[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Random language thread 3 - UniLang

Random language thread 3

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderators: Car, Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Global Moderators

Johanna

Random language thread 3

Postby Johanna » 2014-11-24, 6:08

Continuation of Random language thread 2.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting.

Koko

Re: Random language thread 3

Postby Koko » 2014-11-24, 7:46

That thread served us well :cry: . It lived a good hundred-paged life.

Unrelated to all those previous posts, but related somewhat to Lauren's (wanted to call you Lowena, but I remembered you changed nicks):

Japanese is so intoxicating! I would love to finish it, but I think I'd rather wait 'till I'm done Gr. 11 Japanese to study it alone (I'll kind of have to since that's when it is last offered at school). I love listening to songs in it that I need to understand the lyrics; more than just pronouns particles and a few nouns and verbs. Not really wanderlust (or I'd post it in that thread), but almost — even though I'm learning it in school :lol: .
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2014-11-24, 8:28

Cool to see my idea for a thread has spawned a second sequel (spiritual successor, to be more correct). ;)

I'm glad you're loving Japanese, Koko.! I wish I could find some songs I like in Mohawk, but I don't know of any Mohawk artists or bands. Like rock or pop or something. :lol:
     Native:  (en-US)
Advanced:  (eu)
 Learning:  (la)

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-11-24, 9:14

I'd love to find some Cree bands/artists! It seems western Canadian aboriginals tend to have more traditional songs which rarely carry any meaningful lyrics. I could just be not getting any results on Google. I think the reason for that, though, is because the Native languages are used more for casual occasions.

[Edit] Yep, Google just wasn't giving results before :roll: . I found this website with a list of Cree bands and artists! I'll definitely look into some of them ^^
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-11-24, 21:06

In Hungarian e is always /ɛ/ and é is always /e:/.

But Italian for example really manages to confuse me.
To me it seems like you randomly pronounce e like /ɛ/ or /e/.
Hungarian (hu) Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára. _______German (de) Wo ein Wille ist, da ist auch ein Weg.
English (en) Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. __Spanish (es) No hay ceguera peor que no querer mirar.
Romanian (ro) Nu întinde arcul până nu este bine aşezată săgeata.

Lazar Taxon

Postby Lazar Taxon » 2014-11-24, 21:29

Yeah, remembering the values of e and o is probably the most annoying feature of the language for me.
Native:  (en-us) Good:  (es)  (fr) Okay:  (de)  (la) Beginning:  (it) Interested in:  (he)  (hi)  (ru)

Today we are cats in the apocalypse!

loqu
Language Forum Moderator
Location: Sevilla (Andalucía) and València (País Valencià), but originally from Cádiz (Andalucía)

Postby loqu » 2014-11-24, 21:32

Lazar Taxon wrote:Yeah, remembering the values of e and o is probably the most annoying feature of the language for me.

It's like that in Catalan and Portuguese as well.

Damn you, Romance languages!!
De tant que et vull, et trac un ull.
Qui no vulga pols, que no vaja a l'era.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2014-11-24, 22:13

Levike wrote:But Italian for example really manages to confuse me.

Doesn't it depend on whether the vowel is in an open syllable or closed?
     Native:  (en-US)
Advanced:  (eu)
 Learning:  (la)

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-11-24, 22:23

loqu wrote:Damn you, Romance languages!!
Romanian is normal though, it has only /e/. :wink:
Hungarian (hu) Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára. _______German (de) Wo ein Wille ist, da ist auch ein Weg.
English (en) Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. __Spanish (es) No hay ceguera peor que no querer mirar.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-11-24, 22:48

Lauren wrote:
Levike wrote:But Italian for example really manages to confuse me.

Doesn't it depend on whether the vowel is in an open syllable or closed?

Provided that there is a rule, I don't think it's that simple... for example:

telefono (te-le-fo-no) is pronounced [te'lɛfono]
selezione (se-le-zio-ne) ---> [sele't͜sjone]
palestra (pa-les-tra) ---> [pa'lɛstra]
testa (tes-ta) ---> ['tɛsta]
badessa (ba-des-sa) ---> [ba'des:a]
meleto (me-le-to) ---> [me'leto]
terrestre (ter-res-tre) ---> [te'r:ɛstre]

I don't see your pattern :hmm:

Not to mention that the pronunciation of E as either [e] or [ɛ] varies depending on the place,
so for example here in Tuscany we say ['t͜ʃɛntro], [ma'ɛstro] and ['sfɛra], whereas in other regions (especially in the North) they say ['t͜ʃentro], [ma'estro] and ['sfera].

The same goes for [o] / [ɔ].

languagepotato

Postby languagepotato » 2014-11-24, 23:05

Levike wrote:
loqu wrote:Damn you, Romance languages!!
Romanian is normal though, it has only /e/. :wink:

and sometimes /je/ :wink:
Motivation is the key to succes but without effort you'll never find its lock.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-11-24, 23:14

languagepotato wrote:
Romanian is normal though, it has only /e/.
and sometimes /je/
In at most 3 or 4 words: eu, a fi

Romanian gets crazy when it comes to the i's.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-11-24, 23:56

loqu wrote:
Lazar Taxon wrote:Yeah, remembering the values of e and o is probably the most annoying feature of the language for me.

I regularly have to think of the Spanish cognate to make sure I'm pronouncing a Catalan mid vowel correctly. (And it took me a long time to get used to the fact that /e/ and /ɛ/ managed to switch places in the Middle Ages. Seriously, who does that?)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Kenny

Postby Kenny » 2014-11-25, 0:26

loqu wrote:

I've already resigned myself to never getting those right in Catalan.
For some reason I find it easier to remember them in Italian...

I think you could get away with getting some of them wrong though and chalk it up to "dialectal variation" ... as there is so much of it you're practically guaranteed to pronounce those words in a way that is the actual pronunciation *somewhere*.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-11-25, 9:02

Kenny wrote:I think you could get away with getting some of them wrong though and chalk it up to "dialectal variation" ... as there is so much of it you're practically guaranteed to pronounce those words in a way that is the actual pronunciation *somewhere*.

It's not that simple because pronunciation is supposed to be consistent. If you mix up different "dialectal variations" too frequently then your Italian will become quite awkward.

loqu
Language Forum Moderator
Location: Sevilla (Andalucía) and València (País Valencià), but originally from Cádiz (Andalucía)

Postby loqu » 2014-11-25, 9:42

linguoboy wrote:I regularly have to think of the Spanish cognate to make sure I'm pronouncing a Catalan mid vowel correctly. (And it took me a long time to get used to the fact that /e/ and /ɛ/ managed to switch places in the Middle Ages. Seriously, who does that?)

Do you mean the rule of thumb that if Spanish has a diphthong, Catalan has an open vowel? I followed that at first, but there are some important exceptions (pedra [e]) and now I just go with intuition and luck.

Medieval Romance languages are quite interesting but also as crazy.

Kenny wrote:I think you could get away with getting some of them wrong though and chalk it up to "dialectal variation" ... as there is so much of it you're practically guaranteed to pronounce those words in a way that is the actual pronunciation *somewhere*.

Yeah, that could work with average people who don't even know how it is spoken elsewhere, but with some other people it wouldn't work :lol:

Speaking about regional variation, there's some words that drive me mad. Like por, for example, having Italian paura as a cognate I'd expect it to be [ˈpɔɾ], and it is, in Valencian. But why do people in Catalonia pronounce [ˈpo]? :x
De tant que et vull, et trac un ull.
Qui no vulga pols, que no vaja a l'era.

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2014-11-25, 20:43

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8LxRfdLrlU

Pretty cool video I've found of several Germanic languages, including a handful of different Frisian dialects.
Fluent: (en) Intermediate:  (de) Wants to learn:  (nl) (fr) (ja) (no)

Marah
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Marah » 2014-11-25, 21:04

My favorite is Swiss German but Afrikaans sounds kinda cool too.
Par exemple, l'enfant croit au Père Noël. L'adulte non. L'adulte ne croit pas au Père Noël. Il vote.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-11-25, 21:37

Prowler wrote:Pretty cool video I've found of several Germanic languages.
Cool, I listened to the whole thing and I heard a lot of them for the first time.

West Flemish: ding dang
Dutch: get that potatoe out of your mouth
West Lauwers Frisian: phphphphph + some vowels
Northwest Low Saxon: English?
South Jutlandic: hmm deja vu, I don't know why
Southwest Jutlandic: speaking + hiccups
Danish: Asthma, take a deep breath
Swedish: up and down, up and down
Bokmal: Swedish without enthusiasm
Icelandic: words+lisps
Northland Scots: English with made-up words
Afrikaans: English upgraded
Swiss German: chchchchch
The rest: German kind of ...
Last edited by Levike on 2014-11-25, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2014-11-25, 21:45

Levike wrote:
Prowler wrote:Pretty cool video I've found of several Germanic languages.

The rest: German kind of ...

Omncluding Norwegian?

Also, why did the Danish part have subtitles... in Danish? I know Danish is hard to understand but the woman seemed to speak fairly clearly for a Danish speaker. Her pronunciation didn't seem that different from the written words.
Fluent: (en) Intermediate:  (de) Wants to learn:  (nl) (fr) (ja) (no)

Return to “General Language Forum”