[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
World music - Page 2 - UniLang

World music

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderators: Car, Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Global Moderators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: World music

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-12-15, 17:49

Car wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:
Thanks for the correction, vijay, what a stupid mistake to make.

Eh, no worries. I figured it was a typo, tbh, but thought I'd point it out anyway after looking at your sig again. :lol:

Yes, it was, that's why it was so stupid. :lol: Good to know someone notices my sig. ;)

Eh, we all make typos. ;)

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2015-02-05, 23:11

Yasna wrote:
Prowler wrote:I won't come up with one because it's a label that encompasses several genres from around the world that can be quite different from each other. Doesn't really clue the consumer in on what he's listening to at all.

It reminds me of the term "Asia", which also encompasses such widely diverging concepts that the term itself borders on meaningless.

linguoboy wrote:Are "foreign movies" ghettoised abroad in the same way they are here? It's almost unheard of for one to get a general release in American theatres. They all get shunted off to "art cinemas" regardless of whether they're niche films or crowdpleasers in their countries of origin.

I was pleasantly surprised to recently see a big advertisement poster for a Bollywood movie in a normal theater around here. (Presumably they were actually going to play the movie there too.)

Big bollywood releases play in some theaters here and NJ.
अहिंसा
TAC 2015:  (hi) (ja) (ar) (fr)
Loves: (bn) (ta) (id) (tr) (ur)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-02-06, 1:01

Meera wrote:
Yasna wrote:
Prowler wrote:I won't come up with one because it's a label that encompasses several genres from around the world that can be quite different from each other. Doesn't really clue the consumer in on what he's listening to at all.

It reminds me of the term "Asia", which also encompasses such widely diverging concepts that the term itself borders on meaningless.

linguoboy wrote:Are "foreign movies" ghettoised abroad in the same way they are here? It's almost unheard of for one to get a general release in American theatres. They all get shunted off to "art cinemas" regardless of whether they're niche films or crowdpleasers in their countries of origin.

I was pleasantly surprised to recently see a big advertisement poster for a Bollywood movie in a normal theater around here. (Presumably they were actually going to play the movie there too.)

Big bollywood releases play in some theaters here and NJ.

Hmm...large Indian communities? Although, does Philly have an especially large Indian community? And what about NY? :hmm:

hreru

Postby hreru » 2015-02-06, 10:30

I enjoy listening to world music from time to time though I hardly remember any genres or names too much, and I like the term as well. It's a good general term for all kinds of music based on traditional roots all around the world, including the West. I've never thought of it as of a genre. World music is not worse than classical music or popular music; these terms also include many different styles. (By the way, linguoboy, I had a look at wikipedia and it made me laugh when I read "To these critics, "world music" is a parochial, catch-all marketing term for non-Western music of all genres." Only chauvinistic is missing there. Have you perhaps written it or is this standard vocabulary used by the critics? :P)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-02-06, 22:54

hreru wrote:I enjoy listening to world music from time to time

It's always great to see somebody else who does! 8-)

Return to “Culture”