[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
What should a well-educated person know? - Page 6 - UniLang

What should a well-educated person know?

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderators: Car, Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Global Moderators

Yasna

Re: What should a well-educated person know?

Postby Yasna » 2014-11-30, 13:22

IpseDixit wrote:If you think that world religions deserve just some space in a world history textbook, well, that actually confirms our suspects.

Let's get a little more concrete. Compared to say biology, how much time do you think should be devoted to learning about religion in school? Equal time? Half time?

No. We were wondering whether all the things in your list are of personal importance to you, which is a very different thing from saying that you included everything that is of personal importance to you in the list.

I aspire to be a well-educated person, so by definition anything that I think a well-educated person should know is of personal importance to me.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-11-30, 20:03

I would say more time should be spent on religion than biology. But that's a personal response.
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-12-03, 20:07

Let's get a little more concrete. Compared to say biology, how much time do you think should be devoted to learning about religion in school? Equal time? Half time?

Probably equal time.

I aspire to be a well-educated person, so by definition anything that I think a well-educated person should know is of personal importance to me.

Well, your list is so biased towards certain kinds of disciplines that to me the other way around actually looks true, that is what is of personal importance to you is what a well-educated person should know.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-12-06, 18:12

Koko wrote:I would say more time should be spent on religion than biology. But that's a personal response.
Why? Not that I think religion is useless, but biology is a fundamental branch of science. I think they deserve at least equal time.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-12-06, 18:58

Simply because I like religion more than biology. To be less bias and more reasonable, I agree both require equal time.
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2014-12-07, 8:59

I like Hinduism more than biology. :)
learning:  (ne)  (sv)  (es-ar)  (hi) (Assamese, Gujarati, Hindi, Telugu)

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2014-12-09, 21:51

IpseDixit wrote:Well, your list is so biased towards certain kinds of disciplines that to me the other way around actually looks true, that is what is of personal importance to you is what a well-educated person should know.

Biased compared to what? I don't know what your school was like, but in my secondary school we didn't have to take a single class in religion or philosophy, but of course we had to take chemistry, biology, physics, history, and lots of math. And I think that was a well-balanced curriculum. I believe that a core goal of education should be to create individuals who will be able to advance civilization, in small and big ways. Things like religion, philosophy, and sociology are only of cursory interest in that context. They aren't totally irrelevant, but they play only a side role in the advancement of civilization.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-12-09, 22:14

Biased compared to what?

To the wide range of existing disciplines.

Yasna wrote:Things like religion, philosophy, and sociology are only of cursory interest in that context. They aren't totally irrelevant, but they play only a side role in the advancement of civilization.

Well, that's just your opinion. Personally I find that statement quite arguable. I value philosophy and sociology more than religion, though.

BTW my curriculum had all the things you mentioned plus philosophy, Italian, Latin and English (language and literature), art /art history, geography, an introduction to astronomy and geology and religion (which was not mandatory).

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-12-10, 1:30

I should've gone to your school Ipse! That sounds like my idea of what school should teach.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-12-10, 4:27

I'm really failing to see how history contributes to the advancement of civilization more than philosophy does, and also not seeing why it's necessary to know lots of math unless you plan to have a career in science (especially physical science) or finance or something.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-12-10, 6:19

Or why religion and sociology are of only cursory interest, too.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-12-11, 7:21

vijayjohn wrote:Or why religion and sociology are of only cursory interest, too.
They are to him, and that's all that matters. (Although I don't care much for sociology, I don't think it's less important than any other subject, and I took a course in high school on sociology, psychology and anthropology which was very interesting and useful.)

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-12-11, 13:36

The funny thing is that our concept of history is mainly the product of a Judeo-Christian idea of time, whereby time is seen as something linear that has a beginning and an end (as opposed to the cyclic concept of time of the Greeks), but of course you cannot know this if you don't study some philosophy and religion.

Return to “Culture”