[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
Help with language identification - UniLang

Help with language identification

Moderator: eskandar

Aviator

Help with language identification

Postby Aviator » 2014-07-09, 10:39

Hello, can someone help me to identify the language, maybe even translate it? It is a message written by a "German" (will explain later) soldier, garrisoned in a nearby village during ww2, for a local priest. Photo is not in the best quality, I am not sure if it is readable, sadly I can't provide better right now.

http://imgur.com/Ua2aZYR,WYla4mp#1
http://imgur.com/Ua2aZYR,WYla4mp#0

The legend among people says, these soldiers were from Vlasov's ROA, which in fact is not true. They were from 1. Ostmuselmanisches SS-Regiment, mostly likely from its 1 Waffengruppe Turkestan. So the "German" soldier was Turkmen, Kyrgyz, or similar.

Thanks for any help.

gvm40

Re: Help with language identification

Postby gvm40 » 2014-07-16, 23:54

My Ottoman Turkish is not great, but I could read the first sentence! It reads "Men Türgistan ādasıdan Dursun" which means "I am Dursun from the Turkestan army". The last word of the first line and the first word of the second line is something like "(A/E)rmkob(?) kenti" which is city of (A/E)rmkob, but I'm not sure what that refers to. The word "kent" (city) appears a few times later on too. The words "kişi" (person) and "anlık" (momentarily) also appear. I'll try to read more and post back. It's a Turkic language for sure; I'm guessing Turkmen considering how bits and pieces I could read are pretty close to Turkish, but I could be mistaken. I'm pretty interested, hopefully someone better than me can decipher the whole thing :)
Fluent: Turkish, English
Learning: German, Ottoman Turkish
On the backburner now: Kazakh, Uyghur, Spanish, French
Eventually want to tackle: Persian, Malay, Swahili

Return to “Turkic Languages”