[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Would you eat? - Page 16 - UniLang

Would you eat?

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderators: Car, Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Global Moderators

linguoboy

Re: Would you eat?

Postby linguoboy » 2012-08-14, 16:46

Sol Invictus wrote:Thus far I've only tried roasted chicken liver (like it too) and recently out of curiosity inside part of chicken bone (bone marrow I suppose?), but relatives have informed me of qualities of much of everything else

Let's see...livers, gizzards, hearts, intestines, tripes (at least two or three different kinds--cows have up to four), feet (chicken feet and pigs trotters), lung, lips, sweetbreads, eyes, kidneys, tongue (beef and duck). I may have missed some--when you order kokoretsi they don't exactly tell you what every piece is. (But last time I had my biologist along and he did his best to identify everything.)

I haven't had brains before, despite brain sandwiches being a traditional specialty of my hometown; besides the prions issue, there's also the massive cholesterol to think of. (This is the reason I eat sweetbreads maybe once every two or three years at most.) I also haven't knowingly eaten head cheese, spleen, penis, or testicles. Several of the Mexican places around here sell tacos de cabeza, sheep's head tacos, but I haven't tried them yet.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Plaas

Postby Plaas » 2012-08-17, 10:31

Would you eat boerenkoolstamppot?

It is a winter dish made of kale ("boerenkool", like borecole), potatoes and cracklings, mashed together and served with gravy and smoked sausage.
- Plaas' vermannen

Lidmaatschap beëindigd 30-11-2014.

MillMaths

Postby MillMaths » 2012-08-17, 10:37

Plaas wrote:Would you eat boerenkoolstamppot?

It is a winter dish made of kale ("boerenkool", like borecole), potatoes and cracklings, mashed together and served with gravy and smoked sausage.
Lovely! :yum:

N J

Postby N J » 2012-08-18, 3:22

We often eat this but normally carrots or silverbeet instead of kale. Yum!

kevin

Postby kevin » 2012-08-19, 10:26

Sounds good, even though maybe not the right thing for the current weather. :)

Would you eat Linsen mit Spätzle? Wikipedia translates it as "Lentils with Swabian pasta", though we generally don't call Spätzle pasta or noodles because they are thicker, softer and have a much less smooth surface than for example Italian pasta. With it, you normally have Frankfurter sausages ("Saiten") and possibly some bacon. And don't forget the vinegar with the lentils!

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2012-09-11, 21:10

It looks like cute presentation of three things I hate - discolored legumes, noodles without sauce and sausage with main course type of foods

Such a lovely thread, but doesn't really work well as a game... now I considered asking about fried potatoes with jam, but I checked back that I already did, then I thought of rye bread desserts, but I did that before as well, so here's one you might mistake for palatable
Milk soup with vegetables (i.e. carrots and green peas, the depicted one also has cauliflowers and corn in it)
I speak:  (lv) (en) I understand some:  (de) (ru) Toying with:  (es)

CityBird

Postby CityBird » 2012-09-11, 23:06

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:Would you eat a Kapsalon?

Why is this dish called kapsalon? I tried to figure it out but my imagination, or better lack thereof, made me give up.

Cheers CityBird

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2012-09-12, 14:07

N J wrote:

We often eat this but normally carrots or silverbeet instead of kale. Yum!

With carrots it's called 'hutspot'. There are a lot of dishes that contain potatoes + vegatables, I like them all (but the Sauerkraut is my less favourite). I eat boerenkoolstamp without cracklings and gravy by the way, for me it's just potatoes + kale, with maybe a little bit of milk. Sometimes a sausage, sometimes we just take something vegetarian.

@CityBird: It's called Kapsalon because the person who invented is worked as a hairdresser :lol:
See: http://eten-en-drinken.infonu.nl/divers ... recht.html
Interests: lots.
Motivation: little.

Corrections appreciated.

Muisje

Postby Muisje » 2012-09-12, 17:16

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:With carrots it's called 'hutspot'. There are a lot of dishes that contain potatoes + vegatables, I like them all (but the Sauerkraut is my less favourite). I eat boerenkoolstamp without cracklings and gravy by the way, for me it's just potatoes + kale, with maybe a little bit of milk. Sometimes a sausage, sometimes we just take something vegetarian.
Seriously? I always thought I was the only one who preferred it without gravy! :o
you either lose your fear
or spend your life
with one foot in the grave
over the rhine - spark

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2012-09-13, 10:10

Muisje wrote:
Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:With carrots it's called 'hutspot'. There are a lot of dishes that contain potatoes + vegatables, I like them all (but the Sauerkraut is my less favourite). I eat boerenkoolstamp without cracklings and gravy by the way, for me it's just potatoes + kale, with maybe a little bit of milk. Sometimes a sausage, sometimes we just take something vegetarian.
Seriously? I always thought I was the only one who preferred it without gravy! :o

Well, yes. Sometimes we add it but for me it's not necessary.
Interests: lots.
Motivation: little.

Corrections appreciated.

MillMaths

Postby MillMaths » 2012-09-27, 9:31

Chinese stir-fried crab in black-bean sauce.

Of course you would eat this. :yum:

JackFrost
Global Moderator

Postby JackFrost » 2012-09-27, 17:53

Sophie wrote:Of course you would eat this. :yum:

How do you know me so well now? :')
Neferuj paħujkij!

Spaigelploatje

Postby Spaigelploatje » 2013-03-21, 3:28

For some reason I don't like the thought of crab...

Would you eat
"Hete Bliksem"

Mashed potatoes with mashed green and red apples, smoked gravy and minced meat added to this potato/apple mix.

I loved it in the past.. Haven't had it for many years..

Youngfun
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Youngfun » 2013-03-21, 16:07

Nehushtan wrote:Chinese stir-fried crab in black-bean sauce.

Of course you would eat this. :yum:

Oh Sophie... that makes me feel home...

JackFrost
Global Moderator

Postby JackFrost » 2013-03-21, 19:08

Spaigelploatje wrote:Mashed potatoes with mashed green and red apples, smoked gravy and minced meat added to this potato/apple mix.

Apples in that? Ew. :s
Neferuj paħujkij!

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2013-03-21, 19:23

JackFrost wrote:
Spaigelploatje wrote:Mashed potatoes with mashed green and red apples, smoked gravy and minced meat added to this potato/apple mix.

Apples in that? Ew. :s

Sounds yummy :ohwell:
I speak:  (lv) (en) I understand some:  (de) (ru) Toying with:  (es)

Saaropean

Postby Saaropean » 2013-03-22, 1:35

kevin wrote:

Sounds good, even though maybe not the right thing for the current weather. :)

Would you eat Linsen mit Spätzle? Wikipedia translates it as "Lentils with Swabian pasta", though we generally don't call Spätzle pasta or noodles because they are thicker, softer and have a much less smooth surface than for example Italian pasta. With it, you normally have Frankfurter sausages ("Saiten") and possibly some bacon. And don't forget the vinegar with the lentils!

Oh, I miss that. You can buy spätzle here and lentils shouldn't be much of a problem either, but saitewürschtla or wienerla? :(

Lada
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Lada » 2013-10-25, 15:47

I stumbled on the article 17 Bizarre Foods Every Russian Grew Up With

Are they really bizarre? Would you eat?

No. 9 and 13 are unknown to me actually, but all the rest is familiar :yum:

dorenda

Postby dorenda » 2013-10-25, 20:47

1. Eaten that, don't like it.
2. Eaten that, don't like it (I'm not much of a fish-eater).
3. Looks very similar to something I know and like, so I would try it.
4. Eaten that, liked it.
5. Is there anything unusual about pickling things?
6. Eaten that, don't like it (food shouldn't be "elastic").
7. Eaten that, it's okay.
8. Drunk that, it's okay.
9. Not sure if I've had it exactly in this combination, but if I'd have to, I'd eat it (don't like herring).
10. Never had it, but it looks tasty.
11. Eaten that, liked it.
12. Not sure if what I had is this or just similar, but I'm pretty sure I'd be fine with it.
13. Haven't had it, but it looks normal.
14. Kompot is good! I make my own.
15. Eaten that, it's okay.
16. Regularly eat those, they're good.
17. Don't like herring. Not even if it looks like on that picture. :)

I didn't really see anything bizarre there...
нехай мій гаманець порожній
моя дорога невідома
я стану вільним, подорожнім
найголовніше вийти з дому

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-10-25, 21:16

(6) is simply [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspic]aspic[/ur], which was once ubiquitous in Western cuisine as well until suddenly it wasn't. Just ask anyone in the US who grew up during the 50s.

(7) is identical to Italian lardo (which at least one enterprising Italian restauranteur has tried to sell in this country as "prosciutto bianco").

(8) is essentially small beer, which again was ubiquitous in the West before modern sanitation.

(11) and (12) are common in German cuisine, as is herring (at least in the North).

All in all, it doesn't strike me as a "bizarre" list at all--unless you're a white-bread American who's never eaten anything pickled that wasn't a cucumber or any fish that wasn't breaded.

My biggest issue with Russian food is that I hate beets so (2) and (15) hold no appeal for me at all.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Return to “Culture”