[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
TAC 2015 Trapy- Romanian - UniLang

TAC 2015 Trapy- Romanian

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators: Car, Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, ''', Global Moderators

Trapy

TAC 2015 Trapy- Romanian

Postby Trapy » 2015-01-06, 3:03

Ahhhhh..... Let's try this TAC on easy mode. Easy? Well... I have a tendency to pick an interesting exotic language, and that means hitting walls, and that means giving up. Examples:

Horray I can tell time and buy train tickets in Finnish! Wait, what the hell is that 70 letter long word?
I can hold a basic conversation in Japanese! Wait, I just horribly offended you via honor system????
Ainu is awesome! Oh, nobody speaks it...
Ah, Serbian my love... You are waiting but not forgotten...

So, back to basics. My French is rustier than the metal bolts on an abandoned farm in the campagne, but I'm slowly getting it back while trying to raise my daughter and son to be semi bilingual. I'm not too shabby in Spanish and I understand Italian, Catalan and Portuguese to an extant, so..... Romance languages.... Dalmatian is dead, Istriot is too Italian for me, Occitan and Catalan too french, Portuguese is just... Well, I'm not a big fan of its pronounciation, sorry. What else? Romansh... Hum, too small. Galician looks cool, Asturian, is that a thing? Hmm... Wait, I had a long dead dream of going to Constance and seeing Poenari castle in Transylvania, kitschy Dracula stuff at Bran castle, and the ruins in Varna! Wait varna is Bulgaria. But it's kinda nearby! Plus, Romanian is just exotic enough to keep me interested but it looks rooted grammatically like other Romance languages.... So... Easy mode. Not that any language is easy, but it has a lot of speakers, is the only real eastern Romance language of any size (or at all?), and it's close enough to not reinvent the wheel but far enough to keep my interests. Also vampires.

So, I will have a delayed start... I bought colloquial Romanian but it's currently on another continent. I'll be serious in mid Feb when I can get my hands on it, so a slow start to... Romanesca ?? Will try for at least an hour of study a Saturday and a word a day. I had a good thing going with humgarian for a while but I tried to cram toouchh at a time and then space too far apart- when I have time = I never had time. SO. Let's see if I fail another TAC before the end of January :D

Starting knowledge:
Buona zwerva..?????

Goals locked:
Cannot introduced self with greetings and goodbyes
Cannot describe profession / nationality
Cannot tell time
Cannot navigate a city with directions
Cannot order food
Cannot hold a basic conversation
Cannot book hotel room

---stretch goals in no order---
Read news paper, understand general content
Produce a paragraph of text that isn't boring
Record 2 minutes of speech that is intelligible
Record 5 minutes if video free of major grammatical or phoenetic mistakes of me playing with my kids.

---vocabulary bonuses---
Extended Food / Drinks
Playground games and equipment
Office environment
Extended travel (airline, train, hotel, bus)
Political news

.... Ooooo, I forgot I like having goals, because then I have something to reach to XD. So I will start this weekend, but in earnest towards the end of February with ... Romanesca??
"and now every toilet will burn to ashes!""

Trapy

Re: TAC 2015 Trapy- Romanian

Postby Trapy » 2015-01-06, 3:17

Day 0- limba română. The limba looks redundant, like français and langue français , but until I hear otherwise, I will leave it in.

dEhiN
Language Forum Moderator

Postby dEhiN » 2015-01-06, 3:29

Trapy wrote:Day 0- limba română. The limba looks redundant, like français and langue français , but until I hear otherwise, I will leave it in.

Not sure but I know some languages (ie, Indonesian and Tagalog :D) you need to add limba or the equivalent of 'language'.

Anyway good luck with your goals! I'm so jelly (haha, I probably should change that to jealous, but it's like the most recent slang I've heard and I like it!) since I'm slowly developing a love affair for Romanian. But right now I'm only listening to music in it. Speaking of which, if you want I can share 2 Youtube playlists - one I created, and one that Youtube created. Of course it depends on how you learn, but I find music helps me get used to the sounds - even though singing a language isn't the same as speaking it.
Je veux parler toutes les langues dans le monde!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-01-06, 3:46

You don't need to do that in Romanian. You can just say "român."

Trapy

Postby Trapy » 2015-01-06, 4:06

Dehin- yes please! When I was learning Chinese, I was pronouncing 我 wo^3 like... Woah. After several months, someone finally pronounced it for me, more like wawh. It's the word for I so... I was waaaaY of the mark for a long time. The only romanian I've heard, really, was that old miah hee miah hoo /. Nuuma nuuma yeah song (before it became a meme), on repeat. For weeks. I still know most of it by heart. playlists would be cool : D .

Vijayjohn- mulțumiri ! I am going in rather blind, so even little things like that are vital to avoid mistakes like above with 我。better to know now than develop bad habits.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-01-06, 4:10

Român - Romanian man
Româncă - Romanian women
Română - Romanian (the language)

Just saying ...
Hungarian (hu) Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára. _______German (de) Wo ein Wille ist, da ist auch ein Weg.
English (en) Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. __Spanish (es) No hay ceguera peor que no querer mirar.
Romanian (ro) Nu întinde arcul până nu este bine aşezată săgeata.

dEhiN
Language Forum Moderator

Postby dEhiN » 2015-01-06, 5:01

Levike wrote:Român - Romanian man
Româncă - Romanian women
Română - Romanian (the language)

Just saying ...

There's no one way to say "a Romanian person"?

Trapy wrote:Dehin- yes please! When I was learning Chinese, I was pronouncing 我 wo^3 like... Woah. After several months, someone finally pronounced it for me, more like wawh. It's the word for I so... I was waaaaY of the mark for a long time. The only romanian I've heard, really, was that old miah hee miah hoo /. Nuuma nuuma yeah song (before it became a meme), on repeat. For weeks. I still know most of it by heart. playlists would be cool : D .

Yeah I recently discovered Dragostea din tei and O-Zone so naturally I found them on Spotify and added them to my music!

Anyway here is my own mix: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxLHzu24sxtL-1_oZPpXL9oAzcqJLGkcq

And the Youtube mix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KObSQMrAkeg&list=RDKObSQMrAkeg

I'm sure a lot of the songs are love songs; a lot of them seem to have been published under "Cat Music", and the videos look like love-song themes. But when you don't know what the lyrics say, as long as you like the music, does it really matter? :P

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-01-06, 5:05

dEhiN wrote:
Româncă - Romanian women
You use the male one then.
Hungarian (hu) Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára. _______German (de) Wo ein Wille ist, da ist auch ein Weg.
English (en) Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. __Spanish (es) No hay ceguera peor que no querer mirar.

dEhiN
Language Forum Moderator

Postby dEhiN » 2015-01-06, 5:16

Levike wrote:
dEhiN wrote:
Româncă - Romanian women
You use the male one then.

Mulţumesc!

Actually, since Trapy wrote mulţumiri, what's the difference in the two? According to WordReference mulţumesc is the informal interjection, and mulţumiri seems to be used for expressing gratitude but in sentences like "she thanked him for the flowers", or "send her my thanks". So is mulţumesc the way of directly thanking someone?

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-01-06, 5:32

Ask that in the Romanian sub-forum, I think we've spammed this thread enough. :wink:

Trapy

Postby Trapy » 2015-01-06, 19:11

Spam? It's activity on the forum, always a good thing these days :D . But Debian If you have not I will ask- mulțumiri was just a google translate here

Trapy

Postby Trapy » 2015-01-06, 19:11

Spam? It's activity on the forum, always a good thing these days :D . But Debian If you have not I will ask- mulțumiri was just a google translate here

dEhiN
Language Forum Moderator

Postby dEhiN » 2015-01-06, 19:16

Trapy wrote:Spam? It's activity on the forum, always a good thing these days :D . But Debian If you have not I will ask- mulțumiri was just a google translate here

Debian? Do you mean dEhiN? :D And I actually ended up asking on the Romanian forum. Levike answered me here.

PS. I'm such a computer nerd as well! I saw Debian and the first thing I thought of was the Linux distro :shock: :P .

Trapy

Postby Trapy » 2015-01-07, 1:09

Darn you autocorrect!!!! To celebrate I had to look up the word for failure: Eșec !!!! And yes I went there to see what's up.

dEhiN
Language Forum Moderator

Postby dEhiN » 2015-01-07, 18:17

Trapy wrote:Darn you autocorrect!!!! To celebrate I had to look up the word for failure: Eșec !!!! And yes I went there to see what's up.

Is the ș pronounced as "sh"? Haha, I probably should stop learning Romanian second-hand through your TAC :D. But hey, nothing like teaching someone else the little you know to solidify it, right? (At least, that's my justification for my laziness - I'm helping you :P)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-01-07, 19:40

dEhiN wrote:Is the ș pronounced as "sh"?

Yes.

Trapy

Postby Trapy » 2015-01-08, 23:57

Bună ziua. Mă chiamă Trapy. Eu sunt un tată.

Eu sunt
Tu esțe. Edit- esți
El este
Ea este
Noi suntem
Voi suntesțe. Edit- sunteți
Ei sunt
Ele sunt.

La revedere!

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-01-09, 0:02

Mă cheamă Trapy.

Asta nu e italiană. / This is not Italian. :P

Trapy

Postby Trapy » 2015-01-09, 0:21

!!! Scuze și mulțumesc! Sorry and thank you!

I'm having flashbacks to when I travelled around Italy. I am still shocked how close this sounds to Italian. I was expecting, more polish or mumbel like. But I am having trouble not pronouncing it like Italian in my head.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2015-01-09, 0:51

Trapy wrote: I am still shocked how close this sounds to Italian.

Really? Does this sound Italian too? :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uJDjcXKyII

Return to “Total Annihilation Challenge”