[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
Yiddish - ײדיש - Page 6 - UniLang

Yiddish - ײדיש

Any language which does not have a specific forum can have a thread made for it here.
ILuvEire
Link Moderator

Re: Yiddish - ײדיש

Postby ILuvEire » 2012-05-14, 1:12

You've come to the right place, libling.
http://www.yiddishpoetry.org/ Does what it says on the tin.
http://mendele.commons.yale.edu/wp/ Mendele, a email list.
http://www.yv.org/ Dos Yiddishe Kol / The Yiddish Voice, a Yiddish radio program.
http://yiddish.forward.com/ Forverts, the Yiddish version of the popular leftist, Jewish magazine, Forward.
http://www.leagueforyiddish.org/ishi.html Afn Shvel, a generic Yiddish magazine with some good articles.
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

Brus

Postby Brus » 2013-04-28, 22:18

I'm trying to figure out something from the movie "Yentl".

After Yentl has first disguised herself as Amshel, gone out and taken a ferry across a river, she sees a sign. The top part in Polish says Koszerna Karczma (Kosher Inn) but there's some Yiddish below it.

I think I've been able to figure out the last couple lines as "kosher hostelry and inn" but not the first line, which seems to be two words:

שמעון ‏ כלעכער

However, the sign is weatherbeaten, so I could have misinterpreted some letters. It's also not clear that it's two separate words. Is it a proper name (of the innkeeper) or does someone recognize what it means? It may not be standard orthography. The word for "inn" had an aleph rather than a hey at the end.

Babelfish
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Babelfish » 2013-05-03, 16:59

שמעון (Shim'on) is a Hebrew given name, so I'd guess it's indeed the innkeeper name with כלעכער (klekher or khlekher) being the surname.
Native languages: Hebrew (he) & English (en)

מן המקום בו אנו צודקים לא יפרחו לעולם פרחים באביב (יהודה עמיחי)
From the place where we are in the right, flowers will never grow in the spring (Yhuda Amihay)

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2013-07-26, 16:40

Do you like yiddish (folk) songs ??? I think they are amazing.... and full of melancholy reasonably

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8VQz69Id7c
Native:  (sk)  (cs)
Advanced (C1):  (us)
Intermediate(B1): (fr)
Level Bet:  (he)

Babelfish
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Babelfish » 2013-07-26, 20:03

Not quite my type of music, but it is beautiful. And while I don't know the language, it's fun to recognize the occasional Hebrew word as in "my zikoren" (my memory, Hebrew זכרון)
Native languages: Hebrew (he) & English (en)

מן המקום בו אנו צודקים לא יפרחו לעולם פרחים באביב (יהודה עמיחי)
From the place where we are in the right, flowers will never grow in the spring (Yhuda Amihay)

flutist319

Postby flutist319 » 2013-08-19, 22:14

I've been wanting to teach myself some Yiddish for a while now, and got the Weinreich College Yiddish textbook out of my university library. The one thing I'm not sure about is how to learn the alphabet: anything YIVO-related (including this) is going to teach the pronunciation of the Litvak dialect, right? All else being equal, I'd rather learn Galizianer pronunciation (as that's what my ancestors spoke -- the few phrases I know are things like "shoyn git"). But maybe just following the textbook (and YIVO) is a better idea?

Viridzen

Postby Viridzen » 2014-02-23, 1:26

I'd like someone to help me with Yiddish. It's really annoying me that I'm almost done with Sheva Zucker's book's first volume, I use the language a lot, and I still don't feel proficient enough. It's mostly with the vocabulary; if I'm given the vocabulary, I can converse effectively. But, I have a hard time keeping it in. Also, some structures confuse me: passive voice, any way to translate -ing verbs, etc...
Please, correct my errors. S'il vous plaît, corrigez mes erreurs.
C2:  (en) B1: Focusing on:  (fr) (A2),  (got)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-03-12, 4:15

I'm reading David Marcus' A land not theirs, a fictional account of the Jewish community in Cork and his transcriptions of Yiddish words and phrases are idiosyncratic, to say the least. The speakers originated in Akmenė/אקמעיאן ("Akmeyon", in Marcus' transcription) near the Latvian border.

In any case, he glosses "Vos iz de meisa mit mir?" as "What is wrong with me?" I'm baffled by the word meisa. Anyone know what the standard form of this might be? Elsewhere, he writes greisa for גרויסער, which would lead me to expect something like *מױסער, but I can find anything corresponding to this in my reference sources.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Return to “Other Languages”