[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
"Doing nothing" expressions - Page 4 - UniLang

"Doing nothing" expressions

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderators: Car, Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Global Moderators

Varislintu
Language Forum Moderator

Re: "Doing nothing" expressions

Postby Varislintu » 2014-11-13, 11:04

Swedish (at least in Finland):

Spotta i taket. (To spit at the ceiling.)
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Halfdan

Postby Halfdan » 2014-11-13, 12:40

(en-ca) fuck the dog.

This is more for when you're supposed to be working, but instead you're wasting time doing something else (or nothing at all), ie. fuckin' the dog.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-11-14, 5:32

Is "ef the dog" an Eastern-Canadian thing? I've never heard it.
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

Halfdan

Postby Halfdan » 2014-11-14, 18:28

Koko wrote:Is "ef the dog" an Eastern-Canadian thing? I've never heard it.

I can't say if it's limited to certain regions or not. I've heard it used in several blue-collar jobs I've had (eg. custodian, factory), so it may be limited to such environments. And it may not be limited to Canada. I looked it up on wiktionary and found it's usage as: "vulgar, uncommon, Canada".

EDIT: a less vulgur alternative I've heard is "screw the pooch" as in "stop screwin' the pooch and get back to work". :)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-11-14, 19:07

Halfdan wrote:EDIT: a less vulgur alternative I've heard is "screw the pooch" as in "stop screwin' the pooch and get back to work". :)

See, IMD, "screw the pooch" means "fuck up", e.g. "You really screwed the pooch that time." See: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/screw_the_pooch.

(A great alternative to this I read recently in an article about Pirate Joe's, the rogue Trader Joe's in Vancouver, was "set oneself on fire", i.e. "Trader Joe's has basically set themselves on fire with this one.")
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Return to “General Language Forum”