[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
Uncommon/unusual language features - UniLang

Uncommon/unusual language features

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderators: Car, Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Global Moderators

Vlürch

Uncommon/unusual language features

Postby Vlürch » 2015-03-06, 11:58

I've posted about this before (and I'm sure others have as well), but I figured I'd start an actual thread for it. I'm wondering if there's any site with audio recordings of lesser common consonants and such, like voiceless bilabial implosive and whatnot, because it'd make grasping them a lot easier. Right now, I have literally no clue what that or some other stuff sounds like, and no amount of explanation will help if I can't hear it... so, that's why I'm starting this thread, hoping that there's someone who knows some site where to find recordings or knows how they are and would be awesome enough to record themselves making those sounds.

Also general discussion of sounds that could be but aren't found in (m)any languages, etc. and basically anything "unusual" related to phonetics and/or languages in general. I might record myself making some weird noises later and be like "is there any language that does this?" or whatever, but don't hold your breath because I might get too embarrassed to do it. :lol:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Uncommon/unusual language features

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-03-06, 15:53

Vlürch wrote:I've posted about this before (and I'm sure others have as well), but I figured I'd start an actual thread for it. I'm wondering if there's any site with audio recordings of lesser common consonants and such, like voiceless bilabial implosive and whatnot, because it'd make grasping them a lot easier.

Really? And I never gave you a link or anything? :? Aw, sorry about that. Well, here you go:

http://www.phonetics.ucla.edu/course/ch ... pter1.html

Vlürch

Postby Vlürch » 2015-03-08, 5:51

vijayjohn wrote:
Vlürch wrote:I've posted about this before (and I'm sure others have as well), but I figured I'd start an actual thread for it. I'm wondering if there's any site with audio recordings of lesser common consonants and such, like voiceless bilabial implosive and whatnot, because it'd make grasping them a lot easier.

Really? And I never gave you a link or anything? :? Aw, sorry about that. Well, here you go:

Ohh, thanks!

I recorded myself making some sounds that at least I don't know any languages to have and would be interesting to know if there actually are some that have them... if anyone cares:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1550zyfp2vL
Yeah, it sounds really stupid. :lol:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-03-09, 6:05

Vlürch wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:

Ohh, thanks!

Np. :)
I recorded myself making some sounds that at least I don't know any languages to have and would be interesting to know if there actually are some that have them... if anyone cares:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1550zyfp2vL
Yeah, it sounds really stupid. :lol:

:shock: I'm not really sure, but...you almost sound like you're choking in that recording! Are you okay??? :lol:

Return to “General Language Forum”