[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
TAC 2014 - voron - Turkish, Arabic - Page 3 - UniLang

TAC 2014 - voron - Turkish, Arabic

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators: Car, Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, ''', Global Moderators

Limagne

Re: TAC 2014 - voron - Turkish, Arabic

Postby Limagne » 2014-07-22, 19:05

I had (and still somewhat have) the same problem with Iranian shows.

I could understand most programs but it was very hard to get the gist of soap operas. My listening ability has improved very slowly but is now solid given that I have never spent any significant amount of time in the country.

I am at a similar stage with Dari, now. I can follow political debates, but have trouble understanding my friend from Kabul.

I can't stress enough the importance of following what's going on in social media. Quite often people on TV tend to talk about those topics over and over and it can be very hard to understand well (and appreciate the show) if you are not already familiar with the context. Social media will also be a convenient way to keep yourself updated on how people actually speak and you will have all the trendy words and expressions served on a plate.

Try to follow the local news too. They cover everyday topics.

There is light at the end of the tunnel. Don't worry too much about it and enjoy your turkish studies :D

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2014-07-26, 8:35

A few days ago I was buying a new phone (my old Windows Phone didn't work properly here) and I said I wanted Anadolu instead of Android:

- Anadolu işletim sistemli olsun. :D

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2014-07-29, 0:00

voron wrote:A few days ago I was buying a new phone (my old Windows Phone didn't work properly here) and I said I wanted Anadolu instead of Android:

- Anadolu işletim sistemli olsun. :D

:rotfl: :rotfl:
अहिंसा
TAC 2015:  (hi) (ja) (ar) (fr)
Loves: (bn) (ta) (id) (tr) (ur)

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2014-11-06, 11:58

It's been 3.5 months since I'm in Turkey and I've become pretty good at understanding everyone at my work place. I'm not quite happy with my speaking and reading skills though.

I'll continue learning Turkish actively in my free time. For now it can be any of these activities:

1) Read newspapers. A few newspapers get delivered to our office daily and I think I can take a copy home every day. Paper copies are great for making notes.

2) Watch films. I tried this way a couple times and it worked well: I open a subtitles file on my tablet. Then I watch a few mins long episode without looking in the subtitles. Then I read the subtitles, and look up the unknown words in the dictionary (on the tablet it only takes to touch a word to make the dictionary article open).

3) Read books. I read so little recently, it's a shame. I used to be so fond of reading as a child.

UPD: And 4) I feel like I need to re-read Routledge's Turkish Grammar. It's a gem of a book and every time I discover something new.

I may try and start using Anki again. It never worked in the past (it was too boring both to enter words into Anki and to practise them), but I tried it with Arabic mostly and I type Arabic slowly so it took a lot of time.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-11-06, 14:38

I should do the same in some of my languages...

1) Read newspapers. A few newspapers get delivered to our office daily and I think I can take a copy home every day. Paper copies are great for making notes.

That's a good idea, even though I usually prefer magazines, newspapers tend to report too local and boring political facts of the day. Personally I'd love to find something like the New Yorker in Spanish and Portuguese.

3) Read books. I read so little recently, it's a shame. I used to be so fond of reading as a child.

I feel you :( lately I've been wasting too much time on the internet when I'd have a long pile of un-read books waiting for me...

I may try and start using Anki again. It never worked in the past (it was too boring both to enter words into Anki and to practise them), but I tried it with Arabic mostly and I type Arabic slowly so it took a lot of time.

Never tried it. Is it any different from Memrise?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-11-06, 23:22

The first three things voron listed are basically what I'm thinking of doing for my best languages as well. For languages I don't know so well, I think I should try to spend more time actually learning them from the books that I have for them. :P

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2014-11-07, 1:10

voron wrote:I may try and start using Anki again. It never worked in the past (it was too boring both to enter words into Anki and to practise them), but I tried it with Arabic mostly and I type Arabic slowly so it took a lot of time.
For what it's worth, I've had great success with Anki. I think it's the biggest reason why I tend to have strong vocabulary in the languages I'm learning - I got into the habit of obsessively entering every new word I learn in there, and use it like a personal dictionary on my phone (when I'm trying to think of a word I know I've learned before, I check in my Anki cards instead of using a real dictionary). I've used it every day for a few years and now I don't feel right if I haven't reviewed all the cards due by the end of the day!
Tracking my progress here. Please correct my mistakes in any language.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2014-11-07, 9:38

Everyone who uses Anki seems to have great success with it. Another example on Unilang is Limagne whose Persian vocabulary is extensive as far as I can tell, and he once reported he added his 20.000th word to his Persian Anki deck.

IpseDixit wrote:Never tried it. Is it any different from Memrise?

I've never tried Memrise. Anki is yet another spaced repetition application. One feature that makes it stand above others is its developed ecosystem: it uses public storage for storing its cards, and you can connect to it via a Windows, Linux or MAC client, via a mobile application (iPhone or Android) or using your browser.

UPD
Here's a comparison of flash card applications and Anki seems to support the largest number of platforms:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_flashcard_software

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2014-11-09, 14:08

I've used Anki when I started learning Arabic nearly 2 years ago, but have since then abandoned it. See my log... you can see when I stop mentioning it altogether.
Native:  (pl) Very advanced/near native:  (en-US)
Intermediate:  (es)
Beginner  (de),  (sgn),  (tpi),  (en_old),  (ar)
Artificial languages:  (art-qya),  (art-sjn),
My interest has been drawn by:  (fa),  (zh),  (ja)

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2014-11-11, 8:25

Zireael wrote:I've used Anki when I started learning Arabic nearly 2 years ago, but have since then abandoned it. See my log... you can see when I stop mentioning it altogether.

Why did you abandon it?
(Nice to see you back btw. And when I saw your Polish entry on Saim's blog, that was a kind of 'Wow, she is really Polish').

Yesterday I got myself some tea and lokum and started reading "A thousand splendid suns" in Turkish. I was picking a book for too long but let's admit it, native Turkish classics is a bit too hard for me at the moment, so I'll start with a few translated works.

Limagne

Postby Limagne » 2014-11-11, 10:20

I have Min möhtəşəm günəş in Azerbayjani, if you want to have a peek at it :)

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2014-11-11, 11:27

Yes, it would be interesting. I'll quick-search online and send you a message if I cannot find it.

How is your Azerbayjani going?

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2014-11-11, 18:41

Why did you abandon it?
(Nice to see you back btw. And when I saw your Polish entry on Saim's blog, that was a kind of 'Wow, she is really Polish').

Because the delays between words grew to be so big (1,5 month) that I couldn't be bothered to keep using the program. Also, going through my deck took quite a lot of time and I simply didn't have the time (and still don't - hello, MA! :-/ )

"Wow, she is really Polish'? What nationality did you think I was? :P
Native:  (pl) Very advanced/near native:  (en-US)
Intermediate:  (es)
Beginner  (de),  (sgn),  (tpi),  (en_old),  (ar)
Artificial languages:  (art-qya),  (art-sjn),
My interest has been drawn by:  (fa),  (zh),  (ja)

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2014-11-12, 9:44

Zireael wrote:"Wow, she is really Polish'? What nationality did you think I was? :P

Polish is a language that I have an affection for and it's nice to get reminded once again that a certain Unilang member is a speaker of that language.

Dr. House

Postby Dr. House » 2014-11-14, 8:59

Yeah, I used to think Anki had some preset flashcards, but then I found out about having to do all the grunt work. :) I never use flash cards, because I think learning words separately isn't effective at all. It's kind of like the old textbooks all over again, isn't it? Köpek, armut, arkadas, at, güzel, kIz...
I prefer to incorporate the words into real-life sentences, even though I've just started doing it very recently. (On the other hand I used to translate long songs from English to Czech and learned a lot of vocabulary that way. Needless to say I had to correct myself after a year or two. :) )

P.S. Those Turkish words are probably the only ones I still remember.
Language experimenter

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-11-14, 11:39

Dr. House wrote:Yeah, I used to think Anki had some preset flashcards, but then I found out about having to do all the grunt work. :) I never use flash cards, because I think learning words separately isn't effective at all. It's kind of like the old textbooks all over again, isn't it?

I've never used Anki and don't use flashcards, either, simply because what the hell do I need flashcards for? If I want to quiz myself over vocabulary in a language, I can just cover it up in the book I'm studying (or, if it's on UniLang, use dem spoiler tags :P).

Dr. House

Postby Dr. House » 2014-11-14, 18:20

vijayjohn wrote:
Dr. House wrote:Yeah, I used to think Anki had some preset flashcards, but then I found out about having to do all the grunt work. :) I never use flash cards, because I think learning words separately isn't effective at all. It's kind of like the old textbooks all over again, isn't it?

I've never used Anki and don't use flashcards, either, simply because what the hell do I need flashcards for? If I want to quiz myself over vocabulary in a language, I can just cover it up in the book I'm studying (or, if it's on UniLang, use dem spoiler tags :P).

Exactly!!! Plus it's pretty useless to learn say Chinese through flash cards, if the words have entirely different meaning than they would have in a different context. And what about all the Turkish prefixes and suffixes? Ev, evcik, evin, eve, evde, evden. Isn't it easier to take a sentence like Ne zaman başlayabilirim? and then break it down to pieces? Yapabileceğimi düşünüyorum!!!
Language experimenter

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2014-11-14, 18:51

vijayjohn wrote:I've never used Anki and don't use flashcards, either, simply because what the hell do I need flashcards for?

I honestly would sooner stop learning languages than spend hours every week going through flashcards or anki.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2014-11-14, 21:14

vijayjohn wrote:I've never used Anki and don't use flashcards, either, simply because what the hell do I need flashcards for? If I want to quiz myself over vocabulary in a language, I can just cover it up in the book I'm studying (or, if it's on UniLang, use dem spoiler tags :P).

Yeah, but you're missing out on the spaced repetition algorithms

Dr. House wrote:Exactly!!! Plus it's pretty useless to learn say Chinese through flash cards, if the words have entirely different meaning than they would have in a different context. And what about all the Turkish prefixes and suffixes? Ev, evcik, evin, eve, evde, evden. Isn't it easier to take a sentence like Ne zaman başlayabilirim? and then break it down to pieces? Yapabileceğimi düşünüyorum!!!

But Anki isn't limited to just words. You can study whole sentences if you want. I mean, you can even do grammar (conjugations, declensions, etc.)
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-11-14, 22:44

Luís wrote:Yeah, but you're missing out on the spaced repetition algorithms

You are talking specifically about Anki here, right? Because I never actually said anything about Anki since I'm not familiar with it and had never heard about it before joining UniLang. I only said why I (personally) don't find flashcards useful. The only differences I see between using flashcards and just covering words up are that (a) I only have two hands, so there's only so much I can cover up, and I could accidentally peek at one of the answers a lot more easily, and (b) I have to make flashcards if I want to use them, but there are already books out there that I can use.

That article you linked to suggests to me that basically Anki works like flashcards but also asks you about how difficult it was for you to remember individual items, and uses that information to train its algorithm. To me, that sounds like it could be even worse. Judgments of difficulty are subjective anyway, and it can be hard to express (or even decide) just how difficult you found something.

Return to “Total Annihilation Challenge”