[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
TAC 2014 - voron - Turkish, Arabic - Page 2 - UniLang

TAC 2014 - voron - Turkish, Arabic

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators: Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Car, ''', Global Moderators

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Re: TAC 13/14 - voron - Turkish, Arabic, Persian

Postby voron » 2013-11-02, 4:24

(fa)
Lessons 27-30 of Assimil le Persan.

I've finally got to the point in the book where the present and the future tenses are covered. Other essentials things to learn before I can try talking with someone are plurals, modal verbs and subordinate clauses... and of course tons more of vocabulary!

(ar)
No further lessons at this point, I just wanted to comment on the previous ones. The book mentions ways of constructing subordinate clauses and they seem really very straightforward. For example:

I'm coming from a country where there is lots of dust.
أنا قادم من بلد فيه غبار كثير
lit. I'm coming from a country, in it dust much.

I wrote a letter to my grandpa who is from Egypt.
كتبت رسالة لجدي و هو من مصر
lit. I wrote a letter to my grandpa and he from Egypt.

(I made up these examples so there can be mistakes).
I wonder if the Arabic syntax is all that simple. It can compensate for the complexity of morphology a bit.

(tr)
I posted something on lang-8. I registered there 3 years ago, posted a few posts in Serbian and abandoned it. Let's see how it will work out now.

Limagne

Postby Limagne » 2013-11-02, 8:25

voron wrote: (fa)
Lessons 27-30 of Assimil le Persan.

I've finally got to the point in the book where the present and the future tenses are covered. Other essentials things to learn before I can try talking with someone are plurals, modal verbs and subordinate clauses... and of course tons more of vocabulary!

Don't forget the subjunctive ;) It's actually much more useful than the future tense in casual conversations.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2013-11-09, 10:39

(ar)
I just had my Arabic class with a teacher and I have mixed feelings. On one hand it was very rewarding to talk in and about Arabic with someone in real life. On the other hand the teacher is a native Russian speaker and her main foreign language is Hebrew, and she did Arabic as an auxilary subject in Israel, so her Arabic knowledge is not profound.

We read a text about an Arabic family having a dinner and sharing their daily events. The teacher was very surprised that although I can read fairly well, I'm not very good at writing. My handwriting is indeed very slow and clumsy as I never put much emphasis on it, and I don't have an interest in calligraphy either. I definitely think that it's much more useful to be able to type.

(fa)
I'm thinking about putting Persian on hold until I have at least finished the Arabic Assimil book. I just don't have enough time for all the 3 languages.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2013-12-14, 5:42

What I did for the past month since I last updated my thread:

(ar)
Lessons 31-38 of Assimil Arabic

Up to this point, the book has covered most of the past and present verb conjugations, and it is unfolding into the verb forms and masdars. I've also got a solid understanding of how various types of subordinate clauses are constructed.

A curious example from the book:
ما رأيت قبل اليوم مثلك من يشرب أنفه قبل فمه
"Not I-saw before today like-you who drinks his-nose before his-mouth"
Up to now, I haven't seen anyone like you whose nose would drink before his mouth. (a joke about someone with an extremely large nose)
As seen in this example, to build a "whose" type clause, one just has to insert a "who" and refer back to it with a possessive suffix (his-nose) somewhere later in the sentence.

(tr)
Watched a couple more episodes of "Güneşi beklerken". Started a few Turkish books:
- Çalıkuşu by Reşat Nuri Güntekin which is a Turkish classic. It has been (once more) made into a series recently by Kanal D, so I might want to start watching the series as well.
- A collection of detective stories by Peyami Safa. It's written in simple Turkish and intended for adolescent audience. I picked this book just because I happen to have a paper copy which I got as a present from my Turkish friend.
- Harry Potter in Turkish
- A collection of anecdotes about dervishes, with parallel Russian translation. I bought this book ages ago and hardly ever opened it until recently.

Çalıkuşu definitely seems captivating so I'm going to keep on reading it. I really want to do more reading and achieve a level where I can read by glancing through pages and finish a novel in a few days.

(fa)
Except for listening to Persian songs, nothing. :doggy:

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Re: TAC 13/14 - voron - Turkish, Arabic

Postby voron » 2013-12-29, 4:17

(fa) Ok I'm taking Persian off the list for 2014 because Arabic and Turkish proved to be already hard enough. I'm pretty happy with my progress in Persian in 2013 though: I got a solid understanding of its pronunciation and basic grammar, I got confidence that it is doable whenever I consider to retake it in the future, and I truly enjoyed studying it.

(ar) Lessons 39,40,41 of Assimil Arabic.
I'm half the way through the book! I want to have it completed by March. I'm not sure if I'll be ready to read real-life Arabic texts after that. If I don't, I have a couple of Arabic readers with easy and moderately difficult texts, so I'm gonna read those first. And definitely I'll try and talk to natives (or shall I say semi natives, since MSA is not native to anyone).

Zireael

Re: TAC 2014 - voron - Turkish, Arabic

Postby Zireael » 2013-12-30, 17:07

ما رأيت قبل اليوم مثلك من يشرب أنفه قبل فمه
"Not I-saw before today like-you who drinks his-nose before his-mouth"

Are you sure the first word is لا not? Because I see "what" ما
Native:  (pl) Very advanced/near native:  (en-US)
Intermediate:  (es)
Beginner  (de),  (sgn),  (tpi),  (en_old),  (ar)
Artificial languages:  (art-qya),  (art-sjn),
My interest has been drawn by:  (fa),  (zh),  (ja)

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2013-12-30, 17:38

Yes I'm pretty sure. رأيت is a perfect tense verb and in the perfect tense, ما is used for negation (it means both "what" and "not").

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2014-01-25, 3:45

I'm lazy. I'm not doing anything for Arabic. :silly:

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2014-02-12, 10:27

(ar) I think I'm burnt out with Arabic. What happened is I pushed myself into completing the Assimil book as fast as possible, I meticulously created Anki cards for its every sentence and I forced my friend to meet and study on Skype every night.

And this just doesn't work for me. As soon as I start forcing myself I burn out. What works best for me is to do randomly whatever I feel like doing, be it books, songs, or chatting. Even with Anki cards, I find them so boring, I think I shouldn't attempt them ever again. Now I feel like watching an Arabic film, can anyone recommend me a good one in fus7a? (And why should it even be fus7a? I feel like doing a dialect for a change)

I found this set of videos in Turkish titled "Adım adım Kur'an dili" (Language of the Quran step by step) and they look interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx_1MBc45Zk

(tr)
I'm doing well. I spent last weekend with my Turkish friend and we spoke in Turkish only. It was fantastic.

Limagne

Postby Limagne » 2014-02-12, 16:54

I'm no Arab cinema expert, but I really enjoyed Youssef Chahine's Destiny. It's about the life of Averroes, his scholarly pursuits and his struggles with religious bigotry. Aspects of the Andalusian culture of the time are also depicted quite vividly.

I suppose most of it is in MSA, since it's a historical movie (and also because I could pick up a few words here and there, something which never happens with the dialects :) ).

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2014-02-14, 5:57

voron wrote: (ar) I think I'm burnt out with Arabic. What happened is I pushed myself into completing the Assimil book as fast as possible, I meticulously created Anki cards for its every sentence and I forced my friend to meet and study on Skype every night.

And this just doesn't work for me. As soon as I start forcing myself I burn out. What works best for me is to do randomly whatever I feel like doing, be it books, songs, or chatting. Even with Anki cards, I find them so boring, I think I shouldn't attempt them ever again. Now I feel like watching an Arabic film, can anyone recommend me a good one in fus7a? (And why should it even be fus7a? I feel like doing a dialect for a change)

Sorry, these aren't Fus7a but two really great Lebanese movies are Caramel and Where do we go Now? They are both directed by Nadine Labaki. Paradise Now is in a good Palestinian movie. The Lemon Tree also about Palestine is in both Palestinian Arabic and Hebrew, but it's a very good film. Sorry I don't know of any films in in Fus7a.

Limagne that film sounds interesting I will try to watch it!
अहिंसा
TAC 2015:  (hi) (ja) (ar) (fr)
Loves: (bn) (ta) (id) (tr) (ur)

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2014-02-14, 10:29

Thank you both Limagne and Meera! I'll watching one of the films that you've recommened on the weekend.

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2014-02-15, 17:03

No problem, I hope you enjoy the films!
अहिंसा
TAC 2015:  (hi) (ja) (ar) (fr)
Loves: (bn) (ta) (id) (tr) (ur)

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2014-07-19, 14:17

Small but important update.

I've found a job in Istanbul and I hope I'm going to stay here for long. It'll definitely give my Turkish a boost. Also I hope to continue improving my Arabic after I settle down.

Set

Postby Set » 2014-07-19, 21:58

Tebrikler Voron!
Native: (en) Good: (de) (ca) Focusing on: (fa) (ku) (ps) Interested in: (zza) (tr) (sw)

modus.irrealis

Postby modus.irrealis » 2014-07-20, 8:29

That's really cool, voron. Congratulations.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2014-07-20, 17:04

Teşekkür ederim beyler! :)

Saim

Postby Saim » 2014-07-20, 19:30

Čestitam Vorone, to je skroz kul! Uživaj! :D
ماں بولی = قومی بولی

پنجابی بولو، پنجابی پڑھو، پنجابی لکھو

Aóristos
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Aóristos » 2014-07-21, 1:39

(No, I didn't put that on my Instagram, because I haven't got one.)
Native: American English (en-us) Pizzonese Neapolitan (nap) | Advanced: [none…] | Intermediate: Greek (el) Mexican Spanish (es-mx) Italian (it) Persian (fa) Brazilian Portuguese (pt-br) French (passive) (fr)
Starting: Polish (pl) Urdu (ur) Azerbaijani (az) | Future: Attic Greek (grc) Romanian (ro) Irish (ga) Sicilian (scn) Modern Standard Arabic (ar-arb)

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2014-07-22, 17:40

I so need more vocabulary... Today I talked to one of my colleagues about Atatürk and Kemalism and we eventually switched to English because I was hesitating a lot. :( Also my listening comprehension needs a lot of improvement. When people talk directly to me I understand alright (they probably subconsciously or consciously slow down and use a more standard vocabulary), but when they talk between themselves it's sometimes very hard to follow.

It's the same story with Turkish TV; I understand news programs and synchronized Hollywood films quite well, but when it comes to shows and original Turkish films I am often lost. Ehh if only I could wake up tomorrow I understand everything 100%...

Return to “Total Annihilation Challenge”