[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
World music - UniLang

World music

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderators: Car, Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Global Moderators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

World music

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-12-12, 7:04

I think it's fair to say that this is the kind of music I generally listen to. I'm not sure what will become of this thread, whether anybody else is interested in world music, or even whether anybody else will post in it, but I think I'll take the risk anyway. :P

So yeah, is anyone else into world music? Like, just listening to music from all over the world, folk songs and stuff like that? :)

Allekanger

Re: World music

Postby Allekanger » 2014-12-12, 7:19

We have a radio channel that airs world music that I sometimes listen to and I really like it. Although sometimes it does become too folk-y and I wish they would air more sort of pop songs too, just for the variation.

World music to me would ideally be every kind of music out there. Saying someone's music is world music is kind of assuming a norm, perhaps Western mainstream pop music, and I don't really like doing that, but oh well...
- svenska, English, español, 日本語, (julev)sámegiella, kalaallisut.

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2014-12-12, 15:56

I don't like ''world'' folk, but ''world'' pop is okay with me. :wink:
Something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcL6ZErM49Q
learning:  (ne)  (sv)  (es-ar)  (hi) (Assamese, Gujarati, Hindi, Telugu)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-12-12, 16:53

"World music" has got to be one of the most parochial and chauvinistic marketing terms ever devised. As far as I can tell, it's just a catch-all for anything besides mainstream music from Anglophone countries. It tells me as much about someone's actual music taste as "I like rock".

Some of the genres I enjoy which fall into this category include chalga, gypsy punk, and bhangra. I used to listen more to African genres like mbaqanga, highlife, raï, zouk, and bikutsi and I still enjoy to mainstream artists which incorporate elements of those styles into their music, like Laurie Anderson or Vampire Weekend.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-12-12, 17:26

Allekanger wrote:We have a radio channel that airs world music that I sometimes listen to and I really like it. Although sometimes it does become too folk-y and I wish they would air more sort of pop songs too, just for the variation.

World music to me would ideally be every kind of music out there. Saying someone's music is world music is kind of assuming a norm, perhaps Western mainstream pop music, and I don't really like doing that, but oh well...

Yeah, I don't like listening only to folk songs either. I'd like to think the songs I post here on UniLang would make for a nice, multivaried, multilingual generic-world-music-and-not-just-folk channel. :lol:
linguoboy wrote:"World music" has got to be one of the most parochial and chauvinistic marketing terms ever devised. As far as I can tell, it's just a catch-all for anything besides mainstream music from Anglophone countries. It tells me as much about someone's actual music taste as "I like rock".

Yeah, but "anything besides mainstream music from Anglophone countries" is a fairly accurate description of the kind of music I like. :lol: I mean, it's hard to put into a few words what kinds of songs I like, really. I don't think I can always even identify what genre a song belongs to. :lol: (In fact, come to think of it, I don't think I can identify the genre of most of the songs I've posted on the "music in minority languages" thread). So for me, it seems to be a pretty convenient term. :P

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2014-12-12, 21:46

linguoboy wrote:"World music" has got to be one of the most parochial and chauvinistic marketing terms ever devised. As far as I can tell, it's just a catch-all for anything besides mainstream music from Anglophone countries. It tells me as much about someone's actual music taste as "I like rock".

What's worse, for a lot of people it seems to have become a derogative term by now. E.g. an internet friend of mine was pleasantly surprised when listening to La oreja de Van Gogh (I had brought them up) that's it's "not world music" and went on that "if it was in English or German, it could be successful here, too".
Please correct my mistakes!

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-12-13, 21:31

I'm not really a fan of world music, but I like Western artists who incorporate it into their music such as Talking Heads. I'm not sure if this would qualify as fusion or not.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-12-13, 21:32

Car wrote:an internet friend of mine was pleasantly surprised when listening to La oreja de Van Gogh (I had brought them up) that's it's "not world music"

mōdgethanc wrote:I'm not really a fan of world music, but I like Western artists who incorporate it into their music such as Talking Heads. I'm not sure if this would qualify as fusion or not.

Haha, I'm afraid I wouldn't know. :lol:

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2014-12-13, 22:53

A pet peeve of mine is when people use the term "foreign movie" to refer to a non-American movie. It'd be fine if it was only Americans using such term, but no, people of other nationalities use it as well these days. It went from meaning "a movie from a different country than ours" to "a non-American movie". Hearing a Swede calling Amélie a "foreign movie" and simply calling The Terminator a "movie" makes me wanna face-palm. And I also find it annoying how some people these days believe that liking a "foreign movie" makes them more knowledgeable about cinema. As if there was any difference between a good American movie and a Slovenian one.
Fluent: (en) Intermediate:  (de) Wants to learn:  (nl) (fr) (ja) (no)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-12-14, 1:43

Are "foreign movies" ghettoised abroad in the same way they are here? It's almost unheard of for one to get a general release in American theatres. They all get shunted off to "art cinemas" regardless of whether they're niche films or crowdpleasers in their countries of origin.

The only prominent exception I can think of in the last decade or so is Kung Fu Hustle. Up until then, I'd only ever seen Hong Kong films on video or in film festivals put on by student film groups. If American distributors believe a movie has potential for the US market, they usually just remake it.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2014-12-14, 3:48

linguoboy wrote:Are "foreign movies" ghettoised abroad in the same way they are here? It's almost unheard of for one to get a general release in American theatres. They all get shunted off to "art cinemas" regardless of whether they're niche films or crowdpleasers in their countries of origin.

The only prominent exception I can think of in the last decade or so is Kung Fu Hustle. Up until then, I'd only ever seen Hong Kong films on video or in film festivals put on by student film groups. If American distributors believe a movie has potential for the US market, they usually just remake it.

Nah, not at all. Unless they're indie films or something, but that's a different story. Big "foreign movies" like Amélie, [i]Goodbye Lenin[/i], etc. have all gotten released in regular cinemas throughout the country.

As for the thread subject, yea, "World Music" is a crappy vague label.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-12-14, 3:55

Prowler wrote:As for the thread subject, yea, "World Music" is a crappy vague label.

Hey, that's a little harsh, isn't it? If you can think of a better title for it, why don't you just suggest one?

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2014-12-14, 4:06

vijayjohn wrote:
Prowler wrote:As for the thread subject, yea, "World Music" is a crappy vague label.

Hey, that's a little harsh, isn't it? If you can think of a better title for it, why don't you just suggest one?

I won't come up with one because it's a label that encompasses several genres from around the world that can be quite different from each other. Doesn't really clue the consumer in on what he's listening to at all.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-12-14, 5:11

I dunno, I'm not sure whether that's necessarily a bad thing, to be honest, and I'd like to see what other users besides just you and linguoboy think as well. (And for the record, this thread didn't just come out of nowhere; I brought up the idea here and decided to start trying to make some new threads that were about other kinds of music that haven't been covered here yet).

Anyway, if this is a bad thread title, can we at least come up with an alternative of some sort, and if so, what would it be? Would it be better if we instead had one thread for each of several genres? And what would those genres be? If we made the thread titles too specific, would that perhaps result in the creation of too many threads? Or is that not a problem?

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2014-12-14, 10:48

I don't think it's the thread title that's the problem, but the genre name. World music is lumping so much together that it doesn't make sense to even list it as a genre. As a catch-all thread, it's probably fine and I didn't have the impression that the thread title was seen as problematic, but the term itself.

Thanks for the correction, vijay, what a stupid mistake to make.

As for the films, what Prowler wrote is true for Germany as well.

Marah
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Marah » 2014-12-14, 11:15

linguoboy wrote:Are "foreign movies" ghettoised abroad in the same way they are here? It's almost unheard of for one to get a general release in American theatres. They all get shunted off to "art cinemas" regardless of whether they're niche films or crowdpleasers in their countries of origin.

In Spain and Portugal, "Intouchables" was released in average theaters. However, in France, I'm not sure that I've seen "foreign movies" in average theaters.
Par exemple, l'enfant croit au Père Noël. L'adulte non. L'adulte ne croit pas au Père Noël. Il vote.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2014-12-14, 17:10

Prowler wrote:I won't come up with one because it's a label that encompasses several genres from around the world that can be quite different from each other. Doesn't really clue the consumer in on what he's listening to at all.

It reminds me of the term "Asia", which also encompasses such widely diverging concepts that the term itself borders on meaningless.

I was pleasantly surprised to recently see a big advertisement poster for a Bollywood movie in a normal theater around here. (Presumably they were actually going to play the movie there too.)
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-12-14, 17:19

Yasna wrote:I was pleasantly surprised to recently see a big advertisement poster for a Bollywood movie in a normal theater around here. (Presumably they were actually going to play the movie there too.)

One of the cineplexes downtown has started showing Bollywood films. (My husband recently saw Haider there.) But it's kind of a thing now for some of the bigger cinemas (this one has 21 screens) to devote a few screens to "art house" films. This the same theatre I've gone to to see live simulcasts from the Metropolitan Opera, after all. I think Cinemark (#3 among cinema chains) pioneered this model and now AMC (#2) is poaching it.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-12-15, 4:11

Car wrote:I don't think it's the thread title that's the problem, but the genre name. World music is lumping so much together that it doesn't make sense to even list it as a genre. As a catch-all thread, it's probably fine and I didn't have the impression that the thread title was seen as problematic, but the term itself.

OK, that makes sense. Thanks!

Eh, no worries. I figured it was a typo, tbh, but thought I'd point it out anyway after looking at your sig again. :lol:

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2014-12-15, 9:32

vijayjohn wrote:

Eh, no worries. I figured it was a typo, tbh, but thought I'd point it out anyway after looking at your sig again. :lol:

Yes, it was, that's why it was so stupid. :lol: Good to know someone notices my sig. ;)

Return to “Culture”