[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Which movie(s) have you watched lately? - Page 52 - UniLang

Which movie(s) have you watched lately?

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderators: Car, Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Global Moderators

linguoboy

Re: Which movie(s) have you watched lately?

Postby linguoboy » 2014-07-31, 19:22

mōdgethanc wrote:David Cronenberg's Naked Lunch. Definitely weird, but better than I remembered from seeing it on TV when I was a teenager. I maintain that the book is a piece of trash, but I respect Cronenberg for taking its nonsensical plot and managing to turn it into a watchable film.

I still resent the way he de-queered the protagonist.

Aóristos wrote:A Separation.

What did you think?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-07-31, 19:30

linguoboy wrote:I still resent the way he de-queered the protagonist.
Sort of. The book is a lot more explicit in its homoeroticism, but in the film he does come to realize he's queer and there's a scene near the end that implies he had sex with a gay character. I missed all of that the first time around.

Varislintu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Varislintu » 2014-08-01, 8:32

Snowpiercer. :mrgreen:

It was a very symbolic movie, and that's the way you need to approach it, because it's not very realistic. :P But yeah, absolute power sure does corrupt absolutely.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-08-01, 19:02

I wanna watch that even though it has a really dumb premise. I suspect it'll turn out something like Cloud Atlas did.

The last thing I watched was A Company Man (회사원), a Korean action thriller. (I seem to be watching a lot of those lately.) It starts as more of a suspense film and then turns into an ultraviolent "heroic bloodshed" revenge flick. This is the movie I wanted Oldboy to be.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2014-08-01, 22:20

"The Guardians of the Galaxy". I had a lot of fun watching this movie. Marvel's recent films have been sci-fi/action movies with comedic elements, but this movie feels like a comedy with sci-fi/action elements. And apparently, there isn't a moment that can't be made more fun with an 80s pop song. That said, the film doesn't always seem comfortable with its all-fun-all-the-time formula; a couple scenes aim for social commentary or emotional depth, but end up making some awkward and unsettling implications. The scenes could have come out very well, but the makers should have committed to making them work, rather than leaving them half-baked.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-08-01, 23:14

I almost saw that last night and I'm glad I didn't in hindsight because it looks really, really dumb. Science fiction and comedy are two genres that just don't go together well.

Lazar Taxon

Postby Lazar Taxon » 2014-08-02, 3:14

Idunno. I loved Futurama and the TV version of Red Dwarf, but on the other hand I think Spaceballs is one of Mel Brooks's worst movies.
Native:  (en-us) Good:  (es)  (fr) Okay:  (de)  (la) Beginning:  (it) Interested in:  (he)  (hi)  (ru)

Today we are cats in the apocalypse!

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-08-02, 17:55

Futurama is good, but stuff like Douglas Adams makes me want to claw my own eyes out.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-08-04, 7:44

Oh lol I just realized I could post in this thread because I just watched Kuch Kuch Hota Hai last night for the first time! :lol: I was actually expecting it to be worse than it was, because I'm not really into Bollywood romantic comedies. I think an awful lot of my favorite Indian movies have very confusing plots. :lol:

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-08-05, 0:06

vijayjohn wrote:Oh lol I just realized I could post in this thread because I just watched Kuch Kuch Hota Hai last night for the first time! :lol: I was actually expecting it to be worse than it was, because I'm not really into Bollywood romantic comedies. I think an awful lot of my favorite Indian movies have very confusing plots. :lol:
But did you like it?

I find the main problem with Bollywood movies is that they're too long. Three hours is a lot to sit through, even with musical numbers. I think I had to watch that one in two sittings, in fact. But I've read this is expected of movies by Indian filmgoers, since they like to get the most value for their money.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-08-05, 1:56

mōdgethanc wrote:But I've read this is expected of movies by Indian filmgoers, since they like to get the most value for their money.

Several of the ones I've watched on DVD actually have a still screen appear halfway through with the word "INTERVAL". So apparently even Indian filmgoers can't get through one without taking a break.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-08-05, 4:42

I haven't seen that, but I wish Western theatres would bring back intermission for some movies. The last movie I've seen that had one was Titanic, but it was also over three hours long.

Aóristos
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Aóristos » 2014-08-05, 6:09

linguoboy wrote:
Aóristos wrote:A Separation.

What did you think?

I'm unfortunately used to unoriginal American crap that keeps on recycling the same old cheesy clichés and plot formulas, so it was definitely a breath of fresh air for me. For the first time in my life, I was actually able to immerse myself in a movie.
Native: American English (en-us) Pizzonese Neapolitan (nap) | Advanced: [none…] | Intermediate: Greek (el) Mexican Spanish (es-mx) Italian (it) Persian (fa) Brazilian Portuguese (pt-br) French (passive) (fr)
Starting: Polish (pl) Urdu (ur) Azerbaijani (az) | Future: Attic Greek (grc) Romanian (ro) Irish (ga) Sicilian (scn) Modern Standard Arabic (ar-arb)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-08-05, 6:48

mōdgethanc wrote:But did you like it?

rant/
No, not really. I've never liked romantic comedies (with the exception of My Big Fat Greek Wedding, but I think that's because I find it to be more of a culture conflict comedy than a romantic comedy, if that makes any sense), and frankly, I find it annoying when things I wouldn't normally like become must-sees. I'm sorry, but the most popular books/movies/videos/whatever are just not for me.
/rant
linguoboy wrote:Several of the ones I've watched on DVD actually have a still screen appear halfway through with the word "INTERVAL". So apparently even Indian filmgoers can't get through one without taking a break.

I think usually I see "INTERMISSION," and I saw that with KKHH, too. Actually, I think I normally see this in most Indian movies, but not in...I dunno, the ones with the most realistic plots? Lol. I mean, I don't think Ankur (Hindi/Urdu, 1974), Swami (Hindi/Urdu, 1977), Ghatashraddha (Kannada, 1977), Vanaprastham (Malayalam, 1999), Nizhalkuthu (Malayalam, 2002), or any movie by Satyajit Ray has an intermission. (Some of Satyajit Ray's movies are very short, too).

In Malayalam, they may say "INTERMISSION," "ഇടവേള" ([jiɖəˈʋeːɭa] 'intermission', literally 'period in the middle' or something like that I think), "വിശ്രമവേള" ([ʋiɕrə̃məˈʋeːɭa], literally 'rest period') or something that looks really dramatic like this one from the movie Meesa Madhavan:
ഇടവേള...
തുടരും...
(rough translation: "Intermission...To be continued...")
and then some other stuff I forget lol.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-08-07, 4:59

vijayjohn wrote:rant/
No, not really. I've never liked romantic comedies (with the exception of My Big Fat Greek Wedding, but I think that's because I find it to be more of a culture conflict comedy than a romantic comedy, if that makes any sense)
I don't tend to like them either, but I did like that one, even though it's rather cheesy at parts. I would argue it's not really a romcom either; it has comedic parts, but also dramatic parts, so I just think of it as a masala film. (Also, I did like My Big Fat Greek Wedding, and You've Got Mail, and even Groundhog Day could be considered a romcom, IMO.)
and frankly, I find it annoying when things I wouldn't normally like become must-sees. I'm sorry, but the most popular books/movies/videos/whatever are just not for me.
/rant
Nah, I''m the same way. Sometimes the hype over something becomes so annoying that I just want to avoid it entirely. Even worse is when I watch something and it doesn't live up to the hype at all (like Doctor Who; looking at how ubiquitous it is in popular culture and on the Internet, I expected it to be a lot better than it was, which was just campy and juvenile).

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-08-07, 19:40

mōdgethanc wrote:I don't tend to like them either, but I did like that one, even though it's rather cheesy at parts. I would argue it's not really a romcom either; it has comedic parts, but also dramatic parts, so I just think of it as a masala film. (Also, I did like My Big Fat Greek Wedding, and You've Got Mail, and even Groundhog Day could be considered a romcom, IMO.)

Oh, OK. I guess there are some masala films I like, but I don't care for them in general. All my favorite Indian movies are art house movies. :P And I still haven't seen You've Got Mail or Groundhog Day, lol.
Nah, I''m the same way. Sometimes the hype over something becomes so annoying that I just want to avoid it entirely. Even worse is when I watch something and it doesn't live up to the hype at all (like Doctor Who; looking at how ubiquitous it is in popular culture and on the Internet, I expected it to be a lot better than it was, which was just campy and juvenile).

In a way, I'm actually the opposite. When I see that something is extremely popular, I think, "Oh come on, how the hell can something be so great that everybody needs to see it? What the fuck does it do, bring about world peace?!" :para:

I mean, really, I think hype is just besides the point for me. I don't care what people say; if I like something, I like it, and if I don't, I don't. I love languages, and I don't give a shit if one language is more popular than another; I will gladly discuss anything from some random obscure-ass Papuan language to the differences between our idiolects of English. :lol: But I also don't like Kpop (I think there are various types of Korean music that I like much, much more), and I don't give a shit if "Gangnam Style" is more popular than any other Kpop video, either; I'm no more likely to watch that than any other Kpop video.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-08-20, 9:28

I think I'm a little obsessed with racism in the US right now, unfortunately. Just a little while ago, I watched Crisis in Levittown (1957) on YouTube. The movie itself is not nearly as dramatic as the title sounds (it's an American documentary from the 1950s, after all :P). It's just a narration interspersed with interviews, basically. It's about the first black family to move into the otherwise all-white town of Levittown, Pennsylvania and the residents' reactions.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-08-20, 19:52

Aóristos wrote:I'm unfortunately used to unoriginal American crap that keeps on recycling the same old cheesy clichés and plot formulas, so it was definitely a breath of fresh air for me.
You're right. The American film industry is the only one to do this, ever.

Lur

Postby Lur » 2014-08-21, 10:13

mōdgethanc wrote:I almost saw that last night and I'm glad I didn't in hindsight because it looks really, really dumb. Science fiction and comedy are two genres that just don't go together well.

May I recommend some stuff written by Stanislaw Lem?

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-08-22, 2:56

I have Solaris. I'm kind of turned off of his work by how much of a prima donna he seems like, but I'd be willing to overlook that to read more.

Return to “Culture”