[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
"Doing nothing" expressions - Page 2 - UniLang

"Doing nothing" expressions

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderators: Car, Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Global Moderators

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Re: "Doing nothing" expressions

Postby Sol Invictus » 2011-05-12, 15:52

I think I read somwhere that Lithuanian youth uses "grind shit" for this. Anyway I think there are plenty expressions for this in Latvian, two I remember - sist suņus (to kill dogs) and gurķoties (to cucumber). BTW I thought that to watch grass grow would be rather frustrating.
I speak:  (lv) (en) I understand some:  (de) (ru) Toying with:  (es)

danciprian

Postby danciprian » 2011-05-13, 9:02

quite funny that one with gurķoties (to cucumber)...I didn't knew that can be a verb... :D
En arhe en ho logos, kai logos en pros ton Theon, kai Theos en ho logos!

Levo

Postby Levo » 2011-05-13, 13:41

danciprian wrote:quite funny that one with gurķoties (to cucumber)...I didn't knew that can be a verb... :D

..."Uborkázni"...we should use that in Hungarian! :)

Otherwise we say:
To fuck copper
To rub off ("He's just sitting at home and rubs off")

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2011-05-13, 18:08

I guess anything can be verb, if you add "to"
Levo wrote:To fuck copper

That's nice, it translates also as "to fuck power" (the government) in Latvian, people here would love it
I speak:  (lv) (en) I understand some:  (de) (ru) Toying with:  (es)

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2011-05-13, 23:24

Swedish:
"slå dank" = 'shoot a steel marble'
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2011-05-14, 1:36

In Brazil I've heard ''estar de bobeira''
:lol: (=to be goofing around)
http://www.dicionariodegirias.com.br/giria.do?giria=292

:mrgreen:
learning:  (ne)  (sv)  (es-ar)  (hi) (Assamese, Gujarati, Hindi, Telugu)

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2011-05-14, 2:26

I would've added chill or kick it, but apparently these imply action...
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

danciprian

Postby danciprian » 2011-05-14, 13:47

I wanted to see how many ways of saying that you do nothing there are. obviously, most of them include some "fuck" action, and there are some...

please...go on...

aştept să crească iarba- i wait the grass to grow.

xkuehn
Country: ZA South Africa (Suid-Afrika / uMzantsi Afrika / South Africa)

Postby xkuehn » 2011-07-21, 18:54

[flag]af[/flag]

hande in die sakke staan = standing hands in pockets
tande/tone tel = counting teeth/toes
bolletjies rol = rolling balls (as in, making balls of mud or whatever by rolling between the hands)
soos 'n koeipaal op die plaas stand = standing like a "cow-pole" on the farm (a "cow-pole" being a pole planted for tying a difficult cow to milk her)
met jou siel onder jou arm rondloop = walking around with ones soul under ones arm
Native: [flag]af[/flag][flag]en[/flag]. Intermediate: [flag]de[/flag][flag]nl[/flag]. Beginner: [flag]ja[/flag][flag]st[/flag].
Google Translate wrote:And Google Translator, Babel Fish translation costs excretion.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2011-07-22, 9:48

xkuehn wrote:met jou siel onder jou arm rondloop = walking around with ones soul under ones arm

'met de ziel onder de arm lopen' in Dutch means that you're worried about something...

I can't think of any Dutch expression about 'doing nothing', except 'de tijd doden' (to kill time). I hope this means we're just very productive, but I probably forgot a lot of quite logical expressions :wink: I'll think about it.
Interests: lots.
Motivation: little.

Corrections appreciated.

xkuehn

Postby xkuehn » 2011-07-22, 10:41

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:'met de ziel onder de arm lopen' in Dutch means that you're worried about something...

It's related. The original meaning of "soul" is "mind" in this expression.

It implies that you're worried and thus wandering around aimlessly, unable to do anything about whatever worries you. Drop either the worrying part or the aimlessness part, and you have different meanings.
Native: [flag]af[/flag][flag]en[/flag]. Intermediate: [flag]de[/flag][flag]nl[/flag]. Beginner: [flag]ja[/flag][flag]st[/flag].
Google Translate wrote:And Google Translator, Babel Fish translation costs excretion.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2011-07-22, 10:47

xkuehn wrote:
Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:'met de ziel onder de arm lopen' in Dutch means that you're worried about something...

It's related. The original meaning of "soul" is "mind" in this expression.

It implies that you're worried and thus wandering around aimlessly, unable to do anything about whatever worries you. Drop either the worrying part or the aimlessness part, and you have different meanings.

Well, that's very interesting :)

I googled a bit, still couldn't find good Dutch translations, hm...
Interests: lots.
Motivation: little.

Corrections appreciated.

Baby Doe

Postby Baby Doe » 2011-07-29, 12:21

haha funy question :)
in croatia we have "čupati pa saditi" which is really hard to translate in english, but would mean sth like "to uproot and than to root back in" :D
and also "krasti bogu dane", meaning to steal the days God has to give to people, sth like that.
"your face is beautiful, i'll give you that. sad puppy eyes, birds-in-flight lips, rocker-sloppy floppy hair. but your heart --"
"oh god."
"no, let me finish. your heart is so much more. you could fit the world inside there and feel it ache. that's what your pulse is. it's not blood, no ventricle contraction or atrium expansion, it's ...love. it's the ache of the world in your chest. that's why you're beautiful."

xkuehn

Postby xkuehn » 2011-07-29, 13:36

Baby Doe wrote:"krasti bogu dane", meaning to steal the days God has to give to people, sth like that.

When I read that sentence, I suddenly realised that I (all of us?) have missed something obvious. "Doing nothing" can also refer not just to idleness/killing time but also to letting things be. When you mentioned God, I thought of [flag]af[/flag] "Gods water oor Gods akker laat loop", lit. "letting God's water flow over God's land".

Did Danciprian want us to include these expressions?

danciprian

Postby danciprian » 2012-01-19, 15:31

well i ment mostly ...doing nothing. like killing time.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2012-01-19, 20:57

"All day long I stayed home and fucked the dog."

rykketid

Postby rykketid » 2012-02-03, 17:36

In Italian:

bighellonare & cazzeggiare mean that you're killing time

Stare con le mani in mano instead means that you should do something quite urgently but you are actually doing nothing. It's really hard to translate it... I'll do a word-for-word translation:

stare = to stay

con = with

le mani = hands

in = in

mano = hand

Don't try to look for a literal meaning because it doesn't even have one in the original version.

Bernard

Postby Bernard » 2012-02-03, 18:05

[flag]la[/flag] Latin:

desidem sedere (deses = inactive, sedere = to sit)

compressis quod aiunt manibus sedere (compressis manibus = with hands pressed together, quod aiunt = as the saying is, sedere v. s., cf. Italian "stare con le mani in mano")

nihil agere (nihil = nothing, agere = to do),

etc. etc.

:sleep:

Aóristos
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Aóristos » 2012-02-03, 18:21

stà a rattà le palle - to be scratching one's balls
stà a mantenè lu cugliuno - to be holding one's [penis]
Native: American English (en-us) Pizzonese Neapolitan (nap) | Advanced: [none…] | Intermediate: Greek (el) Mexican Spanish (es-mx) Italian (it) Persian (fa) Brazilian Portuguese (pt-br) French (passive) (fr)
Starting: Polish (pl) Urdu (ur) Azerbaijani (az) | Future: Attic Greek (grc) Romanian (ro) Irish (ga) Sicilian (scn) Modern Standard Arabic (ar-arb)

Fulgenzio

Postby Fulgenzio » 2012-02-03, 19:56

Michael wrote:stà a rattà le palle - to be scratching one's balls

Grattarsi le palle/i coglioni is Italian also.
Arcum instensio frangit, animum remissio.

Return to “General Language Forum”