[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Discussion Group - Page 248 - UniLang

Discussion Group

Moderators: JackFrost, dEhiN

Lazar Taxon

Re: Discussion Group

Postby Lazar Taxon » 2014-10-10, 23:37

I've noticed that a lot of Scots use a very high value for [ɛ] – like here, when Laura Fraser says "better". In light of the fact that Scottish English uses a monophthongal /e/, and Aitken's Law means that the length difference between /e/ and /ɛ/ is neutralized in many contexts, how do these speakers maintain a distinction between the two phonemes? You'd expect these factors to mitigate in favor of a lower value for [ɛ], not a higher one.
Native:  (en-us) Good:  (es)  (fr) Okay:  (de)  (la) Beginning:  (it) Interested in:  (he)  (hi)  (ru)

Today we are cats in the apocalypse!

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2014-10-14, 22:07

How would y'all interpret "very occasionally"? It seems ambiguous to me, as the "very" could be interpreted as either increasing or decreasing the frequency. I think. :hmm:
     Native:  (en-US)
Advanced:  (eu)
 Learning:  (la)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-10-14, 22:14

Lowena wrote:How would y'all interpret "very occasionally"? It seems ambiguous to me, as the "very" could be interpreted as either increasing or decreasing the frequency. I think. :hmm:

I can only interpret it one way: less frequently than "occasionally" normally denotes.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2014-10-14, 22:23

linguoboy wrote:
Lowena wrote:How would y'all interpret "very occasionally"? It seems ambiguous to me, as the "very" could be interpreted as either increasing or decreasing the frequency. I think. :hmm:

I can only interpret it one way: less frequently than "occasionally" normally denotes.

Yeah, that's what I'm inclined to interpret it as. Maybe it is only/normally meant that way... I don't know, I'm not good at English much anymore. :P

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-10-15, 2:44

That is something I would never say: it's too awkward. But I agree, "less frequently than occasionally" does seem to fit it best.
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

Halfdan

Postby Halfdan » 2014-10-15, 2:51

I'd only use it to emphasise just how occasionally I do something.

1: So I heard you occasionally go to the library.
2: Pff, very occasionally.

Lazar Taxon

Postby Lazar Taxon » 2014-10-16, 20:10

I called it! I saw a trailer for the new WWII movie Unbroken, and there's this line where the lead guy, who's supposed to be American, who's played by an actor I've never seen before, says, "What it says about America, it's not true." Except he says Ameriker. And at that moment I called it: dude, you're from England. Maybe New England or NYC, but you don't sound it. Maybe Australia… but probably England.

And whaddya know, I'm right. Why must they make it so damn easy to spot a fake accent? Whatever dialect coaches they have in Hollywood, they never tell British people about intrusive r's, because I hear them all the time in fake American accents. This isn't the first time I've been able to spot a Brit specifically from an intrusive r. Gah.
Native:  (en-us) Good:  (es)  (fr) Okay:  (de)  (la) Beginning:  (it) Interested in:  (he)  (hi)  (ru)

azhong

Postby azhong » 2014-10-21, 3:21

(Can someone help comment my writing practice below? Are there any sentences ungrammatical or unnatural? You can just help a sentence or two. I am especially less confident in the second paragraph. My thanks in advance.)

Louis, a wild swan, was born to lack voice. He had to find his ways of communication. He learned how to read and write. He learned how to play the trumpet. With these abilities, and with his debt also caused by his trumpet, Louis adventured his job-life in human cities, efforting to earn some money. The Trumpet of the Swan, the opening plot of which I have roughly mentioned, is an adolescent novel written by E.B.White, an U.S. writer.

The diction was simple. The sentences were simple. The story structure was simple. They suited my level. That was why I favored this book. Yet, all of these simpleness together built up a literary work of uncommon elegance. The diction, the sentences, and the story suddenly became not so simple. Every passage deserved to be carefully tasted again. That was marvelous, and is why I am reading the book again. Also, Louis's father, the cob swan, is an impressing role. The way he talks is comic and quite entertaining. The plot is poetic, encouraging, even pure. And, comparing to some other novels, I have also found the punctuation of this book seems clearer, thus a better and easier demostration for foreign learners.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-10-22, 21:33

Can someone tell me what accent the moderator of this debate has? (I mean the woman with curly red hair), TBH I'm not even 100% sure she's a native speaker or just very fluent in English :oops: :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye0iP2AYrrk

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2014-10-22, 21:35

When does she speak? That video is three hours long. :?
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-10-22, 21:43

3 min 33 sec

Halfdan

Postby Halfdan » 2014-10-22, 21:48

Doesn't sound like a native speaker, but I'm having difficulty identifying her accent.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2014-10-22, 21:51

She doesn't sound like a native speaker at all. It sounds Scandinavian to me, maybe.

Lazar Taxon

Postby Lazar Taxon » 2014-10-22, 21:55

She sounds Dutch.

Edit: Yep, she's Dutch.
Last edited by Lazar Taxon on 2014-10-22, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-10-22, 22:00

The accent did sound weird to me, but I wasn't sure whether it was some weird native accent that I had never encountered before or just a non native accent.

Lazar Taxon wrote:She sounds Dutch.

Edit: Yep, she's Dutch.

What made you think she was Dutch?

Halfdan

Postby Halfdan » 2014-10-22, 22:20

I was wondering what the "in 't Veld" meant on her nameplate. I thought it was some organisation or something. (ie. International Veld)

Lazar Taxon

Postby Lazar Taxon » 2014-10-22, 22:29

IpseDixit wrote:What made you think she was Dutch?
Well, she definitely sounds Germanic, but her intonation doesn't sound Scandinavian, and her /s/ (apical), her /ɒ/ (raised to [o̞]) and some of her diphthongs seem reminiscent of Dutch. I've known a Dutch person whose accent sounded very similar to hers.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-11-02, 20:58

In Italian we use the term "graphic novel" to refer to comic books which are supposed to be more highbrow, serious and deeper than usual comic books (I would say something like Persepolis for example). I think it is a term introduced in order to get around the bad connotations the word fumetto (comic book) has, that's to say it's not a thing for grown-ups, it's shallow, it's not real art and so on and so forth.

Now here's my question: does this term really exist in English? I know "graphic" also has the meaning of "explicit and disturbing" and this makes me inclined to think it's actually a fake anglicism, but I'm not 100% sure.

Lazar Taxon

Postby Lazar Taxon » 2014-11-02, 22:07

No, it's a real (and currently trendy) English term.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-11-02, 22:08

Lazar Taxon wrote:No, it's a real (and currently trendy) English term.

Ok, thanks!

Return to “English”