[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
TAC 2015 - księżyc - UniLang

TAC 2015 - księżyc

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators: Car, Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, ''', Global Moderators

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

TAC 2015 - księżyc

Postby księżycowy » 2015-02-21, 20:18

Ok, so I'm starting a new thread. I dropped off Unilang for a few weeks and a few things have changed (well, one thing really, but whatevs :lol: ). Plus the old thread was getting a little long.

So, this is my language list and plan for the rest of 2015...
Winter/Spring:
-Finish current French textbook (Assimil) by the end of Spring (hopefully).
-Finish Koine Greek (Mounce) and Biblical Hebrew (Kelley) textbooks (by years end, if not sooner).

Summer/Fall:
-Start German or Polish (probably German, but I haven't decided yet). If German, finish German textbook by years end.
-Start Modern Hebrew (and hopefully finish first Hebrew textbook by years end).
-Start Irish?

Year-long:
-Start Japanese (February) and get through first textbook by years end.
-Restart Burmese?
-Start Latin??

Now, short term goals and languages:
French:
-Keep going at 5 lessons at week, as much as possible.
-Work on speaking and listening. I plan to make the review lessons extra practice time for my pronunciation textbook. I'll also take more care while I'm doing the lessons each day. These are my two weakest skills right now, and I don't want to get into bad habits (which is probably too late, but easier to fix it now than wait even longer).
-But it isn't all bad news. My reading comprehension is pretty good. With a dictionary and verb chart (as I have yet to learn any other tenses other then the present indicative), I could probably start reading news or something.

Resources:
New French With Ease by Assimil
Oxford-Hachette French Dictionary
A Comprehensive French Grammar by Price

Greek/Hebrew:
I'll continue to read from the Hebrew Old Testament and Greek New Testament. It would be interesting to eventually add in some Classical Greek texts like from Homer or Socrates, but for now I want to hold off on that. I'll do what I have been doing, alternating weekly between Greek and Hebrew and every other time of doing the same language I'll do a lesson or section of a lesson. So, for example:
week 1: Hebrew - reading from Bible
week 2: Greek - reading from the Bible and textbook lesson
week 3: Hebrew - reading from Bible and textbook lesson
week 4: Greek - reading from Bible
I'll do between 3 to 5 verses per week for both languages, doing one verse per day I'm going to work on which ever language. My goal would be to do a whole chapter once a week, but I'm not quite there yet. So I'm settling for as close to one verse a day as I can right now.

Resources:
Basics of Biblical Greek Grammar by Mounce
Biblical Hebrew: An Introductory Grammar
An Intermediate Greek-English Lexicon by Scott and Liddell
A Concise Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament by Holladay

Japanese:
For better or worse, I've decided to add Japanese to the roster. I listen to Japanese (with English subtitles) practically everyday and I've wanted to learn Japanese for forever. A few failed attempts and a few long breaks later we have it back on the list. I'm not sure how fast or slow I'll go with Japanese, but I'll try to do about 3-5 lessons a week. I have plenty of textbooks and other resources. I'll start with Assimil and see how that goes.

Resources:
Japanese with Ease (vols 1 & 2) by Assimil
Genki by Banno, et al. (and basically the whole line of textbooks from The Japan Times :P )

As always, plans are subject to change. And as new things are acquired, resources will change too.

I'll post a regular update and set my weekly goals by Monday.
þūhte mē þæt ic gesāwe syllicre trēow on lyft lædan lēohte bewunden bēama beorhtost.

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Re: TAC 2015 - księżyc

Postby księżycowy » 2015-02-23, 23:45

Update time!

FR
Completed: 34/113 (Assimil)
This Week's Goal(s): 40/113 (35 is a review lesson)

HE
Completed: 168/373 (Kelley)
Read: 1 Samuel 1:1-4 (New: 1:3-4)
This Week's Goal(s): 168-173 in Kelley and 1 Samuel 1:5-10

GRC
Completed: 166/338 (Mounce)
Read: 1 John 1:1-8
Next Week's Goal(s): 167-179 in Mounce and 1 John 1:9-12

JA
Completed: 3/99 (Assimil)
This Week's Goal(s): 7/99

Notes:
As my comprehension of Hebrew is starting to wane a bit, I've decided to keep it on for two weeks in a row. I'd also like to try and do about 5 verses this week if possible.

I'll post the two verses I translated later, probably tomorrow. Though I admit I'm having some trouble with a few words in verse 4. I'll inquire in the Hebrew forum.

For Japanese I'm holding off on doing anything special to learn the kana or kanji. At a certain point (probably long before they start teaching them at lesson 50) I'll start to get the kana fully down (certainly at least the hiragana). As for the kanji, I'm sure I'll start digging into them around lesson 50 (learn them as part of the second wave maybe?). Though this could change.
þūhte mē þæt ic gesāwe syllicre trēow on lyft lædan lēohte bewunden bēama beorhtost.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-02-24, 10:09

The Assimil French book has only 113 pages?(!)

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2015-02-24, 10:50

No, it has 634 pages in total. :lol: It has 113 lessons, so I just decided to list by lesson for Assimil instead of page number cause the lessons are generally a few (3-4 usually) pages long.

I'm doing the same for Assimil Japanese.

Itikar

Postby Itikar » 2015-02-24, 11:16

Why don't you study also Ancient Greek with Assimil? :twisted:

Joking aside it's one of the few courses with audio.
Do you use Classical or Reuchlinian pronunciation?
Fletto i muscoli e sono nel vuoto!
All corrections are welcome and appreciated.

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2015-02-24, 11:40

I actually plan on using Reading Greek by JACT at some point, which is basically the same as Assimil. And I do have the audio for the first few texts. :wink:

As for pronunciation, I'm not exactly sure. My teacher didn't exactly explain much of the historical pronunciation. I'd hazard to guess it's some where between classical and modern. :lol:

I know for Biblical Hebrew we learned to pronounce it basically as Modern Hebrew.

Itikar

Postby Itikar » 2015-02-24, 12:05

księżycowy wrote:I actually plan on using Reading Greek by JACT at some point, which is basically the same as Assimil. And I do have the audio for the first few texts. :wink:

It seems solid, nice to know there is another course with dialogues and recordings.

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2015-02-24, 14:45

I think you mean readings, not dialogues. :P

I'm not sure about Assimil for Ancient Greek, but the JACT course is all readings from ancient sources.

Itikar

Postby Itikar » 2015-02-24, 15:45

On Amazon's preview it seems very similar to Assimil with narration and dialogues.
At page 6 there is a dialogue. Dialogues from ancient sources but still dialogues... 8-)

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2015-02-24, 16:15

Ok, I get ya now. :wink:

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2015-03-03, 11:15

Update!

FR
Completed: 36/113 (Assimil)
This Week's Goal(s): 40/113

HE
Completed: 168/373 (Kelley)
Read: 1 Samuel 1:1-6
Next Week's Goal(s): 168-173 in Kelley and 1 Samuel 1:7-10

GRC
Completed: 166/338 (Mounce)
Read: 1 John 1:1-8
This Week's Goal(s): 167-170 in Mounce and 1 John 1:9-12

JA
Completed: 7/99 (Assimil)
This Week's Goal(s): 10/99

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2015-03-08, 18:34

Well. This is as good of a time to update as any. For the past week I've had a pretty wicked sinus headache, so my goals for last week are pushing forward to this week.

Hopefully this week things will improve. It's kind of hard to consentrate with a bobble head and all.

Return to “Total Annihilation Challenge”