[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Series on TV or the Internet - Page 21 - UniLang

Series on TV or the Internet

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderators: Car, Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Global Moderators

Varislintu
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Series on TV or the Internet

Postby Varislintu » 2014-01-27, 9:57

meidei wrote:Me and my friend became hooked on the Swedish sci-fi series "Äkta människor" (Real Humans).
We watched the first three episodes last night, and we were bummed when the 4th wasn't done downloading before we went to sleep.
It's a great series, though it's very noticeable that it's huge of tropes basically lifted from AI and I-Robot etc.
But I am convinced that the producers didn't do a scifi for the sake of scifi, like in more mainstream series. Instead, they used the scifi setting as in the classics, to discuss our societies.
As an example:the creepy teenager's attempt to rape their housekeeping self-conscious robot makes you feel as disturbed as you should feel when someone's trying to rape their employees.

I watched some of that series, but I didn't become hooked. It was good, though.

The second season of Grimm started here and I find myself actually tuning in to it. I find it so hard to connect to TV-series nowadays, but I actually like this one. It has an old-school feel to it, like from before series started to be like Lost or Dexter.

(I watched Lost avidly, but the lack of conclusion in it also kind of burned me from this entire style of series. The worst example of this new style that I've come across has to be American Horror Story. Never in my life have I tried watching something that frustrating. :lol: )
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Fox Saint-Just

Postby Fox Saint-Just » 2014-01-27, 14:43

I'm watching the Masters of Horror episodes I missed when it aired on TV. Some are trashy, but others are really good. I especially liked Cigarette Burns, Family and The Black Cat.
Native:  (it)  (egl) B2:  (en) Intermediate:  (de)  (fr) Curious about:  (ru)  (hy)  (eu)  (nah)  (ga)  (sr)
 (art) Currently developing Ardlang: http://www.unilang.org/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=40076.

languagepotato

Postby languagepotato » 2014-01-27, 14:54

i'm watching bewitched (the accents they speak in are adorable)

and i'm also watching switched at birth, i'm at the prom-inviting episode

and i think i'm gonna watch plus belle la vie.
Motivation is the key to succes but without effort you'll never find its lock.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2014-01-27, 17:11

I loved Real Humans, too bad arte pushed back the broadcast date for series 2. :(

American series too often don't have proper endings, it seems. I love serials, but I can understand why many don't watch them at all seeing how often they leave you disappointed when it's over.
Please correct my mistakes!

Iván
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Iván » 2014-01-27, 17:44

I watched the penultimate episode of American Horror Story. Who is the next Supreme? I think Fiona is gonna kill'em all
Minkä nuorena oppii, sen vanhana taitaa.

Varislintu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Varislintu » 2014-02-27, 11:54

So for some reason I recently started watching Fringe. I think it's been running for a couple seasons at least, and I've only ever watched a couple of seconds in passing. But now it somehow finally caught my interest. What caught me was the way the lead guy and lead woman behave. They're so... equally capable and both a bit cynical (well they've just lost close ones, and grieving that). They're technically in a relationship, but it doesn't involve constant mutual rescuing or personal drama. They both go around doing things independently.

I don't know if I've just tuned in on a few episodes that appeal to me or if the whole series has been like this.

EDIT: Ah, this seems to be the final season, the one I started watching. Great. :lol: I guess I could try watching it from the beginning even though I'm a bit spoiled now. :)
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2014-02-27, 13:43

I still want to watch that, if I didn't spend so much time surfing, I might have started by now...

I'm currently watching the Belgian series Salamander and ask myself why I didn't start earlier. I already had the impression I was good when I checked if the recordings were working and I love it.

The Wikipedia article mentions there'll be a remake. Does everything need a remake these days, especially so soon? :roll:

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-03-02, 16:37

Car wrote:Does everything need a remake these days, especially so soon? :roll:
I know! It only came out 27 years ago.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2014-03-03, 16:52

mōdgethanc wrote:
Car wrote:Does everything need a remake these days, especially so soon? :roll:
I know! It only came out 27 years ago.

Huh? Salamander was broacast in 2012.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-03-03, 17:57

Car wrote:Huh? Salamander was broacast in 2012.
I was making a joke.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2014-03-03, 19:13

mōdgethanc wrote:
Car wrote:Huh? Salamander was broacast in 2012.
I was making a joke.

How should I have been able to tell?

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-03-03, 20:34

Car wrote:How should I have been able to tell?
My avatar.

JuxtapositionQMan

Postby JuxtapositionQMan » 2014-03-14, 19:32

I liked that joke. :wink:
I'm currently bingewatching Eureka. 'S a fun show.
Well, that was a thing.
speak:  (en) (eo)
learning:  (fr) (de) (ru) (pt) (es) (ro) (art-jbo)
hiatus:  (fi) (it) (la) (wa) (sv) (eu) (zh.Hans) (is)
want to learn:  (fo) (be) (ko) (he) (sw) (hi) (tr) (nl) (cy) (hu)

Outerman

Postby Outerman » 2014-03-26, 19:52

Varislintu wrote:So for some reason I recently started watching Fringe. I think it's been running for a couple seasons at least, and I've only ever watched a couple of seconds in passing. But now it somehow finally caught my interest. What caught me was the way the lead guy and lead woman behave. They're so... equally capable and both a bit cynical (well they've just lost close ones, and grieving that). They're technically in a relationship, but it doesn't involve constant mutual rescuing or personal drama. They both go around doing things independently.

I don't know if I've just tuned in on a few episodes that appeal to me or if the whole series has been like this.

EDIT: Ah, this seems to be the final season, the one I started watching. Great. :lol: I guess I could try watching it from the beginning even though I'm a bit spoiled now. :)

I was watching Fringe, and loved it so much. However, I lost interested on the season before the last. It just didn't make sense at some point and got all confusing. However Sanctuary, was so interesting at the beginning and then just tapered out.

My favourite right now would be Helix, but that seems like a one season show.
Hi :)

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-03-27, 2:49

Real Humans sounds interesting even if it is a rehash of themes that have been thoroughly explored before (Blade Runner comes to mind, especially since there is a scene in that movie that is uncomfortably rapey).

I've heard American Horror Story is great for the first season and awful afterward.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2014-03-27, 8:05

It's over... No more Psych ever. :cry:
     Native:  (en-US)
Advanced:  (eu)
 Learning:  (la)

Varislintu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Varislintu » 2014-03-27, 11:32

mōdgethanc wrote:I've heard American Horror Story is great for the first season and awful afterward.

My problem with these "modern" type of series is that to me, they feel like a really melodramatic "personal issues" fest thinly veiled in some kind of "speculative fiction-y" setting. I mean, take one of the first ones, Lost. Those people were on a mysterious island and yet most of the drama and plot circled around who liked whom and who didn't tell who what. The weirdest ass stuff is happening around them and they barely even react to it (okay, in Lost this problem wasn't as pronounced). They never discuss anything with each other, and half the suspense is about when will X finally tell Y about this or that. And towards the end of Lost, it becomes more and more clear that the writers cared a lot more about setting up personal tensions between the characters (relatively easy) than spending mental energy on building the world and coming up with reasons for the stange events (relatively hard).

American Horror Story, to me, seemed to take this to whole new level. The family lived in a freaking haunted house, and they were like "OMG, who's cheating on me and I hate person X so much!". They spent entire episodes in the beginning barely noticing anything was wrong and especially not reacting to it. Perhaps it got better later on, but I have no patience for that kind of string-along anymore...

I want to watch series where interpersonal issues, if there are such as major plotlines, actually progress at a reasonable pace. I don't want to watch spe-fi where the characters' personal history and baggage is the gallon of bland ice cream that I have to chug through and the spe-fi events are just a the little cherry on top.

I've been watching Grimm, and as I mentioned a while ago on this thread, it's pleasantly old-school for the most part. But recently, in the beginning of this season (season 2? 3?), they continued down this plotline where none of the characters would tell one of the characters what was going on. And they've spun that for over one season now already. It makes less and less sense, and it's annoying. I don't like being manipulated, and I feel the script writers are trying to manipulate me into feeling suspense over this issue. They just draaaag and draaaag it out. :tired:
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2014-03-27, 13:51

Varislintu wrote:My problem with these "modern" type of series is that to me, they feel like a really melodramatic "personal issues" fest thinly veiled in some kind of "speculative fiction-y" setting.

I agree, although I mostly see it in American productions (probably also due to the higher number of episodes of network series). It's one of the reasons I prefer British, Scandinavian and lately also Austrian (!) series. I really don't care about all this private talk that doesn't have anything to do with the main story.

Even in The Americans which only has 13 episodes per series, there's so much making out between the characters and other private stuff. It really seems as if a large part is about the main people having sex with each other/ cheating or discussions in the families about the most trivial topics possible. :P

I really should quit series earlier and not just continue because others like it. E.g. I gave Sleepy Hollow another chance because I was encouraged to, but it was as meh as the previous episodes. There's so much I want to watch and do, I really don't have the time to watch stuff that drags things out forever.

Varislintu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Varislintu » 2014-03-27, 14:51

Car wrote:
Varislintu wrote:My problem with these "modern" type of series is that to me, they feel like a really melodramatic "personal issues" fest thinly veiled in some kind of "speculative fiction-y" setting.

I agree, although I mostly see it in American productions (probably also due to the higher number of episodes of network series). It's one of the reasons I prefer British, Scandinavian and lately also Austrian (!) series. I really don't care about all this private talk that doesn't have anything to do with the main story.

You're right, it's mostly in American productions. I hadn't thought about the episode amount as a reason for it before, but that makes sense. Personal drama is a very easy to produce filler for any type of series.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2014-03-27, 17:31

Varislintu wrote:You're right, it's mostly in American productions. I hadn't thought about the episode amount as a reason for it before, but that makes sense. Personal drama is a very easy to produce filler for any type of series.

It can't be the budget since that's usually more limited elsewhere, but it's simply easier to have enough material for 8 to 12 episodes, if not fewer (even if they last an hour) than 22 or so. In the US, you also have back orders and extensions which originally weren't planned and especially the latter case leads to a lot of fillers (just think of FlashForward or Under the Dome where they added more episodes after their initial success, leading to many filler episodes).

Return to “Culture”