[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
Tamil: Can I take this chair - UniLang

Tamil: Can I take this chair

Moderators: Meera, vijayjohn

fun2learn

Tamil: Can I take this chair

Postby fun2learn » 2015-02-20, 3:23

How to respond to, "Can I take this chair" in Tamil?
Often, while in a coffee shop in Tamil Nadu, someone will approach me and ask if they can take the chair (like if you are at a small table with 2 chairs by yourself and they want to take the spare chair). I usually I reply with "Amaam", but I would also like to say something additional like, "You may take the chair". No Google translate and feel free to change the wording to something that is usually said in this situation. In other words, don't translate word for word.

boltzmann_brain

Re: Tamil: Can I take this chair

Postby boltzmann_brain » 2015-02-23, 17:39

Amaam is usually not an appropriate response when someone asks you if they can take the spare chair. "Amaam" is not just a yes, but an affirmative response when someone checks with you about the truth value of a statement. Example: oNNum oNNum renduthanE? (isn't one plus one equal to two?). An appropriate response to this is "Amaam". Nee AmericanA? (are you an American?). Response: Amaam.

In the case of the chair, don't say Amaam, but Eduthukkoyen (if the person is younger than you) or edhuthukkongalen (if the person is older), i.e. please take it.

fun2learn

Postby fun2learn » 2015-02-24, 3:58

Thanks, boltzmann_brain (or anyone), can you please type Eduthukkoyen in Tamil?

fun2learn

Postby fun2learn » 2015-02-25, 13:04

Okay, I have எடுத்துக்கோயேன் Eduthukkoyen, now I just need எடுத்துக்கோ??? edhuthukkongalen

fun2learn

Postby fun2learn » 2015-02-27, 10:09

Okay, I have figured out the correct spelling for both of these words. However, I still want confirmation on my Tamil spelling. Also I have added both words to the forvo website and I need a native Tamil speaker to pronounce these words for me. Here are the links to record these words.

http://www.forvo.com/word/எடுத்துக்கோயேன்/

http://www.forvo.com/word/எடுத்துக்கோங்களேன்/

You may have to copy and paste the links.

Romba Nandri

Return to “South Asian Languages”