[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Which movie(s) have you watched lately? - Page 56 - UniLang

Which movie(s) have you watched lately?

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderators: Car, Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Global Moderators

Varislintu
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Which movie(s) have you watched lately?

Postby Varislintu » 2015-02-07, 8:56

I ended up watching Adrift. The premise is a very good one, actually: a bunch of adult friends go swimming from a sailing boat and then realise nobody lowered the boat's stairs so they can't get back into it. And there's an infant sleeping in the cabin.

But, it was one of those movies where you kind of want to either weep or strangle the characters because they mostly act really stupidly and make all conceivable mistakes that make a seemingly solvable problem a really long and nightmarish incident for them.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2015-02-10, 7:57

I recently saw American Sniper. I didn't like it at all. Everyone is raving about it and I didn't like it at all. Jake should have been nominated for Nightcrawler, not Bradley Coper for this.
अहिंसा
TAC 2015:  (hi) (ja) (ar) (fr)
Loves: (bn) (ta) (id) (tr) (ur)

Lada
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Lada » 2015-02-16, 10:41

From all the movies I' ve watched recently I can recommend only Whiplash. It's a psychological drama about a guy who wants to be the greatest drummer and his teacher who puts him down even when the guy doesn't expect it. Quite thrilling and nervous movie picturing difficult way to a dream...

meidei

Postby meidei » 2015-02-16, 10:49

Shortbus, for the second time. This time was a public screening so you got the change to discuss what aspects of the film especially mattered to you with other people.
For someone who used to be quite 'puritan', this is quickly becoming one of my favourite films.
Knows:Cypriot Standard Greek & Cypriot Spoken Greek (el-cy)| (en)|Standard Greek - Greece's Written Standard (el)
Attempting:  (tr) (sgn-CY)
Resuming shorty: (fr)
Forgetting: (ja)

Varislintu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Varislintu » 2015-02-26, 8:30

I watched The Fault in Our Stars. Well, wasn't that cute. :) My brain isn't used to watching such positive, heartwarming things, so it kept thinking "all this must turn out to be a hallucination she had in the oxygen-deprived last ten minutes of her life", or "have I seen any other character interact with Augustus? -- maybe he's her imaginary friend".

But well, turns out he truly was her pixie dream-boy. :) All that was missing was the ukulele. :mrgreen:
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Ludwig Whitby

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2015-03-03, 16:48

PK

Quite interesting to see a Bollywood movie tackling (among other things) issues of the organized religions and the Indo-Pakistani relations. From what I gather that part of the world is very sensitive when it comes to religion and this movie has managed to give an honest criticism of religion (all religions) without alienating believers. A very fine example of what socio-politico-religious satire should look like.

Varislintu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Varislintu » 2015-03-09, 7:17

Birdman.

I was a bit afraid it would be a pretentious movie. But it didn't feel like that to me. I really liked it, even if it was, as people have complained, about actors playing actors. I even liked the artsy touches like the bold drum music and the long cuts.

But did anyone else notice that they made sure to describe pretty much every woman character like this:

Woman #1: Great ass (mentioned by a jerk guy)
Woman #2: Great ass (mentioned by a bi woman)
Woman #3: Milf with perky tits
Woman #4: Shares a vagina with Man X (mentioned by herself, by which she just meant they are seeing each other)
Woman #5: Looks like she's licked a homeless man's ass.

I just found that to be so weird. The movie wasn't about sex, or appearance, after all. It wasn't even about women. Was this satire about the casual way women are reduced to tits and ass on Broadway?
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Lada
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Lada » 2015-03-09, 14:31

Varislintu wrote: Was this satire about the casual way women are reduced to tits and ass on Broadway everywhere?

I can't think of any example in mass culture where women are discussed by words like "she might have a beautiful soul", "oh, her eyes tell me that her favorite composer is Mozart", unless it's a comedy show.

I watched Birdman too and disliked it. Can't understand why it's "the best movie". Whiplash is stronger though it's not original either.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-03-10, 18:51

Lada wrote:
Varislintu wrote: Was this satire about the casual way women are reduced to tits and ass on Broadway everywhere?

I can't think of any example in mass culture where women are discussed by words like "she might have a beautiful soul", "oh, her eyes tell me that her favorite composer is Mozart", unless it's a comedy show.

Well, that may be true of mass Western culture, but at least it's not true of all cultures. :) For example, I remember a Buddhist story in which the human body was considered inherently ugly so that the only beauty that humans can possess is inside.

Lada
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Lada » 2015-03-14, 14:38

I guess Buddhist stories are not part of mass culture in general. However, I recommend to all Buddhists and beyond to watch I origins movie. That's about reincarnation, good drama, I enjoyed it :)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-03-14, 18:05

Lada wrote:I guess Buddhist stories are not part of mass culture in general.

Depends on what you mean by "mass culture."

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-03-16, 3:00

Coup de torchon, directed by Bertrand Tavernier and starring Philippe Noiret. An odd film. It was shot on a small budget, so it's difficult to tell when exactly it's supposed to be set. From the summary of the plot, I was expecting a rather different characterisation of the protagonist. It starts out like a gentle farce and gets progressive more twisted.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Return to “Culture”