[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Discussion Group - Page 252 - UniLang

Discussion Group

Moderators: JackFrost, dEhiN

Ciarán12
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Discussion Group

Postby Ciarán12 » 2015-01-18, 20:29

Bittereinder wrote:
Thought I might post this one. It's a poem that's almost the same in English and Afrikaans.

It's an advertisement of Bryanston Parallel Medium School.

Do you mean that the poem's word order is almost the same in Afrikaans or that the whole thing is almost the same (the vocab, pronunciations etc.)? Could you post an Afrikaans version?
Beidh Gaeilge líofa chruinn bhlasta agam nó go bhfaighe mé bás san iarracht!

Bittereinder
Country: ZA South Africa (Suid-Afrika / uMzantsi Afrika / South Africa)

Postby Bittereinder » 2015-01-18, 20:55

Do you mean that the poem's word order is almost the same in Afrikaans or that the whole thing is almost the same (the vocab, pronunciations etc.)? Could you post an Afrikaans version?

The whole thing is almost the same, except in pronunciation:

My pen is my wonderland.
(Word water)* in my hand.
In my pen is wonder ink.
Stories sing. Stories sink.

My stories loop*. My stories stop.
My pen is my wonder mop.
Drink letters. Drink my ink.
My pen is blind. My stories blink.

*Word water:
English - ink [in my hand]
Afrikaans - becomes water [in my hand]

*loop:
English - [my stories] repeat
Afrikaans - [my stories] walk

The meaning and spelling is exactly the same with the rest.
Openbaring 21:6
"Verder sê Hy vir my: Dit het klaar gebeur. Ek is die Alfa en die Omega, die Begin en die Einde. Aan elkeen wat dors het, sal Ek te drinke gee uit die fontein met die water van die lewe, verniet. "

Marah
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Marah » 2015-02-06, 21:40

I know that in American English people say "a pay raise" instead of "a pay rise", which would be British English. But would you say "to raise pays" or "to rise pays" in American English?
Par exemple, l'enfant croit au Père Noël. L'adulte non. L'adulte ne croit pas au Père Noël. Il vote.

Ciarán12
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Ciarán12 » 2015-02-06, 23:24

Marah wrote:I know that in American English people say "a pay raise" instead of "a pay rise", which would be British English. But would you say "to raise pays" or "to rise pays" in American English?

Oddly, I would say "a raise" but "a pay rise". Also, "rise" can't be transitive, so it would have to be "to raise (one's) pay". And "pays" here in the plural would sound weird to me.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-02-08, 4:57

Marah wrote:I know that in American English people say "a pay raise" instead of "a pay rise", which would be British English. But would you say "to raise pays" or "to rise pays" in American English?

Can you give me the full context? Because I think we might use an entirely different expression, such as "increase wages".
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Marah
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Marah » 2015-02-08, 12:27

Ciaran wrote:Oddly, I would say "a raise" but "a pay rise". Also, "rise" can't be transitive, so it would have to be "to raise (one's) pay". And "pays" here in the plural would sound weird to me.

Got it. Thanks.
linguoboy wrote:Can you give me the full context? Because I think we might use an entirely different expression, such as "increase wages".

Hum, I don't know. I imagined something like "The employer can decide to raise their employees' pay".
So, you wouldn't say it that way but rather "The employer can decide to increase their employees' wages"?
Par exemple, l'enfant croit au Père Noël. L'adulte non. L'adulte ne croit pas au Père Noël. Il vote.

Marah
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Marah » 2015-02-11, 20:32

Is it just my L2 impression or the construction "I don't know that it's true" or "I don't know that he'll come to the party" when you mean "I don't know if it's true" or "I don't know if he"ll come to the party" has become old-fashioned? I hear it a lot in Mad Men but the series takes place in the 60's. How would you perceive it?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-02-12, 4:27

Marah wrote:Hum, I don't know. I imagined something like "The employer can decide to raise their employees' pay". So, you wouldn't say it that way but rather "The employer can decide to increase their employees' wages"?
I think in that instance "The employer can decide to increase their employees' pay" sounds most natural. More formally, I might replace "their employee's pay" with "employee compensation". More informally, I would say, "The employer can decide to pay their employees more."
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Marah
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Marah » 2015-02-12, 7:28

Thanks!

Varislintu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Varislintu » 2015-02-13, 15:44

Is "badge-performance" or "badge performance" a real English word, or just something Google translate has made up? It would mean something akin to "exemplary performance" or "a success".
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-02-14, 5:22

Varislintu wrote:Is "badge-performance" or "badge performance" a real English word, or just something Google translate has made up? It would mean something akin to "exemplary performance" or "a success".
Never heard it before, but that doesn't mean it isn't customary somewhere. "Gold-medal performance" is a more widespread usage.

Varislintu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Varislintu » 2015-02-14, 8:40

linguoboy wrote:
Varislintu wrote:Is "badge-performance" or "badge performance" a real English word, or just something Google translate has made up? It would mean something akin to "exemplary performance" or "a success".
Never heard it before, but that doesn't mean it isn't customary somewhere. "Gold-medal performance" is a more widespread usage.

Google doesn't seem to find such a word either, really. So, Google Translate probably made it up. And I nearly decided to adopt it as a word into my vocabulary, before all my source criticism bells went off. :para:
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Ciarán12
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Ciarán12 » 2015-02-20, 14:22

I'm not sure how widespread this is, but do you guys use the verb "to go" for quotations, as "So he comes into the room and goes "How's it going?" and I go "Grand, and yourself?"".

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-02-20, 15:53

Ciarán12 wrote:I'm not sure how widespread this is, but do you guys use the verb "to go" for quotations, as "So he comes into the room and goes "How's it going?" and I go "Grand, and yourself?"".
This has a juvenile ring to me. We used it all the time as children but our teachers hated it and tried to shame us out of it. Nowadays I'm more likely to use quotative like.

Ciarán12
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Ciarán12 » 2015-02-20, 17:44

Interesting. I've never thought of it as juvenile, only very informal. The quotative "like" is widespread amongst the younger generations here (the younger they are, the more they use it). My parents would never use it, my speech is reasonable heavily peppered with it and teenagers now seem to have basically replaced every other possible way of introducing a quote with the quotative "like" construction. To me it sounds very D4 (read "Valley Girl").

Lazar Taxon

Postby Lazar Taxon » 2015-02-22, 3:27

It bugs me that there isn't an evident one-word term I can use for the third largest ocean. "Captain Hornblower served in the Atlantic, the Pacific and the… Indian?" That doesn't sound right. I'm tempted to call it the Indic (Ocean) by analogy with Spanish and German.
Native:  (en-us) Good:  (es)  (fr) Okay:  (de)  (la) Beginning:  (it) Interested in:  (he)  (hi)  (ru)

Today we are cats in the apocalypse!

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-02-27, 4:43

It only sounds wrong out of context to me and everybody I've asked. How does it sound "not right?"
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

Lazar Taxon

Postby Lazar Taxon » 2015-03-15, 19:36

I'm curious about the stress pattern of Shailene Woodley's first name. In isolation I'd guess that it's /ʃeɪˈliːn/, but when I say her whole name, my inclination is to say /ˈʃeɪliːn ˈwʊdli/. That would make her first name a word with variable stress: this is common enough in English (compare "She's /dʒæpəˈniːz/", "/ˈdʒæpəniːz/ cooking"), but I can't recall hearing it in a personal name before.

I've found some interviews where she says her full name – for example, here and here – and she does appear to say /ˈʃeɪliːn ˈwʊdli/, which proves my intuition at least half right. But I can't find any examples where she says her first name in isolation, so that I can tell whether she stresses that differently.
Native:  (en-us) Good:  (es)  (fr) Okay:  (de)  (la) Beginning:  (it) Interested in:  (he)  (hi)  (ru)

Today we are cats in the apocalypse!

Return to “English”