[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Would you eat? - Page 17 - UniLang

Would you eat?

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderators: Car, Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Global Moderators

IpseDixit

Re: Would you eat?

Postby IpseDixit » 2013-10-25, 21:25

(7) is identical to Italian lardo (which at least one enterprising Italian restauranteur has tried to sell in this country as "prosciutto bianco").

lol

Who is brave enough to try casu marzu?

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-10-26, 6:24

No thanks.

On the subject of Russian food, it seems like it's the product of a poor country trying to make do with limited ingredients. I don't mind borscht and I like shchi, but otherwise it's kind of boring. Pelmeni are good though.

Oh, and I would try salo and think aspic looks disgusting. I know what it is and I've seen pictures of it; I just don't feel the need to try it.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2013-10-26, 11:10

linguoboy wrote:(11) and (12) are common in German cuisine, as is herring (at least in the North).

What makes you think (11) and (12) are common here? I've never heard of (12) before (Wikipedia says it's similar to Rote Grütze which I don't like much). I've heard of (11), but I've never seen it anywhere.
Please correct my mistakes!

Lada
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Lada » 2013-10-26, 15:22

dorenda wrote:1. Eaten that, don't like it.

Actually I've never tasted crepes with sour cream and caviar, only separately, probably that's really not the best ingredients to mix.
linguoboy wrote:(8) is essentially small beer, which again was ubiquitous in the West before modern sanitation.

The kvas in my fridge has no more than 1,2% of alcohol while low-alcohol beers that I've ever tried had at least 2% so here it's not considered alcoholic and sold together with other soft drinks. Coke and Pepsi are its direct competitors. And Kvas can't be called beer, as their flavours are too different.
My biggest issue with Russian food is that I hate beets so (2) and (15) hold no appeal for me at all.

I dislike beets too, but when it is mixed with other vegetables, oil and something else its flavour loses the strength for good.

Youngfun
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Youngfun » 2013-10-26, 15:32

Would you eat pajata?

A classic dish from Rome. :) (only real Romans, i.e. people whose grand-grand-grand-grandfather was from Rome, like it :lol: ).

From Wikipedia:
Pajata is the term for the intestines of an "un-weaned" calf, i.e., only fed on its mother's milk. The intestines are cleaned and skinned, but the chyme is left inside. Then the intestine is cut in pieces 20 – 25 cm long, which are bound together with white thread, forming rings. When cooked, the combination of heat and the enzyme rennet in the intestines coagulates the chyme and creates a sort of thick, creamy, cheese-like sauce. These rings can be served simply seasoned and grilled (pajata arrosto) or in the traditional Roman dish in which pajata is stewed in a typical tomato sauce and served with rigatoni.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-10-27, 13:25

hāozigǎnr wrote:Would you eat pajata?
I was going to say yes until I read this:
The intestines are cleaned and skinned, but the chyme is left inside. Then the intestine is cut in pieces 20 – 25 cm long, which are bound together with white thread, forming rings. When cooked, the combination of heat and the enzyme rennet in the intestines coagulates the chyme and creates a sort of thick, creamy, cheese-like sauce.

and then wished i didn't know what the word "chyme" means.

Varislintu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Varislintu » 2013-10-28, 10:24

mōdgethanc wrote:On the subject of Russian food, it seems like it's the product of a poor country trying to make do with limited ingredients. I don't mind borscht and I like shchi, but otherwise it's kind of boring. Pelmeni are good though.

I don't understand people's negative gut reaction to foods that stem from a poor background. It's so snobbish. Traditional foods are eaten because they are traditional. They could be made out of cardboard, it doesn't matter. :nope:

I love beetroots, so I'd probably fare well in Russia. Of course, our cuisine has also been affected a lot by the Russian one. Except we don't really use caviar, but other types of roe are very common. And we often combine roes with sour cream, and even more often with our slightly milder and less fat dairy product kermaviili, which I don't think has an exact equivalent abroad.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-10-29, 4:52

I don't understand people's negative gut reaction to foods that stem from a poor background. It's so snobbish. Traditional foods are eaten because they are traditional. They could be made out of cardboard, it doesn't matter. :nope:
Actually, I'm more negative towards foods like polenta that are rustic and only held up as examples of haute cuisine because they're from a culture which is somehow regarded as being more sophisticated than others. That's BS.

My reaction to Russian food is based on my finding it somewhat bland and heavy. That's also my reaction to British food, Swedish food, and Polish food, with some exceptions. It has nothing to do with their origins and everything to do with personal taste.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2013-10-30, 8:41

mōdgethanc wrote:Actually, I'm more negative towards foods like polenta that are rustic and only held up as examples of haute cuisine because they're from a culture which is somehow regarded as being more sophisticated than others. That's BS.

That's what alta cucina does all the time, it has reinterpreted a lot of foods typical of the poorest classes, but no chef would claim that polenta comes from alta cucina and if Canadian chefs say so, then they have a problem.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-10-30, 15:58

IpseDixit wrote:That's what alta cucina does all the time, it has reinterpreted a lot of foods typical of the poorest classes, but no chef would claim that polenta comes from alta cucina and if Canadian chefs say so, then they have a problem.
No, I think it's understood in North America that it's a "rustic" food. But in North America, "rustic" is one of those buzzwords that really means "snobbish". (I had the best time in Tuscany last winter, it was so rustic and authentic!* People there really believe in la dolce vita.)

*Snobby white people are obsessed with the idea of "authenticity".

katex

Postby katex » 2013-12-03, 12:56

First time poster here.

How about Opossum? Image
(spam link removed by global mod)

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2013-12-03, 13:00

First time poster here.

:welcome:

How about Opossum?

No, too cute :3

How about bull's testicles?

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2013-12-10, 3:04

katex wrote:First time poster here.

How about Opossum? http://www.turtletrack.org/Issues10/CO0 ... ssum_2.jpg

Deffinitly not.
अहिंसा
TAC 2015:  (hi) (ja) (ar) (fr)
Loves: (bn) (ta) (id) (tr) (ur)

languagepotato

Postby languagepotato » 2014-01-11, 10:33

how about ghoulal; moroccan snail soup. i love it
Motivation is the key to succes but without effort you'll never find its lock.

bath&body

Postby bath&body » 2014-06-17, 5:37

I don't eat Balut before but when i tried it taste good. :)

bath&body

Postby bath&body » 2014-06-17, 5:40

Anyone here tried SOUP no. 5? Its a cow's testicle? :hmm:

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2014-06-18, 19:37

I haven't, yuck!

Would you eat this Laotian dish?

spicy fried swallows

learning:  (ne)  (sv)  (es-ar)  (hi) (Assamese, Gujarati, Hindi, Telugu)

Johanna

Postby Johanna » 2014-06-18, 20:28

No, since it would be more trouble eating the stuff than what you actually get.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting.

Halfdan

Postby Halfdan » 2014-06-18, 20:44

Not a lot of meat on those, is there?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-07-02, 20:29

Dutchies! Is this actually a thing where you come from?

(I tried googling various permutations of "speculaas", "boter", and "kaas", but that didn't seem to unearth anything relevant.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Return to “Culture”