[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
księżyc - Readings in Biblical Hebrew - UniLang

księżyc - Readings in Biblical Hebrew

Moderator: Ashucky

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

księżyc - Readings in Biblical Hebrew

Postby księżycowy » 2014-07-18, 22:06

So, I figured, due to the nature of this thread being about readings from the Bible i would put it in the ACEL forum. I almost posted it in the Hebrew forum, but I figure this forum needs some love too. :wink: Personally, I'll save the Hebrew forum for Modern Hebrew for the most part.

In order to keep my Biblical Hebrew up to snuff, and hopefully improve it along the way, I'm going to start posting sections of Biblical text that I will gloss, parse key words, and translate. All names (place and person) will conform to the NSRV form. I'd like to go through a whole book of the Bible before moving on to other readings, but we will see how interest guides us. I'll take a few verses at a time for now (my original plan was to do a whole chapter at a time, but that's a little too much to bite off right now).

I've been (slowly) working through 1 Samuel, so why not keep that going.

1 Sam 1:1-5:
וַיְהִי אִישׁ אֶחָר מִן־הָרָמָתַיִמ צוֹפִימ מֵהַ֣ר אֶפְרָיִם וּשְׁמוֹ אֶלְקָנָה בֶּן־יְרֹחָם בֶּן־אְֶלִיהוּא בֶּן־תֹּחוּ בֶן־צוּף אֶפְרָתִי׃ וְלוֹ שְׁתֵּי נָשִׁים שֵׁם אַחַת חַנָּה וְשֵׁם הַשֵּׁנִית פְּנִנָּה וַיְהִי לִפְנִנָּה יְלָדִים וּלְחַנָּה אֵין יְלָדִים׃ וְעָלָה הָאִישׁ הַהוּא מֵעִירוֹ מִיָּמִים יָמִימָה לְהִשְׁתַּחְַוֹת וְלִזְבֹּחַ לַיהוָה צְבָאוֹת בְּשִׁלֹה וְשָׁם שְׁנֵי בְנֵי־עֵלִי חָפְנִי וּפִ֣נְחָס כֹּהְַנִים לַיהוָה׃ וַיְהִ֣י הַיּוֹם וַיִּזְבַּח אֶלְקָנָה וְנָתַן לִפְנִנָּ֣ה אִשְׁתּוֹ וּלְכָל־בָּנֶיהָ וּבְנוֹתֶיהָ מָנוֹת׃ וּלְחַנָּה יִתֵּן מָנָה אַחַת אַפָּיִם כִּי אֶת־חַנָּה אָהֵב וַיהוה סָגַר רַחְמָהּ׃

Verse 1:
וַיְהִי אִישׁ אֶחָר מִן־הָרָמָתַיִמ צוֹפִימ מֵהַ֣ר אֶפְרָיִם וּשְׁמוֹ אֶלְקָנָה בֶּן־יְרֹחָם בֶּן־אְֶלִיהוּא בֶּן־תֹּחוּ בֶן־צוּף אֶפְרָתִי׃

Gloss:
וַיְהִיאִישׁ אֶחָר מִן־הָרָמָתַיִמ צוֹפִימ מֵהַ֣ר אֶפְרָיִם וּשְׁמוֹ
and_it was somanonefrom_Ramathaim Zophimfrom_mountainEphraimand_name_his
אֶלְקָנָהבֶּן־יְרֹחָםבֶּן־אְֶלִיהוּא בֶּן־תֹּחוּבֶן־צוּףאֶפְרָתִי
Elkanahson_Jerohamson_Elihuson_Tohuson_ZuphEphraimite

Parsing of Key Words:
וַיְהִי - vav conversive on a 3rd masc. sing. imperfect, root: היה; "and it was so/thus"
אֶחָר - masc. absolute cardinal number; "one"
מֵהַ֣ר - preposition (מִן) attached to a construct masc. sing. noun; "from [a] mountain"
וּשְׁמוֹ - conjunctive ("and") attached to a const. masc. sing. noun with masc. sing. suffix; "and his name"

Translation:
And there was a [lit: one] man from Ramathaim Zophim* from [a] mountain [of] Ephraim, and his name [was] Elkanah, son of Jeroham, son of Elihu, son of Tohu, son of Zuph, [an] Ephraimite.

*Some translations: from Ramathaim, a Zuphite (I favor "Ramathaim Zophim" as a complete place name, and see no reason for this split at the moment)

Grammar to Learn/Refresh:
-Weak verbs, weak verbs, weak verbs! :lol:
-Refresh alternative forms of conjunctive vav and preposition מִן.
-Personal pronoun suffixes.

Vocabulary to Learn/Refresh:
הַ֣ר

Notes:
This verse was pretty easy. Mostly construct chains connected with maqqefs (almost all of these being a list of ancestors). The trickiest thing was translating the names into something other then the transcription I learned. :lol:
Last edited by księżycowy on 2014-07-23, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.
þūhte mē þæt ic gesāwe syllicre trēow on lyft lædan lēohte bewunden bēama beorhtost.

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Re: księżyc - Readings in Biblical Hebrew

Postby księżycowy » 2014-07-23, 21:42

Verse 2:
וְלוֹ שְׁתֵּי נָשִׁים שֵׁם אַחַת חַנָּה וְשֵׁם הַשֵּׁנִית פְּנִנָּה וַיְהִי לִפְנִנָּה יְלָדִים וּלְחַנָּה אֵין יְלָדִים׃

Gloss:
יְלָדִיםאֵיןוּלְחַנָּהיְלָדִיםלִפְנִנָּהוַיְהִי
childrenabsenceand_to_Hannahchildrento_Peninnahand_it was so
פְּנִנָּההַשֵּׁנִיתוְשֵׁםחַנָּהאַחַת
Peninnahthe_secondand_nameHannahone
שֵׁםנָשִׁיםשְׁתֵּיוְלוֹ
namewomentwoand_to_him

Parsing of Key Words:

Translation:
And he had two wives, one named Hannah and the second named Peninnah, and it happened that P. had children, but Hannah had no children.

Grammar to Learn/Refresh:
-Numbers (I forgot that last time).

Notes:
-I don't nessicarily plan to go line by line like I have the last two posts. it just will depend on how much I can get done in a few days, as I want to keep posting every few days here. I may try doing a few verses at once (and maybe eventually do more then 5 verses at a time. Either way, every so often I plan to concolidate what I've done translation, vocabulary, and grammar wise into one bigger post. Perhaps every chapter, if it's not too much. We'll see how it goes.

-Nothing really to report about this particular verse, aside from the fact that I was a bit free with my translation, as anyone can tell. Though I did try to keep it pretty close to the Hebrew (including trying to keep it in one sentence; most translations make this a few sentences).

-Also note the order of the glossing has switched to a more Hebrew orientation. (Which is what I intended from the start)
þūhte mē þæt ic gesāwe syllicre trēow on lyft lædan lēohte bewunden bēama beorhtost.

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Re: księżyc - Readings in Biblical Hebrew

Postby księżycowy » 2014-08-05, 19:09

I forgot the mention in my intro to this thread:
This is as much a way to practice as it is the hope people will help/correct me where appropriate.

More coming up in a few days.

Return to “Ancient, Classical and Extinct Languages”