[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
Cape Verdean Creole - UniLang

Cape Verdean Creole

Aisling
Language Forum Moderator

Cape Verdean Creole

Postby Aisling » 2015-02-03, 10:13

There was no thread about Cape Verdean Creole, so I decided to open a thread for that language.

You can ask your questions about the language.
Native:  (tr), Fluent:  (da)  (el), Advanced:  (en)  (fr)  (de)  (es)  (sv), Intermediate:  (ga)  (bg)  (no)

TeneReef

Re: Cape Verdean Creole

Postby TeneReef » 2015-03-08, 17:48

I like it, but everyone in Cape Verde speaks Portuguese.
It may be useful for understanding local music (either zouk or coladera).
Every island has its own creole, and linguistic-wise, there are two distinct groups: Sotavento and Barlavento Creoles, which are as distant as Portuguese and Spanish are. For example, in Praia, a pig is said porku and in Mindelo it's txuk. :para:

conjugation-wise

the basic derivative form is past (which is identical to infinitive): txora (it means either ''to cry'' or ''cried'')

M txora = I cried.

If you want to make the present form, you have to put ta before this basic past/infinitive form,
while doing this you transform it into imperfective present:

M txora (I cried) + ta -> M ta txora (I cry).

M kre-bu (I wanted you) + ta -> M ta kre-bu (I want you).

M ama-bu (I loved you) + ta -> M ta ama-bu (I love you).

That's in Santiago (the largest island) creole.

A song partially sung in the creole (you can hear M ta ama-bu said):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bTzMajLLNQ
learning:  (ne)  (sv)  (es-ar)  (hi) (Assamese, Gujarati, Hindi, Telugu)

Return to “Creole Languages”