[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Random Culture Thread - Page 3 - UniLang

Random Culture Thread

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderators: Car, Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Global Moderators

IpseDixit

Re: Random Culture Thread

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-02-12, 20:02

vijayjohn wrote:
IpseDixit wrote:it's kind of part of the collective imagination that Neapolitans always say cumpà or uagliò.

What does uagliò mean?

It means dude. [I've looked that up and it seems it's actually spelt guaglió].

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-02-13, 18:52

Thanks! :)

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-02-16, 13:50

I was wondering if other countries had parking spots reserved to pregnant women.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-02-16, 18:08

In Poland there are.
Hungarian (hu) Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára. _______German (de) Wo ein Wille ist, da ist auch ein Weg.
English (en) Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. __Spanish (es) No hay ceguera peor que no querer mirar.
Romanian (ro) Nu întinde arcul până nu este bine aşezată săgeata.

Патрислав Андреевич

Postby Патрислав Андреевич » 2015-02-16, 18:21

Levike wrote:In Poland there are.

Never seen any. :? I’d guess they’re in Warsaw, and I didn’t really see much of it, so…
„Miej serce i patrzaj w serce!” — Adam Mickiewicz

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-02-16, 19:32

Патрислав Андреевич wrote:Never seen any. :? I’d guess they’re in Warsaw, and I didn’t really see much of it, so…
Yep, I only saw them in Warsaw.

And they only had like one sign to point it out, they weren't coloured in pink like in IpseDixit's pics.
Hungarian (hu) Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára. _______German (de) Wo ein Wille ist, da ist auch ein Weg.
English (en) Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. __Spanish (es) No hay ceguera peor que no querer mirar.
Romanian (ro) Nu întinde arcul până nu este bine aşezată săgeata.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-02-16, 19:51

In the US, from what I can tell, whether to have such parking spaces is an issue that is still being debated. There are some places that do have designated parking spaces for pregnant women, others that do not (even within the same city), and still others where pregnant women are or may be allowed to use parking spaces reserved for the disabled.

Varislintu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Varislintu » 2015-02-16, 19:55

We don't have them, and to be honest car driving is such a masculine culture here (and entitled -- you have to bloody well get to park right in front of the door and pedestrians be damned!) that I don't think that would even be possible to introduce. :whistle:
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Ludwig Whitby

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2015-02-16, 20:19

Hmm... communication through singing, does that happen in rural areas in your countries?

Seems weird, but these people really enjoy it, apparently. It's only the women who sing in the video, I'm not sure if that's a rule. I'm guessing they sing what they can't say outright, since they sing instead of arguing with each other and they sing to the man who's ordered them to stop the show and start working. Men should be able to say everything outright without resorting to singing, I guess.

One of the song was sexual, it's cool how free they are about it. And they kept talking about knees. I didn't really get why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G247cU6Yxs
(The video is from Bosnia, not Serbia, though.)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-02-16, 21:17

Ludwig Whitby wrote:Hmm... communication through singing, does that happen in rural areas in your countries?

Not that I know of. I remember hearing of that happening in Tibet, though (supposedly because it's mountainous and you have to either shout or sing to get a message across from one mountain to another). I'm sure I've heard of it elsewhere, too, but that's the only example I can remember right now for some weird reason. :lol:

This reminds me of a story my dad told me about a Malayalee music teacher who insisted that his students communicate only by singing poems, never by talking. One day, while the teacher wasn't home, his house caught fire. One of his students noticed and yelled out to the teacher, then caught himself and sang out his message with appropriately poetic lyrics instead. :lol:

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2015-02-17, 12:35

Ludwig Whitby wrote:communication through singing, does that happen in rural areas in your countries?

It's weird, I've been living in Turkey for half a year now but I feel alienated from Turks, while I would not hesitate to come up and talk to the people in the video, they look and feel "наши" ("ours").

Lada
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Lada » 2015-02-17, 15:04

voron wrote:
Ludwig Whitby wrote:communication through singing, does that happen in rural areas in your countries?

It's weird, I've been living in Turkey for half a year now but I feel alienated from Turks

I think it's not weird, it's quite normal... In mosct cases it's difficult to adapt to new way of life for adults. That's what I heard and saw myself, at least it concerns people who were born in USSR including my generation. I guess it doesn't happen with everyone, but many people come back from abroad...

Ludwig Whitby

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2015-02-17, 15:38

voron wrote:

It's weird, I've been living in Turkey for half a year now but I feel alienated from Turks, while I would not hesitate to come up and talk to the people in the video, they look and feel "наши" ("ours").

And they're so happy and carefree. It'd probably be a very pleasant (albeit a bit surreal) experience.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2015-02-17, 16:12

Lada wrote:In most cases it's difficult to adapt to new way of life for adults. That's what I heard and saw myself, at least it concerns people who were born in USSR including my generation. I guess it doesn't happen with everyone, but many people come back from abroad...

I mean I feel pretty comfortable living here, and I deal fine with my new friends and colleagues. There are not so many cultural differences anyway, we've become pretty much the same due to globalization. I spent 2 more years abroad when I was younger so I guess I can adapt easily.

But when I need to deal with people from another (lower) class, I feel like I don't fit. They would call me "brother", and use the informal "you" (Turkish distinguishes between informal "you" and formal "you" just like Russian and French do), and ask about my work, salary and marital status, then ask if I'm a Muslim, and all that in an accent that I sometimes have difficulties understanding, interspersed with phrases containing Allah (inşallah, eyvallah, alhamdulillah etc). Well, it may just be the class difference, but I have an impression that if I dealt with people from a Bosnian village I'd have an easier time. Perhaps I should try and see.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-02-20, 2:16

vijayjohn wrote:
Levike wrote:Really? Is it impolite to blow your nose in front of people?

I've certainly heard it is in some countries. For instance, I've heard this about both Turkey and Japan before.

Depends on the location here. If you're in the class at any time it's not really polite to blow your nose loudly. I suppose if you're just going down the street it's "whatever." But at least at home it's hard for me to blow my nose when someone else is close in vicinity, so I always go to another room or someplace they shouldn't be disturbed. Really, what she says people where she lives do, we do.
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2015-03-14, 16:18

I think most people here would always turn their back to you when they blow their nose, or go to another room when possible. To me it seems really impolite to show your illness. People usually say sorry too when they're coughing, for example.
Interests: lots.
Motivation: little.

Corrections appreciated.

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2015-03-14, 16:24

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:I think most people here would always turn their back to you when they blow their nose, or go to another room when possible. To me it seems really impolite to show your illness. People usually say sorry too when they're coughing, for example.

Then we should ban obese people and nicotine-addicts from all open spaces,
because these are illnesses as well. :para:
Children may spot an overweight woman stepping out of a Mcdonals restaurant and decide to get a burger. :silly:
learning:  (ne)  (sv)  (es-ar)  (hi) (Assamese, Gujarati, Hindi, Telugu)

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2015-03-14, 16:45

That's obviously different than having a cold, something that'll be passing soon. I mean, I don't think people with disabilities shouldn't go outside, on the contrary, but when you're sneezing or coughing you're just spreading diseases.

Though I wholeheartedly would support a nicotine ban in public space (or everywhere that's not within your house).

Corrections appreciated.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-03-14, 18:15

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:That's obviously different than having a cold, something that'll be passing soon. I mean, I don't think people with disabilities shouldn't go outside, on the contrary, but when you're sneezing or coughing you're just spreading diseases.

What if you have chronic allergies like I do? I've had them for most of my life, so it's obviously not something that just comes once and goes away. And it's not a disease either, nor does it mean I'm always sneezing or coughing even though it does mean that I almost always have some nasal blockage.
Though I wholeheartedly would support a nicotine ban in public space (or everywhere that's not within your house).

I don't. Say what you like about the dangers of getting addicted to tobacco, but if you are addicted already, what are you supposed to do outside your house? Aren't the effects of addiction adverse enough in and of themselves? Why punish addicts even more? Besides, it's never easy to quit.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2015-03-14, 18:41

vijayjohn wrote:
Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:That's obviously different than having a cold, something that'll be passing soon. I mean, I don't think people with disabilities shouldn't go outside, on the contrary, but when you're sneezing or coughing you're just spreading diseases.

What if you have chronic allergies like I do? I've had them for most of my life, so it's obviously not something that just comes once and goes away. And it's not a disease either, nor does it mean I'm always sneezing or coughing even though it does mean that I almost always have some nasal blockage.

Hey, I'm not saying it should be forbidden to sneeze or cough! Just that it's polite to turn your back to people when you do and say sorry. I have hayfever so I can relate with the allergy thing :)

I don't. Say what you like about the dangers of getting addicted to tobacco, but if you are addicted already, what are you supposed to do outside your house? Aren't the effects of addiction adverse enough in and of themselves? Why punish addicts even more? Besides, it's never easy to quit.
[/quote]

I realise that (it's not easy to quit and quite an unrealistic plan), however, the point is that the effects of their addiction affect other people too. I really hate it when the building where I live stinks so much that breathing is difficult, I hate to walk in other people's smoke, but what I hate most about it, is that it is so unhealthy! That's also the difference with obese people: I don't mind seeing an obese person because that's not affecting my health. When people smoke though, they are affecting my health too.

Corrections appreciated.

Return to “Culture”