[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
TAC 2014 - vijayjohn - Page 12 - UniLang

TAC 2014 - vijayjohn

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators: Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Car, ''', Global Moderators

dEhiN
Language Forum Moderator

Re: TAC 2014 - vijayjohn

Postby dEhiN » 2014-11-03, 1:21

vijayjohn wrote:OK, so after I took that placement test, no offense to any fans of Duolingo, but it quickly killed my hopes. I mean, I guess I don't mind doing that kind of stuff, but it's really not the best way to learn a language in my opinion. It's just lots and lots of drills, and it takes forever to get to the next level.

Yeah I think this my problem with Duo as well - the drills. I understand the need for repetition, but since the algorithm anyway chooses the words it deems you need practice on, and uses those to form the "wonderful" exercises, why have so many questions for one lesson?

Duo is a good way to learn vocabulary, but honestly it takes forever!
Je veux parler toutes les langues dans le monde!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-11-05, 0:52

Yeah. Thanks for recommending FluentU, btw. I've been trying out both, and tbh, I don't find either one to be that great (yet), but at least FluentU looks a little more useful. I've found a few videos there to go through (and finished going through two in French, starting with the latest song I posted on the "Political Music" thread :lol:).

I think lately, I've been focusing mostly on how to improve my skills in the languages I know best, and now, I think I'm finally starting to think about what to do in languages I don't know so well, and even in which order. I think I might do something similar to what I was doing with Malayalam and Sanskrit for a while, e.g. with Portuguese and Spanish, I think I'd find it interesting to at least take a look at (some of) the varieties that lie in between. After that, I could look at the relationship between the Romance languages (well, at least French, Portuguese, and Spanish :P) and Latin. Then I could go through Russian and BCS (in either order), then Turkish, then...Hindi/Urdu? Then Swahili, and then I guess Thai.

OK, this was a crazy (and definitely vague) post. I mean, I might even try this out, but it probably won't last long anyway. I just wanted to write my thoughts down before I forgot (again). :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-11-06, 23:09

OK, I've finally decided that FluentU is not that useful, either. Most of their videos are not available for free. They list 423 videos for French, but only 54 of them are free; if you want to use any of the other videos, you have to pay for it ($8 a month, $80 a year for a basic membership; $18 a month and $180 a year to access everything they have). 56/229 are free for German, 52/552 for Spanish, and 54/1517 for Mandarin. Interestingly, it seems all 149 of their Japanese videos are free, as are an awful lot of their English videos.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-11-07, 9:21

I mentioned earlier that I think I should use the threads I've opened in various languages not only to document my mistakes but also to help myself review vocabulary that I've learned in them. I also think I might try to create games that exist in some of the languages I'm learning but not others. (Needless to say, I won't do this for languages that practically nobody else is learning, such as Swahili or Thai, let alone Quechua, Michif, etc.). But in order to do that, I'll have to try to keep a record of which threads those are. (For example, some forums have threads where you're only allowed to talk in that language; others don't. Some have random threads; some don't. And so on).

dEhiN
Language Forum Moderator

Postby dEhiN » 2014-11-11, 23:42

vijayjohn wrote:OK, I've finally decided that FluentU is not that useful, either. Most of their videos are not available for free. They list 423 videos for French, but only 54 of them are free; if you want to use any of the other videos, you have to pay for it ($8 a month, $80 a year for a basic membership; $18 a month and $180 a year to access everything they have). 56/229 are free for German, 52/552 for Spanish, and 54/1517 for Mandarin. Interestingly, it seems all 149 of their Japanese videos are free, as are an awful lot of their English videos.

Oh I didn't realize it wasn't fully free! That's a shame. Then maybe I might drop it as well.
Je veux parler toutes les langues dans le monde!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-11-12, 19:20

Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that neither Duolingo nor FluentU is all that helpful, at least for me. I don't think I'll totally cut myself off from them yet, though, just in case I find some of their exercises or videos helpful or feel like going through them. :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-11-17, 7:46

All right, time to update my language-learning list again! I've done BCS, Russian, and Turkish, and now, I'm doing Mandarin Chinese just because I've been kind of waiting to do it for a while and feel like it. Then that will be the last of the languages I know really well. The only languages that I know somewhat well apart from that are Swahili and Thai. I'm not sure what I'll do after Mandarin Chinese, though. Maybe Dinka.

Oh, and what I seem to have decided to do with languages I give myself two stars for is to review books I've been using for them and learn new vocabulary and such (using other books). I'm not yet sure what to use for learning new vocabulary in Swahili, though. All I have in Swahili is TY. I think I can try to look for reading materials (and newspapers) in Swahili online, but I think I should also maybe try looking at stuff like research papers or online language courses. I'll have to look for it, though. Maybe I can also see whether anybody has posted such resources for Swahili on the African languages forum.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-11-19, 21:27

So, I've started opening threads in various languages to document mistakes I've made in those languages, but often, I guess I don't really understand what exactly the mistakes are. Like, I may say something that doesn't make sense in the context I wrote it in, but then I'm not sure how to avoid that mistake later on, because I don't know in what contexts it's wrong and in what contexts it would actually be okay. I think it's in Mandarin Chinese that this problem is most serious, or at least, that's the one where other UniLangers have pointed this out most frequently.

I'm also starting to wonder whether my proficiency in certain languages is overstated. :para: In particular, I wonder whether I should knock Mandarin (and maybe even some other languages, like Spanish) down from three stars to two, and maybe some (all? :lol:) of my two-star languages down to one. For now, I think I'll just keep the evaluations on my profile as they are. Urrghhh, I hate having to evaluate proficiency! :x I mean, it's just another one of those areas where if you give yourself x number of stars for some particular language, people can easily get the wrong idea of how well you know that language.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-11-22, 9:25

OK, I'm going to update my list again, even though nobody will be able to see the updated list anyway. But don't worry. The only thing that's changed so far is that I crossed out Mandarin Chinese as well, and now I've moved on to Dinka. (Actually, for all I know, I may be able to cross Dinka out now, too). :P Oh, and by the way...now I'm starting to believe that I didn't need to worry much about whether my proficiency was overstated after all, not even in Mandarin. :) Also, I still need to review words in some of the other new languages I've been learning! At least I started doing that yesterday though. :)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-11-25, 10:43

Updating yet again (I'm crossing out Swahili, Dinka, and Krio):

So now, I guess I'll just do English, then ASL (because why the hell not), and then the rest of the languages in this list in the order they're listed in. (Oh, and I just reviewed my Dinka vocabulary).

Now, there are two things I want to do before I forget. One is to figure out how to get some additional resource(s) to learn Swahili; the other is to review my list of languages. (In fact, maybe I should also update the languages on my profile and maybe even actually make a signature that more accurately reflects how I think of my profiency in these languages, but mehhhh :P).

Well, I just found a limited preview of Colloquial Swahili online. And there seem to be quite a few movies in Swahili on YouTube as well, so those (or at least other YouTube videos with subtitles or whatever) should be rather useful (at least if I actually use them :P). I can also just try looking for linguistics papers that have to do with Swahili.

And now to review my list of languages. This is basically an update of what I said in the second post on this thread.

Like I said before, I'm learning eight Indo-European languages (and speak another one already, i.e. English :P), specifically:
3 Romance (French, Portuguese, Spanish) + Latin
1 Germanic (German)
2 Slavic (Russian, BCS)
1 Indo-Aryan (Hindi/Urdu)

I'm also doing:
1 Dravidian language (Malayalam)
1 Turkic language (Turkish)
1 Sino-Tibetan language (Mandarin Chinese)
1 Tai-Kadai language (Thai)

Those are all the Eurasian languages I'm doing. I'm also learning two African languages:
1 Nilo-Saharan language (DInka)
1 Bantu language (Swahili)

Four languages from islands in the Pacific :P
Two Austronesian:
Tagalog, Indonesian

and two Papuan:
Oirata, Teiwa

Two languages from South America:
1 Quechuan (Cuzco Quechua)
1 Araucanian (Mapudungun)

Two languages from North America:
1 Algonquian (Lnuismk a.k.a. "Micmac")
1 mixed language (Michif)

Two creoles, both English-based:
Krio, Australian Kriol

and finally, one sign language:
American Sign Language (ASL) (although I did also kind of look at Kathakali signs...that's not quite the same thing, though)

Hmmm...maybe I should try learning another sign language next. I'll probably try to learn ASL somewhat well, then also try to learn French Sign Language (FSL).

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-11-26, 2:12

I think I'll probably just watch some subtitled movies in Swahili instead of trying to go through Colloquial Swahili. It'll probably help a lot more.

While most of this is hypothetical (and it's all crazy), I think probably instead of trying to do another sign language next, the next language I should try to do is Arabic (preferably Damascus dialect/Syrian or at least Levantine). I'd also like to learn Amharic (but I'd want to start with Arabic first). Hebrew would be nice, too, but it's lower priority for me than Arabic or Amharic. I guess my preferred fourth Semitic language would be Tigrinya.

I'm also kind of thinking of which other languages I could do in the future. Let's see, I'm doing two African languages from very different language families, so I could also do Hausa and Somali maybe. Malagasy would be my preferred third Austronesian language, since I already know it to some extent anyway. And my fourth would be Balinese, since I have at least one resource for it. I'm not sure what my third and fourth Papuan languages would be, though. Maybe languages that are actually spoken in Papua New Guinea, like Enga and Haruai. My third and fourth South American languages would definitely be Guarani and Tukano, although before I do either of those here, I might want to do some languages from Central America for a change (maybe K'iche' and Nahuatl?). For North America, I guess my next two languages would be...maybe Cayuga and...Navajo? I dunno lol. The next creole I'd want to do would definitely be Cape Verdean Creole, but I'm not sure what the fourth one would be. Probably Guinea Creole. But then what would my next two sign languages be? Hmmm. Preferably two outside the French Sign Language family. Maybe something like BSL and Auslan.

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2014-11-26, 2:32

Wow, Arabic, Hebrew, Amharic AND Tigrinya?
Get out of my head?

And Cayuga? :shock: Seriously, are you in my head? :bastard: :lol:
þūhte mē þæt ic gesāwe syllicre trēow on lyft lædan lēohte bewunden bēama beorhtost.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-11-26, 4:34

I thought of Cayuga only because you and I think somebody else were both talking about learning it once on the NAIL forum. :lol: And then after I wrote that post, I remembered that I forgot all about Australian languages! :P Let's see...I'm already learning Light Warlpiri, so it makes sense to do Warlpiri as well, and then there's also Gurindji and Gurindji Kriol, which is another mixed language (kind of like Light Warlpiri but older and formed from Gurindji rather than Warlpiri). :)

EDIT: OK, let's admit it. I'm secretly thinking of Cree, too, since after all, I'm already doing Michif. :P I might also do Yurok.

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2014-11-26, 12:16

vijayjohn wrote:I thought of Cayuga only because you and I think somebody else were both talking about learning it once on the NAIL forum. :lol:

Cayuga fever sweeps through Unilang! :P

And then after I wrote that post, I remembered that I forgot all about Australian languages!
Ah, I love Aussie languages. Don't remind me, I might have to add one. Maybe later this coming year.

EDIT: OK, let's admit it. I'm secretly thinking of Cree, too, since after all, I'm already doing Michif. :P I might also do Yurok.

Both good choices. I love that they have that Yurok project at the University of California. They have some good stuff over there. Free on the internet always beats books (as much as I love having physical books).
þūhte mē þæt ic gesāwe syllicre trēow on lyft lædan lēohte bewunden bēama beorhtost.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-11-26, 20:17

księżycowy wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:I thought of Cayuga only because you and I think somebody else were both talking about learning it once on the NAIL forum. :lol:

Cayuga fever sweeps through Unilang! :P

Well...when you mentioned me being in your head, you reminded me of how my dad used to fuck with my brother and me by asking whether we were the same person or two different people, because we had so much in common. :lol:
Ah, I love Aussie languages. Don't remind me, I might have to add one. Maybe later this coming year.

You could start with Kriol! :partyhat: :D
Both good choices. I love that they have that Yurok project at the University of California. They have some good stuff over there. Free on the internet always beats books (as much as I love having physical books).

Thanks! Yeah, I think that's the course I'm thinking of, too. And I find that often, you just don't have books for quite a lot of languages. I swear, I know languages for which literally the only resources (broadly defined) that I know of are a few recordings from the Global Recordings Network. :lol:

And since I'm on my TAC again, I might as well note that maybe the next two creoles I do will also be English-based after all. :P I might do, say, either Jamaican Creole or Guyanese Creole plus Tok Pisin. Or if I want to do two Pacific English-based creoles, Tok Pisin and either Bislama or Torres Strait Creole.

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2014-11-27, 1:25

Speaking of Creoles, maybe I'll fuck around with some Haitian Creole after I get my French off to a good start. I've always thought of learning that one. Maybe because I like French?

See? You are in my head! :lol:

Sorry, you can have your thread back now. :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-11-27, 7:14

księżycowy wrote:Speaking of Creoles, maybe I'll fuck around with some Haitian Creole after I get my French off to a good start. I've always thought of learning that one. Maybe because I like French?

See? You are in my head! :lol:

Nah, now I'm out of your head. Haitian Creole is a little overrated on UniLang IMO. :P I mean, every thread on the Creole Languages subforum that I didn't open myself seems to be about either Tok Pisin or Haitian Creole. :lol:
Sorry, you can have your thread back now. :P

Thanks! Oh yeah, księżycowy, how dare you spam my TAC because it isn't like everybody spams everybody's TAC! :lol: I'm so offended and outraged! :P (Please don't tell me you took any part of those last two sentences seriously :lol:).

OK, I'm done now, lol. (Sorry, I just can't seem to resist whenever somebody apologizes for hijacking my thread :lol:). So, time to update my list of languages again! Hmm...this time, I also crossed out English, ASL, and Thai. I'm doing Tagalog now, but that reminds me that I'm not, like, using any actual resources for learning Tagalog! I used to just practice it on Skype, but that hasn't been happening in the past few months probably. I should try to figure out how I'm going to learn it. But meh. :P

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-11-27, 7:27

vijayjohn wrote:Cree

:partyhat: And we can totally study together! :partyhat:

Whatever free online resources you find — unless you use those which are suggested on the NAIL resources thread that are textbooks you buy or loan — share with me pls! Ya know, if you do decide to do Cree.

Oh and:
Sorry, I just can't seem to resist whenever somebody apologizes for hijacking my thread :lol:

Sorry for spamming! :rotfl:
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2014-11-27, 12:22

vijayjohn wrote:Nah, now I'm out of your head. Haitian Creole is a little overrated on UniLang IMO. :P I mean, every thread on the Creole Languages subforum that I didn't open myself seems to be about either Tok Pisin or Haitian Creole. :lol:

I don't like Tok Pisin that much either, but Haitian Creole does have it's allure for me. Maybe voodoo has cast it's spell on me. Haha.

I guess we're not of the same mind anymore. :doggy:

Thanks! Oh yeah, księżycowy, how dare you spam my TAC because it isn't like everybody spams everybody's TAC! :lol: I'm so offended and outraged! :P (Please don't tell me you took any part of those last two sentences seriously :lol:).

Try and stop me! :wicked:

Seriously though, I was kidding myself. :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-11-27, 15:55

księżycowy wrote:I don't like Tok Pisin that much either, but Haitian Creole does have it's allure for me. Maybe voodoo has cast it's spell on me. Haha.

Oh, cool! Now we just have to make santería cast its own spell on you so then you'll finally learn Spanish. Then it'll serve as a conduit for you to learn lots and lots of indigenous languages of the Americas, and you'll be so happy! :lol:
I guess we're not of the same mind anymore. :doggy:

It's okay. We have to have some way of differentiating ourselves. :P Then again, I did start learning Haitian Creole at a young age even though I didn't get very far. I don't mind learning it, but there are just a bunch of others that I think of as being higher priority. But my priorities wrt languages are highly flexible anyway. :lol:
Try and stop me! :wicked:

It's wicked, almost evil, how I was expecting that smiley to move (even though I'm sure I've seen it before :lol:) but it doesn't.
Seriously though, I was kidding myself. :P

I know. :lol:

And happy Thanksgiving! :D
Last edited by vijayjohn on 2014-11-28, 5:36, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Total Annihilation Challenge”