[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
TAC 2015 - eskandar (French, Arabic, Urdu) - UniLang

TAC 2015 - eskandar (French, Arabic, Urdu)

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators: Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Car, ''', Global Moderators

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

TAC 2015 - eskandar (French, Arabic, Urdu)

Postby eskandar » 2014-11-26, 0:15

I thought it might be worthwhile to open a thread here to keep track of my progress, and to motivate me to put in more work. If you're going to post here, please do so in French, Arabic, or Urdu if possible! (Of course English, Persian, or Spanish are fine too :))

French (primary focus)
Current level: A2 speaking, B1+ reading
Goal: B2 or C1 by September 2015, with emphasis on speaking
Materials: Assimil New French With Ease, Michel Thomas, Pimsleur, my surroundings

I've never taken a French class or even seriously studied French on my own before (just dabbled a little in the past), and now I'm living in Paris and need to be able to communicate. Knowing Spanish has served me well and I find that I can read written French with relative ease, but I can't make heads or tails of spoken French yet and my own speaking is severely limited. While I'm more interested in reading, speaking is an important practical necessity here so that will be my focus. I don't get that much exposure to spoken French, despite living in Paris, because I work in an English-speaking environment and only have Anglophone friends.

Note on materials: I've heard such good things about Assimil that I decided to give it a try, but if anyone has suggestions for other books for self-study that they had success with, I'd love to hear them. Is TY French any good? I've started using Michel Thomas and have found it a great way to begin speaking. I also intend to use Pimsleur to that end.

Progress
Assimil: Page 0/475
Michel Thomas French Foundation: Disc 7/8
Pimsleur French I: Lesson 0/30

Arabic - الفصحى (secondary focus)
Current level: probably somewhere in B range. Broad vocabulary, good passive understanding, weak knowledge of grammar.
Goal: learn as much grammar as I can and improve my reading
Materials: An Introduction to Koranic and Classical Arabic (Wheeler Thackston), Al-Kitaab

I'm trying to give priority to French as it's the most important language for me to learn at the moment, but I'd like to keep up with my Arabic as well, especially as there is such a big Arab community in Paris (particularly in my part of the city) and I'm so close to North Africa, where I'd like to travel soon. I've had two brief terms of Arabic study at university a few years ago, and the rest has been on my own off and on over the years. I retain vocabulary really well (knowing Persian, Urdu, and Turkish to varying degrees helps enormously there) but my grammar is patchwork and not that advanced. I'd like to increase my understanding of the grammar and improve my reading skills. Mostly I want to work through Thackston's book from the very beginning, but am also reviewing Al-Kitaab as I had learned from it previously.

Progress
Thackston: 9/258 (I'm posting my answers to the exercises in the book here)
Al-Kitaab Vol 1: 209/393 (moving through pretty quickly, reviewing material I'd covered before)

Urdu
Current level: B2, maybe C1 reading
Goal: maintain my level if not improve it
Materials: online sources, films and music, research materials

I studied Urdu intensively in 2013, and engaged with it enough in 2014 to avoid forgetting too much. My goal is simply to maintain an active engagement with the language so that my level doesn't drop below where it is currently. I review vocab daily in Anki (as I do for all my languages) but that isn't enough. I follow a few Urdu-language Facebook pages and post in a forum or two, and will try to listen actively to songs in the language and watch films to keep my Urdu going. Some of my research also involves Urdu material so that's my best source of practice. I'll keep track of what I do with Urdu here as well.
Tracking my progress here. Please correct my mistakes in any language.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Re: TAC 2015 - eskandar (French, Arabic, Urdu)

Postby eskandar » 2014-11-27, 21:53

French
Michel Thomas French Foundation: Disc 8/8 (was: 7/8)

Listened to a disc of Michel Thomas French today, that was about all I had time/energy for! Hopefully I'll find the motivation to start Assimil soon.

Arabic
Thackston: 14/258 (was: 9/258)
Al-Kitaab Vol 1: 209/393

Read Lesson Two from Thackston and posted my answers to the exercises here.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2014-11-30, 23:18

French
Michel Thomas French Foundation: complete! (was: starting 8/8)

I haven't yet decided whether to do the MT Foundation Review discs immediately next, or start one of the Builder or Vocabulary sets or something. Or maybe I'll take a break from MT and start the Pimsleur.

Arabic
Thackston: 19/258 (was: 14/258)

Completed another chapter from Thackston and posted my answers to the exercises here.

Urdu

I watched this Urdu interview with Masood Alam Falahi about his book "Hindustaan mein zaat-paat aur musalmaan" (Muslims and the caste system in India). It was interesting, though the author was a little hard to follow at times because he doesn't enunciate super clearly. I should find a way to practice my speaking; I'll be going to Hyderabad, India for a short research trip in a couple weeks and I don't want to be rusty! At least I'll try to watch some movies or something for listening practice.

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2014-12-01, 4:47

Hey Eskandar! Welcome to the TAC :mrgreen: I look forward to reading your updates.
अहिंसा
TAC 2015:  (hi) (ja) (ar) (fr)
Loves: (bn) (ta) (id) (tr) (ur)

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2014-12-03, 23:36

Merci, shukran, & shukriya Meera :)

French

Pimsleur French I: Lesson 2/30 (was: 0/30)

I decided to start going through the Pimsleur course as I think my pronunciation needs some work. Can't find the motivation to put much work into French or start reading Assimil. I don't know why I have such a mental block with French...

Arabic

Thackston: 26/258 (was: 19/258)

Completed another chapter from Thackston and posted my answers to the exercises here. Slowly chipping away at Thackston. Wish I had more time for Arabic as I'm really enjoying getting a solid foundation in the minute details of grammar, after years of being able to read and speak some Arabic but mostly not knowing how to properly apply cases.

Urdu

For practice I've listened to some Hindi songs and learned some Hindi words that I don't think are used much (or maybe not used at all) in Urdu:

dishaa: direction (Urdu equivalent: طرف taraf)

shaktii: power (Urdu equivalent: طاقت taaqat)

bhiitar: interior, inside, within (Urdu equivalent: اندر andar)

All of these Urdu equivalents are also commonly used in Hindi, of course.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2014-12-07, 23:07

French

Pimsleur French I: Lesson 3/30 (was: 2/30)

Still barely engaging with French at all and totally unmotivated to learn it. If I weren't living in Paris I'd have dropped it entirely by now. Hopefully I'll force myself to crack open that Assimil PDF one of these days.

Arabic

Thackston: 32/258 (was: 26/258)

Completed another chapter from Thackston and posted my answers to the exercises in the usual place. I met a Syrian guy the other day and chatted with him in colloquial Arabic for an hour or two. (He spoke Syrian Arabic and I spoke... a bad mix of Egyptian and Levantine Arabic, throwing in MSA and English where needed. But I was always understood!) I was happy that I could understand just about everything he said, I've never really studied Levantine Arabic but it's not so different from Egyptian, and I was already familiar with some of the important basic aspects of the language (like using حکی instead of تكلم for example) from friends and from Levantine media.

Urdu

Read this article the other day about a three-day seminar recently held at Darulmusannefin Shibli Academy in Azamgarh, India. I also wrote a couple emails in Urdu. I think I want to pick up some Ibne Safi detective novels in Urdu when I go to Hyderabad, those should make for some fun practice.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2014-12-14, 5:44

French

Pimsleur French I: Lesson 6/30 (was: 3/30)

I signed up for a short intensive (40+ hours of instruction spread over 2 weeks) French course for foreigners, to be held in January. I think that should be a good kick to get me started with French, and maybe then I'll start studying more actively than just listening to a Pimsleur lesson on my commute to work once in a while!

Arabic

Thackston: 39/258 (was: 32/258)
Al-Kitaab Vol 1: 222/393 (was: 209/393)

Slow but steady progress here, reviewed another chapter from Thackston and another from Al-Kitaab. Looking into studying in Cairo this summer.

Urdu

Read a couple versions of a joke in Urdu that pokes fun at the more high-falutin' register of the language. Tomorrow if I find the time I want to try to read some of Altaf Husayn Hali's مقدمہ شعر و شاعری (Introduction: on Poetry) from his divan.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2014-12-21, 12:42

Urdu

I've put French and Arabic on hold temporarily while I'm in Hyderabad. I'm really happy with my Urdu lately, I speak it every day here and constantly get compliments on how well I speak! Though I'm sure some of that is just due to being a foreigner who speaks Hindi/Urdu, so I'd probably be getting complimented even if I was speaking really poorly, haha. Still, I'm glad that I understand the language around me and am understood when I speak. It seems that not everyone here necessarily speaks with a very Hyderabadi/Dakhani accent; I wonder if that's the influence of standard Urdu from the media. Nevertheless, I've picked up on some of the peculiarities of Hyderabadi Urdu:

-mere ku for mujhe (similar to mere ko in many Western and Eastern Hindi/Urdu dialects)
-hao for haaN (both words seem to be used, even by the same speakers)
-nakko for nahiiN
-hallu for aahista (eg. bhaiyya, thoRa hallu chalo! :wink: )

As far as I can tell, all of these are limited to the spoken language. I picked up a couple of local Urdu newspapers (Etemaad and Sahafi-e-Deccan Daily Hyderabad) and they seem to be written in 'standard' Urdu, which is not surprising. I'm bummed they don't have crossword puzzles, though! There were one or two Urdu papers I used to read in Lucknow that had crossword puzzles, which were a special treat for a language enthusiast because the words used could be from Urdu, Hindi, Sanskrit, English, Persian, or Arabic...

Anyway, I guess I should set a goal for my short trip, so my goal will be to master the numbers 1-100. I still only really know 1-20, some of the 20s, and then 30, 40, 44 (why 44 and not any of the other 40s, I can't say), 50, 70, and 100... That's pretty bad. Though people seem to use the English numbers way more than the Urdu numbers here in Hyderabad, as opposed to Lucknow where people always used the Urdu numbers. I'll also try to read a few newspaper articles and maybe watch a Bollywood film or two if I find the time in the evenings.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2014-12-21, 19:22

ایسکندر جی، ہندوستان میں رہتے ہیں یا صرف سفر کر رہے ہیں آپ؟ مجھے مالم نہیں تھا کہ آپ حیدرآباد میں ہیں! میں اب اسلام آباد میں ہوں لیکن میں آٹھ جنوری کو بارسیلونا وابس جاتا ہوں۔ اور بتاو جی، ہندوستان آپکو کیسے لگتا ہے؟ آپ کب تک حیدر آباد میں ہونگے؟
Last edited by Saim on 2014-12-22, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.
ماں بولی = قومی بولی

پنجابی بولو، پنجابی پڑھو، پنجابی لکھو

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2014-12-22, 13:38

صائم بھائی، میں بس سفر کر رہا ہوں. مطالعہ کرنے کے لئے آیا ہوں اور یہاں صرف دو ہفتوں سے رہتے ہوئے، ایک جنوری کو پیرس واپس جاؤنگا. مجھے بھی معلوم نہیں تھا کہ تم اسلام آباد میں ہو! میں نے سنا کہ ایک سرسبز اور بالکل صاف شہر ہے، ہے نا؟ تمھیں کیسا لگتا ہے؟
حیدرآباد میرے پسندیدہ شہروں میں سے شامل ہے، مجھے بے حد اچھا لگتا ہے. اس کا تہذیب، آب و ہوا، عمارات، لذیذ کھانا وغیرہ سب عمدہ ہوتا ہے.
ویسے یہ بتا دو، جب تمہاری اردو میں کوئی غلطی ہو، تب میں تصحیح کر دوں، یا تمھیں پسند نہیں آتا؟

PEMbl

Postby PEMbl » 2014-12-22, 14:28

If you ever need help with french feel free to message me, I'm always glad to help! Although I speak Quebec french, not France's ;)
Fluent :  (fr-QC) (us)
Intermediate&Actively learning :  (ru)
Slowly begginning in :  (es) (uk)
Interested in : (sv) (de)

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2014-12-22, 15:00

Merci bien! De même, si tu as besoin d'aide avec l'espagnol, je suis disposé à aider. Est-ce il y a beaucoup de différence entre le français Quebecois et le français de la France dans la écriture? Je ne pense pas, mais vraiment je ne sais pas.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2014-12-22, 20:33

eskandar wrote:
صائم بھائی، میں بس سفر کر رہا ہوں. مطالعہ کرنے کے لئے آیا ہوں اور یہاں صرف دو ہفتوں سے رہتے ہوئے، ایک جنوری کو پیرس واپس جاؤنگا. مجھے بھی معلوم نہیں تھا کہ تم اسلام آباد میں ہو! میں نے سنا کہ ایک سرسبز اور بالکل صاف شہر ہے، ہے نا؟ تمھیں کیسا لگتا ہے؟
حیدرآباد میرے پسندیدہ شہروں میں سے شامل ہے، مجھے بے حد اچھا لگتا ہے. اس کا تہذیب، آب و ہوا، عمارات، لذیذ کھانا وغیرہ سب عمدہ ہوتا ہے.
ویسے یہ بتا دو، جب تمہاری اردو میں کوئی غلطی ہو، تب میں تصحیح کر دوں، یا تمھیں پسند نہیں آتا؟

اچھی بات ہے! اور یہ مطالعہ تمہارا کیسے چل رہا ہے، ہندوستان میں زیادہ جلدی سکھ رہے ہو نا؟ میں بھی اسلام آباد سکھنے آیا (اور دادی دیکھنی) لیکن میرا مس‏ئلہ یہ ہے کہ میں پنجابی اور اردو دونوں سکر رہا ہوں۔

صاف تو ہے اسلام آباد، لیکن کافی خاموش بھی ہے، مجھے لہور زیادہ پسند ہے کیونکہ وہاں پے زیادہ سرگرمی اور پارٹی شارٹی ہے۔ کراچی اور لہور والے کہتے ہیں کہ اسلام آباد "مردہ" شہر ہے۔ اسلام آباد میں میرے بہت زیادہ رشتا دار بھی نہیں ہیں، بس دادی ہیں (پھوپھی اور جاجا بھی ہیں لیکن وہ خد رکھتے ہیں)، باقی لہور، انگلینڈ، نیو یورک، حافظ آباد اور حافظ آباد ضلعے کے "پنڈ" میں رہتے ہیں۔

تو اور بتا‏ؤ، ہیدر آباد میں تیلگو بہی بولی جاتی ہی نا؟ ہیں لوگ جس کو اردو نہیں آتی ہے یا زیادہ پسند نیہں ہے؟ ہر زبان کی برادری ("کومیونٹی") کے بیج رشتہ کیسے ہے؟

اور ہاں جی، میری غلطیں زرور ٹھیک کرو! ورنہ میں کیسے سکھوں گا؟ صرف یہ ہے مسئلہ - میں نے ابھی کافی لمبا بوسٹ لکھ دیا اور میں آپ کو زیادہ کام کرنا نیہں چاہتا۔ ٹھیک کرو بس جس لیے تمہارے باس وقص۔
ماں بولی = قومی بولی

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2014-12-26, 7:29

Saim wrote:
اچھی بات ہے! اور یہ مطالعہ تمہارا کیسے چل رہا ہے، ہندوستان میں زیادہ جلدی سیکھ رہے ہو نا؟ میں بھی اسلام آباد سیکھنے آیا (اور دادی دیکھنی) لیکن میرا مس‏ئلہ یہ ہے کہ میں پنجابی اور اردو دونوں سیکھ رہا ہوں۔

صاف تو ہے اسلام آباد، لیکن کافی خاموش بھی ہے، مجھے لاہور زیادہ پسند ہے کیونکہ وہاں پے زیادہ سرگرمی اور پارٹی شارٹی ہے۔ کراچی اور لاہور والے کہتے ہیں کہ اسلام آباد "مردہ" شہر ہے۔ اسلام آباد میں میرے بہت زیادہ رشتہ دار بھی نہیں ہیں، بس دادی ہیں (پھوپھی اور جاجا بھی ہیں لیکن وہ خود رکھتے ہیں)، باقی لاہور، انگلستان، نیو یورک، حافظ آباد اور حافظ آباد ضلعے کے "پنڈ" میں رہتے ہیں۔

تو اور بتا‏ؤ، حیدر آباد میں تیلگو بہی بولی جاتی ہے نا؟ ہیں لوگ جس کو اردو نہیں آتی ہے یا زیادہ پسند نیہں ہے؟ ہر زبان کی برادری ("کومیونٹی") کے بیج رشتہ کیسے ہے؟

اور ہاں جی، میری غلطیاں ضرور ٹھیک کرو! ورنہ میں کیسے سیکھوں گا؟ صرف یہ ہے مسئلہ - میں نے ابھی کافی لمبا بوسٹ لکھ دیا اور میں آپ کو زیادہ کام دینا نیہں چاہتا۔ ٹھیک کرو بس جس لیے تمہارے باس وقص۔
What do جاجا and خود رکهنا mean? And I know your last sentence is not correct but I'm not totally sure how to say it correctly, myself! I think I'd say something like میری پوسٹ کو بس اتنا ٹھیک کرو جتنا تمھیں فرصت ملتی ہے but that might be wrong too.

میرا مطالعہ فارسی اور اردو کی ادبی تاریخ کے بارے میں ہے، تو میں کچھ مخطوطات (جو سالار جنگ میوزیم میں ہیں) دیکھنے کے لئے حیدرآباد آیا ہوں. ہاں جی، یہاں بہت کچھ سیکھ رہا ہوں، اگر مجھے اور زیادہ رہنے کی فرصت ملتی تو میری اردو ضرور جلدی سے مضبوط ہو جاتی. ارے ہاں، مجھے اردو اور پنجابی ساتھ ساتھ سیکھنا مشکل لگتا ہے. میں تھوڑی سی پنجابی سمجھ سکتا ہوں، پنجابی موسیقی سننے کی وجہ سے (خاص طور پر پنجابی قوالی، غزلیں، اور صوفی موسیقی کی دوسری اقسام)، اور ایک روز پنجابی سیکھنا چاہونگا، لیکن فی الحال میں بس اردو سیکھنے میں کافی مصروف ہوں! تم اسلام آباد میں کیسے سیکھ رہے ہو؟ مطلب کلاس جا کے یا صرف دادی جی سے بات کر کے؟

ہاں، میں نے بھی اسلام آباد کے بارے میں یوں سنا ہے. پاکستان میں کیا شہریں گئے ہو؟ اور کونسا شہر تمھیں سب سے اچھا لگتا ہے؟

ہاں جی یہاں اردو کے علاوہ تیلگو بھی بولی جاتی ہے. ایک بہت دلچسپ زبان ہے. لگتا ہے کہ یہاں اکثر تیلگو لوگ دونو زبان جانتے ہیں. کبھی کبھی میں کسی سے اردو بولتا ہوں اور انگریزی میں جواب دیتا ہے، گویا وہ اردو سمجھ نہیں لیتا، لیکن اس کی وجہ یہ بھی ہو سکتی ہے کہ میری اردو اتنی اچھی نہیں ہے، یا اس کے کہ میں دیسی نہیں ہوں تو لوگ سوچتے ہیں کے مجھسے انگریزی میں بولنا چاہیے. واللہ اس دونوں زبان کے بیچ میں رشتے کے بارے میں مجھے زیادہ نہیں معلوم. محض اتنا معلوم ہے کہ حیدرآبادی اردو میں تیلگو کے الفاظ استعمال نہیں کیے جاتے، پر تیلگو میں (خاص طور پر "تلنگانے کی تیلگو" میں) بہت سے اردو الفاظ استعمال کیے جاتے ہیں. لیکن مجموعی طور پر مجھے لگتا ہے کہ یہاں، سارے ہندوستان کی طرح، اردو آہستہ آہستہ مر جا رہی ہے. چند روز پہلے حیدرآباد بوک فیئر گیا تھا. ہزاروں کی کتابوں میں اردو کتب کی تعداد بہت کم تھی؛ بیشتر انگریزی، تیلگو، ہندی، اور حتیٰ تامل اور ملیالم کی کتابیں بیچی جاتی تھیں. بڑی افسوس کی بات ہے.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2014-12-26, 15:01

شکریہ ایسکندر بھا‏ئی! مجھے لگتا ہے کہ میں تمہارے ساتھ پہت کچھ سیکھوں گا۔

eskandar wrote:What do جاجا and خود رکهنا mean? And I know your last sentence is not correct but I'm not totally sure how to say it correctly, myself! I think I'd say something like میری پوسٹ کو بس اتنا ٹھیک کرو جتنا تمھیں فرصت ملتی ہے but that might be wrong too.

"جاجا" کا کوئ بھی مطلب نہیں ہے، یہ لکھنے کی غلطی ہوئ - لصل میں ميں "چاچا" کہنا چاہتا تھا۔

جب میں نے "خود رکھتے ہیں" کہا، میرا مطلب تھا کہ وہ بہت ‌زیادہ ملنسار نہیں ہیں، یعنی "they keep to themselves"۔

میرا مطالعہ فارسی اور اردو کی ادبی تاریخ کے بارے میں ہے، تو میں کچھ مخطوطات (جو سالار جنگ میوزیم میں ہیں) دیکھنے کے لئے حیدرآباد آیا ہوں. ہاں جی، یہاں بہت کچھ سیکھ رہا ہوں، اگر مجھے اور زیادہ رہنے کی فرصت ملتی تو میری اردو ضرور جلدی سے مضبوط ہو جاتی. ارے ہاں، مجھے اردو اور پنجابی ساتھ ساتھ سیکھنا مشکل لگتا ہے. میں تھوڑی سی پنجابی سمجھ سکتا ہوں، پنجابی موسیقی سننے کی وجہ سے (خاص طور پر پنجابی قوالی، غزلیں، اور صوفی موسیقی کی دوسری اقسام)، اور ایک روز پنجابی سیکھنا چاہونگا، لیکن فی الحال میں بس اردو سیکھنے میں کافی مصروف ہوں! تم اسلام آباد میں کیسے سیکھ رہے ہو؟ مطلب کلاس جا کے یا صرف دادی جی سے بات کر کے؟

اچھا، تو تم یونیورسٹی میں تاریخ پڑھتے ہو؟

جب تم پنجابی سیکھنی شرو کروگے مجھے بتاؤ اور میں تمہاری مدد کروں گا۔ :) ابھی میری پنجابی زیادہ اچھی نہیں ہے، لیکن میں اب بہت سیکھ رہا ہوں اور مجھے لگتا ہے کہ ایک سال کے بعد میری پنجابی مضبوت ہو گی انشاء اللہ، کیوںکہ وہ میری اول ترجیح ہے۔

میں سیکھنے کے لئے دادی جی سے بات کرتا ہوں، ٹی وی دیکھتا ہوں، ‌خبر پڑھتا ہوں، ایک جھوٹا پنجابی سے ناول ہر راز ایک صفحہ پڑہتا ہوں، گانوں کی الفاظیں کا ترجومہ کرتا ہوں، میری سڑک کے سیکورٹی گارڈوں سے بات بھی کرتا ہوں ۔ سب کچھ۔

میں استاد ڈھونڈھ رہا تھا، اور مجھے ایک بھی ملا، لیکن وہ سرف ایک دفہ ایا اور کس کو نہیں پتا کیوں نہیں آتا۔ عجیب بات ہے۔

ہاں، میں نے بھی اسلام آباد کے بارے میں یوں سنا ہے. پاکستان میں کیا شہریں گئے ہو؟ اور کونسا شہر تمھیں سب سے اچھا لگتا ہے؟

میں نے بہت پاکستان کے شہر نہیں دیکھے - صرف اسلام آباد، راولپنڈی، لاہور، اور دو حافظ آباد ضلعے کے گا‏ؤں دیکھے ہیں۔ ان کے بیچ، مجھے لاہور زیادہ پسند ہے۔

ہاں جی یہاں اردو کے علاوہ تیلگو بھی بولی جاتی ہے. ایک بہت دلچسپ زبان ہے. لگتا ہے کہ یہاں اکثر تیلگو لوگ دونو زبان جانتے ہیں. کبھی کبھی میں کسی سے اردو بولتا ہوں اور انگریزی میں جواب دیتا ہے، گویا وہ اردو سمجھ نہیں لیتا، لیکن اس کی وجہ یہ بھی ہو سکتی ہے کہ میری اردو اتنی اچھی نہیں ہے، یا اس کے کہ میں دیسی نہیں ہوں تو لوگ سوچتے ہیں کے مجھسے انگریزی میں بولنا چاہیے. واللہ اس دونوں زبان کے بیچ میں رشتے کے بارے میں مجھے زیادہ نہیں معلوم. محض اتنا معلوم ہے کہ حیدرآبادی اردو میں تیلگو کے الفاظ استعمال نہیں کیے جاتے، پر تیلگو میں (خاص طور پر "تلنگانے کی تیلگو" میں) بہت سے اردو الفاظ استعمال کیے جاتے ہیں. لیکن مجموعی طور پر مجھے لگتا ہے کہ یہاں، سارے ہندوستان کی طرح، اردو آہستہ آہستہ مر جا رہی ہے. چند روز پہلے حیدرآباد بوک فیئر گیا تھا. ہزاروں کی کتابوں میں اردو کتب کی تعداد بہت کم تھی؛ بیشتر انگریزی، تیلگو، ہندی، اور حتیٰ تامل اور ملیالم کی کتابیں بیچی جاتی تھیں. بڑی افسوس کی بات ہے.

حیدر آبادی اردو بولنے والوں کو دیوناگری لکھنی پڑھنی آتی ہے نا؟ شاید وہ ہندی میں پڑھتے ہیں۔

پاکستان تو چلے جا‏ؤ، یہاں پے تقریبا سب کتابیں اردو یا انگریزی میں ہیں، مقامی زبانیں میں بہت کم کتابیں بیجی جاتی ہیں۔
ماں بولی = قومی بولی

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2014-12-26, 16:59

Saim wrote:
شکریہ اسکندر بھا‏ئی! مجھے لگتا ہے کہ میں تمہارے ساتھ پہت کچھ سیکھوں گا۔
اور میں بھی ضرور تم سے بہت کچھ سیکهونگا!

"جاجا" کا کوئی بھی مطلب نہیں ہے، یہ لکھنے کی غلطی ہوئی - اصل میں ميں "چاچا" کہنا چاہتا تھا۔

جب میں نے "خود رکھتے ہیں" کہا، میرا مطلب یہ تھا کہ وہ بہت ‌زیادہ ملنسار نہیں ہیں، یعنی "they keep to themselves"۔
اچھا میں نے اندازہ لگایا تھا کہ تمہارا مطلب "چاچا" ہو پر میں نے سوچا کہ شاید "جاجا" ایک دوسری چیز ہوتی.

مجھے بھی نہیں معلوم کہ اردو میں "they keep to themselves" کیسے کہا جاتا ہے.
اچھا، تو تم یونیورسٹی میں تاریخ پڑھتے ہو؟
جامعہ میں تقابلی ادب (Comparative Literature) پڑھتا ہوں، مگر میری (dissertation) ادبی تاریخ اور اس کی نگارش کے بارے میں ہے.

جب تم پنجابی سیکھنی شروع کروگے مجھے بتاؤ اور میں تمہاری مدد کروں گا۔ :) ابھی میری پنجابی زیادہ اچھی نہیں ہے، لیکن میں اب بہت سیکھ رہا ہوں اور مجھے لگتا ہے کہ ایک سال کے بعد میری پنجابی مضبوط ہو گی انشاء اللہ، کیوںکہ وہ میری اول ترجیح ہے۔
شکریہ بھائی، ضرور بتا دونگا! لیکن مجھے نہیں پتہ کہ کب شروع کر سکونگا...
میں استاد ڈھونڈھ رہا تھا، اور مجھے ایک بھی ملا، لیکن وہ صرف ایک دفعہ ایا اور کس کو نہیں پتا کیوں نہیں آتا۔ عجیب بات ہے۔
صحیح بات؟ ہاں، بہت عجیب ہے. امید ہے ایک دوسرا استاد تمھیں ملےگا!

میں نے بہت پاکستان کے شہر نہیں دیکھے - صرف اسلام آباد، راولپنڈی، لاہور، اور دو حافظ آباد ضلعے کے گا‏ؤں دیکھے ہیں۔ ان کے بیچ، مجھے لاہور زیادہ پسند ہے۔
اچھا، میں ہمیشہ سنتا ہوں کہ لاہور بےحد خوبصورت شہر ہے. تمھیں گاؤں کیسے لگے؟

حیدر آبادی اردو بولنے والوں کو دیوناگری لکھنی پڑھنی آتی ہے نا؟ شاید وہ ہندی میں پڑھتے ہیں۔

پاکستان تو چلے جا‏ؤ، یہاں پے تقریبا سب کتابیں اردو یا انگریزی میں ہیں، مقامی زبانیں میں بہت کم کتابیں بیچی جاتی ہیں۔
جی، اگر کچھ پڑھتے ہیں تو بے شک ہندی یا انگریزی میں پڑھتے ہیں. لیکن میرے خیال سے یہ پھر بھی افسوس کی بات ہے کہ یہاں کسی اردو نہیں پڑھتا...

اگر ایک روز مجھے فرصت ملے تو ضرور پاکستان جاؤنگا اور اتنی کتابیں خرید لونگا کہ غریب بن جاؤنگا! اور ہاں وہ بھی افسوس کی بات ہے کہ پاکستان میں مقامی زبانوں کی توجہ دی نہیں جاتی. ویسے اسلام آباد میں زیادہ تر پنجابی بولی جاتی ہے یا اردو؟

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2015-01-05, 20:36

French

Pimsleur French I: Lesson 8/30 (was: 6/30)

Time to get a bit more serious with French. I had my first day of an intensive two-week French course today. The course is supposed to get us to B1 by January 15 ( :!: ). I was glad to be able to join the A2 group despite the fact that most people in it seem to have studied French formally before whereas I've never had a lesson. I didn't have much trouble speaking and writing French in class today, or understanding the instructor (who spoke only French), but when we listened to an audio recording my comprehension was really weak. I think listening comprehension is my weakest skill in French; anyone have recommendations for how to improve this?

Edit: The fun thing about my French class is since it's full of foreigners, I also got to practice my Arabic and Spanish today, speaking with the other students. :D

Urdu

Feeling pretty good about my Urdu lately. I spent the last two weeks in Hyderabad, speaking Hindi/Urdu daily and spending almost every day reading Urdu texts in the library for hours. I don't really need a dictionary to read (I come across unfamiliar words but can figure them out from the context) which is awesome, though I'm sure I'd understand less and need the dictionary more if I were reading outside of my field of specialization. For extra practice I rewatched Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani and looked up unfamiliar words used in some of the songs. I'd planned to watch more movies, but I really don't have the patience as most Hindi films are 2.5-3+ hours and I'm not that into movies to begin with. I also watched some videos from Javed Ahmad Ghamidi's Facebook page. He a bit quicky in some of them and it can sometimes be hard to understand everything. I'd like to understand spoken Urdu better (I have a pretty good understanding, but sometimes get lost when things move too quickly) now that I've developed a really strong foundation in reading. So I'll try to make an effort to sit through some more movies when I find the time, and in the meantime keep watching shorter clips and interviews on Facebook.

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2015-01-06, 1:35

I loved Yeh Jawani hai dewaani! I thought Deepika gave an awesome performance. And the music was so nice.
अहिंसा
TAC 2015:  (hi) (ja) (ar) (fr)
Loves: (bn) (ta) (id) (tr) (ur)

Return to “Total Annihilation Challenge”