[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Bengali 101 (Bengali Lessons) - UniLang

Bengali 101 (Bengali Lessons)

Moderators: Meera, vijayjohn

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Bengali 101 (Bengali Lessons)

Postby Meera » 2013-06-17, 18:13

Bengali 101

Here I will be posting Bengali lessons. I will be using “Colloquial Bengali”, “Teach Yourself Bengali” and “Bengali, Part 1: A Basic Course in Spoken Bengali, with Emphasis Upon Speaking and Understanding the Language,” for reference as I make these lessons. I want everyone to know I am NOT a native speaker of Bengali, but I have a passion for this language and I want to promote it anyway I can.

What is Bengali?
Bengali is a language mainly spoken in Eastern India (West Bengal which includes Kolkata) and in Bangladesh. It has 220 Million native speakers and is the second most spoken language in India after Hindi. The Bengali language has a very rich cultural heritage and has the most modern day literature than any other South Asian language. Rabindranath Tagore was the first South Asian to win a Nobel Prize for literature and his work was written in Bengali. Satyojit Rai, one of India’s most notable directors, made most of his films in Bengali. Bengali is on the list of critical languages issued by the United States, and out of the major languages it is the least studied. Learning Bengali is highly rewarding and Bengali’s will be flattered that you took the time out to learn their language. Since they are used too many different accents Bengali speakers tend to be very forgiving if you make mistakes and are usually willing to help you in any way they can. Bengali is also famous for being one the sweetest and prettiest languages of the region.

Is Bengali hard?
This is a difficult question. Parts of Bengali are certainly tricky, especially with the writing system and some of the pronunciation. However Bengali has no gender and using the verb to be in simple sentences. Bengali will be easier if you already know an Indo-European language, like Hindi. Bengali is said to have the most Sanskrit loanwords of all the modern South Asian languages, but it also has many words in common with Hindi, Nepali and Persian. Bengali isn’t terribly difficult If you work hard at it.

Lesson 1: Apni Kaemon Acchen?
In this lesson we will learn Greetings and how to say your name and ask someone’s name. We will also learn how to make simple sentences. For now I’m going to keep the lessons in transliteration with maybe some script, but try not to worry about the script yet and concentrate on the phrases and how to use them. I think starting the script now may be too overwhelming. I will try to start each lesson with a dialogue and then explain what the sentences mean. I’m going to start out slowly so everyone can keep up.

Dialogue 1: Rani and Reena see each other in the market. Reena introduces Rani to her aunt.

রানী: নমস্কার রীনা! তুমি কেমন আচ?
Rani: Nomaskar Reena! Tumi kaemon acho?
রীনা :আমি ভালো আছি. ধন্যবাদ! এ হলো আমার কাকি-মা.
Reena : Ami bhalo achi. E holo amar kaki-ma.
কাকি-মা : নমস্কার. তোমার নাম কি?
Kaki-ma: nomaskar. Tomar naam ki?
রানী: আমার নাম রানী.
Rani: Amar naam Rani.

Vocabulary :
নমস্কার-(Nomaskar) Hello/greetings
তুমি (tumi)- a familiar informal you
আচ (acho)- you are (informal/familiar)
কেমন (kaemon)- how?

তুমি কেমন আচ?(tumi kaemon acho?)- How are you? (informal/familiar)

আমি(ami)- I
ভালো (bhalo)-good/well
আছি (achi)- I am
এ (E….)- this
হলো (holo)- is
আমার (amar)- My
কাকি-মা (kaki-ma)- aunt
তোমার(tomar)-your
নাম (naam)- name
কি(ki)- What?
আমার নাম (amar naam..)- My name is….

Language Notes:
*Bengali has levels of politeness. Since this is the first lesson we will only focus on two of them. In the dialogue, both Rani and Reena are very young and they are about the same age as each other. So when they meet each other they use the familiar form of you, তুমি (tumi). Likewise Reena’s aunt uses তোমার (tomar) to Rani when asking her name, this is because Rani is much younger than Reena’s aunt. Now let’s say Rani wanted to ask Reena’s aunt how she was doing, she could not use তুমি (tumi), instead she would have to show respect to Reena’s aunt and say “আপনি কেমন আছেন? (Apni Kaemon Achen?. Notice that the verb endings along with the word for “you” changes. If Rani wanted to ask Reena’s aunt her name, she would say: আপনার নাম কি?(Apnar Naame ki?). Although I did not include this in the dialogue because in some parts of Bangladesh it is consider rude for a young child to ask the name of an adult. So let’s go over this phrases one more time:

Formal/Showing respect:

আপনি কেমন আছেন?
(Apni kaemon achen?)

আপনার নাম কি?
(Apnar naam ki?)

Familiar/Informal:[/b

]তুমি কেমন আচ?
(tumi kaemon acho ?)

তোমার নাম কি?
(tomar naam ki ?)

[b]Apni
- to people that are older, and higher in rank.
tumi- to people visibly younger than you, same age or lower in rank.
When in doubt stick to Apni, until you get used to Bengali you may also want to stick with Apni.

*In Bengali the Verb comes at the end of the sentence. We saw this in the dialogue and the phrases above. However in certain situations, for example in some negatives the verb does not come at the end. (We will get into this later.) For most of the time Bengali is a SOV (subject object verb) language.
*In certain simple sentence structures, Bengali doesn’t need to use the verb. Of course you can use it if you like, but in some sentences there is no need for it. Here are some examples:
আমি ভালো (ami bhalo)- I’m well. We have omitted the verb here and it is grammatically correct.
আপনার নাম কি? (apnar naam ki) – What is your name? (Look closely, there is no verb here.)
উনি কি? (uni ki?)- Who is he? – (There is also no verb here. Uni means he/she and ki is the interrogative.

*The use of কি (ki) has a lot of uses in Bengali. Its literal meaning is “What?” But it can turn statements into questions, much like the Hindi “kya”. When it is used for What the pronunciation is more stressed, when it is just used to make something into a question it is pronounced lightly. In proper writing it is supposed to be spelled differently from each other. Some believe it should be spelled “কী” when used literally as what? And all other times it should be spelled কি. However most Bengali’s and even Bengali writers have largely ignored this rule. Some example’s with কি ( ki). Don’t worry about the extra vocabulary here, if it’s too much, just concentrate on the use of কি (ki).

তুমি কি খাবে? (tumi ki khabe?)- What do you want to eat?

তুমি কি বাংলা জানো? (Tumi ki bangla jano?)- Do you know Bengali?

আপনার কাকি-মা কি এখানে ? (apnar kaki-ma ki ekhane?)- Is your aunt here ?

*You can also ommit কি (ki) if you rise your intonation, just like in English!

I think is quite a lot for Lesson 1, so we will end it here. However I wanted to leave you with some more greetings!

সুপ্রভাত (shuprobhot!) –Good morning!
শুভ সন্ধ্যা।(shobho shoandha)- Good evening
শুভরাত্রি (shoba ratri)- Goodnight!
अहिंसा
TAC 2015:  (hi) (ja) (ar) (fr)
Loves: (bn) (ta) (id) (tr) (ur)

Bijlee

Re: Bengali 101 (Bengali Lessons)

Postby Bijlee » 2013-06-20, 0:41

সহায়ক পাঠ, মীরা! সবাই বাংলা সহজে শিখবে!

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2013-06-20, 0:56

Meera wrote:Rabindranath Tagore was the first South Asian to win a Pulitzer Prize for literature and his work was written in Bengali.

It was the Nobel Prize.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2013-06-20, 6:46

Bijlee wrote:সহায়ক পাঠ, মীরা! সবাই বাংলা সহজে শিখবে!

ধন্যবাদ, বিজলী !!
अहिंसा

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2013-06-20, 6:47

Yasna wrote:
Meera wrote:Rabindranath Tagore was the first South Asian to win a Pulitzer Prize for literature and his work was written in Bengali.

It was the Nobel Prize.

Fixed :P
अहिंसा

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2014-07-14, 2:13

Would anyone be interested in me posting more Bangla lessons?
अहिंसा

limoneneis

Postby limoneneis » 2014-07-14, 19:16

Yes, please post more :D :yep:
 (kl) (ja)

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2014-07-15, 3:46

limoneneis wrote:Yes, please post more :D :yep:

Okay I will :mrgreen:
अहिंसा

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2014-07-15, 23:19

আপনি বাংলা জানেন (apni bangla janen?)
Do you know Bengali?
In this lesson we will learn to what languages you speak and the rest of the pronouns. I won’t do too much because there are A LOT of pronouns and I don’t want to overwhelm you. So this lessons will be short.
Like I said Bengali has different levels of politeness. Since you usually don’t know a person when asking which languages they speak, I will keep it with formal here. Basically you can just follow the construction in the tittle.
আপনি বাংলা জানেন? Apn i bangla janen?
Do you know Bengali?
আপনি ফরাসী ভাষা জানেন?Apni forashi bhasha janen?
Do you know the French language?
To say you know a language you can say, আমি….জানি ami …jani
আমি আরবী ভাষা জানি (ami arabi bhasha jani)
I know Arabic Language
If you want to say that you only know a little bit of a language you can say অল্প একটু olpo ektu
আমি অল্প একটু বাংলা জানি-Ami olpo ektu bangla jani
I know a little Bengali.

So Bengali has a lot of pronouns. Pronouns depend on different factors. For example politeness and how far away/close something is.
Singular Pronouns:
আমি(ami)- I
তুমি(tumi)-you
আপনি (apni)-you (polite)
তুই (tui)-you (very intimate)
এ (e) – he/she (close by)
ও (o)-he/she (far off)
সে(she)-he/she (other)

Plural Pronouns
আমরা (amra)-we
তোমরা(tomra) you (fam.)
আপনারা(apnara)-you (polite)
তোরা(tora)-you (intimate)
এরা(era)-they (close by)
ওরা(ora)-they (far off)
তারা(tara)-they (other)

No dialogue this week. But don’t worry there will be the next lesson. This lesson already seems long enough so I guess I will leave it at the pronouns.

Anyway I hope you liked these lessons :mrgreen:
अहिंसा

limoneneis

Postby limoneneis » 2014-07-19, 19:04

Thank you Meera! :D I like your lessons! :partyhat:
 (kl) (ja)

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2014-07-24, 21:40

limoneneis wrote:Thank you Meera! :D I like your lessons! :partyhat:

Aww thanks limoneneis :mrgreen:
अहिंसा

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-07-31, 21:09

I like your lessons, too! :mrgreen: Maybe I can help with them or something...at least initially, if you don't mind. :)

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2014-08-19, 3:50

I bought some Bengali books on Amazon/Kindle. :P :mrgreen:
So, feel free to provide more lessons. :yep:
learning:  (ne)  (sv)  (es-ar)  (hi) (Assamese, Gujarati, Hindi, Telugu)

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2014-08-24, 19:18

TeneReef wrote:I bought some Bengali books on Amazon/Kindle. :P :mrgreen:
So, feel free to provide more lessons. :yep:

Which books?!
अहिंसा

Return to “South Asian Languages”