[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Series on TV or the Internet - Page 20 - UniLang

Series on TV or the Internet

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderators: Car, Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Global Moderators

Johanna

Re: Series on TV or the Internet

Postby Johanna » 2013-09-26, 19:16

Iván wrote:I have recently started to watch Bron/Broen. Needless to say that it's such a great serie. I really like it. However, I would like to ask something: Do Danish people really understand Swedish people? It seems there's no language barrier between them.

I know these languages are very close, but they never seem to doubt while talking to each other in the series.

The language barrier usually disappears almost completely with exposure, but it takes time and most can't pick it up from TV and radio only. Or at least most Swedes can't learn to understand Danish almost perfectly that way, I don't know about Danes and Swedish, but Swedish TV in Denmark doesn't seem to be a huge thing so it doesn't really matter.

Anyway, this means that people living in Scania usually get far more exposure to Copenhagen Danish than Danes do to the sort of Swedish TV accent that the female lead uses, instead what they usually hear is Swedish with a Scanian accent, which is much closer to Danish itself.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting.

meidei

Postby meidei » 2013-09-26, 19:28

:? I like the story, but they keep showing realistic corpses :/ And they keep showing the corpses in the lower 3rd of the screen, where the subtitles are (hm, I need to check if my TV has a setting for that).

(on the other hand, realistic sex and non-sexualised nudity are probably a more healthy portrayal of those things than what I am used to see on TV)
Knows:Cypriot Standard Greek & Cypriot Spoken Greek (el-cy)| (en)|Standard Greek - Greece's Written Standard (el)
Attempting:  (tr) (sgn-CY)
Resuming shorty: (fr)
Forgetting: (ja)

Iván
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Iván » 2013-09-26, 19:39

Johanna wrote:The language barrier usually disappears almost completely with exposure, but it takes time and most can't pick it up from TV and radio only. Or at least most Swedes can't learn to understand Danish almost perfectly that way, I don't know about Danes and Swedish, but Swedish TV in Denmark doesn't seem to be a huge thing so it doesn't really matter.

Anyway, this means that people living in Scania usually get far more exposure to Copenhagen Danish than Danes do to the sort of Swedish TV accent that the female lead uses, instead what they usually hear is Swedish with a Scanian accent, which is much closer to Danish itself.

The closer to Denmark, the better you understand Danish, right? It's pretty curious to watch the series and realise they can easily hold a conversation in their own languages without problems.
Minkä nuorena oppii, sen vanhana taitaa.

Johanna

Postby Johanna » 2013-09-26, 20:34

Iván wrote:The closer to Denmark, the better you understand Danish, right? It's pretty curious to watch the series and realise they can easily hold a conversation in their own languages without problems.

The genuine dialects of southernmost Sweden aren't actually Swedish, they're East Danish, so yeah. Not that many people still speak one, but their regional Standard Swedish is still influenced by them and on top of that they get Danish TV in at least western Scania but probably in the entire county (which is the same as the province, bar a tiny, tiny area in the north-westernmost part), and there are lots and lots of people living in Scania and working in Denmark, most of them are Swedes, but not that few are Danes who wanted to take advantage of the generally lower prices on the Swedish side of the strait, which means that most people in western Scania probably, and people living in Malmö definitely, have to deal with Danes on a regular basis without even setting foot on Danish soil.

But once you get out of Scania, the comprehension drops like a rock. Sure, it's slightly better closer to that province than further away from it, but not by much.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting.

Varislintu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Varislintu » 2013-09-27, 8:04

meidei wrote::? I like the story, but they keep showing realistic corpses :/ And they keep showing the corpses in the lower 3rd of the screen, where the subtitles are (hm, I need to check if my TV has a setting for that).

(on the other hand, realistic sex and non-sexualised nudity are probably a more healthy portrayal of those things than what I am used to see on TV)

Hehe, when watching the Swedish series I often thought "Well, that won't be happening in the American remake". :P And I think I was largely right, although I missed some of the American episodes.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Strigo

Postby Strigo » 2013-10-05, 22:06

Where can I watch this Broen/Bron series with English subtitles?
Aquí es donde traduzco diariamente música israelí del hebreo al español

[flag]cl[/flag] native; [flag]en[/flag] fluent; [flag]il[/flag] lower advanced ; [flag]pt-BR[/flag] read fluently, understand well, speak not so badly (specially after some Itaipava); recently focusing on [flag]sv[/flag][flag]ar[/flag] and I promised myself to finish my [flag]ru[/flag] New Penguin Russian Course: A Complete Course for Beginners in less than a month (12/oct/2013). Wants to wake up one day speaking [flag]ka[/flag][flag]lt[/flag] and any Turkic language.

Патрислав Андреевич

Postby Патрислав Андреевич » 2013-10-05, 22:19

Personally I have downloaded it from torrents, but I am aware it's not quite legal to post the links here so I will not. :whistle:

I must say I really liked the series. I started being curious about that whole Danish/Swedish comprehension, and how will it sound... but after the first episode I already knew I want to watch it for the story as well, which is really great. :wink:

Also, after watching Bron|Broen, and then checking the American counterpart I was.. disappointed. Compared to the original it looked cheap and trashy, although it's only my subjective opinion.
Last edited by Yserenhart on 2013-10-06, 0:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed name of torrent site.
„Miej serce i patrzaj w serce!” — Adam Mickiewicz

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-10-09, 19:26

I'm still a little pissy that the Breaking Bad Facebook page posted a spoiler of the ending. (Luckily for others, they removed it after an outcry.) I suppose I should blame myself for being so beholden to my friends' availability to watch it (Then again, if I'd been free to watch it whenever, I'd be failing a couple of classes by now.) and for being on social media at all. I still want to finish the series, but not with nearly as much appetite.

Marah
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Marah » 2013-10-09, 19:27

Shit, that sucks. :?
It's not the first time that an official facebook page spoils a series...
Par exemple, l'enfant croit au Père Noël. L'adulte non. L'adulte ne croit pas au Père Noël. Il vote.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2013-10-09, 19:39

And I thought it was bad that some users on the youngest legal German VOD site's Facebook page spoilt things in the comments section when they presented the last episode (they made the episodes available two days after the US airdates). That already led to lots of angry reactions from other users.
I know why I'm careful about reading stuff about series I'm watching, but I've had it a couple of times when I wasn't watching rugby live. I did make sure not to check the sites, but then logged into Facebook, completely forgetting that I liked several of the sites there and naturally, they post about the matches. Not getting to know the scores here is so easy, but of course I'm too stupid for that. :roll:
Please correct my mistakes!

meidei

Postby meidei » 2013-10-09, 19:44

I think that people overreact to spoilers :/ Maybe a couple of hours after broadcast is too soon, I won't say otherwise.
But I was at several times scolded for not considering the 1st series of (new) Doctor Who as spoiler-able. Excuse me, but when that first aired, I was in middle school. Maybe it should not be considered spoiler-able in 2012.
Knows:Cypriot Standard Greek & Cypriot Spoken Greek (el-cy)| (en)|Standard Greek - Greece's Written Standard (el)

meidei

Postby meidei » 2013-11-05, 10:14

It's been years since I last watched an anime series, but I accidentally saw Yowamushi Pedal on 1channel.
It's cliché as fuck, basically OoFuri but with biking, but its awkward humour makes me happy, and that's a rare thing nowadays :D

Katrinise

Postby Katrinise » 2013-11-14, 5:45

I'm currently obsessing about these Korean Dramas, they're not so bad :)
I'm done with Gentlemen's Dignity and now I'm watching Scent of Woman

meidei

Postby meidei » 2013-11-16, 15:37

Me and a handful of other DW fans were excited we would get to watch the Doctor Who DD50 special live on TV, because one of us has cable and they get BBC Entertainment Europe, but it turns out BBC Entertainment Europe is the only global BBC channel not to show it. BBC Latin America, BBC Asia, BBC Africa, BBC America are showing it.
For Europe, BBC decided to propose the broadcasting rights to each country's biggest broadcaster. And of course only France, Germany, Finland and Turkey cared to buy them. Turkey's CNBC-e would be receiveable on satellite for free but none has access to a sat dish installation in time.
Will probably resort to webstreaming, hoping that servers won't disconnect as every 5 minutes.

meidei

Postby meidei » 2013-11-23, 22:45

We did get to watch it after all, with some jiggery pokery BBC's iPlayer works well on my tiny XBMC box.
The episode was great. My and the girls I've watching it with agreed that it might took him 3 years, but Moffat finally learnt how to write. I was happy to see the script remain faithful and make reference to the past 50 years.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2013-12-03, 1:28

I'm really into Bones and Sleepy Hollow(I love those two shows), I also wath Republic of Doyle(Canadian show), Hawai'i(as it is properly spelled) Five-0, the Blacklist, Elementary, and whenever I can, Star Trek(original series mind you).

Can't wait for Sleepy Hollow tonight, at least I hope a new one is on. And the Blacklist too.
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

meidei

Postby meidei » 2013-12-13, 23:30

Just watched a documentary from the American PBS network, called "Japan's About Face".
It's a (somehow dated) documentary about Japan's Army (JSDF). Man, that was horrible.
Not the documentary, PBS seems to be doing a great work. The content.
It's no secret that I have an antipathy for the military, but I had thought that even marginally, a volunteer army, like the JSDF, it's a better compromise.
Turns out, not really. 18 year olds still go into the military for purely financial reasons (too poor to go to an university), and rich businessmen advocate for more military deployment "for market stability reasons".
I mean, save that JSDF operates technically as a University, because Japan has a pacifist constitution, it's just an army that exploits poor people for the benefit of businessmen. Just like here. If you are poor, you can't dodge conscription. If your parents are rich, or if rich people had interest in you not being in the army (eg, you are a footballer), then you can dodge conscription, or serve without spending more than 5% of the service time actually serving. That last one is even better deal, because if it looks like you served, you won't be banned from various things like getting a drivers' license. But even those who dodge it, already have the influence to get a drivers' license without presenting a proof they served in the army.
So in general, the poor will have to serve. Refusing would be futile.

Aóristos
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Aóristos » 2013-12-14, 9:26

Koko wrote:I'm really into Bones and Sleepy Hollow(I love those two shows), I also wath Republic of Doyle(Canadian show), Hawai'i(as it is properly spelled) Five-0, the Blacklist, Elementary, and whenever I can, Star Trek(original series mind you).

Can't wait for Sleepy Hollow tonight, at least I hope a new one is on. And the Blacklist too.

I watched the first 3 episodes of Sleepy Hollow, but I've since fallen behind. It's hard to get myself to watch new shows.

On the other hand, I've recently gotten into The Big Bang Theory. Love the hell outta that show.
Native: American English (en-us) Pizzonese Neapolitan (nap) | Advanced: [none…] | Intermediate: Greek (el) Mexican Spanish (es-mx) Italian (it) Persian (fa) Brazilian Portuguese (pt-br) French (passive) (fr)
Starting: Polish (pl) Urdu (ur) Azerbaijani (az) | Future: Attic Greek (grc) Romanian (ro) Irish (ga) Sicilian (scn) Modern Standard Arabic (ar-arb)

meidei

Postby meidei » 2013-12-26, 18:33

Watched last night's DW special. God, that was bad. I am not even going to bother making sense of it. Christmas specials are always horrible, though that was a regeneration episode so they really should had shown more care.

But those last few seconds, god :lol: Capaldi is already a great Doctor.

meidei

Postby meidei » 2014-01-27, 8:53

Me and my friend became hooked on the Swedish sci-fi series "Äkta människor" (Real Humans).
We watched the first three episodes last night, and we were bummed when the 4th wasn't done downloading before we went to sleep.
It's a great series, though it's very noticeable that it's huge of tropes basically lifted from AI and I-Robot etc.
But I am convinced that the producers didn't do a scifi for the sake of scifi, like in more mainstream series. Instead, they used the scifi setting as in the classics, to discuss our societies.
As an example:the creepy teenager's attempt to rape their housekeeping self-conscious robot makes you feel as disturbed as you should feel when someone's trying to rape their employees.

Return to “Culture”