[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
"Doing nothing" expressions - Page 3 - UniLang

"Doing nothing" expressions

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderators: Car, Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Global Moderators

Aóristos
Language Forum Moderator

Re: "Doing nothing" expressions

Postby Aóristos » 2012-02-03, 23:00

quanver wrote:Grattarsi le palle/i coglioni is Italian also.
Which reminds me: I think I misspelled what was supposed to be le cugliune. :doh:
Native: American English (en-us) Pizzonese Neapolitan (nap) | Advanced: [none…] | Intermediate: Greek (el) Mexican Spanish (es-mx) Italian (it) Persian (fa) Brazilian Portuguese (pt-br) French (passive) (fr)
Starting: Polish (pl) Urdu (ur) Azerbaijani (az) | Future: Attic Greek (grc) Romanian (ro) Irish (ga) Sicilian (scn) Modern Standard Arabic (ar-arb)

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2012-02-04, 3:15

Bernard wrote:with hands pressed together

We got that one in Latvian too, though it is said about other people being lazy, not about killing time

Michael wrote:stà a rattà le palle - to be scratching one's balls
stà a mantenè lu cugliuno - to be holding one's [penis]

I am starting to wonder if all sexual references here are accidental
I speak:  (lv) (en) I understand some:  (de) (ru) Toying with:  (es)

Aóristos
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Aóristos » 2012-02-04, 3:45

Yeah...culture shock? :| It's not accidental, just, I don't know...neutral, to me at least? This is perhaps one of the reasons regional vernaculars in Italy are stigmatized (you know, being a "hillbilly speech" of sorts). I failed to have it in mind that other members would find the sexual references a bit...crude (since I'm used to it). I should have said something. :oops:

Now don't get me wrong. Mind you, such phrases still have a rude connotation, especially during family gatherings, but within private speech at home, I can manage to use such phrases without feeling as if it were as taboo as equivalents in English, with other American families being so hung up on etiquette and stuff.
Native: American English (en-us) Pizzonese Neapolitan (nap) | Advanced: [none…] | Intermediate: Greek (el) Mexican Spanish (es-mx) Italian (it) Persian (fa) Brazilian Portuguese (pt-br) French (passive) (fr)
Starting: Polish (pl) Urdu (ur) Azerbaijani (az) | Future: Attic Greek (grc) Romanian (ro) Irish (ga) Sicilian (scn) Modern Standard Arabic (ar-arb)

lu:ka

Postby lu:ka » 2012-03-14, 14:42

another Italian idiom is:

pettinare le bambole (lit. to comb dolls)

mostly used in negative sentences to mean that you're doing what you're supposed to do, e.g. "non sto qui a pettinare le bambole" lit. "I'm not here combing dolls" (that is "I'm actually working")

Glory is like a circle in the water,
Which never ceaseth to enlarge itself,
Till by broad spreading it disperses to naught.
William Shakespeare, First part of King Henry the Sixth, Act I. Scene II.

Half of what I say is meaningless; but I say it so that the other half may reach you.
Gibran Khalil Gibran, Sand and Foam

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2012-03-14, 15:57

Michael wrote:Yeah...culture shock? :| It's not accidental, just, I don't know...neutral, to me at least? This is perhaps one of the reasons regional vernaculars in Italy are stigmatized (you know, being a "hillbilly speech" of sorts). I failed to have it in mind that other members would find the sexual references a bit...crude (since I'm used to it). I should have said something. :oops:

Now don't get me wrong. Mind you, such phrases still have a rude connotation, especially during family gatherings, but within private speech at home, I can manage to use such phrases without feeling as if it were as taboo as equivalents in English, with other American families being so hung up on etiquette and stuff.

What I meant is that it might be a reference to certain... form of personal entertainment that takes place when one supposedly is doing nothing in particular :whistle: Plus, I meant in this topic in general, not just the ones you added, yours are just more straightforward in direction of that sense
I speak:  (lv) (en) I understand some:  (de) (ru) Toying with:  (es)

lu:ka

Postby lu:ka » 2012-03-14, 16:21

Sol Invictus made me think that in Italy (or at least in Rome and its region) we have a variant of "grattarsi i coglioni/le palle" (lit. "to scratch one's own balls", the first version is more vulgar than the second) which is "grattarsi la pancia" (or "la panza" in Roman dialect) which is literally "to scratch one's belly". I guess the latter, milder version originated from the need to use a non rude language in front of kids or in a non-familiar context.

Glory is like a circle in the water,
Which never ceaseth to enlarge itself,
Till by broad spreading it disperses to naught.
William Shakespeare, First part of King Henry the Sixth, Act I. Scene II.

Half of what I say is meaningless; but I say it so that the other half may reach you.
Gibran Khalil Gibran, Sand and Foam

Lada
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Lada » 2012-03-16, 10:40

Some Russian expressions (colloquial):

валять дурака ~ to pretend being dumb (probably the most popular)
пинать балду ~ to kick one's head ("balda" is an archaic word and in contemporary language means "dumb person")
бить баклуши ~ to kick (unknown archaic word)
парить яйца ~ to stew one's balls
просиживать задницу ~ to sag down(?) one's arse

ling

Postby ling » 2012-06-04, 5:03

[flag]zh[/flag] 打混 dǎ hùn - to slack off; to loaf about
Native:  (en) Advanced:  (zh) Actively studying:  (th) (id) Passively dabbling:  (lkt)

ruusukaali

Postby ruusukaali » 2012-06-06, 22:19

[flag]fi[/flag] olla kuin Ellun kanat - to be like Ellu's chickens

maxd.ijn

Postby maxd.ijn » 2012-06-19, 3:55

Coçar o saco: To scratch the balls

Pensar na morte da bezerra: To think in the calf's death

Brizar: "To breeze". I don't know how to properly translate it, but would be something in the sense of letting the thoughts flow without paying attention to what happens in the world. It is very used here nowadays.
Learning:  (de)
Native:  (pt-br); C1:  (en-UK); A2:  (es)
Corrections are welcome! ;)

melski

Postby melski » 2012-06-19, 4:44

Some in [flag]fr[/flag] French :
procrastiner : unlike the English procrastinate, it is a very literary form that no one uses
tuer le temps : to kill time (formal, quite old-fashioned)
(ne) rien foutre : not doing anything (colloquial) (NB : foutre = faire in colloquial speech)
foutre que dalle : same (ex : j'ai foutu que dalle aujourd'hui = j'ai rien foutu)
glander : to bum around (not sure of the translation for this one). This also means that you don't study at school (ex : j'ai rien glandé en physique et j'ai eu mon bac ! I didn't gave a shit in my physics class and still I passed the exam !). >> un glandeur / une glandeuse
rien branler (this has a sexual connotation, since branler means to fap)

There surely are some other expresssions I can't remember
................Native: French (fr) French
................Fluent: English (en) English , Italian (it) Italian
.........Intermediate: German (de) German, Brazilian Portuguese (pt-br) Portuguese
.........Conversational: Catalan (ca) Catalan, Spanish (es) Spanish
....................Learning: Wallisian (East Uvean / faka'uvea) (wls) Wallisian (Video here !)

BlackZ

Postby BlackZ » 2012-06-19, 20:07

maxd.ijn wrote:Coçar o saco: To scratch the balls

Brizar: "To breeze". I don't know how to properly translate it, but would be something in the sense of letting the thoughts flow without paying attention to what happens in the world. It is very used here nowadays.

Não fazer porra nenhuma: "To not do any "porra"" - Porra is a curse word in Brazil akin to "fuck" in English. It's literal meaning is "sperm".

Viajar: "To trip" - more or less the same thing as "brizar" ("brisar"?).
Native:  (pt-br)
Learning:  (en-us)  (fr)  (ja)  (es)  (ca)  (de)

maxd.ijn

Postby maxd.ijn » 2012-06-20, 0:01

BlackZ wrote:
maxd.ijn wrote:Coçar o saco: To scratch the balls

Não fazer porra nenhuma: "To not do any "porra"" - Porra is a curse word in Brazil akin to "fuck" in English. It's literal meaning is "sperm".

Viajar: "To trip" - more or less the same thing as "brizar" ("brisar"?).

Yes, brisar. My mistake, sorry :oops:
Learning:  (de)
Native:  (pt-br); C1:  (en-UK); A2:  (es)
Corrections are welcome! ;)

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2012-06-20, 1:24

maxd.ijn wrote:Brizar: "To breeze". I don't know how to properly translate it, but would be something in the sense of letting the thoughts flow without paying attention to what happens in the world. It is very used here nowadays.
Maybe to daydream or to tune out.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Plaas

Postby Plaas » 2012-06-26, 10:25

In Dutch, we have a verb niksen, which litterally means "to nothing". It is the kind of verb that is not conjugated, however, you use it in stative expressions like Je zit weer te niksen - You are nothinging again. The nonsense-verb lanterfanten has the same meaning.

Of course, we have other expressions to describe doing nothing, however, there are not so many of them and they have negative connotations. A few examples:

met je duimen draaien - Twiddle your thumbs
op z'n krent zitten - sitting on one's ass
uit z'n neus zitten te vreten - litt. being nose-picking
voor zich uit zitten te staren - sit and stare
in Luilekkerland zitten - being in "Luilekkerland", the fictional country for lazy people

There are other expressions for "doing nothing while waiting for someone", such as Ik sta hier wortel te schieten - I am rooting in the ground (If I wait longer, I'd become a plant).
- Plaas' vermannen

Lidmaatschap beëindigd 30-11-2014.

Limagne

Postby Limagne » 2012-06-26, 12:20

In Persian there's دست به سیاه و سفید نزدن / dast be siyâh o sefid nazadan which could be translated literally as 'not to touch [the] black and white'. I have no idea of the origin of this phrase unfortunately :P

Another widely used expression is علاف بودن / 'allâf budan : 'to be idle'. The corresponding noun is علافی / 'allâfi. It seems to refer in particular to young unemployed university graduates who don't seek and try to get a job. The etymology isn't clear either. According to the Dehkhoda dictionary, the original meaning of علاف is grain dealer or rice dealer !

Passe-Cale

Postby Passe-Cale » 2012-07-20, 18:04

I'm bored, so let's add some to the list. :D

In [flag]fr-QC[/flag] Québec French, we say

fouarrer : to just lay there, doing nothing. E.g. J'ai juste envie de fouarrer à soir. I just want to do nothing tonight. Not to confuse with fourrer (to fuck).

se pogner le cul : to grab one's ass. E.g. Je me pogne le cul à la job.

se pogner le beigne : to grab one's doughnut. A more scrupulous version of se pogner le cul.

végéter : to vegetate, being like a vegetable.

vedger : a shortened version of végéter.
Native : [flag]fr-QC[/flag] . . Fluent : [flag]en-CA[/flag] . .. . .. . .Currently interested in : [flag]ru[/flag] [flag]sv[/flag] [flag]he[/flag]
Conversant : [flag]es[/flag] [flag]zh.Hans[/flag] [flag]eo[/flag] . . . . . Also studied : [flag]grc[/flag] [flag]la[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag] [flag]it[/flag] [flag]de[/flag] [flag]ja[/flag]

SarahR

Postby SarahR » 2014-11-05, 2:32

I would say... hanging out. Usually it describes being with a group of friends and just being together not doing anything.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-11-08, 21:05

danciprian wrote:a taia frunza la caini= :D , i cannot find a significative translation
Cutting grass at the dogs.

Yeah, that's one of my favourites.
Hungarian (hu) Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára. _______German (de) Wo ein Wille ist, da ist auch ein Weg.
English (en) Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. __Spanish (es) No hay ceguera peor que no querer mirar.
Romanian (ro) Nu întinde arcul până nu este bine aşezată săgeata.

Dr. House

Postby Dr. House » 2014-11-13, 9:53

flákat se, zevlovat - to bum around
kopat se do prdele - to kick one's ass
dělat hovno - to do shit
Language experimenter

Return to “General Language Forum”