[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Random language thread 3 - Page 26 - UniLang

Random language thread 3

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderators: Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Car, Global Moderators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Random language thread 3

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-03-06, 20:23

The discussion about Ladin vs. Catalan here reminds me of Romani (I mean, okay, there are similar problems with various languages, really, but still). Romani is usually classified as Central Indo-Aryan, but it was classified as Dardic earlier, and tbh I've never found Turner's argument for it being a CIA language entirely convincing. Given how messy subcategorization is within Indo-Iranian, I'm not sure we're in a position to say where Romani fits in there.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-03-07, 1:19

Hears something I think Vijay will like:

An article on the preservation efforts of Michif made the front page of today's local paper! :mrgreen: It mentioned the cultural ties languages have.... and thought, "Great! It's not just a few people on an obsolete forum that think a language's cultural ties should be taken into consideration."

That's the first time I've seen anything relating to language in a paper, then again, I rarely read the paper :lol: .
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-03-07, 5:28

That's cool, Koko. Thanks for sharing! :D

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-03-08, 7:32

There are a number of words in English that my parents pronounce differently from Americans. I'm pretty sure some of these are straight-up Indian English; for example, for them, the stressed syllable in the word communist is the second one, not the first one (compare commune, community, etc.). So it's [kəmˈmjuːɳɪst] for them. My dad also keeps saying "contempulate" [kəɳˈʈɛmpjulejt] instead of "contemplate." I've also seen my mom pronouncing <qu> as [kʲʊʋ], so she pronounces 'queen' as [kʲʊˈʋɪn], and one time, I also noticed that she said she was going to go take a [kʲʋɪk] (quick) shower.
Last edited by vijayjohn on 2015-03-08, 9:31, edited 1 time in total.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2015-03-08, 9:30

Do Americans say commune? I would say commune, I had no idea it was pronounced that way over there, and normally I'm quite used to most (general) American forms.

(oc) Dison los estatsunidencs commune? Ieu diriái commune, aviái pas idèa que ailí s'i pronunciès aital, e normalament soi plan acostumat a la màger part de fòrmas estatsunidencas "generalas".
ماں بولی = قومی بولی

پنجابی بولو، پنجابی پڑھو، پنجابی لکھو

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-03-08, 9:34

Argh, you're right, they do say commune! :P Sorry, my bad. :lol:

But still, of course, there's other words that begin with "commun-" like community, communal, communion...

EDIT: Well, OK, and then there's commune the noun vs. commune the verb...:P

Varislintu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Varislintu » 2015-03-13, 9:24

So we were google imaging the word mignon, because my boyfriend said it was the name of a cake, and I didn't remember what it looks like, and among the pictures of cakes and slabs of cooked meat and kittens, there were regularly pictures of certain yellow cartoon characters.

And I was like "that's weird..."

And then I realised that the cartoon characters are known as minions! :lol:
Last edited by Varislintu on 2015-03-13, 15:01, edited 1 time in total.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Marah
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Marah » 2015-03-13, 11:14

Is it a French cake? It means "cute".
Par exemple, l'enfant croit au Père Noël. L'adulte non. L'adulte ne croit pas au Père Noël. Il vote.

Varislintu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Varislintu » 2015-03-13, 14:59

Marah wrote:Is it a French cake? It means "cute".

Yeah, I know, and that's probably why all the kittens. :P In Finland we have mignon eggs which are a specific brand of chocolate easter egg. But at least in Hungary it signifies a small, often cube shaped little portion cake covered with sugar icing. Often they come in many colours (and flavours). Like this.

But the leap to minion was just so surprising I found it hilarious. :lol:
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-03-13, 16:14

Varislintu wrote:But the leap to minion was just so surprising I found it hilarious. :lol:

I was just wondering whether minion came from mignon, and sure enough, it does. :)

Saim

Postby Saim » 2015-03-14, 19:53

(pl) Dzisiaj spacerowałem po mieście i rozmawiałem z dwoma białorusinami i jednym pryjacielem z fakultetu, który dobrze mówi po rosyjsku. Ja też spróbowałem, ale nie znam rosyjskiego, więc w końcu mówiłem po ukraińsko-polsko-rosyjsko-serbsku. I wszyjstko rozumieli. :D Na przykład:

(sr) Danas sam prošetao i razgovarao s dva Belorusa i jednim mojim prijateljem sa fakulteta koji dobro govoro ruski. I ja sam probao ali ne znam ruski pa sam na kraju govorio na ukrajinsko-poljsko-rusko-srpskom. I sve su razumeli. :D Na primer:

(uk) (ru) "U mené pahmelje, patamú ja nie hóču na vjerh."
 (pl) (ru)"Eta tože budynek naszeva fakultetu"
 (sr) (ru)"Ja nie slušál"
 (sr) (pl) (uk) (ru)"Ja hažu na fakultet čtery dni w nedelji, ale w četvrtak ja maju toljka jedne zajetje."
ماں بولی = قومی بولی

پنجابی بولو، پنجابی پڑھو، پنجابی لکھو

IpseDixit
Banned user
Banned user

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-03-14, 20:20

I wonder if it's possible to learn some Romani or if it's completely inaccessible in terms of resources.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-03-14, 20:37

IpseDixit wrote:I wonder if it's possible to learn some Romani or if it's completely inaccessible in terms of resources.
There are definitely resources out there. The difficulty lies in whether there's a particular variety you're interested in. For instance, I once found a terrific site for Burgenland Romani, but I've never seen anything for Sinti.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

IpseDixit
Banned user
Banned user

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-03-14, 20:47

linguoboy wrote:
IpseDixit wrote:I wonder if it's possible to learn some Romani or if it's completely inaccessible in terms of resources.
There are definitely resources out there. The difficulty lies in whether there's a particular variety you're interested in. For instance, I once found a terrific site for Burgenland Romani, but I've never seen anything for Sinti.

Well... for obvious reasons if it were possible, I'd rather study (one of) the dialect(s) of the Italian Roma people.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-03-14, 21:08

Which is one reason why I mention Sinti, since I think they are the predominate group in Italy. However, there are Vlax Romanis there, too, and Vlax is relatively easy to find resources for. vijayjohn should be able to tell you more.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-03-14, 21:13

Well, it's possible to find resources, but they can take a really long time to be delivered. I ordered both A Handbook of Vlax Romani by my former advisor and Learn Romani by Ronald Lee through Amazon. Both of them teach Vlax Romani but (especially the second one) took a really long time to actually get here, and I think the second one at least was also pretty expensive. That's actually everything I've gotten in print besides whatever my advisor's given me for keeps (although that could partly be because some of the more widely available books are also there at the university library).

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-03-15, 7:51

I remember when I was being taught Polish I always disliked their names for the months.
For example instead of the normal januar, februar, april, Poles say styczeń, luty, kwiecień.

They were also surprised that Hungarian uses the regular ones.

So I searched after the old names used by Szekler Hungarians.
My grandmother also had one calendar using these denominations:

January - Fergeteg hava (Storm)
February - Jégbontó hava (Icebreaker)
March - Kikelet hava (Springtime)
April - Szelek hava (Winds)
May - Ígéret hava (Promise)
June - Napisten hava (Sun God)
July - Áldás hava (Blessing)
August - Újkenyér hava (New Bread)
September - Földanya hava (Earth Mother)
October - Magvető hava (Seedsman)
November - Enyészet hava (Decay)
December - Álom hava (Dream)

"Hava" simply means "the month of".

After this we had a Catholic one based on Biblical stuff
and only then we passed onto using the regular names.
Hungarian (hu) Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára. _______German (de) Wo ein Wille ist, da ist auch ein Weg.
English (en) Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. __Spanish (es) No hay ceguera peor que no querer mirar.
Romanian (ro) Nu întinde arcul până nu este bine aşezată săgeata.

Marah
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Marah » 2015-03-15, 9:35

Saim wrote: (pl) Dzisiaj spacerowałem po mieście i rozmawiałem z dwoma białorusinami i jednym pryjacielem z fakultetu, który dobrze mówi po rosyjsku. Ja też spróbowałem, ale nie znam rosyjskiego, więc w końcu mówiłem po ukraińsko-polsko-rosyjsko-serbsku. I wszyjstko rozumieli. :D Na przykład:

(sr) Danas sam prošetao i razgovarao s dva Belorusa i jednim mojim prijateljem sa fakulteta koji dobro govoro ruski. I ja sam probao ali ne znam ruski pa sam na kraju govorio na ukrajinsko-poljsko-rusko-srpskom. I sve su razumeli. :D Na primer:

(uk) (ru) "U mené pahmelje, patamú ja nie hóču na vjerh."
 (pl) (ru)"Eta tože budynek naszeva fakultetu"
 (sr) (ru)"Ja nie slušál"
 (sr) (pl) (uk) (ru)"Ja hažu na fakultet čtery dni w nedelji, ale w četvrtak ja maju toljka jedne zajetje."

That's awesome. :lol:
Par exemple, l'enfant croit au Père Noël. L'adulte non. L'adulte ne croit pas au Père Noël. Il vote.

IpseDixit
Banned user
Banned user

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-03-15, 16:43

vijayjohn wrote:Well, it's possible to find resources, but they can take a really long time to be delivered. I ordered both A Handbook of Vlax Romani by my former advisor and Learn Romani by Ronald Lee through Amazon. Both of them teach Vlax Romani but (especially the second one) took a really long time to actually get here, and I think the second one at least was also pretty expensive. That's actually everything I've gotten in print besides whatever my advisor's given me for keeps (although that could partly be because some of the more widely available books are also there at the university library).

Thanks! Is Learn Romani this one?

Aóristos
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Aóristos » 2015-03-15, 18:52

Levike wrote:I remember when I was being taught Polish I always disliked their names for the months.
For example instead of the normal januar, februar, april, Poles say styczeń, luty, kwiecień.

They were also surprised that Hungarian uses the regular ones.

Why? If anything, I think it's great that the Poles (and the Croats) didn't cave in to the boring Latin names for the months and held fast to their indigenous ones.
Native: American English (en-us) Pizzonese Neapolitan (nap) | Advanced: [none…] | Intermediate: Greek (el) Mexican Spanish (es-mx) Italian (it) Persian (fa) Brazilian Portuguese (pt-br) French (passive) (fr)
Starting: Polish (pl) Urdu (ur) Azerbaijani (az) | Future: Attic Greek (grc) Romanian (ro) Irish (ga) Sicilian (scn) Modern Standard Arabic (ar-arb)

Return to “General Language Forum”