[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Native English speakers vs the rest of the world - Page 2 - UniLang

Native English speakers vs the rest of the world

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderators: Car, Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Global Moderators

Levike

Re: Native English speakers vs the rest of the world

Postby Levike » 2015-03-19, 22:05

Yeah, in Warsaw I met a Romanian
who said that he had a horrible time getting around in Budapest.

He wanted to buy a ticket for the metro or the bus
and even though he kept repeating the word "ticket, ticket!", the lady was like "Huh? Mi?".

And still in Warsaw there was a trip organised to Budapest and Vienna
and after coming back, some of my Polish colleagues were like:
"I never had to use more hand gestures in my whole life".

Bad part of having dubbed movies.

But Romanians aren't that good either.
Hungarian (hu) Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára. _______German (de) Wo ein Wille ist, da ist auch ein Weg.
English (en) Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. __Spanish (es) No hay ceguera peor que no querer mirar.
Romanian (ro) Nu întinde arcul până nu este bine aşezată săgeata.

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2015-03-19, 22:53

Levike wrote:Yeah, in Warsaw I met a Romanian
who said that he had a horrible time getting around in Budapest.

He wanted to buy a ticket for the metro or the bus
and even though he kept repeating the word "ticket, ticket!", the lady was like "Huh? Mi?".

And still in Warsaw there was a trip organised to Budapest and Vienna
and after coming back, some of my Polish colleagues were like:
"I never had to use more hand gestures in my whole life".

Bad part of having dubbed movies.

But Romanians aren't that good either.

The last time I was in Budapest, I had to speak German. :P
learning:  (ne)  (sv)  (es-ar)  (hi) (Assamese, Gujarati, Hindi, Telugu)

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-03-19, 23:13

Hey, I know it's not great, but it can't be that bad.

See, that can also be a good thing, provided you're there to learn Hungarian. :lol:
Hungarian (hu) Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára. _______German (de) Wo ein Wille ist, da ist auch ein Weg.
English (en) Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. __Spanish (es) No hay ceguera peor que no querer mirar.
Romanian (ro) Nu întinde arcul până nu este bine aşezată săgeata.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-03-20, 0:34

TeneReef wrote:The last time I was in Budapest, I had to speak German. :P
I didn't have that option, at least not with the policeman I asked for directions. I said, "Beszél angolul?" and he shook his head. Then "Németül?" and he shook it again, saying, "Magyar!" Luckily posta was a word I knew.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-03-20, 1:53

linguoboy wrote:
I didn't have that option, at least not with the policeman I asked for directions. I said, "Beszél angolul?" and he shook his head. Then "Németül?" and he shook it again, saying, "Magyar!" Luckily posta was a word I knew.

Something similar happened when my parents and I went to Zagreb for my cousin's wedding a few years ago. My parents went in one car with the bride and her best friend, who both spoke excellent English, while I was made to go in another with the father of the bride who spoke none at all because they knew I was the only one in our family who spoke any Croatian, so they correctly predicted that I would be just fine with this. I've never been that great at BCS, but it was still fun to try to practice it with like everybody since so many of the people I came across there were monolingual in Croatian.

Varislintu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Varislintu » 2015-03-20, 7:24

Levike wrote:See, that can also be a good thing, provided you're there to learn Hungarian. :lol:

Yeah, I think there's an element of cool in it, too. I mean, it has to say something about the vibrance of thier local entertainment culture that people don't necessarily encounter a need to learn English in order to consume more of it. In a way, good English skill also easily makes the local entertainment culture a bit "lazy". It's easy to just feed the masses whatever crap was produced in an English-speaking country.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2015-03-20, 11:24

Varislintu wrote:Yeah, I think there's an element of cool in it, too. I mean, it has to say something about the vibrance of their local entertainment culture that people don't necessarily encounter a need to learn English in order to consume more of it..
Or they just watch the same Hollywood films as people in other countries, except dubbed instead of subtitled.
I te tīmetanga e putanga mai ana he whakaahua, a, he aroha.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2015-03-20, 12:19

linguoboy wrote:

My parents went on a round trip of Andalusia a few years ago. Both in a shop in one of the most touristy areas of the region and in their hotel (which was full of tourists from all over), they had to try to speak Spanish because English, German, French or Italian was no use since the staff didn't speak anything other than Spanish.

The older people here are, the more likely they are to watch the stuff that is produced by German TV, despite dubbings. That's less true for music, though (there, it seems to be the really old ones who basically just listen to music in German). Watching in English has become more popular (mostly, but not only because of less than legal sources), but there still are plenty of young people who basically just watch US productions, but dubbed in German. Those dubbed vs subbed vs original without subbed discussions regularly make me go :roll: , :ohwell: or :lol: .

Among people my parents' age, knowledge of English seems to depend a lot on the education they received, which also is true for younger people who don't have much contact to English outside of school or university.

My father's English is actually pretty ok (passive much more so than active), although he's mostly exposed to it by music and the odd article written in it. Having a large vocabulary in German (including many less common Greco-Latin loans), speaking French and having learnt Latin certainly helps, though, apart from all the false friends between French and English. It's actually phrasals and the like he's complaining about the most.
Please correct my mistakes!

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-03-20, 13:07

Aurinĭa wrote:
Varislintu wrote:Yeah, I think there's an element of cool in it, too. I mean, it has to say something about the vibrance of their local entertainment culture that people don't necessarily encounter a need to learn English in order to consume more of it..
Or they just watch the same Hollywood films as people in other countries, except dubbed instead of subtitled.
You can't dub songs. (Though you can remake them more easily than a film.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Varislintu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Varislintu » 2015-03-20, 16:20

linguoboy wrote:You can't dub songs. (Though you can remake them more easily than a film.)

It used to be very common to simply remake all popular English-language songs as Finnish version, sung by Finnish artists. But this stopped happening in maybe the '80s or so. Times just changed. But even so the middle class urban youth back in the 60s and 70s still listened to the English originals enough to learn English from it (I'm thinking of my parents again).

In Hungary, of course, there are good reasons why people didn't listen to English songs that much in those decades.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-03-20, 17:12

Varislintu wrote:It used to be very common to simply remake all popular English-language songs as Finnish version, sung by Finnish artists. But this stopped happening in maybe the '80s or so. Times just changed.
Yeah, this used to be common in Germany, too. But Germany was a big enough music market that sometimes even major English-speaking artists (e.g. The Beatles, Johnny Cash) would record German-language versions of their songs. The last one I know who did this was Peter Gabriel, who only did German versions of a couple of his early solo albums.

Return to “General Language Forum”