[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
TAC 2015: Arabic in bite-sized parts - Page 3 - UniLang

TAC 2015: Arabic in bite-sized parts

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators: Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Car, ''', Global Moderators

mōdgethanc

Re: TAC 2013: Arabic in bite-sized parts

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-04-22, 15:59

Two things:

Arabic is a pro-drop language, like Spanish. That means you don't have to use pronouns where the conjugation already makes the person, number etc. clear. So instead of أنا أدرس you should say أدرس العربية الفصحى, which sounds more natural.

Also, your "IPA" transcriptions are not IPA at all but some strange hybrid system. This may be helpful, although I think it's overly complicated and some of the information in it is suspect. This is probably more helpful and accurate. I can help you with IPA if you want. This may also help with broad transcription, which is probably what you want at this stage..

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2013-04-22, 16:38

If my IPA is bad, you're welcome to fix it. I had it 2 yrs back at uni and haven't had much chance to use it besides the lessons.
Sarah writes in a weird "hybrid" too, so the only thing I'm trying to do is replace all "kh" by "x" and all "j" with "dʒ", as I'm not really sure of the rest... :D

I know Arabic is pro-drop, I write pronouns down to make sure I'm not making any silly mistakes, as I keep confusing hum/huma and antum/antuma.
Native:  (pl) Very advanced/near native:  (en-US)
Intermediate:  (es)
Beginner  (de),  (sgn),  (tpi),  (en_old),  (ar)
Artificial languages:  (art-qya),  (art-sjn),
My interest has been drawn by:  (fa),  (zh),  (ja)

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2013-05-06, 11:17

Lesson 12, 6.05.2013
Sarah actually thought she gave me homework last time, with all that crazy stuff going around us and us both being in a hurry... Newsflash: she didn't!
Some revising (included conjugating verbs, oh joy; sayastaqbelna still has my tongue in knots). Then she gave me something to read - an introduction to a book about the mind and the civilization. I stuttered my way through it (putting A everywhere I wasn't sure about the vowel), but was glad to actually have something to read.

The good news is we're dropping the Medinah book (as I have the basics down pat) and Sarah will mail me the book I am to read to her next time. I'm very happy that I'm going to be reading moar Arabic :D

Homework: conjugate hawala in the present and yolaheð in the past

New words
Al-dowla الدولة country
Al-hadhara الحضارة civilization

Min xelal من خلال through

Hawala حاول he tries
Hudood حدود limits
Mawdu3 موضوع topic, subject
Moxtalefa مختلفة different
Sharqeya شرقية eastern
Tareex تاريخ history
Qara قارئ reader (i.e. a person who reads)
Yolaheð يولاحظ he notices

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2013-05-09, 10:00

Sarah sent me the story I'm supposed to read to her on Monday.
I've spent 2,5h yesterday reading it (i.e. inputting every second word into Aratools). The further I got, the easier it was, simply because words and phrases were repeated.
It's a children's fairytale about a pen and an eraser. They argue at first ('cause the eraser is used to wipe out what the pen wrote), but then they understand each other and are friends forever. Happy endings galore.

I've penciled an Arabizi transcription on the back of the sheet so that I don't have to wonder what vowel goes where (the text is unwovelled :P).

And no, I haven't just written the translation, it'd be too easy.

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2013-05-13, 10:55

Lesson 13, 13.05.2013
Reading the text aloud. I read 2/3 of it in 1,5h and I got some corrections and clarifications (mostly about la/lam/lan).

To think that we've got only a month of university left, a month of exams and then in early July Sarah leaves for Yemen :(((

New words
Al-wadzebالواجب homework (pl. al-wadzbat الواجبات)
Ila ai makan اٍلئ أي مكان anywhere

Illa اٍلا except
Kaana كان to be (past), there was etc.
Lastu لستُ I am not
Lanni لان because
Mazal مازال still
Tumma ثم then

Adʒaba أجاب replied
Afdala أفظل to be better
Alaxta الأخطاء mistake
Amli عملي my work
Araki أراكِ see you
Azalأزال delete (v); izalat ازالة delete (n)
Azaizati عزيزتي my dear
Baf3 بافع beneficial
Bi3sabbaya بعصبية angrily
Bilotf بلطف nicely
Iltafatθt التفتت looked at
Indahashat اٍندهشت astonished
Inza3azan اٍنزعاجن got angry
Izdada ازداد increase
Faraha فرح was happy
Furad فرد replied
Huzn حزن sadness
Lahada لحظة moment
Lima لم = li-mada
Maghrura مغرورةarrogant
Mushall مشلlike
Nadam ندمregret (n); nadama ندمregret (v)
Rafa رفعraise
Sawaban صوابأ correct
Yadel يعادل to equal
Last edited by Zireael on 2013-07-11, 8:56, edited 1 time in total.

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2013-05-20, 10:56

Lesson 14, 20.05.2013
Finished reading the text. Got some grammar tips.
To think that there are only 2 lessons left...!
Some optional homework, since we both have finals and exams coming (C1 English, B2 Spanish in early June).
On flip side, Sarah leaves in late July, so there's a chance to squeeze one or two lessons in July, too.

New words
Al-axrin الأخرين the others
Adahi أضحي my sacrifice
Ahassa أحس felt (past)
Ash عاش to live
Aqusu أقص shorter
Bada بعد after
Ida اٍذا if
Ifadat اٍفادة benefit
Kullama كلما every time
Mim adʒali من أجلي for my sake
Memman ممن from who
Mahzunan محزونأ saddened
Sadiqin humimin صديقسن حميمين close friends
Shay شيٍsomething
Qaddum قدم gave
Yaftariq يفترق to separate (v)
Yasaghurain يصغرين become smaller
Yastatay يستطيع can, be able to
Yaxtaf يختلق to argue (v)
Last edited by Zireael on 2013-07-11, 9:04, edited 1 time in total.

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2013-05-27, 18:17

mōdgethanc wrote:Two things:

Arabic is a pro-drop language, like Spanish. That means you don't have to use pronouns where the conjugation already makes the person, number etc. clear. So instead of أنا أدرس you should say أدرس العربية الفصحى, which sounds more natural.

Yes this does sound more natural and that is how Arabs speak. However when I dropped the pronoun from the sentence, for example if I said "أدرس " without the pronoun, both of my Arabic teachers would mark it wrong and force me to use the pronoun. Also the Al-Kitaab companion website would mark my answers wrong if I only put the conjugated verb. It was annoying and frustrating since I knew it was right. :evil: I don't understand why they did this, my only guess was that they wanted to us to know the pronouns by heart. I'm not sure if Zireael is taking an Arabic class but some Arabic teachers do require the pronouns with the verb.
अहिंसा
TAC 2015:  (hi) (ja) (ar) (fr)
Loves: (bn) (ta) (id) (tr) (ur)

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-05-27, 19:05

Meera wrote:
mōdgethanc wrote:Two things:

Yes this does sound more natural and that is how Arabs speak. However when I dropped the pronoun from the sentence, for example if I said "أدرس " without the pronoun, both of my Arabic teachers would mark it wrong and force me to use the pronoun. Also the Al-Kitaab companion website would mark my answers wrong if I only put the conjugated verb. It was annoying and frustrating since I knew it was right. :evil: I don't understand why they did this, my only guess was that they wanted to us to know the pronouns by heart. I'm not sure if Zireael is taking an Arabic class but some Arabic teachers do require the pronouns with the verb.
I think it's to show you know what the pronouns are even though it's still right. Spanish classes do this sometimes too.

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2013-05-27, 19:18

Yeah that's what I was guessing too, it was just so annoying though to rite it over and over again.
अहिंसा
TAC 2015:  (hi) (ja) (ar) (fr)
Loves: (bn) (ta) (id) (tr) (ur)

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2013-06-08, 7:07

I can guess it's annoying... :)
I don't write pronouns unless they are the ones which I get confused (hum/huma, antum/antuma)

Lesson 15, 3.06.2013
I've had a class cancelled on the 27th, so the meeting with Sarah was cancelled too.

This time, I read a story about a strong cock protecting his chicks from a wolf. It was a bit shorter than the story about a pencil and an eraser, so I finished it within 1,5h.

I know the entry is late, but I've been bogged down by finals. Next week, I have C1 English and B2 Spanish, so wish me luck!

New words
Huna هنا here
Hunak هناك there

Al-dab الدئب the wolf
Al-ghabat الغابة before
Al-hatunat الحيواناتanimals (pl.)

'ad عاد come back
'am عام to know
Astahaddama استحدم use
Awlad أولاد (pl.) boys, kids
Bahata بحث he searched
Bayuda بعيدا away
Bayn بين between
Fursat فرصة chance
Haddama هدم attacked
Haddara حدر he warned
Hiya حيئ so
Inoadda (?) انعض jump in, pounce
Intahaza انتهزtake
Katkoot كتكوت chick; pl. katakt كتاكيت
Lalahat للحقث look for (present tense)
Luxtafar لخطر danger
Maghadarat مغادرة to leave
Marat axra مرة أخرئ another time
Nafsahu نفسه himself
Nazahat (?) نزهة picnic
Sahabat (?) صحبة sb's company
Shadʒa شجاع brave
Qarrara قرر decided
Waada وعد promise
Wahadat وحدة unity
Wadzad وجد
Xadzafa خجف ashamed
Yedai يدي hands (pl.)
Taam طعام food

Yafaq يافق he attracts
Yahaw يحاو he fears
Yaman3 يمنع he prevents
Yantabah ينتبهhe notices
Yataahrad يتعرضhe is in danger
Yudahan يداهمhe happens
Last edited by Zireael on 2013-07-12, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2013-07-04, 14:04

Lesson 16, 2.07.2013
This time, I read a story about doors and houses. It was pretty difficult due to many synonyms, so I only got halfway through it in an hour.

On plus side, Sarah was talking to a 4th-year Arabic student before our lesson, so I could listen in and I actually understood they were discussing people in various Arabic countries. I piped up to ask her about the Tunisians, but I had to repeat the question twice to get understood.

I'm going to meet Sarah (as in, a meeting not a lesson) next week.
On the 13th, there is a graduation ceremony - yeah, I've passed both the C1/B2 and the BA exam [I got a B!) - and Sarah has a flight back to Yemen booked for the 14th. Methinks this was our last lesson, any further learning will be done over FB/e-mails...

New words
Al-asrat الأسرة family
Al-awa (?)الأو first
Al-dakunah الداكنة dark
Al-furfa الفرفة room
Al-rada الرضا contented
Al-riwoom(?) الغيوم clouds
Al-tafl الطفل child
Abarat عبارة consists of
Akshar أكثر most
Ama أما but
Amtar أمطر rain
Armalat أرملة widow
Ashat عاشت he lived
Bi-ghazarah بغزارةheavily *unsure about the spelling, the print's not clear
Daayfat ضعيفة weak
Dʒadaran(?) جدران walls
Fahtama فاحتمئ protected
Fawq فوق above
Fakana alihum قكان عليهم they have to
Hatala هطل to fall
Hayat حيات life
Hudʒra حجرة room
Kanz كنز treasure
Kullaha كلها whole
Luzaxat لزخات shower
Manazul مناول house
Mutawada متواضعة humble
Satf سطف roof
Saat ساعاة hours (pl.)
Samaa سماء sky
Saqf سقف roof
Sunawat سنوات years (pl.)
Qanaat قناعة satisfaction
Qalulat قلعلة little
Tadʒamat تجمعت gathered
Tuflaha طفلها her baby
Xalalha خلالها during
Xashabi خشبي wood, wooden
Yafna يفنئ to finish
Yamluk يعلك to have/to own *can't spell this one on computer
Yataarrad يتعرض affected
Last edited by Zireael on 2013-07-13, 6:52, edited 1 time in total.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-07-04, 16:59

On the 13th, there is a graduation ceremony - yeah, I've passed both the C1/B2 and the BA exam [I got a B!) - and Sarah has a flight back to Yemen booked for the 14th. Methinks this was our last lesson, any further learning will be done over FB/e-mails...
For which language? English?

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-07-04, 16:59

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2013-07-05, 8:54

mōdgethanc wrote:

If you mean what is my BA, yeah, it's English.

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2013-07-12, 12:46

Quite a lot of Arabic going round my FB. A Tunisian friend posted a pic of Nelson Mandela along with an Arabic caption, and I was able to understand that he's 94.

New words
Mabruk مبروك congratulations
Ramadan karim happy ramadan

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2013-08-06, 14:38

While on hols with my parents, I noticed that a solar shower (a plastic bag with a black side to absorb sun rays and heat the water inside) has a description in Arabic, among other languages.
Cue me trying to read it, expecting the شمسي - sun (adj.) to show up. After 5 minutes of head-scratching (why does it look so weird?) I burst out laughing.

Do you know what the reason was?

The name of the shower was يسمش مامح.
"Hammam shamsiy", all right. But written left-to-right.

I wanted to take a photo and show it to my Arabic friends. Alas, my parents had to tape it up a bit and the tape covers the text :(

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2013-09-20, 17:21

I went and wrote Sarah about the caption on the solar shower, she cracked up.

This was around 2 months ago.

Sarah got back in touch a few days ago. As did the Tunisian friend, Aida. So I'm hoping not to let my Arabic rust.

Also, thinking of enrolling in A1 Arabic course at uni (starting MA studies now) but I don't know whether I'll be able to afford it (no free language lessons for MA students, alas).

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2013-10-04, 18:09

I didn't enroll in the Arabic course. I decided to save the money for an intensive summer course or a sign language course.

Still hoping for an Arabic-Polish dictionary for my birthday (the 18th).

Aida posted a pic on FB I commented on, learning two new words in the process. No clue how they are pronounced, however.

New words
Ajmal ? more beautiful
? قرينة wife
? زوخ husband

Any help?

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2013-10-05, 9:51

Dug out Acapela Text to Speech from my huuge list of bookmarks for this:

My Tunisian friend Anis shared a Polish friend's post on FB, therefore I could guess its contents even before running it through Aratools:

فتاة صغيرة من بولندا مصابة بمرض السرطان ، حلمها ان تتلقى بطاقات تهنئة من مناطق مختلفة من العالم بمناسبة عيد ميلادها الموافق ل 27 أكتوبر. ربما بكلمات بسيطة يمكن
ان تزرع الامل في نفسها و تساعدها على تجاوز محنتها . العنوان :

New words
Al-amal الاملthe hope
Al-aalam العالم the world
Al-saratan السرطان cancer
Basitat بسيطةsimple
Bitakat بطاقاتcards
Fatat فتاةyoung girl
Hulm حلمdream
Manatuq? مناطق areas
Marad مرضillness
Masabat مصابةafflicted, wounded
Muhanat محنت trial, ordeal
Muhtalifat مختلفة various
Tatalaqa تتلقى she received
Tahittat? تهنئة congratulations (بطاقات تهنتة postcard)

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2013-10-07, 14:34

I am incredibly happy because there's a new Yemeni girl at university, in year 3.
So I already surprised her by knowing:
a) what Yemen is
b) some Arabic
c) giving her my mail and telling her to write if she wants anything

Return to “Total Annihilation Challenge”