[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
TAC 2015 - voron (Turkish, Arabic) - Page 2 - UniLang

TAC 2015 - voron (Turkish, Arabic)

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators: Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Car, ''', Global Moderators

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Re: TAC 2015 - voron (Turkish, Arabic)

Postby voron » 2015-01-18, 3:31

I've finished the whole MT Arabic set. In the last few lessons it taught verb forms II and V, such as
كسّر - to break (cause to break) (form II)
تكلّم - to speak (form V)
I'm going to list some examples of masdars for these forms from Turkish, so hopefully I'll remember the masdar patterns too. I want to be able to tell the grammatical category of any Turkish word that comes from Arabic.

Next on the list: Syrian Colloquial Arabic. It has 8 chapters in total. The first 2 I'll probably be able to do very fast and then I'll have to work a little harder.

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2015-02-05, 7:10

eskandar wrote: Another expression for "you're welcome" that I really like (which is the default response in Morocco, but can be used anywhere) is لا شكرَ علی واجب .

I think it is common in some other Arabic countries as well, whenever someone says thank you to my professor he always answers with it (he's Iraqi) and a chatroom I used to use a lot of gulf Arabs used it but especially Saudi's.
अहिंसा
TAC 2015:  (hi) (ja) (ar) (fr)
Loves: (bn) (ta) (id) (tr) (ur)

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2015-02-11, 0:11

There was a funny episode today at work. I asked my colleague if she wrote the date correctly and I used the word "tarih" (date). She replied "Evet tarihi doğru yazdım" (Yes I wrote the date correctly) and my other colleague chuckled when she said that.

I was like 'Why, what's going on?' And they explained to me that tarih is normally pronounced with the long "a" but I used the short "a" and my colleague repeated it the way I said, and that sounded funny. Ok I won't forget to pronounce it long the next time! (Also it's an example of how non-phonemic differences still create a foreign accent, because the vowel length is non-phonemic in Turkish).

Later I asked my colleague if I make many mistakes when I speak Turkish. He gave me a couple of examples, like how I would always say yönetimcilik instead of yöneticilik (management), and like I once said "sixty thirty" when arranging the time on the phone instead of "six thirty", but he assured me I don't make many mistakes. That's ... good I guess. :partyhat:

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2015-02-26, 12:20

There is so much going on in my life lately that I have to postpone any language related activities (besides using Turkish in my everyday life, of course). Arabic will have to wait.

Return to “Total Annihilation Challenge”