[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
2015 TAC language student-Turkish - Page 2 - UniLang

2015 TAC language student-Turkish

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators: Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Car, ''', Global Moderators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: 2015 TAC language student-Turkish & Spanish

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-11-17, 8:45

Koko wrote:My mind has actually been effed! WTH is happening to my life?! Can someone varify if they are joking or not? If so, you two are just cruel and I deserve to start early too!

I'm sure they didn't mean to hurt your feelings or anything. I'm sure you can start whenever you want to, really. :) It's not like starting a language at the end of the year is against forum policy and will cause the admins to ban you or something. :lol:
I like how you're so chill about some random dude just showing up envious to your TAC log.

For what it's worth, it's pretty common here for random people to show up on somebody's TAC and spam it. :)

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-11-17, 8:46

Lol, sorry. But since you were okay with my calling you sir it's whatevs. Now I know for next time!

I didn't even think about checking if you were female: I'm so used to just saying in a gender-neutral fashion "Excuse me, sir!" when somebody does something I disapprove that it didn't occur to me "sir" was a male title. Having a conlang that pays no attention to gender probably doesn't help either ^^

It's funny with the indent, because I was just re-reading that paragraph and noticed a small space before the "A." Whenever I notice some grammatical feature that is usually not seen, I have to point it out ^^ Life of a stickler.

EDIT: I've just been ninja'd by vijay… this in response to you student.
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

language student

Postby language student » 2014-11-17, 8:50

Koko wrote:

Haha, sorry language student, I've been talking on your thread and haven't even welcomed you yet! :oops: Welcome!

@vijayjohn
Well, Koko was so polite so it was ok :D

@Koko
stop by anytime :)

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-11-17, 8:52

vijayjohn wrote:
Koko wrote:My mind has actually been effed! WTH is happening to my life?! Can someone varify if they are joking or not? If so, you two are just cruel and I deserve to start early too!

I'm sure they didn't mean to hurt your feelings or anything. I'm sure you can start whenever you want to, really. :) It's not like starting a language at the end of the year is against forum policy and will cause the admins to ban you or something. :lol:

Well, it is for the next year*, and I would think rules should still be followed to some extent. Then again, starting a TAC for the upcoming year* around this time could be seen as you just combining a winter TAC with the one for the year following* so as to save a thread. I worried for nothing :lol: :roll:

@language student: awe, it just didn't seem right to spam, especially for me.

*the magic of synonyms
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

dEhiN
Language Forum Moderator

Postby dEhiN » 2014-11-17, 22:02

Wow a lot of responses! Koko, yes I was joking, and my apologies if I caused your mind to be effed! I was hoping the addition of three emoticons would've helped, but it all worked out.

language student wrote:No worries, I like seeing my log alive with conversation :)

Great, you'll fit right in! I guess people generally try to keep their responses specific to the person's TAC - encouragement, suggestions, questions, etc. But tangents happen every so often.

I haven't started yet, but I was hoping to start this week. I still have to figure out how to study two languages succesfully, and to get my material ready (more or less). I understand this will be trial and error at first, but I will probably alternate languages. If I manage to study every single day, that will be great.

When I first started juggling multiple languages, I created weekly goals for each language: finish lesson 1 in Duolingo for French, etc. I did this because time-based schedules don't work well for me. So I think a lot of what will work for you will be based on how you operate. If you are good with time-based schedules, try scheduling specific time slots for Turkish and Spanish. If you need a mix of time-based and goal-based, plan a specific goal for each time slot. Also, if this is your first time juggling two languages, I suggest trying to alternate days. At least for like the first 2 weeks or so. From my personal experience, like any muscle our brains become more capable with regular exercise. So once your brain gets used to doing 2 languages alternating days, then you could probably go up to doing both languages each day.

Again, thanks for all the advice. I haven't fully explored this forum yet but it seems like a treasure of ideas, advice and material.

You're welcome, and yeah the forum is great. In addition to the advice, material, etc., the community is pretty close and definitely helps a lot with staying motivated and encouraged.

PS. Regarding indents, I learned the rule that you either use an indent at the beginning of each paragraph when the paragraphs follow each other, or you add an extra line in between and don't indent. So doing both seems redundant to me. But that's probably one of my elementary school English teachers talking!
Je veux parler toutes les langues dans le monde!

Naihonn

Postby Naihonn » 2014-11-17, 22:22

Yep, joking. :whistle:

By the way, welcome here, language student girl. It is warm and cosy here. 8-) And good luck.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-11-18, 0:24

dEhiN wrote:I guess people generally try to keep their responses specific to the person's TAC - encouragement, suggestions, questions, etc. But tangents happen every so often.

Tangents are the norm on UniLang in general. :lol: But yeah, I think it's fair to say at least that TACs can get back on topic pretty easily. If they didn't, the person trying to do a TAC probably wouldn't be doing a very good job of it. :lol:
yeah the forum is great. In addition to the advice, material, etc., the community is pretty close and definitely helps a lot with staying motivated and encouraged.

Naihonn wrote:It is warm and cosy here. 8-)

I'm glad you like it here, and I really don't mean to be a party pooper (or to engage in sedition :P), but just so you know, I personally find that sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes people are nice here, sometimes they're not. But at least it doesn't shame you for being a language nerd. :)
dEhiN wrote:PS. Regarding indents, I learned the rule that you either use an indent at the beginning of each paragraph when the paragraphs follow each other, or you add an extra line in between and don't indent. So doing both seems redundant to me. But that's probably one of my elementary school English teachers talking!

I'm a rebel who never indents even though I'm sure I've been told to several times. :para: :lol:

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-11-18, 3:39

I've been taught that indents should always be used at the beginning of a new paragraph: usually including the first, but I've seen no indent on the first paragraph before. And there should always be a space between paragraphs: they separate paragraphs, not indents :| I've been told by a teacher that two people never say the same thing at the same time, so I don't put my faith in everything a teacher tells me, especially elementary teachers. I lost about three marks on a really good assignment just because I made two siblings say the same thing at the time. Her reason?: "This never happens in real life, uh durr :silly: ." This happens with me and my family like, everyday!! Stupid ---! No words describe her stupidity.

language student

Postby language student » 2014-11-19, 7:47

Nice info on indents, everyone. This is a very grammar/syntax conversations friendly log, just so you know.

As for the languages:

Turkish: read the first lesson of Hugo's three month course. It needs time to sink in so I'll study that for a while.

Spanish: Haven't started yet, but I've been watching "The bridge", with some dialogue here and there. I have been listening to some spanish songs as well, looking at lyrics. For example, can't speak spanish to save my life, but I do know what "por la madrugada" means. Songs are great for learning, because you can remember words and phrases etc.

I included the Destinos course in my material, which deserves a mention. It is a video course, much like a telenovela, a soap opera. Which is just as well because I will end up watching one as practice. So if anyone could point me to the direction of a good telenovela, with an actually interesting story, thanks in advance. So far I have watched the first episode.

Good advice on dealing with two languages, thank you. I am a goal oriented person myself, and besides at present I do have time so that's not an issue.

I will probably stop learning turkish after a certain level (as best as possible of course!), but I can see myself never giving up on spanish. It is a door into a global culture and I've been missing it all these years. And it's so beautiful! Don't get me wrong, I really like turkish too. But I have a feeling about spanish, as if I found my soulmate or someting.

by Naihonn
By the way, welcome here, language student girl. It is warm and cosy here. 8-) And good luck.

Thank you, I will need luck! :lol:

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-11-19, 8:01

Your goals are even more narrow than mine ^^

Sadly, I don't have any reading material in my target languages (yet :para: ). So, my goals can hardly be remotely close to "Finish chapters <#> in So-and-so's title goes here." Much things, many need, so requirement :( At least you have some resources ready at hand; well, I do too, but only a couple for Italian and Czech, maybe a couple for Bulgarian too, but only one for sure.

Good luck on your Türkçe and more so en su español. I'm sure thete's more Spanish speakers around you than speakers of my languages near me [self pity alert].

language student

Postby language student » 2014-11-19, 8:14

I have been overwhelmed as well in the past by sheer wanderlust, and it didn't work for me. However, there are people out there who are very successful with juggling many languages, so maybe all you need is a bit more planning and research.

Also, study other polyglots: how do they succeed? I bet each one has a personal routine and method. Maybe befriend a polyglot, as in finding a mentor? Most people are very eager to share knowledge.

Check out the FSI languages site for material, it's a good place to start as there are so many languages ready to be studied :D Even if you use other courses, FSI is always good for speaking/listening practice, as complementary material.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-11-19, 8:27

Děkuji! Grazie! <insert Bulgarian for "thanks!">! Thanks! I will try the FSI, and I've been using Memrise for Bulgarian and Friulian. Great for vocab at least. Have you been using the FSI courses too? It's sad how songs aren't the same practice as listening to conversations: I hardly hear any words I recognize.

language student

Postby language student » 2014-11-19, 8:32

Songs are mostly good for listening, but if you find and read the lyrics, phrases will stick to your mind. In fact, just try to get rid of them. So, it takes some deliberate work with songs to help you learn, but they are a great help.

I use FSI as an audio/listening/speaking complementary course, because it helps you respond automatically in real situations, and it does wonders for your accent. I'll use it for turkish and spanish, in fact I'm counting on it. I just need to cover some ground first with my regular textbooks.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-11-19, 10:06

Koko wrote:<insert Bulgarian for "thanks!">!

Благодаря!

dEhiN
Language Forum Moderator

Postby dEhiN » 2014-11-21, 9:53

Interesting about the FSI courses. I'll have to check them out.
Je veux parler toutes les langues dans le monde!

language student

Postby language student » 2014-11-21, 12:19

Platiquemos is in fact an FSI course slightly changed.

language student

Postby language student » 2015-01-15, 7:00

Update: I haven't been studying for several language unrelated reasons, but I have been thinking a lot about it. I decided to start with turkish only and put spanish (or any other language) on hold for now.

Turkish: I haven't done much but the year is still young. So, I renew my... vows and I start this week.

Wanderlust has ruined many plans in the past, and I need to avoid that at all costs. I don't have time to waste anyway, I want to make the most of all my efforts.

Trapy

Re: 2015 TAC language student-Turkish

Postby Trapy » 2015-01-15, 9:53

NO WANDERLUST!! :D . I remember when we first started TAC a and I ALWAYS failed in Jan or Feb because a shiny new activity or language would come by (I'm looking at you, czech and Ainu). Force yourself to look up and try to learn one word every day. I then try to study at least an hour on the weekends, but one word a day and forcing myself to type something on here every two or three days has helped. The year is still early but I feel better just by forcing myself to post and, at least looking up a word. Not nessecarily anything from study material- ex I'm a dad, so even though my materials are going over greetings, I looked up father, son, mother wife daughter etc.

Good luck! stick to it! And back in our hayday we were ALL wanderlusters. And still are.

language student

Postby language student » 2015-01-15, 10:08

language student

Postby language student » 2015-02-13, 10:06

Dear EGE, I am so happy to hear from you :D

Return to “Total Annihilation Challenge”