[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Words in Your Language that don't exist in English - Page 7 - UniLang

Words in Your Language that don't exist in English

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderators: Car, Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Global Moderators

Marah
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Words in Your Language that don't exist in English

Postby Marah » 2014-09-23, 16:24

linguoboy wrote:I don't think it corresponds to "fatherland" (which is a calque of German Vaterland in any case), I think it maps to "homeland".

"Homeland" is usually just your native country, right? Heimat can be more local than that, I guess.
Par exemple, l'enfant croit au Père Noël. L'adulte non. L'adulte ne croit pas au Père Noël. Il vote.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-09-23, 16:42

Marah wrote:
linguoboy wrote:I don't think it corresponds to "fatherland" (which is a calque of German Vaterland in any case), I think it maps to "homeland".

"Homeland" is usually just your native country, right? Heimat can be more local than that, I guess.

Not necessarily. The alternative title of the well-known Irish ballad "This is my homeland" is "My Donegal". Ireland is never mentioned in the song, but the name of the county is. Googling "is my homeland" brought up such hits as "Portland is my homeland", "Bulacan is my homeland", and "The sea is my homeland".

Unless you're dealing with very specific terminology, the mapping of nouns between languages is almost always many-to-many as opposed to one-to-one. There's no single word in English which corresponds to "Heimat"; depending on the context I might use "homeland", "home", "home state/town", etc. But by the same token, there's no single term in German (or any other language I know) corresponding to "home". You might use "Heim", "Heimat", "Heimstatt", "Zuhause", etc. But for some reason I never see "home" on these lists of "untranslatable words".
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-09-25, 15:55

modus.irrealis wrote:(But "score" is not that uncommon, is it? At least, it's the only word I know to describe what you should do to a sausage before you grill it. Is there another word/expression for that?)
Google says "score" is not uncommon in this context, and also some sites say "prick".

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-10-03, 23:18

I'm not sure there's something like this in English:

(it) accontentarsi - enjoy and be happy about what you already have and stop desiring more or better things (it can be used both for material and non-material things). It has a negative nuance because the happiness in question is not exactly true but rather a sort of resigned "happiness", and you stop desiring not because you are truly satisfied with what you have but actually because you force yourself not to desire.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-10-04, 0:50

"settle"
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-10-04, 1:50

Also "to content oneself", which seems to mean the same thing as the Italian.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-10-04, 4:16

"To content oneself"? How odd, I don't seem to remember ever having seen that before. :hmm:

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2014-10-04, 4:25

I know you're not one to settle, but you'll just have to content yourself with "to content oneself".
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-10-04, 5:11

Dormouse559 wrote:I know you're not one to settle, but you'll just have to content yourself with "to content oneself".

Beautiful work!

I would say "to content oneself" is more formal than "to settle," so perhaps this is why you aren't acquainted with it, vijay?
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-10-04, 6:09

Dormouse559 wrote:I know you're not one to settle

Since when? More like I'm not one to argue. :P
Koko wrote:I would say "to content oneself" is more formal than "to settle," so perhaps this is why you aren't acquainted with it, vijay?

Maybe. I dunno. I can't think of a single time I've ever seen that phrase.

Keltane

Postby Keltane » 2014-10-22, 9:42

Some Finnish words that don't exist in English:

nukahtaa (to fall asleep)
jaksaa (feel like doing something, have energy to do something)
tiskata (to do the dishes)
ehtiä (make it, have time)
sopiva (just right, not too much or too little)
toissapäivänä (the day before yesterday)
ylihuomenna (the day after tomorrow)
hyvästellä (to say goodbye)
hävetä (to be ashamed)
armahtaa (to have mercy on)
vahingonilo (to feel pleasure for someone's misfortune)

Youngfun
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Youngfun » 2014-10-24, 9:01

I thought the translation of "accontentarsi (di)" was "to be content (with)".
Though, most cases I would translate "mi accontento" with "that's enough for me".

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-10-24, 15:45

Youngfun wrote:I thought the translation of "accontentarsi (di)" was "to be content (with)".

One of the most important lessons I ever learned about language was, "Words don't have translations; utterances do." That is, it's a fallacy to think of each word or phrase as having a particular equivalent in a certain target language. The relationship is always many-to-many.

Ciarán12
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Ciarán12 » 2015-03-08, 18:01

Not my language, but:  (ja) 愉快犯 - /ju:kaihaN/ - criminal who takes delight in people's reaction to his crimes.
Beidh Gaeilge líofa chruinn bhlasta agam nó go bhfaighe mé bás san iarracht!

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2015-03-08, 19:16

Keltane wrote:Some Finnish words that don't exist in English:

nukahtaa (to fall asleep)

following this logic you may say there's no word for ice cream in English (since it's '' two words''),
and you may want you state that Vietnamese lacks 50% words compared to Finnish or Italian (because 50 % of Vietnamese vocabulary consists of two-syllable words with a space between)...So... English (at least British English) had a word for ice cream (when it was spelled ice-cream), but now when the unjoined spelling is compulsory, English lost this word? :roll: Fall asleep is, just like ice cream is, a two-part word, semantically speaking (rather than orthographically).

Do linguists—scientists of words—agree? In fact they don't tend to use word to mean anything very precise, instead discussing the likes of morphemes and listemes and syntactic atoms. In the glossary of his book The Language Instinct, Steven Pinker explains this last term as "one of the senses of 'word,' defined as an entity that the rules of syntax cannot separate or rearrange." That seems to be the sense of word that your brother has in mind. He's right that ice cream is a word for some purposes.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... rt/302886/
learning:  (ne)  (sv)  (es-ar)  (hi) (Assamese, Gujarati, Hindi, Telugu)

Return to “General Language Forum”