[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
TAC 2015 Meera (Hindi, Arabic, Japanese, French) - Page 2 - UniLang

TAC 2015 Meera (Hindi, Arabic, Japanese, French)

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators: Car, Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, ''', Global Moderators

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Re: TAC 2015 Meera (Hindi, Arabic, French)

Postby Meera » 2015-01-19, 17:18

księżycowy wrote:Living Language Japanese is a good textbook. I was using that a few years ago and loved its approach. All that audio support was a major plus. I hope you find it as helpful, Meera.

Yeah my mom got it for me for Christmas and I love it so far especially the audio! Almost every section has audio which is a huge plus. It's really fun to work through.
अहिंसा
TAC 2015:  (hi) (ja) (ar) (fr)
Loves: (bn) (ta) (id) (tr) (ur)

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Re: TAC 2015 Meera (Hindi, Arabic, French)

Postby księżycowy » 2015-01-19, 17:22

I'm glad! :D
þūhte mē þæt ic gesāwe syllicre trēow on lyft lædan lēohte bewunden bēama beorhtost.

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Re: TAC 2015 Meera (Hindi, Arabic, Japanese, French)

Postby Meera » 2015-01-21, 21:28

Update 1/21/2015

(hi) Did some memrise, did chapter 2 of intermediate Hindi. I read the dialogue and wrote down the vocabulary. The book is very easy so far, and I know most of the words and grammar points.Here are some of the words I learned for chapter 2:

सुविधा -convenience
मेज़पोश-tablecloth
x में लगे रहना -to be continually engrossed in X
फूलदान - vase of flowers
गुलदस्ता -bouquet of flowers

The book is good so far just very simple for an intermediate book. My TV is still broken so I'm missing all of my Hindi dramas. I have been using squid tv to watch TV in Hindi, I have mainly been watch NDTV, Doordarshan News and CNBC Awaaz. Maybe it's good my tv broke because I am starting to pick new words instead of the ones I'm used to hearing on the soaps :P CNBC Awaaz is particularly interesting.

(ar)Arabic class started yesterday. I had to order the Hans Wehr Arabic dictionary. Week 1 we are reviewing all the alphabet and all vocab from Alif Baa. I'm wondering if I should get head start on my homework for week 1.

(ja) Got up to chapter four in Living Language. I learned the words for counting people and the native Japanese numbers. Also did some fun math exercises in Japanese. I'm really bummed because I think my non-credit Japanese class is going to be canceled because they don't have enough people :cry: :cry: I have been listening to some Japanese radio too. Some of the stations I have been listening to are AnimeAMAZE an J1 radio. I'm thinking about starting Mango languages for Japanese too but I'm not sure if the course is good or not.

(fr) Been reviewing on duolingo. Waiting for my class to start.
अहिंसा

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2015-02-05, 7:01

(hi) Started chapter 3 in my intermediate Hindi book, did some readings and listenings, read some articles on Hindi wikipedia, listened to SBS Hindi podcasts but unforuently didn't get done as much as I hoped. Listened to some Urdu voice of America while I did homework.

(ar) I have until Febuary 8th to know everything in Chapter 1 of al-kitaab. I relarned the nisba ending and I had to write a short essay about Arabic names. I have been going over my new bocabulary everyday with flashcards and memrise. I completed all the exercises on the al-kitaab website so the only thing I have left to do is the quiz which i'm preparing for now. Today I listened to three hours of Kuwaiti Goverment Tv and a tv station from Dubai that I don't know the name of :P

(ja) Not much. Compleated Level 2 Unit 3 of Rosetta Stone and getting ready to start Unit four. Watched some anime and listened to a top 10 japanese song countdown podcast which was a lot of fun.

(fr) Watched two French in Action videos, reviewed some notes. Wasn't very productive though.
अहिंसा

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2015-02-09, 18:49

(ar) This Arabic class is really picking up the pace after the first three weeks. The first week was a review and then we spent two weeks on each unit until unit six in al-kitaab. In the fall we finish al-kitaab and move on to part two of Al-Kitaab. (Yeah it's going to take forever :P). I think I did well in my quiz, I only had to record myself saying what Maha said in the first video, I just had to change it my name and nationality. Today we learned the pronouns, the possessives and the present tense conjugations in MSA. We also learned the vocabulary to Unit 2 and did the vocabulary fill in the blanks in the book and then watched the Maha video for this unit in MSA and Egyptian, and we watched Nasreen for Levantine. We also watched a cultural video about women working in Egypt which women were interviewed in the Egyptian dialect with English subs. It was very interesting and a fun class. I also have been watching a Kuwaiti TV channel I found online and Al-Aan TV which squid tv has listed under UAE.

(hi) Read some articles in Hindi, listened to the SBS podcasts and worked up to chapter four in the intermediate Hindi book (which kind of seems more like an advanced begginer book but it is still a great book with tons of practice!). I have been listening to VOA in Urdu also but I haven't focused on reading Urdu. Watched Jamai Raja and Everest.

(ja) Started Unit 3 of Level 2 on Rosetta Stone and did another chapter in the Japanese living language. Watched some Anime.

I'm wanderlusting very badly at the moment for Bengali and Persian. I'm trying not to study them at the moment but it's very hard not too. :(
अहिंसा

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2015-02-10, 6:12

(fr) This isn't really a proper update, but I was browsing squid tv today and i am so excited because I found this: http://www.meteomedia.com/videos/galeri ... -forecasts
I feel like such a nerd because I seriously watch the weather channel constantly and I never found any wather videos in another language before. This like made my whole day! :mrgreen:
अहिंसा

dEhiN
Language Forum Moderator

Postby dEhiN » 2015-02-11, 3:39

Meera wrote: (ja)...I have been listening to some Japanese radio too. Some of the stations I have been listening to are AnimeAMAZE an J1 radio.

Where have you been listening to these stations? I couldn't find much on TuneIn. Well I'm sure there are, but it's hard to know what stations are good or not.

Meera wrote: (ja)...I'm thinking about starting Mango languages for Japanese too but I'm not sure if the course is good or not.

As for Mango, if you do it, let me know how it is. I started it but only did the first lesson. I think it uses ひらがなとカタカナ but maybe eventually it uses kanji.

Meera wrote: (ja) Started Unit 3 of Level 2 on Rosetta Stone and did another chapter in the Japanese living language. Watched some Anime.

How is the RS course for Japanese? I still have my RS courses and every time I see you mention RS I think about starting it again. Do you find it's good for learning/practicing vocab at least?

Meera wrote:I'm wanderlusting very badly at the moment for Bengali and Persian. I'm trying not to study them at the moment but it's very hard not too. :(

You could maybe satisfy some of your wanderlust by listening to radio/music in Bengali and/or Persian. For the past 2 weeks or so I've been listening to a Romanian pop radio station. They play a mix of English, Romanian, and sometimes Spanish or French songs. I have no plans to learn Romanian any time soon, but even just hearing songs in it seem to satisfy the wanderlust I have for it. (It may also be keeping the lust alive until I'm ready to do something more in it; who knows?)
Je veux parler toutes les langues dans le monde!

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2015-02-11, 6:27

Hey David! I have been listening to them mostly on ITunes internet radio and on an some Japanese radio apps on my Ipod. There are tons of Jpop/anime on ITunes Internet radio. This app is my favorite:

http://appcrawlr.com/ios/japan-radio-wi ... -recording
It has a good selection of anime and Jpop radios. It can be glitchy though. I also like this one:
http://appcrawlr.com/ios/asiradio This one has radio from all over Asia you just select the languages you want!
http://appcrawlr.com/ios/japan-radio this one is good too!

Also here are some links to Japanese stations I have been listening too:

Anime
http://www.animeclassicsradio.moe/ or on tunein: http://tunein.com/radio/Anime-Classics- ... e-s206594/
http://tunein.com/radio/AnimeAMAZE-s111618/
http://tunein.com/radio/AnimeNfo-Radio-s54119/
http://tunein.com/radio/Japanimradio--- ... l-s191446/

JPOP
http://en.j1fm.com/
I LOVE this station, sometimes it sucks because they cut off free listeners but that has only happened once to me. This station even takes requests and tells you the current time in Japan and current weather.
http://tunein.com/radio/RadioTunes-Jpop-s127093/
http://tunein.com/radio/J-Wave-813-s9520/ (Jpop, English pop and talk!)
http://tunein.com/radio/JPHiP-Radio-s54003/
This station: http://www.streamlicensing.com/stations ... Radio.html plays all traditional Japanese music. It is very interesting
If you want more stations I’d be happy to give you more :D at the moment I am trying to look for more talk radio in Japanese most seem to be Jpop and Anime. I hope you like these stations!
अहिंसा

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2015-02-11, 6:53

Sorry David I am going to answer the other question in a double post because the other post was getting long. I have tried the first lesson of Japanese in mango and I really like it so far. So far though it is only using Kana. But it is much better than some other courses I've used on Mango.

I really like Japanese Rosetta Stone, it wouldn't be my only method but it is helping a lot with remembering Kanji! I haven’t really studied much kanji and I was surprised how many I can recognize just by using RS. The RS for Japanese comes with four options, romaji, kana. kanji and furigana. I started it with Kana only and as I progressed I started using furigana. Now I will do a lesson first with furigana and redo it only with kanji. It did help me remember vocabulary too. In my opinion it is a great supplement to Genki and other Japanese texts. As long as you get the RS free I would take advantage of it because it doesn't hurt especially with a hard language like Japanese. I like the fact it is constant audio and repetitiveness. The speaking exercises have helped my pronunciation, because I can hear a slight difference. It helped me memorize the basic particles too and the -te verbs. I really like it and I think the Japanese voices are great in it. In general though I do like RS, I finished the Hindi RS and it improved my reading and vocabulary.

haha yes I am doing that and I think it is helping to keep it away. I actually hid some of my Bengali books in another room so I don’t have the temptation: P And Romanian is very cool. It will be easy to learn after knowing French or Spanish too.
अहिंसा

dEhiN
Language Forum Moderator

Postby dEhiN » 2015-02-14, 19:30

どうもありがとうメーラちゃん!

I think I'll eventually go back to using RS. But for now, I have a hard enough time juggling other resources I've started. I still think I should try and finish a particular resource from start to end before I add another one in the mix.

As for Romanian, yeah I love how it sounds! Plus since the station I listen to plays some Spanish and French songs, I get to practice listening to them! (On a side note, even though I know more French vocabulary than Spanish, I feel like I can pick out words easier in the Spanish songs than the French ones!) But if I ever actually study Romanian, even if I were to do it after becoming fluent in French, Spanish, and Portuguese, that may not help as much. There seems to be a big difference between pronunciation and writing! And since a lot of vocab is slavic in root, knowing romance forms may not be helpful.

By the way I'm curious - how do you decide what to do in Hindi and Japanese (and possibly French) to keep progressing? That is, I'm trying to do weekly goals. And many others on here do as well, including writing in on their TAC. But I've never seen you write out weekly goals for the languages you're not taking in college. Yet every so often you do an update of what you've done. Do you plan out what to do? Or do you plan out that certain times of the week will be for Hindi, etc., and then during that time you just do what you feel like in the moment? Or what's your process?
Je veux parler toutes les langues dans le monde!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-02-14, 19:59

dEhiN wrote:どうもありがとうメーラちゃん!

Hmm...don't you mean ミーラちゃん? :)

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2015-02-14, 21:08

dEhiN wrote:どうもありがとうメーラちゃん!

I think I'll eventually go back to using RS. But for now, I have a hard enough time juggling other resources I've started. I still think I should try and finish a particular resource from start to end before I add another one in the mix.

By the way I'm curious - how do you decide what to do in Hindi and Japanese (and possibly French) to keep progressing? That is, I'm trying to do weekly goals. And many others on here do as well, including writing in on their TAC. But I've never seen you write out weekly goals for the languages you're not taking in college. Yet every so often you do an update of what you've done. Do you plan out what to do? Or do you plan out that certain times of the week will be for Hindi, etc., and then during that time you just do what you feel like in the moment? Or what's your process?

David, I think using two sources or more is better because if something doesn't make sense in one resource it will make sense in another. For example I recently got Living Language Japanese and many of the explanations in there made Genki clearer. Or for example if you are only using Genki it concentrates way more on grammar than RS, but RS focuses way more on vocabulary. Also not all the words in Genki have audio but RS is ALL audio. (I'm not trying to advertise RS here, I'm just using an example). I'll use a second example for Hindi, learning it I used the Teach Yourself a lot but I also needed to use the Hindi Script Book, Elementary Hindi and dictionaries at the same time. A long time ago (when livemocha had its own format) I used live mocha along with the TY. Now I even use grammars and readers at the same time. And in my Arabic class I'm we have to use other sources, Al-Kitaab, memrise, Madinah Arabic. You might want to focus on going through one textbook but it is very helpful to use other resources on the side because you can't get everything one source, plus it might get boring just using one source.

It's hard to say, but basically for all of them I'm just studying daily and following the courses structure. I do plan rigorously and know what I'm going to do that day in each of them. I useully plan out the schedule sometime in the beginning of the week. I have a planner that I follow and I write down the page numbers I have done that day and I will write down the practice I need to do as "homework". For example I will write under Monday : do Japanese RS level 2 Speaking or something like that. I also keep binders for each of the languages I'currently doing and put internet, news articles, handouts, song lyrics and vocabulary lists in each. I keep a notebook for each language too. In Hindi I'm following an Intermediate Hindi book along with a couple of readers. I'm using Usha Jain's books too. Also listening to it constantly and writing down words I might not know and then making flashcards. I feel it is progressing because when I go back and listen to it I actively remember the words and what they mean without looking them up. Japanese, is small progress but each day my readings are slowly getting better and I can put together some simple sentences now. Which might not be huge progress but it's something. When I am going through them I will mark down the progress I made like how many hours, how many pages, how much authentic material I used etc.
अहिंसा

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2015-02-23, 18:37

(hi) I did something different this week and picked up my Colloquial Hindi book and just started reading through it. It is a really easy book I think even for beginners but I had fun redoing all the exercises. I have also been listening to a lot of VOA Urdu, BBC Hindi and some other Hindi news channels. I think I need a break from Bollywood and Hindi soaps for a while because I am getting extremely tired of them (I can't believe I'm saying this). I'm going to be home for a week after Tuesday so I'll probably just watch Bollywood films all day.

(ar) Did second Unit Quiz. That's about it. Have to memorize the vocabulary.

(ja) Every Friday or Saturday night there is a radio station called AnimeAmaze that does a live show. The announcer talks in English but gives the names of the songs he plays and a lot are new Japanese artists and new anime soundtracks! He also takes requests! It is pretty cool because it is getting me familiar with Japanese music. This Saturday, I heard a new singer named Megumi Wata and her songs are amazing.

(fr)French class has started! It was a lot of fun, the entire lecture was in French. I have some HW for it which I might put on here. Oh also I don't where to put this but it pissed me off so much. I have friend who studied like two semesters of French so she BBMed when my class was over in French. I replied to her in French and she wasn't really saying difficult things. So we talked for a while and then in english she goes "google translate must be a godsent for you" and I replied I wasn't using it because I'm on my phone and responded "yeah okay whatever if you say so". I don't know why it pissed me off so much, maybe because I just spent three hours working my butt off in a French lecture. But I would seriously never say that to someone. It's pretty obvious I wasn't using it anyway because my French is poor but still. Sorry my rant is over. :lol:
अहिंसा

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2015-02-28, 20:42

Dealing with these wisdom teeth has been horrible. With that said, I have did do some language work.

(hi)/ (ur) I'm really happy with the amount of Hindi I have done this week. I was in bed most of Tuesday and Wednesday and just watched a bunch of Hindi television. I watched a variety of different things from movies to ABP news. I watched movie called creature without subs which was unintentionally hilarious. I had pain medicine in me which probably even made it more hilarious. I will say though it was great seeing the Hindi film industry try something different. I also watched a ton of Hindi and Urdu news. Today I worked two hours reviewing my grammar in the Hindi an essential grammar and made up my own exercises with them. I have become very interested in Awadhi for some reason so I started reading some articles (in Hindi) about Awadhi and it is just really interesting. I also listened to some poetry in Awadhi on youtube. Listened to SBS in both Hindi and Urdu. Listened to VOA Urdu.

(ja) Did some podcast lessons from Japanese Pod 101. Been thinking of buying the second Genki. I just really love the first one. I reviewed Vocabulary from all the chapters and did some review on the dialogs. Also started level 3 on Rosetta Stone. Started watching Pyscho Pass and it seems pretty good so far.

(ar) Finished Chapter 3 in Al-kitaab and did the online homework for it. Also found a great channel on youtube that explains the Al-Kitaab grammar for each unit. I still have to do the speaking exercises which I haven't done yet. Had to learn all the family members and the feminine sound plurals.

(fr) Had to write an essay about my ancestors in French, haven't got my grade back yet. :P
अहिंसा

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2015-02-28, 23:02

Not to interrupt the language talk, but you and I seem to have similar taste anime wise. :lol:

I'll also add a personal endorsement for Genki 2 (though it sounds like you'll get it anyway). I plan on using Genki after I'm done with Assimil. :wink:
þūhte mē þæt ic gesāwe syllicre trēow on lyft lædan lēohte bewunden bēama beorhtost.

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2015-03-01, 8:05

haha did you watch Pyscho Pass too?
अहिंसा

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2015-03-01, 13:53

Sure do! :mrgreen:

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2015-03-02, 5:09

Its awesome so far Im loving it. :mrgreen:
अहिंसा

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2015-03-02, 5:25

So doulingo is adding Turkish very soon and I am in a dilema if I should drop French and add Turkish or if I should just randomly put Turkish updates when I feel like doing it :para: I might fall back in love with Turkish :oops:
अहिंसा

Return to “Total Annihilation Challenge”