[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
From whence hast thou came? - UniLang

From whence hast thou came?

This forum is for games of various sorts. Moderators may lock games that are too similar to already existing ones.

Moderators: Car, Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Global Moderators

JuxtapositionQMan

From whence hast thou came?

Postby JuxtapositionQMan » 2013-12-26, 19:09

I just thought this great game up!
Basically, someone posts an IPA transcription of a word and its translation in English, purposely omitting what language it is. The next person must guess what language it is and, if right, posts their own entry. ect. If the person is wrong, the person after tries the original. Ad infinitum.
btw, no conglangs except Esperanto and Volapük.
Edit: Edit: keep going until people get it. Until then, do not post a transcription. The correct guesser gets to chose the next one.
eg.
GuyNumba1
-/ʃejl/ shale
#2IsAllINeed
-Polish
-/klajnbɑɑs/ young boss
3%of3%
-Nope, English
-/æɰsərstə/ very
4Athens
-German
-/mandʒi/ eat
ect.

I'll start this off with:
/alθi:ðulɛgyr/ communal, of the folks
Last edited by JuxtapositionQMan on 2014-01-20, 0:04, edited 5 times in total.
Well, that was a thing.
speak:  (en) (eo)
learning:  (fr) (de) (ru) (pt) (es) (ro) (art-jbo)
hiatus:  (fi) (it) (la) (wa) (sv) (eu) (zh.Hans) (is)
want to learn:  (fo) (be) (ko) (he) (sw) (hi) (tr) (nl) (cy) (hu)

Viridzen

Re: From whence hast thou came?

Postby Viridzen » 2013-12-27, 4:53

Oh, I'll play! ...Old Norse?

[dre:ori] sad

(I hope I'm doing this correctly...)
Please, correct my errors. S'il vous plaît, corrigez mes erreurs.
C2:  (en) B1: Focusing on:  (fr) (A2),  (got)

JuxtapositionQMan

Postby JuxtapositionQMan » 2013-12-27, 16:50

Don't worry, you're doing it right.
As to your actual answer, try again.
Well, that was a thing.

languagepotato

Postby languagepotato » 2013-12-27, 16:59

to the first post: faroese?

/tomobɪn/ car
Motivation is the key to succes but without effort you'll never find its lock.

JackFrost
Global Moderator

Postby JackFrost » 2013-12-27, 17:37

Hast thou came? Shouldn't it be "come"? :P
Neferuj paħujkij!

JuxtapositionQMan

Postby JuxtapositionQMan » 2013-12-27, 17:38

It was Icelandic
new: /ʃadənfrojdə/

JackFrost wrote:Hast thou came? Shouldn't it be "come"? :P

Intentional. Shakespeare, if you recall, had horrible grammar.
Well, that was a thing.

JackFrost
Global Moderator

Postby JackFrost » 2013-12-27, 18:06

Okay... Yet, he's known to liberally use colloquialisms that were native to his own idiolect, so I wouldn't say he had a horrible grammar skill.

Anyway, I don't want to ruin your game overall. Sorry and carry on. :oops:
Neferuj paħujkij!

Viridzen

Postby Viridzen » 2013-12-27, 21:12

Icelandic was my first guess! But, shouldn't it be ['alθiðylɛgyr]? I guess that threw me off.

The next one is German (or English as a borrowed term.)

JuxtapositionQMan

Postby JuxtapositionQMan » 2013-12-27, 22:10

yeah, the last vowel should be /y/. Otherwise, no. Edit: fixed!
you didn't post the next phonetic transcription, btw.
Well, that was a thing.

Viridzen

Postby Viridzen » 2013-12-30, 0:36

But, in Icelandic, /u/ is [y], and it has a /u/ there...
Well, I don't know, I'm stupid. I can't think of another word, sorry...

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2014-01-02, 0:20

Alright, then I'll add one.

/gœllyk/ lake

Viridzen

Postby Viridzen » 2014-01-02, 3:50

Turkish?
Okay, this one might have wrong IPA, but I haven't even started this language yet, here...
[zajɛ̃tsĭ] hare, rabbit.

Viridzen

Postby Viridzen » 2014-01-03, 20:44

Come on, people! Mush!

TheStrayCat

Postby TheStrayCat » 2014-01-03, 21:38

Polish?

The root is clearly Slavic and the nasalized vowel gives a hint. Does it really have that overshort vowel at the end?

breath
[dɤx]

Viridzen

Postby Viridzen » 2014-01-04, 1:33

Nope, not Polish. But, it is Slavic.

I'll guess yours, though I don't think it's good to the rules... I'm guessing Kashubian? They have weird sounds, and it looks similar to the Czech term (which I found through the secret to the game!)

Viridzen

Postby Viridzen » 2014-01-05, 21:03

Will nobody answer?

TheStrayCat

Postby TheStrayCat » 2014-01-05, 22:57

Viridzen wrote:Nope, not Polish. But, it is Slavic.

I'll guess yours, though I don't think it's good to the rules... I'm guessing Kashubian? They have weird sounds, and it looks similar to the Czech term (which I found through the secret to the game!)

Old Church Slavonic then?

No, mine isn't Kashubian, but it's Slavic as well.

Viridzen

Postby Viridzen » 2014-01-07, 1:01

TheStrayCat wrote:Old Church Slavonic then?

Yes!

Is yours Sorbian? I'm guessing... Upper Sorbian.

TheStrayCat

Postby TheStrayCat » 2014-01-07, 21:49

Viridzen wrote:
TheStrayCat wrote:Old Church Slavonic then?

Yes!

Is yours Sorbian? I'm guessing... Upper Sorbian.

No. Hint: it's not a minority language.

languagepotato

Postby languagepotato » 2014-01-07, 22:29

the vowel reminds me of: bulgarian?

/aŋstsxre:u/ scream of fear
Motivation is the key to succes but without effort you'll never find its lock.

Return to “Games”