[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Would you eat? - Page 15 - UniLang

Would you eat?

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderators: Car, Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Global Moderators

Mefi

Re: Would you eat?

Postby Mefi » 2011-10-01, 16:35

Lenguas wrote:We don't have a local cuisine here in America.

What a pity you guys don't have stakes, hamburgers, hotdogs, coke, fries, corn, pumpkins and other stuff like this. We like them a lot here in Europe. Because here in Europe we like to eat different things.

Lenguas wrote:For instance kung pao spaghetti is a uniquely American dish.) minus what we consider gross.

What food is considered gross in America? What should I eat the next time I'm in Chicago? Are Americans lactose tolerant? Do you eat beef in America? Do people use forks in America? Is America jealous of Canadian cuisine? How would I sound to Americans if I used a word "napkin" instead of "handkerchief"? Is America in North or South America? America 'merica States? United States America America? Florida Alaska Wyoming? America America America?
Polish (pl) English (en) French (fr) Russian (ru) Italian (it) German (de) Latin (la)

Lenguas

Postby Lenguas » 2011-10-01, 16:47

What a pity you guys don't have stakes, hamburgers, hotdogs, coke, fries, corn, pumpkins and other stuff like this.
Stakes? :shock:

lol

Mefi

Postby Mefi » 2011-10-01, 16:49

Lenguas wrote:
What a pity you guys don't have stakes, hamburgers, hotdogs, coke, fries, corn, pumpkins and other stuff like this.
Stakes? :shock:

Steaks*. My bad.

Lenguas wrote:lol

Polish (pl) English (en) French (fr) Russian (ru) Italian (it) German (de) Latin (la)

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2011-10-01, 17:56

Lenguas wrote:We don't have a local cuisine here in America.
I beg to differ. But just like us in Northern Europe you've found out that foreign food often tastes better and thus may be worth taking a look at and adopt. Just look at Southern Europe where they eat only their specific local cuisine which of course is of high quality, but is stagnation preferable in the long run?
Last edited by Hunef on 2011-10-01, 18:20, edited 5 times in total.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

Chekhov

Postby Chekhov » 2011-10-01, 18:14

吾が舞へば、麗し女、酔ひにけり
吾が舞へば、照る月、響むなり

Mefi

Postby Mefi » 2011-10-01, 18:25

Silly Americans, you don't need to know how to cook. That's what Mexicans are for, geez. :roll:

Nitrobulgarine

Postby Nitrobulgarine » 2011-10-07, 14:24

It's time for Balkan food. :))
Would you eat a ... баничка с праз (banichka with leeks)?
Here it is:
http://kulinarnia.com/public/files/imag ... bc3a49.jpg
[flag]bg[/flag] (native) Тученица иде, иде - я, реката стана на море!
[flag]en[/flag] (intermediate-advanced) One of these days I've got to talk to the Prime Minister.
[flag]mk[/flag] (not really speaking but understanding) Сакам да имам повеќе време да ја почувствуваам мојата Македонска крв.
[flag]de[/flag] (beginner) Heute bin ich zu schön. Morgen bin ich klug genug.
[flag]sr[/flag] [flag]hr[/flag] [flag]bs[/flag] (attracted by) Ova lepota je nekako ružna.

Ludwig Whitby

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2011-10-07, 14:29

Gladly.

Balkan fuck yeah!

Nitrobulgarine

Postby Nitrobulgarine » 2011-10-07, 15:38

Oh, I can't eat all that. Definitely not at once. ;)
Otherwise, it looks tasty. But this is not simply Serbian roštilj. This is a really, really big pile of Serbian roštilj. It reminds me of the four times I fully crossed Serbia. I remember cars being parked in fields and Šlep Služba. I like the Serbian land and cuisine. Greetings!
Anyone for бобена яхния с луканка (cooked beans with lukanka) ? :))
http://recepti.rezerve.bg/images/509/p1050348.jpg
Not a strange meal but DELICIOUS.
[flag]en[/flag] (intermediate-advanced) One of these days I've got to talk to the Prime Minister.
[flag]mk[/flag] (not really speaking but understanding) Сакам да имам повеќе време да ја почувствуваам мојата Македонска крв.
[flag]sr[/flag] [flag]hr[/flag] [flag]bs[/flag] (attracted by) Ova lepota je nekako ružna.

TaylorS

Postby TaylorS » 2011-10-14, 4:03

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:Would you eat a Kapsalon?

Kapsalon is a Dutch food item consisting of fries, topped with donair or shawarma meat, grilled with a layer of Gouda cheese until melted and then subsequently covered with a layer of dressed salad greens topped with a green pepper.

Only 1800cal per portion...
Sounds delicious!
Native: English
Learning: Spanish, Latin

Linguistic Interests: Historical Linguistics, Typology, Phonology, Phonetics, Morphology.

rykketid

Postby rykketid » 2012-02-07, 21:37

Nitrobulgarine wrote:Anyone for бобена яхния с луканка (cooked beans with lukanka) ? :))
http://recepti.rezerve.bg/images/509/p1050348.jpg
Not a strange meal but DELICIOUS.

I don't even know what it is but yeah :-D I like tasting food from all over the world :-D

Ok, it's my turn... I'm Italian but don't think I'm going to offer you a pizza or pasta... I dare the person below me to eat... fried frogs :-)

It's not a joke... it's a true Italian dish... not so common but yeah, it exists! (personally I've never had the courage to taste it lol)

JackFrost
Global Moderator

Postby JackFrost » 2012-02-07, 23:12

Of course I have heard of frog legs.

That's the reason why the French are called frogs. :wink:

I'd eat it since it still doesn't top hard-boiled duck eggs with the fetus included.
Neferuj paħujkij!

Nitrobulgarine

Postby Nitrobulgarine » 2012-02-08, 9:10

I don't even know what it is but yeah :D

What don't you know? What is cooked beans or what is lukanka? I guess lukanka. All right. Lukanka is basically a dried, flat sausage consisting of pieces of lard and meat (beef and pork, one or both, there may also be other versions, like bull/buffalo or ostrich :yep: ). This is wrapped in beef intestines (or some plastic if the lukanka is made in factories), pressed many times over to become flat, and dried in strictly controlled environment. Moreover, different kinds of herbs are added - black pepper, cumin, salt of course. Perhaps the recipe sounds gross, but if the lukanka is well-made, it's really tasty! Recipes vary through the land but the main types are Panagyurska (from Panagyurishte), Karlovska (from Karlovo), and Smyadovska (from Smyadovo). Except as a "meze" (an appetizer to wine, etc.), in stews like the one I showed, and in pizzas :lol: , lukanka can also be put on a slice of bread over some relish like mayonnaise or lyutenitsa and eaten like this. I often bring it to school for a snack. :D

And the new dish: капама (kapama).
http://blog.arhivatora.com/wp-content/u ... kapama.jpg
It's very complicated. Imagine a whole chicken filled with rice and herbs. Then сарми (sarmi) with minced meat (these are rolls of cabbage leaves stuffed with something). Then some more cabbage. Then some smoked breast. Then some sausage (but not lukanka). And many little steaks of veal and pork. This awesome pile is put in a cooking pot or in a traditional pot called a гювеч (gyuvech), seasoned with oil, cabbage juice and more, more herbs (including bay leaf which is very famous ingredient to every meat dish in Bulgaria). Bulgarians also love lots and lots of bread and wine, preferably red, with this meal.
I challenge you to make a kapama and eat it. If you can rent another stomach for a while. :lol:

WallOfStuff

Postby WallOfStuff » 2012-02-08, 18:04

JackFrost wrote:I'd eat it since it still doesn't top hard-boiled duck eggs with the fetus included.
Was that mentioned earlier in this thread? Don't feel like looking, but I've heard of that and you couldn't pay me millions to eat that.

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2012-08-13, 21:14

I was watching a show about gross food. I started paying attention when they said that some normal foods like blue cheese would be disgusting to some people in Ocenia, but unfortunately they didn't elaborate, so now I am not sure. Also from there question for you - would you eat internal organs as meat?
I speak:  (lv) (en) I understand some:  (de) (ru) Toying with:  (es)

loqu
Language Forum Moderator
Location: Sevilla (Andalucía) and València (País Valencià), but originally from Cádiz (Andalucía)

Postby loqu » 2012-08-13, 21:19

Yep it's done here. In Spain every part of the pig is turned into food and eaten, that includes all internal organs.

I'm not a fan of them though.
De tant que et vull, et trac un ull.
Qui no vulga pols, que no vaja a l'era.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2012-08-13, 21:33

Sol Invictus wrote:I was watching a show about gross food. I started paying attention when they said that some normal foods like blue cheese would be disgusting to some people in Ocenia, but unfortunately they didn't elaborate, so now I am not sure. Also from there question for you - would you eat internal organs as meat?

If you've ever eaten sausage, you've eaten internal organs.

Some of the best sausage I've ever eaten was the locally-made country sausage served at the pancake breakfasts at our Catholic parish in rural Missouri. They were made with natural casings (i.e. pig intestines stripped of their inner- and outermost layers).
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2012-08-13, 23:53

I don't mean sausages or pastes or whatever where you wouldn't have a clear idea of what you are consuming (btw I usually quietly hope the casings are artifical). At end of the programme I saw they just went to say that we may find eating organs unusual (although I don't think it featured them, it went more along lines of duck embryos, casu marzu and bugs, I was having diner and didn't pay much attention :P), but here you can buy most of major organs at market and cook them. Thus far I've only tried roasted chicken liver (like it too) and recently out of curiosity inside part of chicken bone (bone marrow I suppose?), but relatives have informed me of qualities of much of everything else
I speak:  (lv) (en) I understand some:  (de) (ru) Toying with:  (es)

Shiba
Language Forum Moderator
Country: ZA South Africa (Suid-Afrika / uMzantsi Afrika / South Africa)

Postby Shiba » 2012-08-14, 10:04

Chicken livers are quite popular here, too, but to me, they've got a funny rich taste, and I don't like their texture. :/ But it's totally subjective; my brother loves them.

And now for a dish from South Africa.

Would you eat sheep's head?

This is actually considered a delicacy among sheep farming communities (such as in the Cape and the Free State). Personally, I've never tried it, but it doesn't seem too bad... at least, not if you were to eat it in a more appetising fashion:
Native: Afrikaans (af) English (en) || Intermediate: German (South African variant, Springbokdeutsch) (de) || Beginner: Some odd combination of Riksmål and Bokmål and whatever (no) || Learning on-and-off: Russian (ru) || Curious: Breton (br) Welsh (cy) Finnish (fi)
Korrigere feilene mine, vær så snill!

Die HERE is my herder; niks sal my ontbreek nie. ~ Psalm 23:1

モモンガ

Postby モモンガ » 2012-08-14, 16:21

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:Would you eat a Kapsalon?

Kapsalon is a Dutch food item consisting of fries, topped with donair or shawarma meat, grilled with a layer of Gouda cheese until melted and then subsequently covered with a layer of dressed salad greens topped with a green pepper.

Eat something like this in Bulgaria, it was quite tasty.
[flag]tr[/flag]Türkçe [flag]vi[/flag]㗂越[flag]lo[/flag]ພາສາລາວ[flag]tet[/flag]Prasa Tetun

Return to “Culture”