[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Ka Papa ‘Ōlelo Hawai‘i (Hawaiian language course) - Page 2 - UniLang

Ka Papa ‘Ōlelo Hawai‘i (Hawaiian language course)

Moderator: Yserenhart

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2006-09-30, 4:45

Aloha 'oe e ke kumu!

I'e tried your exercises for the second lesson. I can't download the correct software to make the 'okina appear so please forgive me for not using the correct orthography.

Please correct any error seen here - this was all based on what I could come up with based on my memory! (Negation is very hard coming from a New Zealand Māori background!).

1. He is a fast student.
He haumana 'āwīwī 'o ia.
'A'ole 'o ia he haumana 'āwīwī.

2. That (near you) is a fruit.
He hua'ai kēnē.
'A'ole kēnā he hua'ai

3. What is that (away from you and me)?
He aha kēlā?
----------------------- (Unless you meant 'it's not what? - 'A'ole kēnā he aha?????)

4. That is a cold beverage.
He mea inu hu'ihu'i kēlā.
'A'ole kēlā he mea inu hu'ihu'i.

5. Is she a police officer?
He mēka'i wahine 'o ia?
'A'ole 'o ia he mēka'i wahine.

6. Is that (near you) delicious food?
He mea 'ai 'ono kēnā?
'A'ole kēnā he mea 'ai 'ono?

7. Is this a good teacher?
He kumu maika'i kēia?
'A'ole kēia he kumu maika'i?

8. This is a good car.
He ka'a maika'i nō kēia!
'A'ole kēia he ka'a maika'i.

9. You are a fast person.
He kanaka 'ēwīwī 'oe.
'A'ole 'oe he kanaka 'āwīwī.

10. I am a teacher.
He kumu wau.
'A'ole au he kumu

1. He noho 'ana kēia
2. He lā'au loa kēlā
3. 'O O'ahu ka inoa o kou mokupuni?
4. 'O wai ka inoa o kēlā mauna?
5. 'O ka makua wahine 'o ia, 'o ka makua kēne 'o ia
6. He mau lolo uila kēia nā ke kula nui
7. 'O wai ka inoa o ke ali'i o Hawai'i?
8. I kou mana'o, he 'ono anei ke kanaka?
9. He wahine pupuka 'oe!
10. 'O wai ka inoa o kēkahi mele nahenahe nō nā mokupuni o Hawai'i?
Linguicide IS genocide. :)

He ingoa ōpaki a Riki; he ingoa ōkawa a Ariki.

Riki is an informal name; Ariki is a formal name.

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2006-09-30, 4:47

E Nero! Mai hilahila 'oe!

HAW hilahila -> MAO hihira

p.s. I have Pollex now, Mamo. I'm more than happen to look up cognates for you Mamo (I'm not allowed to distribute it unfortunately!)

Mamo

Postby Mamo » 2006-09-30, 4:48

Nohola wrote:You know what would be better, sentences that deal with the culture. Too many people like to learn the language but out of cultural context. You should teach them more words that are of Hawaiian origin. It may be harder to translate into other languages, but we're talking real cultural learning here.

Welcome to the Hawaiian language forum, and thank you for your input :D . All of the words I have included in the last couple of lessons are high-frequency words, and with the exception of pia, they are all of Hawaiian origin; even ka'a (car) may be from the word ka'a (to roll). Your advice is very valuable. And again, welcome.

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2006-09-30, 4:51

e hoa, me tutaki taua i a taua i roto i te ruma korero!

e hoa, he mea maika'i no e halawai kaua i a kaua ma loko i ka lumi 'olelo?

(this is a wild guess, and yes, I am being lazy with the macrons hehe)

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2006-09-30, 4:51

ps

HAW ka'a -> MAO taka

:oops: :oops:

Mamo

Postby Mamo » 2006-09-30, 5:32

riki wrote:1. He is a fast student.
He haumana 'āwīwī 'o ia.
'A'ole 'o ia he haumana 'āwīwī.

2. That (near you) is a fruit.
He hua'ai [s]kēnē[/s] kēnā.
'A'ole kēnā he hua'ai

3. What is that (away from you and me)?
He aha kēlā?
----------------------- (Unless you meant 'it's not what? - 'A'ole kēnā he aha?????)

4. That is a cold beverage.
He mea inu hu'ihu'i kēlā.
'A'ole kēlā he mea inu hu'ihu'i.

5. Is she a police officer?
He [s]mēka'i[/s] māka'i wahine 'o ia?
'A'ole 'o ia he [s]mēka'i[/s] māka'i wahine.

6. Is that (near you) delicious food?
He mea 'ai 'ono kēnā?
'A'ole kēnā he mea 'ai 'ono?

7. Is this a good teacher?
He kumu maika'i kēia?
'A'ole kēia he kumu maika'i?

8. This is a good car.
He ka'a maika'i nō kēia!
'A'ole kēia he ka'a maika'i.

9. You are a fast person.
He kanaka [s]'ēwīwī[/s]'āwīwī 'oe.
'A'ole 'oe he kanaka 'āwīwī.

10. I am a teacher.
He kumu wau.
'A'ole au he kumu

1. correct
2. kēnē should be kēnā, but I know that this is only a typo, since you have this demonstrative in Māori. The code for ā must be similar to the one for ē.
3. You are right. "He aha ____" cannot be negated. I left it in their by accident with the rest of the sentences that were to be negated. The sentence 'A'ole kēnā he aha? would mean That is not a, what?/ What is that not?.
4. correct
5. mēka'i should be māka'i. I know that this is again probably just a typo. Māori should have the word mātaki, and mātakitaki. You added wahine after māka'i to make it a female police officer, since the English used the word "she," and our pronouns don't express the sex of the person(s).
6. correct
7. correct
8. correct. You used the intensifier nō. Excellent.
9. It should be 'āwīwī instead of 'ēwīwī.
10. correct. You used a pronoun I haven't introduced yet: wau, so I will explain to others reading the corrections. Wau is the same as au.

riki wrote:1. He noho 'ana kēia
2. He lā'au loa kēlā
3. 'O O'ahu ka inoa o kou mokupuni?
4. 'O wai ka inoa o kēlā mauna?
5. 'O ka makua wahine 'o ia, 'o ka makua [s]kēne[/s]kāne 'o ia
6. He mau lolo uila kēia nā ke kula nui
7. 'O wai ka inoa o ke ali'i o Hawai'i?
8. I kou mana'o, he 'ono anei ke kanaka?
9. He wahine pupuka 'oe!
10. 'O wai ka inoa o kēkahi mele nahenahe nō nā mokupuni o Hawai'i?

1. correct. This is a chair/settlement/lifestyle.
2. correct. That is a long branch/tree/plant.
3. correct, and advanced. Is O'ahu the name of your island?
4. correct, and advanced. What is the name of that mountain?
5. correct, and advanced, except that it is kāne, not kēne; probably just a typo. She is the mother, he is the father.
6. correct, and advanced. These are some computers for the college
7. correct, and advanced. What is the name of the king/chief of Hawai'i?
8. correct, and advanced. In your opinion, are people really tasty (lit. is the human really a good tasting [thing]).
9. correct, and mean to say to girls :(. You are an ugly woman!
10. correct, and advanced. What is the name of a sweet-sounding song concerning (lit. for) the islands of Hawai'i?

You will find that there are differences between Māori (NZ) and Hawaiian in terms of macron length for some of the determiners and prepositions. For example, No/na (nō,nā), kekahi/kahi (tētahi).
Last edited by Mamo on 2006-09-30, 5:38, edited 1 time in total.

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2006-09-30, 5:36

hehe I think you got hold of my answers before I had a late brainwave and corrected all of the vowels.

Yes, and it is hard getting the ē and ā to come out correctly!!!!!!! :twisted:

As for the vowel length of prepositions, I wasn't too sure what the policy was so I used the policy more familiar to the Tahitic languages. Thankyou for the piece of information.

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2006-09-30, 5:37

ps. me haere mai koe ki te ruma korero ok?

Aleco
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Aleco » 2006-09-30, 8:27

Aleco wrote:Aloha kākou! Pehea 'oe, Mamo? A me mama mana'o ...?
Descendant?

A me "me" mana'o kahi "me" luna he 'ōlelo nolewai :?

Nā hewa? :oops:
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Understands (sv) Understands (dk) Studied (ja)
Understands some (nl) Mom's side of the family (fo) Studies now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

Mamo

Postby Mamo » 2006-09-30, 9:13

riki wrote:e hoa, me tutaki taua i a taua i roto i te ruma korero!

e hoa, he mea maika'i no e halawai kaua i a kaua ma loko i ka lumi 'olelo?

(this is a wild guess, and yes, I am being lazy with the macrons hehe)

Remember that in Hawaiian the pattern with locatives is slightly different.

I luna o ka _____. Above the ______.
I lalo o ka _____. Beneath the _______.
I mua o ka _____. In front of ________.
I hope o ka _____. Behind the _______.
I waena o ka ______. In the middle of the _______.
I waho o ka ______. Outside of the _______.

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2006-09-30, 9:50

Thats right, Maori has the same system, I was just experimenting with ma and see what kind of reaction I'd get :wink:

Mamo

Postby Mamo » 2006-09-30, 10:13

riki wrote:Thats right, Maori has the same system, I was just experimenting with ma and see what kind of reaction I'd get :wink:

Ma is fine. I'm talking about the i in phrases like i loko i; that part would be o.

i/ma loko o
i/ma waho o
i/ma luna o
i/ma lalo o

and so on.

Ma is usually used when something is stationary.

Aleco
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Aleco » 2006-09-30, 14:16

Aleco wrote:
Aleco wrote:Aloha kākou! Pehea 'oe, Mamo? A me mama mana'o ...?
Descendant?

A me "me" mana'o kahi "me" luna he 'ōlelo nolewai :?

Nā hewa? :oops:

Aloha!!!! :?
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Understands (sv) Understands (dk) Studied (ja)
Understands some (nl) Mom's side of the family (fo) Studies now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

culúrien

Postby culúrien » 2006-09-30, 18:24

respuuestas a la tercerca parte:

1.He aha ka inoa?

2.He kumu kēia?

3.ʻAʻole au he keiki.

4.He wahine ʻo ia?

5.ʻAʻole kēnā he pia huʻihuʻi.

6.He haumana maikaʻi ʻoe.

7.ʻAʻole au he haumana.

8.He manaʻo au.

9.He waihoʻoluʻu kēnā?

10.He mea inu ʻono ka pia.
استیسی

Mamo

Postby Mamo » 2006-09-30, 21:56

celebrian23 wrote:respuuestas a la tercerca parte:

1. [s]He aha[/s]' O wai ka inoa?

2.He kumu kēia?

3.ʻAʻole au he keiki.

4.He wahine ʻo ia?

5.ʻAʻole kēnā he pia huʻihuʻi.

6.He haumana maikaʻi ʻoe.

7.ʻAʻole au he haumana.

8. He manaʻo au.

9.He waihoʻoluʻu kēnā?

10.He mea inu ʻono ka pia.

1. I haven't gotten to the equational sentences that do not start with he, so what you wrote is understandable given that I have not explained the other type of equational sentence. Also, remember that "he aha" can not be used when asking the proper name of something. When you want to know the proper name of something, the interogative pronoun wai is used.
2. correct
3. correct
4. correct
5. correct
6. correct
7. correct
8. correct. This sentence makes sense, but it is saying: I am a thought.
9. correct
10. correct

Excellent :D. I am impressed. You did very well, and you are getting better in every exercise.

Nohola

Postby Nohola » 2006-09-30, 22:33

riki wrote:Tena koe Nohola!

He tika tau, kati te whakarongo atu ki a ia, no te mea, ka pahupahu whera ia i nga wa katoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your words are right on (concerning the flag)!

Mahalo e riki. I dunno why, but it's so difficult for me to understand Rapa. I hope you can understand Hawaiian better than I do Rapa. :lol:

He pololeo no 'oe. 'Oi aku ka 'ike pili i ke kumu o ka hae Hawai'i ma mua o ke kakau na'au'ole. You are definitely right. Better to know about the origin of the flag than to write nonesense.

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2006-10-01, 0:13

hehe ko taku reo, ko te reo Maori o Aotearoa! (I'm Maori by the way :wink: )

ka korero whena hoki ngoku matua tupuna - ina kore koe e mohio ana mo te kaupapa kaua e korero mo taua kaupapa! He ture ngawari ne!

My old peeps also used to talk like that - when you don't know about the subject don't talk about that subject! An easy rule ay!

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2006-10-01, 0:42

Aloha Aleco,

I've just noticed your posts :oops: (my bad!). Were you trying to say -

He aha ka mana'o o ka hua'olelo o ka 'mamo'?

What does the word 'mamo' mean?

My sentence is by no means any maika'i, however, I think it should be generally representative of what you are trying to say? In Maori (NZ), it would be said -

He aha te tikanga o te kupu o te 'mamo'.

I'm just taking a stab in to the dark here too (with regards to Hawai'ian obviously hehe).

e pa'a 'oe e ku'u hoa!

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2006-10-01, 0:50

Ma is fine. I'm talking about the i in phrases like i loko i; that part would be o.

i/ma loko o
i/ma waho o
i/ma luna o
i/ma lalo o

and so on.

Ma is usually used when something is stationary.

A, ua maopopo ia'u inaianei (or is it more normal to say i keia manawa??)

That seems to be a fairly common Polynesian feature, the use of o possessive marking to indicate location. Rapa Nui favours repeating the preposition particle twice e.g.

ki runga ki te hare - to on top of the house

Penrhyn (Tongarevan) follows the Hawai'ian model e.g.

ki runga o te hare

while Maori (NZ) can have ki, o or i in that same position e.g.

ki runga ki te whare

ki runga i te whare

ki runga o te whare

Mahalo no kena ho'omaopopo'ana (???) Thankyou for that explanation!

Mamo

Postby Mamo » 2006-10-01, 2:07

Nohola wrote:
riki wrote:Tena koe Nohola!

He tika tau, kati te whakarongo atu ki a ia, no te mea, ka pahupahu whera ia i nga wa katoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your words are right on (concerning the flag)!

Mahalo e riki. I dunno why, but it's so difficult for me to understand Rapa. I hope you can understand Hawaiian better than I do Rapa. :lol:

He [s]pololeo[/s] pololei/polole'i/pololoi/pololo'i no 'oe. 'Oi aku ka 'ike pili i ke kumu o ka hae Hawai'i ma mua o ke kakau [s]na'au'ole[/s] na'auao 'ole. You are definitely right. Better to know about the origin of the flag than to write nonesense.

Ua kahiāuli 'ia nā ho'oponopono i nā 'olalau ma ke kala 'ōma'oma'o. He mau wahi pa'ewa kikokiko wale nō na'e paha ia mau mea.

The corrections are in green. These were probably just mere typos.

riki wrote:A, ua maopopo ia'u inaianei (or is it more normal to say i keia manawa??)

We do not have the word inaianei. It is proper to use the following:
I kēia manawa
I kēia wā
Ānō

Return to “Australian, Austronesian and Papuan Languages”