[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
TAC 2014 - vijayjohn - Page 13 - UniLang

TAC 2014 - vijayjohn

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators: Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Car, ''', Global Moderators

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Re: TAC 2014 - vijayjohn

Postby księżycowy » 2014-11-27, 16:37

vijayjohn wrote:Oh, cool! Now we just have to make santería cast its own spell on you so then you'll finally learn Spanish. Then it'll serve as a conduit for you to learn lots and lots of indigenous languages of the Americas, and you'll be so happy! :lol:

Spanish might yet get past the moat, but there are many guards afoot inside the castle!

It's okay. We have to have some way of differentiating ourselves. :P Then again, I did start learning Haitian Creole at a young age even though I didn't get very far. I don't mind learning it, but there are just a bunch of others that I think of as being higher priority. But my priorities wrt languages are highly flexible anyway. :lol:

Hope lives! :whoo:

And of course I understand prioritizing languages, hence why I'm doing French at the moment. That's not to say I don't like French, but let's face it, if I had a choice in the matter I'd probably do something a little more exotic and save French for a rainy day.

And happy Thanksgiving! :D

Same to you!
þūhte mē þæt ic gesāwe syllicre trēow on lyft lædan lēohte bewunden bēama beorhtost.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-11-27, 18:30

księżycowy wrote:Spanish might yet get past the moat, but there are many guards afoot inside the castle!

We'll just have to convert them, too, then. :P
Hope lives! :whoo:

Well, with me, there's hope for pretty much anybody who wants to see me learn one language or another. :lol:
And of course I understand prioritizing languages, hence why I'm doing French at the moment. That's not to say I don't like French, but let's face it, if I had a choice in the matter I'd probably do something a little more exotic and save French for a rainy day.

Yeah, I think I felt the same way when I first started learning French (or a whole bunch of languages, really). Like I'd read about "the Francophone world" in French textbooks and think, "Oh man, I should learn all the languages people actually speak in these countries!" :lol: Or I'd read Barron's Getting By in Russian from the Soviet era where they teach the word девушка in the context of a hotel and think "ooh, I wonder what their native languages are" :P
Same to you!

Thanks! :)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-11-28, 16:20

Koko wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Cree

:partyhat: And we can totally study together! :partyhat:

Sure! :D (at least if I actually decide to do Cree)
Whatever free online resources you find — unless you use those which are suggested on the NAIL resources thread that are textbooks you buy or loan — share with me pls! Ya know, if you do decide to do Cree.

I swear I had found some lessons on Swampy Cree not more than two years ago, but they seem to have disappeared. I can't find them anywhere anymore. :? Oh well, you're probably more interested in the variety that's spoken in Alberta, which isn't Swampy Cree anyway; it's Plains Cree, which is also the variety that clearly contributed to the variety of Michif I'm learning.

So yeah, I'll let you know if I find anything (good) for Plains Cree. Apart from that, all I know in Plains Cree is basically whatever I've learned in Michif. :lol: Here's the thread on Michif, just in case you're interested in looking at it. :)
Oh and:
Sorry, I just can't seem to resist whenever somebody apologizes for hijacking my thread :lol:

Sorry for spamming! :rotfl:

:lol:

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-11-28, 19:13

Great! And yes, Plains Cree is the variety I would prefer. You may be better at Cree than me if you've studied Michif, which kinda makes me sad :lol: .
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-11-29, 2:52

Awww! Well, if it makes you feel any better, I can try to share whatever I know with you so then you'll know at least as much Cree as I do. :)

----

Anyway, time to update my language list yet again:

Now I only have four languages left to do in my list, and I have a whole month to do them! :D I think that's pretty cool. It gives me time to take care of other stuff, too, hopefully. Although I'm guessing (maybe even hoping) that more stuff I can post about will happen on this forum outside the language-specific section (because it's almost certain that nothing will happen on the threads that have anything to do with Light Warlpiri, Quechua, Mapudungun, Lnuismk, or Michif, and not very likely that much will happen on the forums dedicated to indigenous languages of the Americas either :P).

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2014-11-29, 11:19

vijayjohn wrote:and not very likely that much will happen on the forums dedicated to indigenous languages of the Americas either :P).

Hey! What's the suppose to mean? :hmpf:
þūhte mē þæt ic gesāwe syllicre trēow on lyft lædan lēohte bewunden bēama beorhtost.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-11-29, 18:17

księżycowy wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:and not very likely that much will happen on the forums dedicated to indigenous languages of the Americas either :P).

Hey! What's the suppose to mean? :hmpf:

That there aren't enough people on those forums? :| That being said, I do think there's been enough activity there to allow me to stall for a whole month before I'm done with the last four languages on my list. 8-)

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2014-11-30, 0:53

That was a joke, I'm have no illusions about the state of my subforum. :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-11-30, 3:25

I figured it was, but it still gave me an opportunity to point out that at least there's enough stuff there for me to comment on. :D

dEhiN
Language Forum Moderator

Postby dEhiN » 2014-12-10, 9:01

Hijack hijack hijack hijack

Spam spam spam spam

Ok, now that I've gotten that out of my system, I like step away for a week or two and suddenly your TAC bursts with activity!

I've never been that interested in Creoles myself. I guess my viewpoint on them is, why not just learn the language(s) that influence the creole? So to me, if a creole is a mix of languages A, B, and C, and I learn those languages, then I could understand the creole anyway, and I get 3 full languages as part of the deal. (And I use the word full because I suppose in my mind a creole is not a full language - it's more like a hybrid or bastardisation of 2 or more languages.)

Vijay, have you thought about adding Japanese to your list? You already know some of it. Or you could also do Korean or another Chinese dialect.
Je veux parler toutes les langues dans le monde!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-12-10, 9:10

dEhiN wrote:Ok, now that I've gotten that out of my system, I like step away for a week or two and suddenly your TAC bursts with activity!

Really? Nothing's been happening on it for the past...well, almost two weeks! (<- doesn't know how to count, had to pause to look at a calendar) :lol:
I've never been that interested in Creoles myself. I guess my viewpoint on them is, why not just learn the language(s) that influence the creole? So to me, if a creole is a mix of languages A, B, and C, and I learn those languages, then I could understand the creole anyway, and I get 3 full languages as part of the deal. (And I use the word full because I suppose in my mind a creole is not a full language - it's more like a hybrid or bastardisation of 2 or more languages.)

Well, conversely, you could ask why not just learn the creole that's been influenced by those languages, because then you get vocab from all of those languages as part of the deal. ;) And it is a full language (in fact, sometimes studying a creole is not quite as easy as you might think it is. Some Australian languages distinguish between not only singular and plural but also dual and trial. So guess how many of those Australian Kriol distinguishes, despite being English-based! :lol:), but you probably knew that already. :P I hope. :twisted:
Vijay, have you thought about adding Japanese to your list? You already know some of it.

Later.
Or you could also do Korean

Later. :lol:
or another Chinese dialect.

Laaaterrrrrr! :whistle: :D

Youngfun
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Youngfun » 2014-12-10, 9:17

Although I'm not gonna learn a creole shortly myself, I like the idea of creoles. Probably because in my life I encounter similar phenomena, such as the frequent code-switching between Chinese dialects and Italian; or immigrants of different linguistic background speaking with each other in broken Italian and just communicate fine.
dEhiN wrote:a Chinese dialect.

No, that's my monopoly!

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2014-12-10, 11:21

Youngfun wrote:

No, that's my monopoly!

Not for long. :wicked:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-12-10, 20:29

Youngfun wrote:

No, that's my monopoly!

You have a monopoly on Chinese dialects? Then how come you gave me a link to a course on Qingtianese?! :lol:

Come on, be young and fun! Spread the love around a little! :P
księżycowy wrote:
Youngfun wrote:

No, that's my monopoly!

Not for long. :wicked:

Oh, really? :twisted:

Youngfun
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Youngfun » 2014-12-11, 2:41

Well... I still have that monopoly, unless somebody else learns a Chinese dialects other than Mandarin! :twisted:
Actually no. Here there are [probably ethnic Chinese] users from China, Taiwan, Singapore, Indonesia who know more than one Chinese dialect.
And also, some Unilangers studied Cantonese without learning Mandarin first.

And yes, YoungFun is slowly turning into OldBoring!

dEhiN
Language Forum Moderator

Postby dEhiN » 2014-12-11, 6:26

I really want to get into the Chinese dialects, but I'm still stuck on mastering the Mando tones. I know each dialect has its own tones, but since Mando is my first Chinese language, I need to get used to the concept of a tonal language.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-12-11, 20:39

Youngfun wrote:Here there are [probably ethnic Chinese] users from China, Taiwan, Singapore, Indonesia who know more than one Chinese dialect.

China, Taiwan, and Singapore, yes, but Indonesia, really? :shock: And there aren't too many of them anyway, are there?
And also, some Unilangers studied Cantonese without learning Mandarin first.

Did they really, or did they just say they were thinking of doing that? :lol:
dEhiN wrote:I really want to get into the Chinese dialects, but I'm still stuck on mastering the Mando tones. I know each dialect has its own tones, but since Mando is my first Chinese language, I need to get used to the concept of a tonal language.

Fair enough. It took me years to get the Mandarin tones down as a kid. My brother knows a little bit of Mandarin, too, but I don't think he knows the tones on those phrases he knows too well. :lol:

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2014-12-11, 21:29

vijayjohn wrote:
Youngfun wrote:Here there are [probably ethnic Chinese] users from China, Taiwan, Singapore, Indonesia who know more than one Chinese dialect.

China, Taiwan, and Singapore, yes, but Indonesia, really? :shock: And there aren't too many of them anyway, are there?
lol:

Maybe he means Malayasia? There are many Chinese in Malayasia.
अहिंसा
TAC 2015:  (hi) (ja) (ar) (fr)
Loves: (bn) (ta) (id) (tr) (ur)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-12-11, 21:31

Meera wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:

lol:

Maybe he means Malayasia? There are many Chinese in Malayasia.

Well, there are lots of Indonesians of Chinese origin, too, but I didn't know there were any on UniLang. :lol:

dEhiN
Language Forum Moderator

Postby dEhiN » 2014-12-12, 1:08

Yeah I've met a few Indonesians of Chinese origin who speak Mandarin, but on ConversationExchange.com. Not really sure about on here. Though to be fair, I haven't ventured out that much into the language-specific forums.

Return to “Total Annihilation Challenge”