[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Algic/Algonquin Languages - Page 2 - UniLang

Algic/Algonquin Languages

Moderator: księżycowy

lacustrine

Re: Ojibwe

Postby lacustrine » 2010-10-24, 16:56

Well, there is this one but I'm not sure I want to put the money down for it after reading the review/comment section. It's for an dialect spoken in Canada.
http://www.amazon.com/Nishnaabemwin-Ref ... 610&sr=1-1

Then there is this one, which is a total mystery.
http://www.amazon.com/Ojibwemowin-Langu ... 59&sr=1-21

Luckily, even though a good textbook is hard to find, dictionaries for Ojibwe are easy to locate.

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2010-10-24, 17:02

lacustrine wrote:Then there is this one, which is a total mystery.
http://www.amazon.com/Ojibwemowin-Langu ... 59&sr=1-21

I found that same textbook for sale here:
http://birchbarkbooks.com/native-langua ... 1-textbook
it's a hell of a lot cheaper too!
þūhte mē þæt ic gesāwe syllicre trēow on lyft lædan lēohte bewunden bēama beorhtost.

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2010-10-25, 17:22

I've also found a grammar book on Ojibwe, Ottawa, and Cree. I linked to it in the Algonquin thread.
þūhte mē þæt ic gesāwe syllicre trēow on lyft lædan lēohte bewunden bēama beorhtost.

lacustrine

Postby lacustrine » 2010-10-26, 3:49

Just ran across this one. It has lessons and mp3's on it. In some cases these are downloadable in .pdf or mp3 form and others are all combined in a zip file.

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/vukel003/languages/

Almost seems to be aimed at someone with knowledge of Ojibwe. But the audio is pretty good and useful for those of us who don't live around the Great Lakes!

Cesare M.

Re: Algic/Algonquin Languages

Postby Cesare M. » 2011-01-13, 19:48

I can speak Ojibwe pretty good. If anyone needs help with Ojibwe, please contact me. Thanks.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2012-07-28, 4:16

lacustrine wrote:Just ran across this one. It has lessons and mp3's on it. In some cases these are downloadable in .pdf or mp3 form and others are all combined in a zip file.

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/vukel003/languages/

Almost seems to be aimed at someone with knowledge of Ojibwe. But the audio is pretty good and useful for those of us who don't live around the Great Lakes!

There are some for beginners. You just need to go to his main site and look up his course, and that will link you to the easier lessons. I'm going to take a look at these.

I also gt the free lesson from Pimsleur for Ojibwe and see how I like that. I didn't care for the Russian free lesson. I read somewhere that they were planning on doing three NAILs but it appears they only did Ojibwe. I wonder what the other two were going to be and if they've completely abandoned the project.

I ordered these three books from Amazon for Mi'kmaq and will let you guys know what I think of them:

Grammaire de la langue Mikmaque

Dictionary of the Language of the Micmac Indians, Who Reside in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton and Newfoundland

First Reading Book in the Micmac Language

Since the reading collection and the dictionary were both written byt eh same person, I'm hoping they are complimentary.

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2012-07-28, 15:53

I believe I've seen the third book before. Please do let us know what you think.

arajan

Postby arajan » 2012-08-01, 20:46

For those interested in Cree: The audio for the first volume of "Spoken Cree" is now finally available for listening online and downloading here: http://spokencree.org/.

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2012-08-02, 11:28

Great, thanks! I can finally get the rest of the audio for Level 1 and it looks like they plan to release Level 3 and the audio for Levels 2 & 3! That is awesome! :D :D :D

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2012-08-04, 17:41

I got two of the Mi'gmaq books, the grammar and the reader. Not as happy with them as I had hoped. Both are reproductions of late 19th century texts made by missionaries. The grammar isn't very long, but has a lot of tables and verbs. However there's no index and it uses an older orthography. It may be helpful, but I'm going to having a write out an index myself.

The reader is what I feared: it's a book that was written by missionaries to help Mi'kmaq people learn to read, and then learn to read in English. So it has a lot of word lists of nouns (birds, plants, Nova Scotia geography, etc.), which aren't very helpful at my level since the bulk of learning many NAILs is grammar, syntax and verbs, right? It has a few reading passages that I can use, but because the goal of the book was to get Mi'kmaq reading in English, and make them good Christians in the process, it goes from short passages in Mi'gmaq only to longer passages from the Bible that have the English written directly beneath the Mi'gmaq. :roll: I'll see what I can get out of it.

I also got the Concise Dictionary of Minnesota Ojibwe, which I was thinking about returning since it doesn't look I'll be studying Ojibwe, but it's a really sweet dictionary--very very well laid-out and easy to use. They should make all NAIL dictionaries like this! I think I'll hang on to it.

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2012-08-04, 23:16

ceid donn wrote:I got two of the Mi'gmaq books, the grammar and the reader. Not as happy with them as I had hoped. Both are reproductions of late 19th century texts made by missionaries. The grammar isn't very long, but has a lot of tables and verbs. However there's no index and it uses an older orthography. It may be helpful, but I'm going to having a write out an index myself.

The reader is what I feared: it's a book that was written by missionaries to help Mi'kmaq people learn to read, and then learn to read in English. So it has a lot of word lists of nouns (birds, plants, Nova Scotia geography, etc.), which aren't very helpful at my level since the bulk of learning many NAILs is grammar, syntax and verbs, right? It has a few reading passages that I can use, but because the goal of the book was to get Mi'kmaq reading in English, and make them good Christians in the process, it goes from short passages in Mi'gmaq only to longer passages from the Bible that have the English written directly beneath the Mi'gmaq. :roll: I'll see what I can get out of it.

Sorry to hear that. It really is a shame that there isn't any easily accessible modern Micmac materials aside from the pdf textbook and maybe a few other things hiding out somewhere.

Keystone

Postby Keystone » 2012-08-06, 5:09

If anybody is interested in Lenape, I have a few links:

http://www.lenapenation.org/English%20to%20Lenape.pdf - Dictionary

http://www.swarthmore.edu/SocSci/Lingui ... Lenape.pdf - Lessons

http://www.gilwell.com/lenape/ - Another dictionary

I'm from Pennsylvania and interested in learning a Native American language originally from here, hence my interest. :P

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2012-08-06, 11:07

I have most of those posted in the "Learning Resources" thread. The Lenape Nation's website has the audio for the lessons too, so it's a good deal. :wink:

I was actually looking into learning some Lenape not long ago, but I never did it. Might still go back to it though.

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2012-09-21, 20:00

I want to study an Algonquin language. I think Ojibwe is awesome! There are many resources in Internet :D
Non è tempo di lutti / né di follie. / Questo è tempo di Dio. / Che aspettiamo? / Quale segno? / Quale miracolo? /…. (Elena Bono, Morte di Adamo)

https://m.facebook.com/massimiliano.bav ... r&refid=48

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2012-09-21, 20:12

Really? Where?

I kind of gave up on Ojibwe in favor of Cree. But if there are some good things you've found I might reconsider.

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2012-09-21, 20:31

These are some of the most interesting links:

http://weshki.atwebpages.com/index.html

http://imp.lss.wisc.edu/~jrvalent/ais301/index.html

http://jamesastarkeyjr.com/Ojibwemowin/Pages/Index.htm

http://www.jamesastarkeyjr.com/Ojibwemo ... iteMap.htm

There is also an old book here

http://archive.org/details/cihm_07286

You posted these links in the "learning resources" thread. I didn't see
them becouse the name of the language is not in bold letters!
Last edited by Massimiliano B on 2012-09-22, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
Non è tempo di lutti / né di follie. / Questo è tempo di Dio. / Che aspettiamo? / Quale segno? / Quale miracolo? /…. (Elena Bono, Morte di Adamo)

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2012-09-21, 20:40

Massimiliano B wrote:You posted these links in the "learning resources" thread.

Score one for memory! :P
The second and third links do look good. I remember the one, but for the life of me I can’t remember ever seeing the other one.

I didn't see them because the name of the language is not in bold letters!

Really? I suppose I should fix that.

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2012-09-21, 20:52

Because with 'a'... yes I knew the right spelling... I've typed the wrong letter :)

These links are not in the first post, but almost at the end of the first page.

I think the book is not in the thread.

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2012-09-21, 21:06

Massimiliano B wrote:Because with 'a'... yes I knew the right spelling... I've typed the wrong letter :)

I know you’ve asked for help with your English before, I don’t want you thinking that fell on deaf ears. :)

These links are not in the first post, but almost at the end of the first page.

I think the book is not in the thread.

I’ll fix that in a few minutes. Thanks for pointing that out.

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2012-09-22, 10:16

księżycowy wrote:
Massimiliano B wrote:Because with 'a'... yes I knew the right spelling... I've typed the wrong letter :)

I know you’ve asked for help with your English before, I don’t want you thinking that fell on deaf ears. :)

I really need help! Every correction is appreciated!

Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”