[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Yoruba (èdè Yorùbá) - UniLang

Yoruba (èdè Yorùbá)

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Yoruba (èdè Yorùbá)

Postby księżycowy » 2011-09-12, 23:30

Well, I've grown fascinated by the languages of Nigeria, Ghana, ect. And as Yoruba is quite an important on I figured why not learn a bit.

And now we learners have a spot to discuss about/in the language. :)

My first road block seems to be the very textbook I'm using (FSI), which doesn't spell all of the tone markers like in the modern orthography (well, it does. but it doesn't). Luckily I've found an online dictionary that isn't half bad, so I think I'll do alright, but I'm still going to post the dialogues/word lists here and hopefully if I've made a mistake someone can come by and fix it.

Here is the textbook I'm using, and the dictionary I've found (use the pdf files).
þūhte mē þæt ic gesāwe syllicre trēow on lyft lædan lēohte bewunden bēama beorhtost.

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Yoruba (èdè Yorùbá)

Postby księżycowy » 2011-09-12, 23:42

And now for Unit One,

Dialogue:
Ṣé dáadáa ni? (How are you?) (dáadáa = dáradára)

A dúpẹ́. ([Fine] thank you)

Ilé ńkó? (And Everyone at home?)

Ilé wà dáadáa. (They are good.)

Ṣé o lọ sọjò ni àna? (Did you go to the market yesterday?) (sọjò = sí + ojò)

Bẹ́ẹ̀ni, mo lọ. (Yes, I went)
þūhte mē þæt ic gesāwe syllicre trēow on lyft lædan lēohte bewunden bēama beorhtost.

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2011-09-15, 13:38

Putting my Yoruba studies on hold for now. Sorry people.
I may still try to post the dialogues with the updated orthography though.

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2011-09-15, 19:30

I'm very glad to see that someone has taken an interest in Yoruba. :D

I am also studying it, although mostly Lukumi Yoruba which is centuries old and used liturgically. I hope to enter the priesthood, God, the Orishas and Eggun willing.

Some corrections, mostly with tones. I've put the correct forms in red:
Ṣé dáadáa ni? (How are you?) (dáadáa = dáradára)

A dúpẹ́. ([Fine] thank you)

Ilé ńkọ́? (And Everyone at home?)

Ilé wà dáadáa. (They are good.)

Ṣé o lọ s'ọ́jà lánàá? (Did you go to the market yesterday?) (sọ́jà = sí +ọjà)

Bẹ́ẹ̀ni, mo lọ. (Yes, I went)
Actively learning: ImageImageOn the back burner but in love with:ImageImage A life-long endeavor: Image

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2011-09-16, 0:18

Yup. African languages are just as fascinating as the rest of 'em! :wink:

And thanks for the corrections. I'll post some more this weekend.
I figured most of the corrections would be with the tones.
Though I'm curious about this correction:
s'ọ́jà lánàá

Of course I understand that my book is a bit old, and uses the old orthography, but it does represent lánàá as both lánàá (in pronunciation) and ni àná (in spelling). Is that to be written more phonetically now?
Also, is that an apostrophe there in sọ́jà? Is it for the contraction?

I'm thinking about getting Colloquial Yoruba, so I don't have to worry about the orthography changes, but that probably won't be for a few weeks.

And that's pretty cool that you want to be in the priesthood. I have a deep interest in religious studies and philosophy myself. Am I to assume you're talking about the traditional Yoruba religion? Or something else? [Not to be nosy :para: ]

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2011-09-16, 18:14

I've seen ni àná in religious contexts, like oriki praise songs to the Orishas, but I had never seen it in modern Yoruba, so I assumed it was archaic. :? I can't be sure though. I will try to ask a priest that I know who was initiated in Nigeria and lived in Yorubaland for quite a while. I do know that both Colloquial and the Hippocrene books use lánàá to my memory. And yes, the apostrophe is for the contraction - it's standard to write them when words are contracted. I highly recommend Colloquial Yoruba though. I'm a horrible language nerd of course so I have many of the Colloquial books, and I consider it to be the second best Colloquial book out there - Amharic is the best of the series, and Somali is also spectacular. Good news for African language resources, eh? ;)
You're not being nosy. I practice Lucumi (Santeria). It's a traditional Yoruba religion, but not what is generally called "Traditional Yoruba", because that developed differently than the Caribbean priesthoods did in the time after the 1600s.
Actively learning: ImageImageOn the back burner but in love with:ImageImage A life-long endeavor: Image

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2011-09-16, 20:35

That's very interesting! Thanks for sharing! :)
I'm mostly knowledgeable in Christianity. But I find it very interesting that there are religions of African (and the diaspora) that are hanging on as well.

And I think that decides it. I'll wait to get Colloquial Yoruba. I have both Amharic and Somali, and they are very good indeed! And I've actually seen a copy of Yoruba and leafed through it. It does look quite good.

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2011-09-17, 6:16

księżycowy wrote:That's very interesting! Thanks for sharing! :)
I'm mostly knowledgeable in Christianity. But I find it very interesting that there are religions of African (and the diaspora) that are hanging on as well.

Oh yes, the Orisha cults are definitely alive and well throughout the Diaspora. In Cuba, there are more active practitioners of Lucumi than there are active Catholics. :lol: Lucumi is also very popular on the other islands in the Caribbean, especially Puerto Rico. Brazil is also a large center of Yoruba religion - they have many forms, Candomblé (which in turn has many branches too), Umbanda, Macumba, Quimbanda, etc. And in other places there are lesser known cults like Shango in Trinidad. Most of these religions also share some sort of belief in Ifa and the priesthood of Orunmila, which is the orisha of divination. In each of these places, the ancestral cults, which are separate, have also developed differently. And of course, everywhere there has been immigration to has also come into contact with the religions. Los Angeles, for example, has a ton of botanicas, which are supply stores for Lucumi.

I definitely think you should buy a copy of Colloquial Yoruba to support the writer and publisher when you can, but in the meantime, like anything else, it is downloadable... http://uz-translations.net/?category=afraudvid-african&altname=colloquial_yorubabookcds. The site also has other Yoruba resources that are tough to get a hold of.

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2011-09-17, 12:24

Sisyphe wrote:
Oh yes, the Orisha cults are definitely alive and well throughout the Diaspora. In Cuba, there are more active practitioners of Lucumi than there are active Catholics. :lol: Lucumi is also very popular on the other islands in the Caribbean, especially Puerto Rico. Brazil is also a large center of Yoruba religion - they have many forms, Candomblé (which in turn has many branches too), Umbanda, Macumba, Quimbanda, etc. And in other places there are lesser known cults like Shango in Trinidad. Most of these religions also share some sort of belief in Ifa and the priesthood of Orunmila, which is the orisha of divination. In each of these places, the ancestral cults, which are separate, have also developed differently. And of course, everywhere there has been immigration to has also come into contact with the religions. Los Angeles, for example, has a ton of botanicas, which are supply stores for Lucumi.

One again, very interesting. :)

I definitely think you should buy a copy of Colloquial Yoruba to support the writer and publisher when you can, but in the meantime, like anything else, it is downloadable... http://uz-translations.net/?category=afraudvid-african&altname=colloquial_yorubabookcds. The site also has other Yoruba resources that are tough to get a hold of.

Though I wouldn't normally admit this, I already downloaded the audio and the book. :lol: I'll keep the audio to make a copy of, and just leaf through the pdf. I do plan on buying the book rightfully.

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2011-10-20, 14:27

I've just decided to give Yoruba a try during the few days I'm on vacation.
Being born in the Brazilian state of Bahia, I grew up listening to lots of songs from the so-called "axé music" genre, especially those composed by Carlinhos Brown, which contain several Yoruba words I could never understood and which I always thought to be random words. Now words like oba and ile start to make sense in context!

I listened to FSI's introduction yday but then I read here that it uses the old orthography. Question is: is there a rule of thumb to go from that orthography to current one? I have Colloquial Yoruba and Beginner's Yoruba for obvious reasons but I don't like the way lessons are structured in these two, I'd rather have a background before following up on them.

The best book I've found so far for this introduction is the old TY Yoruba from 1969, but I assume it also uses the same old orthography as FSI, right?

So, what are our options? I do believe there's more on Yoruba outside. Anything from DLI?

As for the new TY Yoruba, how's it like? I only have the audio.
Learning Georgian, Mandarin Chinese, Russian and Papiamentu from scratch. Trying to brush up my Norwegian up to an advanced level.

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2011-10-20, 18:52

I love FSI too. And I'm having the same problem. What are your thoughts Sisyphe?
If we could convert from the one orthography to the new one that'd be great. The only thing I could think of sort of that would be to use a dictionary (such as the one I linked to before) to convert.

As for DLI or TY, no idea myself.

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2011-10-20, 19:10

TY Yoruba is more like a grammar reference, though very useful. The audio from 1993 serves well the edition from 1969. You know where to find both of them.

I don't know if there's a DLI, I just remember having more "FSI-like" materials at home than the one you can find at FSI site, hence me wondering.
Learning Georgian, Mandarin Chinese, Russian and Papiamentu from scratch. Trying to brush up my Norwegian up to an advanced level.

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2011-10-20, 19:31

E}{pugnator wrote:TY Yoruba is more like a grammar reference, though very useful.

Sounds about right for early TY.

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2012-09-18, 12:25

Just found a free pdf/audio course from the University of Texas, it looks pretty good too! You can even get a print copy and cd if you want.
http://coerll.utexas.edu/yemi/

Bijlee

Postby Bijlee » 2013-04-28, 17:02

Anyone know any good Yoruba songs?
I only seem to be able to find these auto-tune Christian pop/hip-hop songs- I'm not getting in to them :P

I know of one Yoruba song by Faun. At least I think it's Yoruba. I don't really trust it because the band is German so I don't know how good the Yoruba in it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8kW7bTCNlw

Bijlee

Postby Bijlee » 2013-04-29, 20:49

Trebor

Postby Trebor » 2013-05-27, 19:34

I'm interested in Yoruba, since it's so exotic and widely spoken. But the tone feature looks daunting:

http://www.lingref.com/cpp/acal/36/paper1415.pdf

Apparently the language also has some kind of vowel harmony, and I'm concerned that this element could be more than a little problematic for an English speaker like myself.

To those learning Yoruba: what obstacles did you face and how do you suggest one handle them?
- Native: English
- Intermediate/Advanced: French, Arabic
- Beginner: Somali, Kinyarwanda
- Interested in: Yoruba, Azerbaijani, Uzbek

Trebor

Postby Trebor » 2013-05-28, 16:19

księżycowy wrote:Just found a free pdf/audio course from the University of Texas, it looks pretty good too! You can even get a print copy and cd if you want.
http://coerll.utexas.edu/yemi/

This does look promising. For some reason, though, I was only able to find the audio part. If I could get a direct link to the 300+-page book in its entirety, I'd be on my way to tackling this language. :)

Edit: Typo fixed. Also, I was able to go into the HTML code for the web page and grab the links there. My screenreading program couldn't detect them on the normal view since everything is in some kind of table form.

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2013-05-29, 20:37

The pdf links are listed under "Chapters" heading. There really isn't one single pdf to download for it, but I might be able to make one for you if you need it.

Trebor

Postby Trebor » 2013-05-30, 0:20

księżycowy wrote:The pdf links are listed under "Chapters" heading. There really isn't one single pdf to download for it, but I might be able to make one for you if you need it.

Ahh, the issue has actually been resolved (please see the "Edit: ..." paragraph of my last post), but thank you nonetheless!

I'd like to know if there are any high-quality Yoruba grammars out there. (I've seen a couple titles but would like the input of UniLang.)

Return to “African Indigenous Languages”