[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
ceid donn - Diné Bizaad - Page 2 - UniLang

ceid donn - Diné Bizaad

Moderator: księżycowy

handsomenavajo01

Re: ceid donn - Diné Bizaad

Postby handsomenavajo01 » 2013-11-08, 17:18

księżycowy wrote:Stealing you're thread for a moment ceid donn.

handsomenavajo01 wrote:
P.S. Breakthrough Navajo is okay, not the best text. I give it a 5 out of 10.

I'm curious what your thoughts are on Breakthrough Navajo (i.e.why do you give 5 out of 10?). Also, what resources would you recommend?

It is an okay beginner text, I must say though it is just okay. Though, I still highly think Irvy. Goosen's book is one of the better ones I seen. I give his book a 7.25 out of 10.

Well for one thing inaccuracies in general in terms of grammar but mostly bad word choice in terms of which word to use. Like I looked at the list and thought you would never really say this or they should have used this word instead of this. Yeah, also some Navajos would find the questions very (or to some) extremely nosy (nosey do not know how to really spell this word anymore lol). I know if I heard some of these questions, I would think why are you asking me this?

I still would recommend for those of you interested or have questions about Navajo to ask me via Skype. Since my account is always logged in from computer, phone, and tablet. That would be the quickest way to ask me and get an instant reply.

I believe my post is still up. You can find my username there but please tell me who you are (unilang username) and such. It would be nice to receive a PM here letting me know that you will be sending to me a friend request.
’Ayóo shaa dzólní, ’aoo’, t’áá íídą́ą́’ shił bééhózin éí lá biniinaa ’at’ééké chxǫǫ́h dashinízin. T’óó ’ádíshní! ;)

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2013-11-08, 18:06

Thanks for the info on the book.
þūhte mē þæt ic gesāwe syllicre trēow on lyft lædan lēohte bewunden bēama beorhtost.

handsomenavajo01

Postby handsomenavajo01 » 2013-11-09, 1:44

księżycowy wrote:Thanks for the info on the book.

Rediscovering Navajo, I believe, forgot the title is also good, decent.
’Ayóo shaa dzólní, ’aoo’, t’áá íídą́ą́’ shił bééhózin éí lá biniinaa ’at’ééké chxǫǫ́h dashinízin. T’óó ’ádíshní! ;)

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2013-11-09, 2:07

Yes, the one from Salina: http://www.salinabookshelf.com/Textbooks.html

Unfortunately I can't afford that right now (well, I might be able to--I have to see how much my next paycheck is). I have Goosen's book but it's the German translation of the text, so I have to recall all those grammar terms in German when I use it, :D and I only have disc 1 of the audio files. But if you think that's the better of the two, I can certainly switch over. Disc 1 goes up to lesson 11, I think, so that's plenty of work for me right now. I'll have to see if I can get an English version of it.

My issues with Breakthrough Navajo is that it would be better as group study text with a fluent speaker, which I suspect it was intended for anyhow. It doesn't really explain things, it has no index and the titles of the chapters are only in Navajo, so a learner using it on their own for self-study has a lot of trouble finding things. The audio CDs are tranfers from the older cassette tapes so the sound quality is not great and each disc is one long track. I had to rip each discs as one big MP3 file and then cut them into smaller MP3s by lessons myself.

handsomenavajo01 wrote:I have never really thought of it like that much in depth.
I just speak it and know the verbal system very well due to learning about it in college class. But not to the extent you explained.
Again, I am always willing to answer questions.

Since I don't know very many Navajo verbs to this stage, it's helpful for me simply so I know what I'm suppose to be looking for in how the verbs are formed. I suspect for people like yourself who know enough Navajo to be familiar with how many various verbs work, these explanations aren't really necessary.

handsomenavajo01

Postby handsomenavajo01 » 2013-11-09, 16:45

ceid donn wrote:Yes, the one from Salina: http://www.salinabookshelf.com/Textbooks.html

Unfortunately I can't afford that right now (well, I might be able to--I have to see how much my next paycheck is). I have Goosen's book but it's the German translation of the text, so I have to recall all those grammar terms in German when I use it, :D and I only have disc 1 of the audio files. But if you think that's the better of the two, I can certainly switch over. Disc 1 goes up to lesson 11, I think, so that's plenty of work for me right now. I'll have to see if I can get an English version of it.

My issues with Breakthrough Navajo is that it would be better as group study text with a fluent speaker, which I suspect it was intended for anyhow. It doesn't really explain things, it has no index and the titles of the chapters are only in Navajo, so a learner using it on their own for self-study has a lot of trouble finding things. The audio CDs are tranfers from the older cassette tapes so the sound quality is not great and each disc is one long track. I had to rip each discs as one big MP3 file and then cut them into smaller MP3s by lessons myself.

handsomenavajo01 wrote:I have never really thought of it like that much in depth.
I just speak it and know the verbal system very well due to learning about it in college class. But not to the extent you explained.
Again, I am always willing to answer questions.

Since I don't know very many Navajo verbs to this stage, it's helpful for me simply so I know what I'm suppose to be looking for in how the verbs are formed. I suspect for people like yourself who know enough Navajo to be familiar with how many various verbs work, these explanations aren't really necessary.

The one by Salina is pretty good when it comes to verbs though as for certain nouns it earns a B-. Verb wise it gets an A- to an A. Again, the nouns are slightly different due to the fact that nearly every single textbook they create seems to be made in Arizona. New Mexico Navajos in my opinion, speak the language better, just because we do not always speak the word "in full", does not mean we speak any lesser than they do. Arizona Navajos have this thing of "we speak the most proper, best Navajo" but to be honest, no, I do not think so. Their translations often sound funny and just not right in some instances. They often can be taken as something else too. If you want to learn Navajo in its most correct form, I would recommend learning from a New Mexico Navajo, like myself.

I am very picky about word usages/choices in Navajo. I find that some are much better to use than per say an AZ Navajo may use. So often times in Navajo classrooms, that I attend, I often find that some things are not used properly words such as "egg" and other words as well. Used by itself or in a certain context will make the word sound inappropriate.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2013-11-09, 22:50

Thank you for explaining this. These are issues I was not very aware of. I certainly would not want to say anything inappropriate--that is a rather common pitfall of learning any language. :lol: Besides I live in thee El Paso-Las Cruces area, so learning New Mexico Navajo would be preferable to me.

I think I still have your Skype address in a PM you sent me previously. I'm not going to worry about the previous stuff I posted from Breakthrough Navajo right now. For right now I'd like to continue reading through The Navajo Verb and work on the first few chapters in Goosen's book, just so I can have something to start with before talking with you. :)

Hágoónee'.

handsomenavajo01

Postby handsomenavajo01 » 2013-11-12, 6:32

ceid donn wrote:Thank you for explaining this. These are issues I was not very aware of. I certainly would not want to say anything inappropriate--that is a rather common pitfall of learning any language. :lol: Besides I live in thee El Paso-Las Cruces area, so learning New Mexico Navajo would be preferable to me.

I think I still have your Skype address in a PM you sent me previously. I'm not going to worry about the previous stuff I posted from Breakthrough Navajo right now. For right now I'd like to continue reading through The Navajo Verb and work on the first few chapters in Goosen's book, just so I can have something to start with before talking with you. :)

Hágoónee'.

Okay, that sounds good.
Though, my question to you is in what shape or form did my language interest you?

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2013-11-12, 17:53

I always wanted to study a NAIL from this region (Southwest US) because I have spent most of my life here. Navajo seemed like the best option to me--it has the most speakers and resources, so I can study it without having to be too intrusive as an "outsider". Also I think it's just a very beautiful language--the sounds, the words and the rhythms are all very beautiful to me. And because it's indigenous to this region, it can let me speak about about things that are a the part of my daily life here in the Southwest more easily than languages that are mainly spoken in other parts of the world. :)

Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”