[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
What song are you listening to right now? 2 - Page 62 - UniLang

What song are you listening to right now? 2

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderators: Car, Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Global Moderators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: What song are you listening to right now? 2

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-02-16, 7:30

This is supposedly the most famous song from Mongolia (it doesn't have all that many words, actually :hmm:). It's a patriotic song called "Халуун элгэн нутаг," which I think is pronounced something like [xaˈɮʊːn ˈeɮɢen nʊˈtʰaɢ] and apparently means 'my beloved country'. It's performed by members of the Mongolian National Song and Dance Academic Ensemble:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5eIKXPWzSY
EDIT (adding lyrics in Cyrillic script):
Элэг зүрхнээс уяатай
Энхрий Монгол нутаг минь
Эцэг эхээс заяатай
Эрдэнийн алтан өлгий минь
Цэцгийн шимийг тэтгэсэн
Цэнгэлийн хавар айлчилахад
Мөрөн гол нь дуугаа дуулж
Мөнх сарьдаг нь мишээдэг
Сэрүүн салхи сэвсүүлэн
Хацар нүүрийг илбэн байж
Сэтгэл дотрыг ариулсан
Халуун элгэн нутаг минь
Last edited by vijayjohn on 2015-03-12, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.

Патрислав Андреевич

Postby Патрислав Андреевич » 2015-02-16, 13:28

I don’t really listen (or like) rap, even lyrics are not something I like. However this song is in all Slavonic languages (national at least, and for some reason excluding Belarussian I think :?), which makes it really interesting. There are lyrics on-screen in Russian (except for Russian itself.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u27a3CKZZjk
„Miej serce i patrzaj w serce!” — Adam Mickiewicz

Varislintu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Varislintu » 2015-02-16, 20:05

I'm listening to this Finland-bhangra-pop band sing about the morning bus in my home neighbourhood. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSnlCG5PhSE
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-02-16, 21:46

Varislintu wrote:Finland-bhangra-pop band sing about the morning bus in my home neighbourhood. :lol:

:shock: :shock:
Finland-bhangra

:o :o :o :o This is actually a thing in Finland? I mean, like, non-Punjabis actually do something with bhangra? :lol: Wow. I don't even listen to much bhangra and I'm already impressed. :D Someday Malayalam movie songs from before the 90s will be all the rage in Helsinki. Hell, the language already sounds like Finnish!

I'm not absolutely sure what language this song is in. It's called "Duulmaar Uriankhai nutag" and might be in the Uriankhai variety of Oirat, a Mongolic language; this variety is spoken in northern Mongolia. But for all I know, it could just as well be in Khalkha Mongolian. :P The lyrics (in Cyrillic script) may be found in the video description:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htAjmixaCHo

Varislintu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Varislintu » 2015-02-17, 6:05

vijayjohn wrote:
Finland-bhangra

:o :o :o :o This is actually a thing in Finland? I mean, like, non-Punjabis actually do something with bhangra? :lol: Wow. I don't even listen to much bhangra and I'm already impressed. :D Someday Malayalam movie songs from before the 90s will be all the rage in Helsinki. Hell, the language already sounds like Finnish!

Yeah, I was kind of surprised, too. :lol: Well, "suomibhangra" (Finland-bhangra) does exist as a concept, yes, but I think this group, Shava, is pretty much the only prominent group in the genre at the moment. :P They're ground-breakers. But who knows what will happen. Indian pop culture is on the rise, after all. :)

Shava is, btw, competing for the spot as Finland's Eurovision Song Contest entry, with this song (it seems to be well-liked and a possible winner):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX-Nwl4U8t4
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-02-17, 6:40

It's always so nice to see North American/Western European people treating Indian culture as something normal, for a change. :) It gets exoticized way too often, so I appreciate it.

"Tsetsegtei Kharmai" by Egschiglen (I think that's something like [eksˈtʃiɢlen]) is apparently a song in the Darkhad dialect of Mongolian, also spoken in northern Mongolia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PVaHcimI6Q

meidei

Postby meidei » 2015-02-18, 11:04

Found this new arrangement of the famous Nazim Hikmet poem

(el) Mikrókosmos (Microcosm), by KollektivA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEOebGlcOjI
Knows:Cypriot Standard Greek & Cypriot Spoken Greek (el-cy)| (en)|Standard Greek - Greece's Written Standard (el)
Attempting:  (tr) (sgn-CY)
Resuming shorty: (fr)
Forgetting: (ja)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-02-19, 2:44

Xibe is a Tungusic language now spoken exclusively in Xinjiang (northwestern China), even though it used to be spoken in northeastern China (and apparently also Inner Mongolia, albeit more recently). It is mutually intelligible with Manchu and considered by some (e.g. Jerry Norman) to be a dialect of it. "Akyn" is a song in Xibe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh3zQxqUZkc

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2015-02-22, 1:21

Ehh, don't really like that Sibe song, but Sung Sidung sings a few really good songs in Manchu, often along with Mandarin. This one following is my favorite, and as far as I can tell the part in Mandarin says the same as the Manchu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0py_I25Q0ys

I found a (rock? pop? idk) band that sings in Abkhaz, and I really like it! The singing starts around 2:44.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjb6ZjWw6N8

It sounds a lot to me like the Egyptian as heard in Nyarlathotep by The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX6HKwOdGZg
(Lyrics found here.)

Whose music always reminds me of the part starting around 0:25 in Come Out and Play by The Offspring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWH85xlhZbI
     Native:  (en-US)
Advanced:  (eu)
 Learning:  (la)

Varislintu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Varislintu » 2015-02-26, 12:52

This is not usually my kind of thing, but I keep going back to listen to it, just to hear what she is doing with that voice, and see her completely rock the performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc2ytbGyMrw
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2015-02-26, 14:33

Varislintu wrote:I'm listening to this Finland-bhangra-pop band sing about the morning bus in my home neighbourhood. :lol:

That was awesome.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-02-27, 2:34

Yes, it was.

This is a video containing various songs in Brokpa made by people documenting the language. Brokpa is apparently a variety of Shina spoken in Ladakh (which makes up most of the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir), and its speakers are Buddhist although they continue to practice some pre-Buddhist rituals as well. (Shina is a Dardic language spoken in Gilgit-Baltistan, but Brokpa is apparently not mutually intelligible with other varieties of Shina). With each song, the Brokpa-speakers in this video also provide an explanation (in Brokpa). Towards the end, one of them complains that younger speakers no longer listen to their traditional songs and listen to pop songs in Ladakhi (the Tibetic language spoken by the majority of the population of Ladakh) instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdB-ZIbp64c

TheStrayCat

Postby TheStrayCat » 2015-02-27, 3:02

Патрислав Андреевич wrote:I don’t really listen (or like) rap, even lyrics are not something I like. However this song is in all Slavonic languages (national at least, and for some reason excluding Belarussian I think :?), which makes it really interesting. There are lyrics on-screen in Russian (except for Russian itself.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u27a3CKZZjk

There's one line in Belarusian in the part by Mih ("together we'll win").

Interesting how rapping makes all Slavic languages sound very alike. Normally I can identify spoken Polish or Serbo-Croatian, but this song is a real mish-mash with some familiar words audible here and there.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2015-02-27, 10:31

TheStrayCat wrote:There's one line in Belarusian in the part by Mih ("together we'll win").

:yep: Будзем разам, пераможам.

And yes, Slavic languages sound awesome, all of them.

Fabiano

Postby Fabiano » 2015-03-05, 21:50

Julio Iglesias- Mammy Blue.

I'm not at home, so no link.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-03-06, 8:03

Zangskari is an endangered Tibetic language spoken mostly in a part of Ladakh called Zanskar, although this video (which has a song in Zangskari) uses pictures from Dharamsala, where the Dalai Lama lives (about 900 km south of Zanskar). Zangskari appears to be fairly closely related to Ladakhi from what little I can tell:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96jCBw1mNJQ

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-03-06, 21:43

I love this video, the song passes perfectly. Maybe I'm going to see the movie sometime.

(hu) Nemes Levente - Madárka

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQdTIy6L3NQ
Hungarian (hu) Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára. _______German (de) Wo ein Wille ist, da ist auch ein Weg.
English (en) Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. __Spanish (es) No hay ceguera peor que no querer mirar.
Romanian (ro) Nu întinde arcul până nu este bine aşezată săgeata.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-03-07, 0:03

This is a video of people (mostly women) dancing in Chamba, Himachal Pradesh. The music in the background is performed on drums and I think some kind of bagpipes, possibly mashak. I don't think they're Scottish bagpipes, but then I don't know much about bagpipes anyway lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmXRGdkPPLY

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-03-07, 23:23

Kinnauri is a Sino-Tibetan language also spoken in Himachal Pradesh (in eastern Himachal Pradesh, in Kinnaur district, which is east of Lahaul and Spiti district). Specifically, it is a West Himalayish language (probably the one with the greatest number of speakers). The songs in this video are in Kinnauri:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8EYZBviHF8

Патрислав Андреевич

Postby Патрислав Андреевич » 2015-03-09, 21:09

„Miej serce i patrzaj w serce!” — Adam Mickiewicz

Return to “Culture”