[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
The last word of your mother tongue you have learnt ? - UniLang

The last word of your mother tongue you have learnt ?

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderators: Car, Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Global Moderators

IpseDixit

The last word of your mother tongue you have learnt ?

Postby IpseDixit » 2013-06-16, 9:56

If you do not remember exactly the last one, you can write one of the last.

Possibly not technical words.

Marah
Language Forum Moderator

Re: The last word of your mother tongue you have learnt ?

Postby Marah » 2013-06-16, 10:28

[flag]fr[/flag] cacochyme [flag]en[/flag] doddery
Par exemple, l'enfant croit au Père Noël. L'adulte non. L'adulte ne croit pas au Père Noël. Il vote.

TheStrayCat

Postby TheStrayCat » 2013-06-16, 10:32

[flag]uk[/flag] линва
(tow, cable)

Mutusen

Postby Mutusen » 2013-06-16, 11:17

A few days ago I looked up a word I didn't know, but I don't remember what it was…

The last new word I remember is amphisbène (amphisbaena in English): a mythological serpent with a head at each end and a family of reptiles that look like big worms (but they're not snakes).
Koľko jazykov vieš, toľkokrát si človekom.
French slang blog

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2013-06-16, 12:57

I haven't learned a new Croatian word in 10 years, except for latinisms and grecisms of medicine (which are not used by people not familiar with the medical jargon anyway).
learning:  (ne)  (sv)  (es-ar)  (hi) (Assamese, Gujarati, Hindi, Telugu)

JackFrost
Global Moderator

Postby JackFrost » 2013-06-16, 17:01

Picked randomly from the top of my head, "collusion", "audacity", and "asinine". The former two were learnt via French before I came across the English cognates and the latter was learnt from the native speakers. If I have to think of words directly from the native vocabulary (read: no old or new Latinate-Greek loanwords), it's hard since there aren't many usual ones that I don't know yet. "Wordcraft" is one of them.
Neferuj paħujkij!

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-06-16, 19:09

Probably a botanical term. Only two hours ago I learned about the genus Muehlenbeckia when we bought something called "wire vine" at the garden shop. If that's too "technical", then perhaps kei-apple (Dovyalis caffra), and East African tree with edible fruits which I first read about less than two weeks ago.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2013-06-16, 19:30

Vietnamese:

ngự thiện - the Emperor's activity of having a meal

ban thiện - the Emperor's action of inviting a mandarin to his meal

Nguyễn Dynasty stuff.
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

Levike

Postby Levike » 2013-06-16, 19:52

These are the last words I learnt in Hungarian:

sárgarépa
padlizsán
bögre
Hungarian (hu) Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára. _______German (de) Wo ein Wille ist, da ist auch ein Weg.
English (en) Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. __Spanish (es) No hay ceguera peor que no querer mirar.
Romanian (ro) Nu întinde arcul până nu este bine aşezată săgeata.

Halfdan

Postby Halfdan » 2013-06-17, 4:02

[flag]en[/flag] goitre

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-06-17, 5:05

[flag]en-us[/flag] derecho

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2013-06-17, 8:27

Well, to learn a new word you have to hear it more often... Lately my wife said a word I didn't know and she explained it to me, but now I can't remember what it was anymore :hmm:
Interests: lots.
Motivation: little.

Corrections appreciated.

Allekanger

Postby Allekanger » 2013-06-17, 15:13

[flag]sv[/flag] onasig or older onasug(er)

It's an old, rarely used word that means 'filthy', ish. I don't think many people know about it. My dad commented on something using this word and I was like wuuut, and he explained it to me. It's always fun to learn new words!
- svenska, English, español, 日本語, (julev)sámegiella, kalaallisut.

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2013-06-19, 2:21

[flag]lv[/flag] piemitnis - a person who works small piece of arable land (it's 19th century term)
I speak:  (lv) (en) I understand some:  (de) (ru) Toying with:  (es)

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2013-06-19, 5:10

Korean
Usually they're neologisms or slangs... just three that come to my mind right now

답정남(m.)/답정녀(f.)
acronymic for "답이 정해진 남자/답이 정해진 여자"
lit. man / woman with predetermined answers
Someone who engages in a conversation or counseling with another person already with an answer he/she wants to hear. For such persons, the entire conversation is a way to hear what s/he wants to hear and feel assured.

팬픽이반
compound: "fan-fiction" and "queer"
Adolescents (mostly girls, a few boys) who fantasize about and sometimes engage in homoerotic relationships as a result of exposure to large amount of fan-fictions with homoerotic ("BL") contents. They usually outgrow the situation in a few years' time, though a small number remain homosexual later on. They are usually negatively seen by the queer communities.

유럽짱깨
compound: "Europe" and "Chinese" (derogatory)
A jocular term for France. It makes a reference to the similarities between France and China, in that they are/were dominant cultures in their respective continents, have a strong culinary radition and have a strong national pride. While the second element of the compound is a derogatory term for Chinese, the whole compound seems to be more jocular than racist- who cares about France in Asia anyways?
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Varislintu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Varislintu » 2013-06-19, 6:11

Levente.Maier wrote:These are the last words I learnt in Hungarian:

sárgarépa

Carrot? I already knew that one. :lol: How can you not have run into that word before? :hmm:
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Levike

Postby Levike » 2013-06-19, 14:16

Varislintu wrote:Carrot? I already knew that one. :lol: How can you not have run into that word before? :hmm:

Well, I'm Transylvanian Hungarian and for carrot we say "murok" and never never "sárgarépa".
Hungarian (hu) Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára. _______German (de) Wo ein Wille ist, da ist auch ein Weg.
English (en) Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. __Spanish (es) No hay ceguera peor que no querer mirar.
Romanian (ro) Nu întinde arcul până nu este bine aşezată săgeata.

Lur

Postby Lur » 2013-06-19, 23:59

Entreteto: space between breasts.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-06-20, 3:02

Lur wrote:Entreteto: space between breasts.

AKA "Victoria's Secret Compartment".

Lur

Postby Lur » 2013-06-20, 5:48

Empreñar: either to fecundate someone or to bother someone.

Return to “General Language Forum”