[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
TAC 2015: Arabic in bite-sized parts - Page 4 - UniLang

TAC 2015: Arabic in bite-sized parts

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators: Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Car, ''', Global Moderators

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Re: TAC 2013: Arabic in bite-sized parts

Postby voron » 2013-10-07, 20:54

Zireael wrote:a) what Yemen is

:P

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2013-10-24, 15:28

It turns out there's more Yemenis at the university - not only Naiz, but also three boys - Ashraf, Saleh and a third one I've seen in the corridors but I don't know his name.

To make me even happier, I've got a course with Niaz & Ashraf and another one with all three - Niaz, Ashraf and Saleh.

Yesterday Niaz came into the classroom with only a few minutes to spare and immediately started writing something in her notebook, so I asked her:
هذا واجب؟
To which she replied:
لا هذا واجب

... so I was glad I hadn't forgotten any homework.

Today I received a Polish-Arabic dictionary (a late birthday present). You can guess how happy I am!
Native:  (pl) Very advanced/near native:  (en-US)
Intermediate:  (es)
Beginner  (de),  (sgn),  (tpi),  (en_old),  (ar)
Artificial languages:  (art-qya),  (art-sjn),
My interest has been drawn by:  (fa),  (zh),  (ja)

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2013-10-24, 18:34

Zireael, reading your updates makes me want to do Arabic again. :P :mrgreen:
अहिंसा
TAC 2015:  (hi) (ja) (ar) (fr)
Loves: (bn) (ta) (id) (tr) (ur)

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2013-10-27, 11:37

Meera wrote:Zireael, reading your updates makes me want to do Arabic again. :P :mrgreen:

That's good news? :wink: :lol:

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2013-11-02, 16:39

Next week came and went. Had classes with the Yemenis, again, so I grabbed the birthday gift and stuffed it into my backpack.
On Tuesday, a Kurdish friend gave me some materials for Niaz, so I brushed the dust off my Arabic conjugation skills and told her:
لكي , من صديقكي

No clue how to spell Guelas (ue = u umlaut) :P

Then Niaz wanted to know which girl she'd be partnering with for her presentation so when I finally spotted the one I said: هذه هي.

On Wednesday, when I arrived for the Intercultural Communication class (laugh if you will, the class is made up of roughly 80% foreigners - Yemeni, Spanish, Japanese - and 20% Polish; and so is the Tuesday Crosslinguistic Influence class), I saw the three plus Guelas and one Polish guy.
The three were talking in Arabic back and forth, too quick for me to get anything besides some function words :P Then a Polish boy wanted to know Niaz's name, so she wrote it down and pointed out that her surname comes from the name of her birthplace, and I asked:
هل شميري من اليمن؟

.. and the boy's jaw like, fell down when he heard me speaking Arabic. Granted, it was very slow and I needed to repeat myself, but I think it's a combination of my pronunciation - which must surely be awful to native speakers' ears - and Niaz not expecting to hear Arabic.
Then Niaz asked us about a few Polish phrases, so I spent the lulls in the lesson leafing through the dictionary to look up "want" and Niaz spotted the Arabic on the cover and took a look at it.
At the end of the lesson, I asked her:
توريدي درس البولاندية؟
(yes, blame me, I forgot "هل" at the start)
and she said that a girl in her dormitory is already teaching her Polish.

Being replied to in English is a little discouraging, but I'm not to be let down by such a minor quibble!

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2013-11-18, 12:15

There were no classes on Tuesday and Niaz did the class presentation on Wednesday, so there were no opportunities to speak to her. On the other hand, I saw her drag another Arabic girl into the class, so I jumped at the chance to ask the girl Men ayna anti? and Ma ismuki? and the girl was completely stumped until Niaz told her in English "She can speak a little Arabic". It turns out the girl was Iranian but I didn't catch her name, blame my hearing :(

On the other hand, I found this excellent picture on Wikipedia illustrating the Arabic forms: Image.

And I've also found a site with some Arabic phrases.

New phrases
Kam huwa omrak(i) كم هو عمرك How old are you
Takalam bebot min fadlek(i) تكلم ببطء من فضلك Speak slowly please
Ma ismuhu bi-arabiyya ما أسمه بالعربية What's that called in Arabic?
Keif taqul kalamat X bi-arabiyya كيف تقول كلمة "X" بالعربية؟ How do you say X in Arabic?
La taqlaq(i) لا تقلق Don't worry!

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2013-12-08, 11:47

Not much happened the last few weeks because I can't stay after classes and chat with the Yemenis because I have to hurry in order not to miss the bus.

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2013-12-12, 9:06

Managed to stay after class Tuesday for a few minutes and asked Ashraf how to say 'chapter' in Arabic.

Lots of ha-hemming followed, and finally he decided on فصيل الكيتاب fasil al-kitaab.

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2013-12-21, 17:57

I wrote Sarah a few days ago, saying I miss her and that I don't know how to write it in Arabic. So here it is.
In all probability, this is the last entry this year.

New phrase
Ana ushtaq laki انا اشتاق لك I miss you
Kul 'am wa antum bekheir كل عام و أنتم بخير Happy new year!

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2013-12-30, 13:10

End of year 2013 summary

Started in January from scratch (affectionately known as "level A0").

To recap, the goals were:
Goals: learn as much Arabic as possible before the end of the university year (late June), hopefully be able to read a short text by this time.
Be able to converse freely in written form by the end of the year.

Late June was the cut-off date due to the university year ending and Sarah (my Yemeni friend and tutor) returning to Yemen.
From January to early July (with some upheavals due to cancelled courses and classes), I had a lesson a week with her, every Thursday before my Spanish class at university.
There were 16 lessons altogether.
Starting from July, any contact with the language was my own effort, whether it was chatting on FB or talking to the new Yemeni students at university, and no classes were involved.

Judging by the reactions of my Arabic friends to my comments on FB, I've achieved the goal of being able to converse in the written form - as in, my questions get understood and replied to (in English, Arabic script or in Arabizi I guess depending on the person's mood). Also, thanks to the fact that the written form is purely MSA, it does not matter whether the friend in question is Tunisian or Yemeni.

I am also able to ask a question or two in person, orally, and get understood, although that involves repeating myself very often, and 90% of cases I get the answer in English.

As a funny aside, the following conversation took place a lot since October:
- Ma ismuka/i? *depending on the person's gender*
- Sorry?
- Ma ismuka/i?
- Sorry?
- Ma ismuka/i? *slowly and clearly*
*wide open shocked eyes as the realization that this crippled Polish girl speaks Arabic*
*finally replies to the question that was asked*

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2013-12-31, 19:07

Zireael wrote:- Ma ismuka/i? *slowly and clearly*
*wide open shocked eyes as the realization that this crippled Polish girl speaks Arabic*
It's probably shock not only at being addressed in Arabic by a Polish person, but at being asked their name in MSA for what may be the first time in their entire life. MSA is rarely spoken, and when it does get used in conversation it's typically for discussing political, literary, or otherwise refined topics; it most likely strikes Arabs as very odd to hear "maa ismuka/i" spoken out loud as they would have only ever heard anyone ask anyone else's name in colloquial Arabic.
Tracking my progress here. Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2014-01-12, 20:25

eskandar wrote:
It's probably shock not only at being addressed in Arabic by a Polish person, but at being asked their name in MSA for what may be the first time in their entire life. MSA is rarely spoken, and when it does get used in conversation it's typically for discussing political, literary, or otherwise refined topics; it most likely strikes Arabs as very odd to hear "maa ismuka/i" spoken out loud as they would have only ever heard anyone ask anyone else's name in colloquial Arabic.

That's possible, although I thought Arabs from different countries still use MSA when communicating? There's at least two Iranians at uni, too, so they can run into the Yemenis.

Anywho, my Tunisian friend Anis has been picked as the Arab Youth Council's ambassador for Tunisia on the 2nd January...

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2014-01-12, 21:31

Zireael wrote:That's possible, although I thought Arabs from different countries still use MSA when communicating? There's at least two Iranians at uni, too, so they can run into the Yemenis.
No, that almost never happens. Arabs from different countries will almost always speak in colloquial Arabic to one another. Sometimes they'll each just speak their own respective dialects- for example, a Lebanese and an Egyptian speaking together will probably do that, since both dialects are commonly used in popular media (music, films, TV shows) and they most likely will have been exposed to both dialects enough to understand them. In fact, Egyptian Arabic is so popular that even non-Egyptians will speak Egyptian Arabic (or attempt to do so, modifying their own dialect to add Egyptian words or grammar) to communicate with other Arabs. I myself mostly spoke Egyptian Arabic when I was in Morocco and I was always understood. Sometimes, if there is confusion when two Arabs from different countries are speaking, they might use a specific word from MSA instead of colloquial Arabic in order to clarify (if one of them doesn't understand one specific word the other keeps using), but with the grammar of their colloquial dialect (NOT with MSA grammar- no case inflection, etc).

As far as Iranians go, as you know we do not speak Arabic natively (except for Ahwazis who are a tiny minority) but most Iranians learn some classical Arabic in school. They generally are not able to speak it unless they excelled in Arabic class, and their accent will be extremely different from Arabs (correct pronunciation is not usually taught in Iranian schools, so all Arabic words are pronounced according to Persian pronunciation).
Tracking my progress here. Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2014-01-13, 13:37

Horrendously busy with my MA right now (I've got to write 20 pages of literature review due end of January).

Picked up a new game on FB - Strangelings - a breeding pet game. I used to play a few others but either they required too much time investment (feeding grooming whatever) or I would have to abandon some of my collection (Order of the Griffin).
So as my collection grew, and the game doesn't have the "offspring" feature yet (the family tree only shows the current pet's dam and sire), I thought I could give them Arabic names.

At least I dug up my notes and therefore I have strangelings named Akhdar (obviously, he's green), Azraq (blue) or Wardi (can you guess what her color is?). There's two named Zahraa because their patterns and coloring remind me of flowers and a Nimr because he has the leopard pattern and almost perfect colors.
The two I like the most are named Nadira and Qamar, mother and son. What do you think their color scheme is?

New words
Al-thawra الثورةrevolution
Maidan ميدانsquare

Wardi وردي pink

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2014-01-14, 1:35

Zireael wrote:I have strangelings named Akhdar (obviously, he's green), Azraq (blue) or Wardi

Kewl, post screenshots here :)

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2014-01-19, 20:17

voron wrote:
Zireael wrote:I have strangelings named Akhdar (obviously, he's green), Azraq (blue) or Wardi

Kewl, post screenshots here :)

Will do as soon as I figure out how to put screenshots here.

In the meantime...
Found Polandball thanks to a friend of mine and one of the strips had Arabic writing in it. (Not linking because I can't into Middle East politics)

New words
Mayyat ميت dead
Last edited by Zireael on 2014-01-20, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2014-01-19, 22:06

Zireael wrote:
eskandar wrote:

That's possible, although I thought Arabs from different countries still use MSA when communicating? There's at least two Iranians at uni, too, so they can run into the Yemenis.

Anywho, my Tunisian friend Anis has been picked as the Arab Youth Council's ambassador for Tunisia on the 2nd January...

I agree with what Eskander said, but many of times I asked Arabs maa ismuka/i and haven't gotten a shocked response. Sometimes if I do it dialect if I know where they person is from and they give me a shocked response, I even had some lecture me on why I should speak MSA and not a dialect. For an example I was using egyptian with someone from Egypt and she told me it wasn't "real" Arabic and I should stick to MSA. I know MSa is very rarely used in speech but still I think it depends on the person. Arabs seem shocked when anyone who isn't an Arab speaks any kind of Arabic.
अहिंसा
TAC 2015:  (hi) (ja) (ar) (fr)
Loves: (bn) (ta) (id) (tr) (ur)

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2014-02-17, 13:05

A quick update because I've forgotten to post three of them.

Written an entry for the Team Rare January challenge. Learned two new words and found out I can't into typing Arabic after the break.
(and gotten a grammar explanation at HTLAL)

Working my way through Bliu Bliu in Spanish, German, and of course Arabic.

On 2nd Feb, I watched a documentary about Nubia. It was supposedly French produced, but there were Arabic captions on screen sometimes in addition to English subtitles and the Polish dub, and I was able to pick up a few words in addition to النوبية.

(As an aside, we spotted that there was a boy with CP in one of the scenes - heh, the ease of spotting comes with a lifelong familiarity)

My resolution for the February Rare Team challenge is to spend at least five minutes a day on Bliu Bliu reading Arabic.

New words
Al-af الاف thousand
Askun اُسكن I live in
'Ahd عهد era
Sharka شركة company
? عدم non- mis- (negative prefix)

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2014-02-27, 15:06

My entry for the HTLAL Rare Team challenge (describe your hobbies) is:
أحب أن أقرا الكتب. أنا يعجبني أدرس اللغات مختلفات مشلات الاٍسبنية و العربية . أحب أشاهد التلفاز

A new phrase I learned is how to wish someone to get better soon:
Atamana laka an tateefa qariban اتمني لك ان تتعافا قريبا

New words
Al telfaz التلفا television
Ashahed أشاهد I watch

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2014-04-16, 9:10

Argh, HTLAL is down!

Sarah's birthday was two days ago, so I wrote her "happy birthday habibti and I miss you" in Arabic script.

She wrote back, saying thanks and that she misses me and Warsaw, but she used a new word, I'll have to look it up!

Return to “Total Annihilation Challenge”