[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Would you eat? - Page 18 - UniLang

Would you eat?

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderators: Car, Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Global Moderators

Viridzen

Re: Would you eat?

Postby Viridzen » 2014-07-02, 22:32

linguoboy wrote:Dutchies! Is this actually a thing where you come from?

It appears to be Belgian, though the brand that makes the one you posted is American. They don't test on animals! (And I would definitely eat that.)

Speaking of butters, we have apple butter in Deitscherei, and it's delicious. I try to eat it with everything.
Please, correct my errors. S'il vous plaît, corrigez mes erreurs.
C2:  (en) B1: Focusing on:  (fr) (A2),  (got)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-01-05, 18:27

Today I learned about 茭白 jiāobái or 高笋 gāosǔn, which is the name given to stems of Manchurian wild rice (Zizania latifolia) infected with a species-specific smut (Ustilago esculenta) and served as a vegetable. Apparently it's not allowed to be imported into the USA for fears of spreading the infection. (Manchurian wild rice isn't cultivated in North America, but other Zizania species are very valuable commercially.) I'm a fan of corn smut (a.k.a. huitlacoche), so if I were offered jiāobái I'd try it. Would you?

"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2015-01-06, 14:55

I'd eat it, if I were convinced it's no more risky than eating yoghurt, and if I could get over the inherent funniness of the word "smut".

Language Underworld

Postby Language Underworld » 2015-01-17, 19:44

Would you eat dog soup in the presence of your dog? ;)

I saw that in a Korean restaurant in China once... It was quite weird. :shock: :shock: :shock:

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2015-01-18, 1:12

Language Underworld wrote:Would you eat dog soup in the presence of your dog? ;)

I saw that in a Korean restaurant in China once... It was quite weird. :shock: :shock: :shock:

:para: Gross.
learning:  (ne)  (sv)  (es-ar)  (hi) (Assamese, Gujarati, Hindi, Telugu)

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-01-18, 1:41

Language Underworld wrote:Would you eat dog soup in the presence of your dog? ;)

I don't like soup so probably not. :mrgreen:
Hungarian (hu) Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára. _______German (de) Wo ein Wille ist, da ist auch ein Weg.
English (en) Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. __Spanish (es) No hay ceguera peor que no querer mirar.
Romanian (ro) Nu întinde arcul până nu este bine aşezată săgeata.

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2015-01-18, 23:19

I've tried whale once in Norway. Didn't have any qualms about eating it. Tasted like cheap dry tuna, though.

I'd never eat dog or cat meat. Sorry, but that's just to much for me. Then again, I find eating snails perfectly normal while many people find it gross.
Fluent: (en) Intermediate:  (de) Wants to learn:  (nl) (fr) (ja) (no)

loqu
Language Forum Moderator
Location: Sevilla (Andalucía) and València (País Valencià), but originally from Cádiz (Andalucía)

Postby loqu » 2015-01-19, 1:09

Prowler wrote:I'd never eat dog or cat meat. Sorry, but that's just to much for me. Then again, I find eating snails perfectly normal while many people find it gross.

Reminds me of the time I was talking to a Japanese girl who told me she loved horse meat while I found it shocking. Then I told her rabbit meat was tasty and she looked at me as if I were a psychopath. :lol:
De tant que et vull, et trac un ull.
Qui no vulga pols, que no vaja a l'era.

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2015-01-19, 1:54

loqu wrote:
Prowler wrote:I'd never eat dog or cat meat. Sorry, but that's just to much for me. Then again, I find eating snails perfectly normal while many people find it gross.

Reminds me of the time I was talking to a Japanese girl who told me she loved horse meat while I found it shocking. Then I told her rabbit meat was tasty and she looked at me as if I were a psychopath. :lol:

Horse meat isn't that strange. Although I've never had it.

Rabbit... haven't had that in over a decade. Never been a fan of it, anyway.

Maybe she finds bunnies "kawaii".
Fluent: (en) Intermediate:  (de) Wants to learn:  (nl) (fr) (ja) (no)

loqu
Language Forum Moderator
Location: Sevilla (Andalucía) and València (País Valencià), but originally from Cádiz (Andalucía)

Postby loqu » 2015-01-19, 9:41

She did. The word didn't came up (I didn't know it existed, by then, anyway), but she said it is wrong to eat something so lovely. :lol:

I have tried horse meat now and it's pretty good, but back in 2003 I found it quite shocking. In my area horses are considered noble, we don't have any habit of eating them.
De tant que et vull, et trac un ull.
Qui no vulga pols, que no vaja a l'era.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-01-20, 0:10

I can see myself eating almost everything mentioned in this page of this thread, plus most of the things on the previous page. (Of course, I say that without having actually tried any of those things...:P).

Return to “Culture”