[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
TAC 2015 - IpseDixit (pt, lld, fr, he, ru) - UniLang

TAC 2015 - IpseDixit (pt, lld, fr, he, ru)

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators: Car, Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, ''', Global Moderators

IpseDixit

TAC 2015 - IpseDixit (pt, lld, fr, he, ru)

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-12-03, 17:36

I'm opening a new thread for the 2015 TAC, even though there is still one month before the end of this year, because my goals have quite drastically changed from those of 2014.

I've decided to focus on just three languages.

(pt) European Portuguese.
Irregular verbs and a limited vocabulary are my Achilles' heel and are the biggest obstacle to me speaking Portuguese, so I'm going to focus mainly on these two things. But I'll also continue studying grammar as I still have several things that I don't know.
I want to finish the Assimil course (I'm roughly at 1/4 of it) but for now I need to review old lessons because I haven't done Assimil for a while and I need to consolidate what I've already studied. I'm also looking for a more traditional grammar book (I only have an essential grammar which is not that bad but it's a bit too... essential) and an exercise book, if anybody can suggest me some good books, I'll be glad about it.

(he) Modern Hebrew.
I can compose simple sentences in it, but for more complex stuff I always need a dictionary and a verb conjugator, so my goal will be to build up a better vocabulary and have a better understanding and knowledge of the Hebrew verbal system (which is still quite obscure to me). I also need to improve my reading skills (of course without niqqud) which are quite shabby. Also in this case I have the Assimil course and I've done 1/5 of it more or less. I also have a bunch of other books but feel free to give me new titles because I'm not fully satisfied with what I have.

(ru) Russian.
Well, I have to start this language pretty much from scratch. I took a course for beginners a year ago but when it ended, I never continued this language by myself because I was a bit intimidated by it, but now I've finally taken the courage to try it. I know the alphabet and remember a few other things like the personal subject pronouns but that's all. Even for Russian, I'm going to use... Assimil :P but suggestions about good books are appreciated (I'm a bit monotonous, I know :lol:).
Last edited by IpseDixit on 2015-02-20, 20:22, edited 3 times in total.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Re: TAC 2015 - IpseDixit (português, עברית, Русский)

Postby Luís » 2014-12-04, 9:31

You seem to really like Assimil... :P

Are you using the Italian version for Portuguese?

Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-12-04, 10:10

Luís wrote:You seem to really like Assimil... :P

Yes, I really like it, except for its price. :lol:

Luís wrote:Are you using the Italian version for Portuguese?

Yep.

dEhiN
Language Forum Moderator

Postby dEhiN » 2014-12-04, 19:23

You should chat with Vijay in Portuguese? He's also learning EP.
Je veux parler toutes les langues dans le monde!

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-12-10, 15:11

I've decided to change a bit my study method. So far, I've always been used to studying grammar units in the order presented by the book, furthermore I've never been used to setting precise short-term goals, usually I would simply study as much as I could.

My new method will consist of precise short-term goals that I'll try to set on a regular basis and moreover I won't try to follow the order of the book, but I'll decide for myself what to study.

[The only book I'll follow linearly is Assimil.]

What do you think of that?

I have to admit I was inspired by księżycowy for this new method. :)

---

So here are my goals for December 22 (this week I won't be able to study much).

(pt)
    · Review the 1st conjugation group.
    · Review the object pronouns.
    · Study the hypothetical clauses.
    · Memorize the full conjugations of these irregular verbs: ser, estar, haver, ter, querer, poder.
    · Study when to use por and when para.
    · Do some listening.
    · Try to read an article (or something else) out loud.

(he)
    · Review pa'al.
    · Study pi'el.
    · Study some new prepositions.
    · Review the numbers.
    · Try to read a short text out loud.
    · Complete at least level 1 and 2 of these exercises.

(ru)

Very probably I won't do any Russian for now.

dEhiN
Language Forum Moderator

Postby dEhiN » 2014-12-10, 19:11

IpseDixit wrote:I've decided to change a bit my study method. So far, I've always been used to studying grammar units in the order presented by the book, furthermore I've never been used to setting precise short-term goals, usually I would simply study as much as I could.

My new method will consist of precise short-term goals that I'll try to set on a regular basis and moreover I won't try to follow the order of the book, but I'll decide for myself what to study.

[The only book I'll follow linearly is Assimil.]

What do you think of that?

I have to admit I was inspired by księżycowy for this new method. :)

Yeah I'm going to try doing the same thing. The difficulty for me in the past was continually creating/updating my goals. Especially since I would do weekly goals.

So here are my goals for December 22 (this week I won't be able to study much).

(pt)
    · Memorize the full conjugations of these irregular verbs: ser, estar, haver, ter, querer, poder.
    · Do some listening.

(he)
    · Review pa'al.
    · Study pi'el.
    · Review the numbers.

(ru)

Very probably I won't do any Russian for now.

Wow, that's all for a week where you won't be able to study much! I'd love to see how much you attempt to do when you have a lot of time to study! I would probably do like only two items on each list for a week.

PS. I love it when someone uses a new tag - well one that I've never used before. I assumed you could create lists on php boards, but have never used them in posts before. Good to know how to do it!

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-12-10, 20:05

Yeah I'm going to try doing the same thing. The difficulty for me in the past was continually creating/updating my goals. Especially since I would do weekly goals.

I see. In my case I think that scheduling what to study may actually help me out because I've always had the bad habit of binge studying :lol: but I would like to change that and become a more constant learner.

Wow, that's all for a week where you won't be able to study much! I'd love to see how much you attempt to do when you have a lot of time to study! I would probably do like only two items on each list for a week.

Wait, maybe I didn't explain myself very well, by this week I mean till this Sunday, but from Monday 15 to Sunday 22 I'll have much more free time to dedicate to my languages. That's why I didn't set a goal for the end of this week but for the next one.

PS. I love it when someone uses a new tag - well one that I've never used before. I assumed you could create lists on php boards, but have never used them in posts before. Good to know how to do it!

It's the first time I've used that. :)

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-12-10, 20:53

(pt)

I've found two newspapers which look quite interesting. Probably I'll take the article to read out loud from there.

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2014-12-11, 11:17

IpseDixit wrote:I have to admit I was inspired by księżycowy for this new method. :)

Glad you like my idea. :D
þūhte mē þæt ic gesāwe syllicre trēow on lyft lædan lēohte bewunden bēama beorhtost.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-12-13, 14:57

(pt) I've bought two grammar books that, at least at first glance, really look close to my ideal grammar book: coincise but exhaustive, with examples and exercises.

dEhiN
Language Forum Moderator

Postby dEhiN » 2014-12-14, 5:10

IpseDixit wrote: (pt) I've bought two grammar books that, at least at first glance, really look close to my ideal grammar book: coincise but exhaustive, with examples and exercises.

Interesting! Are they for EP? Do you know if there are equivalents for BP?

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-12-14, 11:07

Since it's not specified, I thought it was for both EP and BP. I hope I'm right lol.

Anyway, if you're considering the idea of buying them, keep in mind that it's all written in Portuguese (also the explanations).

Itikar

Postby Itikar » 2014-12-14, 13:39

(ru) Russian.
Well, I have to start this language pretty much from scratch. I took a course for beginners a year ago but when it ended, I never continued this language by myself because I was a bit intimidated by it, but now I've finally taken the courage to try it. I know the alphabet and remember a few other things like the personal subject pronouns but that's all. Even for Russian, I'm going to use... Assimil :P but suggestions about good books are appreciated (I'm a bit monotonous, I know :lol:).
Come ti dissi già, per me te tu ci hai troppa di sta lingua. Sí, ha delle difficoltà e parlarla con tutti i crismi richiede grande dedizione e impegno. Ma se le aspirazioni tue son ben piú umili ritengo che tu non abbia da temere alcunché.

Pertanto ti consiglio ancora una volta l'approccio che io medesimo ho seguito ottenendo risultati soddisfacenti. Inizia coll'Assimil per entrare nella lingua e, fattolo, affianca un testo piú tradizionale.
Hoepli ne ha parecchi tutti di ottima qualità e per vari livelli. All'inizio, semmai, evita di fiondarti su un libro della Dobrovol'skaja che è quello, seppur di qualità eccellente, un po' piú impegnativo.

Alla fin fine tuttavia ho notato che chi amava il latino (inteso come lingua in sé, non come è insegnato nelle scuole italiane) di solito non ha problemi col russo. Pertanto se ti piace usare le declinazioni e soffri le forme verbali composte, o ancora peggio tutta quella baraonda di articoletti e preposizioncine che ci s'ha noi, dovrebbe andarti tutto liscio come l'olio. A me mi sembrò di volare non appena ebbi cominciato a studiarlo. :P

E, ultimo consiglio, evita di farti spaventare! Se senti qualcuno dire che il russo è una lingua difficilissima e impossibile sappi che en tutte bischerate.
Fletto i muscoli e sono nel vuoto!
All corrections are welcome and appreciated.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2014-12-14, 17:38

Those are Portuguese books, so I'd say they probably focus more on EP. I'll have a look at them next time I visit a bookstore. I had no idea you could buy them in Italy that easily... :o
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-12-15, 18:27

Luís wrote:Those are Portuguese books, so I'd say they probably focus more on EP. I'll have a look at them next time I visit a bookstore.

Yeah, I think it teaches EP luckily :lol: because they only mention the estar a fazer form and say nothing about the form with the gerund.

I had no idea you could buy them in Italy that easily... :o

Here in Florence we have a book-store which is quite well-equipped with language learning materials. :)

@ Itikar: grazie per l'incoraggiamento. C'è anche da dire che nei mesi passati avevo anche molta altra carne al fuoco (ladino, francese, spagnolo) che adesso ho deciso di abbandonare e quindi spero di essere in grado di concentrarmi di più sul russo. Le declinazioni non mi hanno mai spaventato un granché, però quelle russe ancora non le conosco, comunque mi ricordo del libro che mi lincasti sulle declinazioni e penso che lo stamperò presto.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-12-16, 15:26

(pt) I haven't completed any of my goals yet, it's work in progress though ;). Furthermore, although it wasn't in my goals, I had the chance to study the difference between ser and estar more in depth, because it was the first topic presented in the new grammar book I bought. I've also done all the exercises related to this topic and I've made very few mistakes. :D

(he) Watching various stuff from YouTube. One of the last was this interview to Orit Marom of ASSAF, the Aid Organization for Refugees and Asylum Seekers in Israel. I don't necessarily agree with everything she says, though.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-12-17, 13:52

So, time to check what I've done so far.

= completed (or basically completed, just need to reread one or two things).
= work in progress

IpseDixit wrote: (pt)
    · Do some listening.

(he)
    · Review pa'al.
    · Study pi'el.
    · Review the numbers.

I think I need to harry up a little bit. :para:
In my defense, I have to say that I've also studied some things that were not in my goals. :)

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-12-18, 15:17

(pt) ( (pt-br)) I've found some interesting resources:

http://www.linguateca.pt/Diana/download ... isisk.html
http://hackingportuguese.com/
http://blogs.transparent.com/

I'm not sure what variant the first one teaches (still have to check it out).
The second one teaches BP, and the third one as well (but also teaches a lot of other languages).

(he) Found this series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOk4EmlaXIY

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-12-18, 21:13

IpseDixit wrote:I think I need to harry up a little bit. :para:
In my defense, I have to say that I've also studied some things that were not in my goals. :)

Well, and also, you had said that you wouldn't be able to study much this week, so I still think you did a reasonably good job. :)

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-12-18, 21:26

And there are still 3 days left. :)

Anyways I have to update my list:

IpseDixit wrote: (pt)
    · Do some listening.

(he)
    · Review pa'al.
    · Study pi'el.
    · Review the numbers.

I would also like to study when to use por and when para before going to bed.

Return to “Total Annihilation Challenge”