[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
Mr Zagadka - UniLang

Mr Zagadka

This forum is for games of various sorts. Moderators may lock games that are too similar to already existing ones.

Moderators: Car, Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Global Moderators

モモンガ

Mr Zagadka

Postby モモンガ » 2011-07-23, 17:45

Zagadka: Co to jest? dwie kulki i armatka?
OK, why not make a play for language nerds?
The person asks a question about languages, and writes answer in spoilers, the next one writes if thon was correct

ᏣᎳᎩ ᎦᏬᏂᎯᏍᏗ

What script is it?

Cherokee
[flag]tr[/flag]Türkçe [flag]vi[/flag]㗂越[flag]lo[/flag]ພາສາລາວ[flag]tet[/flag]Prasa Tetun

xkuehn
Country: ZA South Africa (Suid-Afrika / uMzantsi Afrika / South Africa)

Re: Mr Zagadka

Postby xkuehn » 2011-07-30, 9:28

モモンガ wrote:The person asks a question about languages, and writes answer in spoilers, the next one writes if thon was correct

Maybe we'd know how to play if you fixed that sentence.
Native: [flag]af[/flag][flag]en[/flag]. Intermediate: [flag]de[/flag][flag]nl[/flag]. Beginner: [flag]ja[/flag][flag]st[/flag].
Google Translate wrote:And Google Translator, Babel Fish translation costs excretion.

Luna_Lovegood

Postby Luna_Lovegood » 2011-07-30, 10:33

What's wrong with this sentence?

Thon is a gender neutral pronoun.
[flag]ky[/flag][flag]tk[/flag][flag]ko[/flag][flag]ja[/flag][flag]dv[/flag][flag]ru[/flag][flag]uz[/flag][flag]ty[/flag][flag]ug[/flag][flag]kk[/flag]

xkuehn

Postby xkuehn » 2011-07-30, 13:28

Luna_Lovegood wrote:What's wrong with this sentence?

Thon is a gender neutral pronoun.

Ah, now I understand. It's one of those stupid words made up by Newspeak-obsessed feminists. (No offense to the sane feminists. I know you're out there somewhere.) How does モモンガ expect us to know that? There must be a billion of the things.

1) The English gender-neutral pronouns are "he" and "they". Conlangs go here: http://www.unilang.org/viewforum.php?f=85 /mean
2) Ignoring (1) and the excusable fact that it's slightly incorrect English, it's still a highly ambiguous sentence.
A person asks a question about languages, and writes the correct answer in spoilers, the next one asks a new question if he was correct.

3) This is a poorly designed game. It stops the moment that no-one -- at least no-one playing -- knows the answer. This page has had dozens of views and no-one played on.

モモンガ, I suggest that you change the rules to something that's more likely to be played. Here's how I would personally do it:
0) The game starts with a language-related question. Everyone begins with 0 points.
Every time that you post after that, do the following:
1) Give yourself 1 point and put your current score in your post.
2) If the poster immediately before you answered his question incorrectly, you can give the correct answer to take 2 of his points. ("I don't know" counts for this purpose.)
3) If the poster immediately before you made a grammatical or other language mistake, or gave his score incorrectly, you gain 1 point per mistake for pointing it out.
4) You must attempt to answer the question in the post immediately prior to yours.
5) You must ask a new question.
6) You lose 5 points if you get ninja'd.
7) If there has been no reply for more than 72 hours, the question is too difficult and you can take 2 points from whomever asked it.
8) If the answer to your most recent question is wrong and no-one has pointed it out yet, you gain 1 point for announcing this. ("I don't know" does not count for this purpose.)
9) You obviously can't self-reply.
10) To paraphrase Douglas Adams:
The winner shall be the first player that wins.

Your thoughts? I know, I prefer games with points.
Native: [flag]af[/flag][flag]en[/flag]. Intermediate: [flag]de[/flag][flag]nl[/flag]. Beginner: [flag]ja[/flag][flag]st[/flag].
Google Translate wrote:And Google Translator, Babel Fish translation costs excretion.

Luna_Lovegood

Postby Luna_Lovegood » 2011-08-02, 23:04

モモンガくんと僕が同じ人ですよ

まあ。。僕の言ってることはよくわけがわかりにくいですね。

なんとか変な分ばっかりを書いてると思います。
英語の能力が下手だとも言えます。
[flag]ky[/flag][flag]tk[/flag][flag]ko[/flag][flag]ja[/flag][flag]dv[/flag][flag]ru[/flag][flag]uz[/flag][flag]ty[/flag][flag]ug[/flag][flag]kk[/flag]

xkuehn

Postby xkuehn » 2011-08-03, 19:11

(I'm not going to answer in Japanese because my computer exploded yesterday and I don't have a Japanese input method right now. Also bear in mind that my Japanese is a little poor, so if I understand you incorrectly, just point it out.)

Luna_Lovegood wrote:モモンガくんと僕が同じ人ですよ

I didn't know you had two accounts. I didn't know it was even allowed.
Luna_Lovegood wrote:まあ。。僕の言ってることはよくわけがわかりにくいですね。

I understand you most of the time, but you really do need to work on the clarity of your English. No offense is meant. We are all students of different languages and we all make mistakes.
Luna_Lovegood wrote:なんとか変な分ばっかりを書いてると思います。

I must admit I don't understand this a hundred percent. (Then I tried my luck with Google Translate, and its understanding was worse than mine. Some things never change. :D ) I think you're trying to say that sometimes you just want to try a weird word you heard somewhere.

I can relate to that, but then please just tell us in a footnote what you said. It's not like I can open a dictionary and look up "thon".
Luna_Lovegood wrote:英語の能力が下手だとも言えます。

But I did say it: the English in the original post is poor. Once again, no offense is meant, but you must understand that a language must be used both grammatically and idiomatically.

If you write in English, you must imitate the way English is written, not the way you think it should be written. If you can't do that, you haven't mastered the language.

We don't point out your mistakes on Unilang because we're mean, we do it because this is a language forum and we should all help each other. If I make language mistakes, typos, etc, everyone is welcom to point them out and I'll fix 'em.

Luna_Lovegood

Postby Luna_Lovegood » 2011-08-09, 8:52

hm, thanks but i think really my sentences are sometimes incomprehensible.
hm, yes, maybe we should change the rules.

so.

the first person gives a question and if second person answer correctly, s/he can make another question.

So my question is,
name at least 3 scripts used by Chinese minorities, that express meaning (not phonetic), and are not Chinese characters or script belonging to this stock( like Zhuang).

Return to “Games”