[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
księżyc - TAC 2014-15 - UniLang

księżyc - TAC 2014-15

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators: Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Car, ''', Global Moderators

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

księżyc - TAC 2014-15

Postby księżycowy » 2013-12-15, 0:19

Rather then listing my languages in the title to the thread, as is the usual convention, I'll make you guys open my thread to find it out. And while I'm at it, I'll jump on the early start to TAC 2014. :P

Languages: Hebrew (he) Hebrew (focus on Biblical), Ancient Greek (grc) Ancient Greek (focus on Koiné), Classical Latin (la)/Ecclesiastical Latin (la-va) Latin, French (fr) French and German (de) German.

I've been happy with my progress with my SAC~WAC 2013. While the first half of this year's contest was rather abysmal, it got right on track during the summer. I give at least partial credit to my Hebrew course over the summer. Anyway, let's start moving on to next year's challenge!

Goals for 2014:
For now, I just want to do about two (at most) languages at once. So I'll keep going with Biblical Hebrew and I'll add French to it. I'll save the other languages for later this year.

Hebrew (he)
As stated above, my focus is on Biblical Hebrew, BUT I will add generous helpings of Modern Hebrew in as well. I have to admit I've probably started doing Modern Hebrew a little to quickly. I have a few loose ends to tie up with Biblical Hebrew. My goals are too keep up reading of Biblical passages, and tie up those loose ends from my old textbook as well.

My reading text (A Reader's Hebrew Bible) has a vocabulary in the back of the book of frequent words that are used over 1000 times (I think). I'd like to master all those words so all I have to worry about are those rarer words. I'm thinking it'll be more interesting the go through a whole book (or more) of the Hebrew Scriptures and pick up the vocabulary and grammar as I go. Not exactly sure what book I'll start, but I'll figure it out.

I also hope to make good progress in my Modern Hebrew textbook. Maybe even complete volume 1.

Koiné Greek (grc)
I hope to be taking a Koiné Greek course this coming summer, but there is no guarantee it'll actually be taught this year. I'll leave my goals until the details solidify. Suffice it to say, I'll work on some sort of ancient Greek this year at some point if I don't have class.

Classical Latin (la)/Ecclesiastical Latin (la-va)
I'd like to tackle Latin (most likely Classical Latin) in some fashion as well. But this one is no priority, and is more or less just for "fun" at this point. As I'm not planning to pick this one up just yet, I'll leave goals until then.

French (fr)
I want to revive my French, so my goal is to get through my one textbook, Living French: A Grammar Based Course. By the end of 2014 I'd like to be able to read French literature with relative ease. Some good skills in listening and speaking would be nice too, but having good skills in reading and writing are more important.
I'd like to be able to read my one French play I have with little need for a grammar or dictionary by the later half of the contest.

German (de)
My goals for German are pretty much the same as French. I'd like to complete my textbook, Living German: A Grammar Based Course, by either the end of the contest, or sometime soon there after. I'm not sure when I'll start learning it, as I'm anticipating French will take a while.
Last edited by księżycowy on 2014-11-19, 4:31, edited 2 times in total.
þūhte mē þæt ic gesāwe syllicre trēow on lyft lædan lēohte bewunden bēama beorhtost.

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Re: księżyc - TAC 2014

Postby księżycowy » 2014-01-04, 21:35

Ok, since I initially posted I've had sometime to think things through and come up with a plan of attack for the next few months. I've also thought of my language selection, and want to swap it up a bit.

Short term:
Biblical Hebrew (he)
I'll keep at the passive reading of Biblical Hebrew, picking up vocabulary and grammar as I go (as in my previous post). No huge goals at this point aside from picking up those last few grammar points and getting a good working vocabulary going. This will be a year long process. The only time I might give it a (short?) rest is if I am able to take the Koiné Greek course this summer, and the course needs extra focus.

French (fr) & German (de)
I want to get through my French and German textbooks, as previously planned. I will give my self a three month challenge for French and German and do the best I can to get through both textbooks in that amount of time. I'm adding German into the mix now, as I both am feeling myself drawn to it as of late (might as well capitalize on that), and French and German are similar enough, different enough, easy enough and hard enough to be doable at the same time. [If anyone understands what I just said, give yourself a cookie! :P ]

Long term:
As I stated before, I want to keep up with the Modern Hebrew as well as the Biblical. Over the course of the year (or sooner if I get done faster :D ) I want to complete the first Hebrew textbook I have. If I get done early I may move on to the next on, but let's wait and see if I can complete textbook #1 first. I'm giving myself a year so I can focus on other languages, and on Biblical Hebrew. I think that will work out better. I'll just work on Modern Hebrew when I have the time. No pressure, no stress. 8-)

I want to actually keep up with a NAIL this year, instead of just doing one for the Powwow. I feel like I'm kind of just a fake mod otherwise. I'm not 100% sure which language I'd like to stick it out with (there are a few I really would like to be proficient at), but after I get German and French well on their way to restoration I'll worry about that.

I would also like to get into an Asian language. Anyone who's been around this forum for long enough should know I've had the Asian language bug for a while. It's time to act on that! At the moment I'm thinking I'd like to do some variety of Chinese (most likely Mandarin or Cantonese), but Japanese is also a serious contender. Korean and Vietnamese are lesser contenders as well, but as with the NAIL idea, I have some time to figure it out.

And, last but not least, IF I have enough time for more, I'd like to do either Polish or Irish. This is unlikely, but you never know. I'd also love to do an African language (this interest has lay dormant in my for a bit now, and I'd like to act on it eventually). I know I want to eventually tackle Amharic (Ethiopia has long fascinated me), but I want to do that one after Hebrew is pretty well on it's way, perhaps even after I've gotten Arabic on it's way. I know I want to to all the major Modern Semitic languages, but in what order? Obviously Hebrew is first, but who knows what's next.
Bantu languages look quite interesting as well, as do languages from western Africa (yes Yoruba, I'm looking at you). They are a bit like NAILs too me. Too many to be interested by. Choices will have to be made.

Anyway, I feel like I'm rambling now. :lol: Time to stop. I'll try to keep this log up to date as much as possible.
þūhte mē þæt ic gesāwe syllicre trēow on lyft lædan lēohte bewunden bēama beorhtost.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-01-06, 7:39

księżycowy wrote:I'm adding German into the mix now, as I both am feeling myself drawn to it as of late (might as well capitalize on that), and French and German are similar enough, different enough, easy enough and hard enough to be doable at the same time. [If anyone understands what I just said, give yourself a cookie! :P ]

I've been getting waay too many cookies today. I guess I'll just store 'em in the fridge and nibble on 'em over like...weeks? :lol:

I want to actually keep up with a NAIL this year, instead of just doing one for the Powwow. I feel like I'm kind of just a fake mod otherwise. I'm not 100% sure which language I'd like to stick it out with (there are a few I really would like to be proficient at), but after I get German and French well on their way to restoration I'll worry about that.

*follows księżycowy everywhere pretending to be a float of a clown bobbing up and down and whispering yuP'IK!yuP'IK!yuP'IK! behind his back* (If that made any sense to you, give yourself a glass of spiced buttermilk...OK, I'm just kidding. I'm done being totally silly. Give yourself a cookie!). :lol:

I would also like to get into an Asian language. Anyone who's been around this forum for long enough should know I've had the Asian language bug for a while. It's time to act on that! At the moment I'm thinking I'd like to do some variety of Chinese (most likely Mandarin or Cantonese), but Japanese is also a serious contender. Korean and Vietnamese are lesser contenders as well, but as with the NAIL idea, I have some time to figure it out.

Do Mandarin! :P OK, OK, I guess I shouldn't be talking so much before you've really had a chance to think about it, but it's the Global Lingua Franca :P, the tones are easier than Cantonese, and the Chinese forum hasn't been getting enough activity since Christmas for some reason. :? Maybe it's for the same reason why today is the first day since Christmas I've been doing anything for any American languages! :lol:

And, last but not least, IF I have enough time for more, I'd like to do either Polish or Irish. This is unlikely, but you never know. I'd also love to do an African language (this interest has lay dormant in my for a bit now, and I'd like to act on it eventually). I know I want to eventually tackle Amharic (Ethiopia has long fascinated me), but I want to do that one after Hebrew is pretty well on it's way, perhaps even after I've gotten Arabic on it's way. I know I want to to all the major Modern Semitic languages, but in what order? Obviously Hebrew is first, but who knows what's next.
Bantu languages look quite interesting as well, as do languages from western Africa (yes Yoruba, I'm looking at you). They are a bit like NAILs too me. Too many to be interested by. Choices will have to be made. .

Swahili! :twisted: But really, Swahili has lots of Arabic influence, and it's pretty easy for a Bantu language. Although Amharic is good, too. I should be learning Amharic, dammit. I know some native speakers here in town, even though I haven't seen them in ages!

OK, I'm done spamming your TAC thread now. I just couldn't resist the temptation for some reason. :blush: Sorry!

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2014-01-06, 11:53

No need to be sorry. Spam away. :D I'm just happy someone stopped by and wrote something for a change. :lol:

*follows księżycowy everywhere pretending to be a float of a clown bobbing up and down and whispering yuP'IK!yuP'IK!yuP'IK! behind his back* (If that made any sense to you, give yourself a glass of spiced buttermilk...OK, I'm just kidding. I'm done being totally silly. Give yourself a cookie!). :lol:

I might do Yup'ik. Then again I would like to keep my Lakhota and Lushootseed alive. Plus there are others I find really interesting. :hmm:

Do Mandarin! :P OK, OK, I guess I shouldn't be talking so much before you've really had a chance to think about it, but it's the Global Lingua Franca :P, the tones are easier than Cantonese, and the Chinese forum hasn't been getting enough activity since Christmas for some reason. :? Maybe it's for the same reason why today is the first day since Christmas I've been doing anything for any American languages! :lol:

As for the forum, it's called Chinese, not Mandarin. I could use it for any variety I choose. :wink: I don't know, I love the tones and finals in Cantonese and Taiwanese. Plus syllabic ng and m. I have tried to learn Taiwanese two or three times. The nicest thing about Cantonese and Taiwanese is I'd be focusing on spoken only for a start. I would like to like to learn how to read and write Cantonese and Mandarin at the least, but I'm not sure I'd have the time for that this year with everything I want to try to do. We shall see what happens.

Swahili! :twisted: But really, Swahili has lots of Arabic influence, and it's pretty easy for a Bantu language. Although Amharic is good, too. I should be learning Amharic, dammit. I know some native speakers here in town, even though I haven't seen them in ages!

Chances are, African languages will have to wait until next year. But I'm not calling it quite yet (after all the year just started).

I have some stuff for Zulu, Yoruba, Wolof (coming in the mail as we speak), Shona and Amharic. I'm also aware of some FSI courses floating around the internet, but chances are I'd limit myself to the ones I already have physical books for. Shona looks interesting. Whistled consonants, tones, and what I believe to be pretty typical Bantu grammar.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-01-06, 19:42

księżycowy wrote:No need to be sorry. Spam away. :D I'm just happy someone stopped by and wrote something for a change. :lol:

Thanks. :lol:

I might do Yup'ik. Then again I would like to keep my Lakhota and Lushootseed alive. Plus there are others I find really interesting. :hmm:

Which are the "others"? :P

As for the forum, it's called Chinese, not Mandarin. I could use it for any variety I choose. :wink:

Yeah, but at least that rules out Japanese, Korean, and Vietnamese. :lol: (Man, Korean has always been so problematic for me. Whenever I study it, I'm just dying to find every single Chinese loanword I might have come across).

I don't know, I love the tones and finals in Cantonese and Taiwanese. Plus syllabic ng and m. I have tried to learn Taiwanese two or three times. The nicest thing about Cantonese and Taiwanese is I'd be focusing on spoken only for a start. I would like to like to learn how to read and write Cantonese and Mandarin at the least, but I'm not sure I'd have the time for that this year with everything I want to try to do. We shall see what happens.

Have you ever tried your Cantonese out with a native speaker? I suck at producing the right tones in that language! Cantonese is the only language for which I always get either negative feedback or no feedback at all whenever I try to speak it. :lol:

Chances are, African languages will have to wait until next year. But I'm not calling it quite yet (after all the year just started).

I have some stuff for Zulu, Yoruba, Wolof (coming in the mail as we speak), Shona and Amharic. I'm also aware of some FSI courses floating around the internet, but chances are I'd limit myself to the ones I already have physical books for. Shona looks interesting. Whistled consonants, tones, and what I believe to be pretty typical Bantu grammar.

Ooh! Yeah, all I have is Lonely Planet for Amharic, Berlitz for all the others, and also TY for Zulu (and Xhosa and Swahili :P). At first, when you said "whistled consonants," I thought you meant breathy voiced consonants. :lol: Come to think of it, I've never actually heard those. But apparently most of them are limited to one dialect or another.

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2014-01-06, 22:10

Which are the "others"? :P

Oh God, too many. :lol: But of particular interest are: any Iroquoian language, anything Salish, Tlingit, Cree, Aleut & Iñupiaq, Navajo, Apache (if they ever release the audio to my textbook). That's about it really, for the US and Canada anyway.

Yeah, but at least that rules out Japanese, Korean, and Vietnamese. :lol: (Man, Korean has always been so problematic for me. Whenever I study it, I'm just dying to find every single Chinese loanword I might have come across).
I can't say with any confidence that any of the others are out of the running yet. Japanese was the first Asian language of serious interest to me, so that puts it into a league of it's own. But Chinese is pulling pretty hard at the moment.

Have you ever tried your Cantonese out with a native speaker? I suck at producing the right tones in that language! Cantonese is the only language for which I always get either negative feedback or no feedback at all whenever I try to speak it. :lol:

Can't say I have, or that I've seriously studied any aside from a lesson or two of Taiwanese. But if I do decide on (some sort of) Chinese, I have a guy at work that I believe speaks Chinese. I'm not 100%, as I haven't asked him about it, but he's Asian and speaks some sort of tonal language. I have to admit to my amateur ears it does sound an awful lot like Cantonese, or some other form of Chinese other then Mandarin. I can't hear any third tones or 'er's. :lol:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-01-09, 23:45

Sorry I took so long to reply. I just remembered this today. :lol:

księżycowy wrote:Oh God, too many. :lol: But of particular interest are: any Iroquoian language, anything Salish, Tlingit, Cree, Aleut & Iñupiaq, Navajo, Apache (if they ever release the audio to my textbook). That's about it really, for the US and Canada anyway.

Ooh, maybe we can do Cree! (I'm learning Michif anyway, which mostly means that I'm learning Cree (Plains Cree, I think) :P). Or Quechua. :lol:

Can't say I have, or that I've seriously studied any aside from a lesson or two of Taiwanese. But if I do decide on (some sort of) Chinese, I have a guy at work that I believe speaks Chinese. I'm not 100%, as I haven't asked him about it, but he's Asian and speaks some sort of tonal language. I have to admit to my amateur ears it does sound an awful lot like Cantonese, or some other form of Chinese other then Mandarin. I can't hear any third tones or 'er's. :lol:

I find that for some speakers of Mandarin, at least, third tones basically come out sounding as low flat in most contexts (i.e. when they're not immediately preceding another third tone, in which case they're rising). I guess it's not "supposed" to be that way, but that's what it sounds like to me in practice. :P Oh, and the "er"s are most common in Beijing (sub?)dialect; other varieties of Mandarin don't have them nearly as much. :lol:

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2014-01-10, 18:01

Yet another informative post, Vijay! 8-)

vijayjohn wrote:Ooh, maybe we can do Cree! (I'm learning Michif anyway, which mostly means that I'm learning Cree (Plains Cree, I think) :P). Or Quechua. :lol:

Looking for a study buddy?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-01-10, 19:56

księżycowy wrote:Yet another informative post, Vijay! 8-)

Thanks! :D

Looking for a study buddy?

Not specifically but wouldn't refuse the opportunity either :wink: I never had a study buddy before joining UniLang (BTW, one-year anniversary today!) and even after joining, never for more than like...a month? :lol: (Even for school subjects and such, I think I very rarely (if ever?) had a study buddy! So yeah, I'm pretty new to this thing :P).

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2014-01-12, 11:32

I've never either. I have tried with friends before, but that never got off the ground.

I wouldn't mind collaborating a bit here.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-01-13, 0:22

Awesome! I'd like to try it out, too! 8-)

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2014-01-29, 18:57

I think I'm suppose to update this from time to time, aren't I? :whistle:

In an interesting twist, I was talking to the Asian guy here at work the other day and I've discovered he's from Myanmar. I've always wanted to study Burmese, but was always scared off by the script. It must be a vicious circle. Serious though, this might be my gate way into a SE Asian language. I have yet to confirm that he does indeed speak Burmese rather then some other language of Myanmar, but here's hoping.

EDIT: I asked him, and he does speak Burmese! I think I'll start slow, I already have three (and a half) other languages I'm working on. I'll just use Burmese By Ear and whatever words/phrases he teaches me. :D

As for any actual update. Nothing major to report. for French and German I've been working on the first few lessons of my textbooks. And I've been working on building my vocabulary for all three and a half.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-01-31, 3:05

Nice to see you again on this thread! :lol:

Burmese, huh? I've tried Burmese before (using the SEAsite course), but ugh, I've never gotten far with any Sino-Tibetan (or Austronesian!) languages, other than Mandarin. :P

BTW, which textbooks are you using for French and German? The only ones I have are like high-school level textbooks, but I'm reviewing those, too...or at least, I'm reviewing what was basically my brother's second-year French textbook. :lol:

And what is this "three-and-a-half languages" business? I guess the three would be Biblical Hebrew, French, and German, and the "half" would be Modern Hebrew?

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2014-01-31, 10:40

vijayjohn wrote:Burmese, huh? I've tried Burmese before (using the SEAsite course), but ugh, I've never gotten far with any Sino-Tibetan (or Austronesian!) languages, other than Mandarin. :P

What made you stop? Anything you found particularly hard?
At the moment, I'm not really doing much. I just think it would be nice to be able to say a few words/phrases to him. Besides, with a friendly native at my disposal, I think I pretty much have too. :P

BTW, which textbooks are you using for French and German? The only ones I have are like high-school level textbooks, but I'm reviewing those, too...or at least, I'm reviewing what was basically my brother's second-year French textbook. :lol:

Living French and Living German

And what is this "three-and-a-half languages" business? I guess the three would be Biblical Hebrew, French, and German, and the "half" would be Modern Hebrew?
You got it. :lol: I wanted to count Modern Hebrew, but I didn't feel (with all the grammar and vocabulary it shares with Biblical) it counted as a full point. Thus the half.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-02-02, 9:10

księżycowy wrote:What made you stop? Anything you found particularly hard?

I don't think so. I mean, with Cantonese, it was tones, but with everything else, I think it was just lack of motivation. Like, I might have started learning it, but I didn't meet any native speakers or anything, and I think there were other languages that I felt more compelled to learn at the time. :P (Oh, BTW, I also have Lonely Planet Burmese).

Ah. Don't have any of those, unfortunately. :/ Well, just in case you were curious, the French books I have are the three shown here. :lol:

Wanna try practicing/studying/reviewing/whatever French and/or German together? :D

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2014-02-02, 13:34

vijayjohn wrote:I don't think so. I mean, with Cantonese, it was tones, but with everything else, I think it was just lack of motivation. Like, I might have started learning it, but I didn't meet any native speakers or anything, and I think there were other languages that I felt more compelled to learn at the time. :P (Oh, BTW, I also have Lonely Planet Burmese).

Ah, yes. I understand that all too well.

Ah. Don't have any of those, unfortunately. :/ Well, just in case you were curious, the French books I have are the three shown here. :lol:

Wanna try practicing/studying/reviewing/whatever French and/or German together? :D

I'd be willing to give it a shot. Might be the motivation I need to keep up my studies. Though I don't really use Skype all that much due to my internet.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-02-03, 6:45

We could just do it right here on UniLang if you like! :wink: Maybe even in this thread, but then which language do you want to start with?

Alternatively, you could start personal threads on the French and German forums here, and we could just talk there if you don't mind the possibility of other people joining in on the conversation. :P

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2014-02-04, 19:31

I keep trying to reply to you, but my mind keeps wondering away. :lol:

I suppose it might make more sense to do it in the language forums themselves, so I can leave this thread to updates and neglect. As to which I would want to start with, it doesn't really matter to me. I'm attempting to work on both together at the moment.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-02-06, 19:43

księżycowy wrote:I keep trying to reply to you, but my mind keeps wondering away. :lol:

No worries! :D

I suppose it might make more sense to do it in the language forums themselves, so I can leave this thread to updates

Cool!

and neglect.

:lol:

As to which I would want to start with, it doesn't really matter to me. I'm attempting to work on both together at the moment.

OK. Maybe I'll start one for French on the French forum...eventually. :P

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2014-02-11, 21:03

I think I might try supplementing my textbooks with Pimsleur, which I've *cough* acquired for French, German, and Hebrew. Based on how well the Burmese is going with the audio lessons I think it would be a great idea to do the same with the others. I've tried some podcasts and might use them instead of Pimsleur (as they are free), but I'm not sure which I like better.

Return to “Total Annihilation Challenge”